Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

Play even one indie game, or heck just a AA game

norco came out that year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Endorph posted:

imo its cool that the new gundam ended with a lesbian married couple without making a big deal of it in pressers or anything, its just a thing they did

it rules how in the first episode it just drops that any kind of marriage is fine as long as it follows the feudal rules of dueling and literally no one makes note of it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i'm playing octopath 2 and one of the characters is a guy who simultaneously wants to be a successful capitalist and also wants to use the powers of capitalism to bring wealth and prosperity to everyone and the bad guy of his storyline is an evil capitalist who wants to hoard all the wealth for himself, and you know what? it's fun to not think about it any deeper than that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also lmao at that post basically saying it's bad taste to make fun of Zack Snyder because he writes strong female characters

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GOW Ragnarok could very well be the wokest most anti-capitalist game ever made but I'll never know because I'll never play it because GOW 2018 sucked poo poo

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

In this essay I will demonstrate how Tony Hawl's Underground is an allegory for the actions of United Fruit in early 20th century Latin America,

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

GOW Ragnarok could very well be the wokest most anti-capitalist game ever made but I'll never know because I'll never play it because GOW 2018 sucked poo poo

Also this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rea posted:

Is the new Gundam worth watching if you're not already familiar with other Gundam series? I'm very slowly working through G Gundam on the recommendation of a friend but I've been told that's very different from Gundam's usual fare.
yeah g-witch rules, the whole thing was made to bring in new fans anyway. it gets a bit rushed towards the end and some plot points get dropped but its a fun ride, and the core emotional beats land.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Rea posted:

Is the new Gundam worth watching if you're not already familiar with other Gundam series? I'm very slowly working through G Gundam on the recommendation of a friend but I've been told that's very different from Gundam's usual fare.

it's also pretty different from gundam's usual fare. give the first couple episodes a shot and see if it grabs you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also its only 24 episodes. now this may be why some stuff is rushed but otoh its a lot easier to get someone to sit and watch 24 episodes than 50.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

In this essay I will demonstrate how Tony Hawl's Underground is an allegory for the actions of United Fruit in early 20th century Latin America,

That game ruled. I wish I could play it on Switch.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Some people can't engage with media for poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rea posted:

I remember Bioshock being kind of the first vanguard of the "games are art" movement in the late 2000s and looking back on it man that's embarrassing. I played the remastered version in 2021 and while it's an alright FPS with light RPG elements with decent writing for 2007 (at least as far as the criticism of Ayn Rand goes) it's absolutely not what I would prop up for games-as-art.

by far the funniest thing about the dumb "are games art" thing is that there were apparently a non zero amount of people whose answer was "games were not art until Bioshock Infinite released"

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Play even one indie game, or heck just a AA game

they need to play omori and pathologic 2

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

by far the funniest thing about the dumb "are games art" thing is that there were apparently a non zero amount of people whose answer was "games were not art until Bioshock Infinite released"

they're right

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

mass media stuff can have themes and even well executed ones but you have to approach it from the perspective of the constraints its working within rather than being its prophet here to spread the words of god of war ragnarok to the masses

but people are desperate for respect so god of war ragnarok cant just have a couple parallels to modern day politics it has to have the power to kill joe biden instantly
The new God of War games are about how the director doesn't know his wife's first language, but his son does, so the kid has to translate for him when the in-laws are talking poo poo about him over Christmas dinner. Which is an interesting angle to take for a game about turning mythological creatures into paste, but it's not exactly speaking the harshest of truths.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Reading articles praising Bioshock Infinite's writing from the time of release is really funny because man, it was really bad. Racism is bad.... but also what if killing racists made them sad? Lot to think about......

Firat game still owns imo because Mr. House is a very fun character to hate

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Bioshock 2 has the drill charge, so it's the only good one

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also like who even talks about infinite anymore? it was propped up as this insanely important release by the press when it was coming out and then like a year later it was gone.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the original bioshock is good and the intro is still pretty cool

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

playing dead rising 2 with a friend today because he never got to play it

then we're gonna do Off The Record, the best game in the series

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also like who even talks about infinite anymore? it was propped up as this insanely important release by the press when it was coming out and then like a year later it was gone.

the dlc was so embarrassing that it scared away most of the remaining defenders so you can’t really get a good argument going anymore

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Sleng Teng posted:

peep the one before it lol

What's that quote from disco elysium about how capital can defang and turn critique against capitalism into friendly moneymaking art

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Oxxidation posted:

I love games like norco, night in the woods and kentucky route zero but leftist/materialist “readings” of most stories suck because they never go further than “capitalism…is bad?” and “cooperation……is good???”

The readings don't or the games don't? I've only played NitW but it felt more like it had a vaguely materialist "vibe" about it than an actual analysis of any kind, do people try to read it deeper than that?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think a lot of people are embarrassed to talk about it because of what they said when it came out.

It’s kind of a fun fiasco to play through.

Also to go back and read stuff about; there’s probably a pretty funny thread on the forums too from the time.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Disco Elysium is an Undertale-like

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Rea posted:

yeah it's its own universe, and not really referential to other gundam either. watch it imo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah g-witch rules, the whole thing was made to bring in new fans anyway. it gets a bit rushed towards the end and some plot points get dropped but its a fun ride, and the core emotional beats land.

new fans is probably the most significant part of that statement, because a ton of anime-heads (whatever the term is) were getting super mad at it leading to fluff to have to close the thread multiple times and probe people for being weirdos.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah the original bioshock is good and the intro is still pretty cool

IMO Bioshock 1 is a good time up until after you beat Ryan to death, and then after that the game just sort of stumbles around until the bad last boss fight.

A lot of the guns kind of leave something to be desired in terms of Video Game Gunfeel but the plasmids are pretty fun. Bees just sort of solve any problem you can throw them at.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah gameplay wise it's definitely still "of its time" but as a whole experience I wouldn't have any problems recommending it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Army Of the Dead or w/e it was called was one of the worst movies I ever watched, I have no idea how people can think it's one of the best movies of all time and how poo poo likebad camerawork is actually some deep message like the snyder freaks.

Did lead to the fart pedo mod dying at least so maybe it's good afterall...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heath posted:

The readings don't or the games don't? I've only played NitW but it felt more like it had a vaguely materialist "vibe" about it than an actual analysis of any kind, do people try to read it deeper than that?

the readings don’t. stuff like nitw’s “hole in the center of everything” monologue can be a really cutting and incisive statement on the existential uncertainty of collapsing material circumstances but you tend not to find them outside of works that set out to confront those themes in the first place

I’m talking about attempts to screw on “leftist” analysis to works that obviously didn’t have it in mind, like positing tears of the kingdom is exemplary of a regressive society (source: polygon)

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 24, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The best bit of Bioshock Infinite was Ken Levine firing his entire studio and closing it down so he could go off to write one draft of a Logan's Run remake that never actually got made. As opposed to, you know, leaving the studio and letting someone else take over while he ran around Hollywood.

Videogames are basically the Bastard Craft where failed and frustrated creatives are condemned to make up extra credit, so they can ascend a rung up the ladder to the less base mediums of sitcoms or superhero comics or whatever and prove once and for all to their parents that film school wasn't a waste (even if they did drop out).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'll go to bat for the ending of Bioshock even though everyone hates it. Killing the cover of Atlas Shrugged is a very funny literal metaphor and the good end with the Little Sisters is a nice refutation of both of Andrew Ryan's beliefs (that all people are inherently selfish, and that you are a slave who can't make your own decisions). Yes it would have been better if they didn't chicken out and made the sacrifice option strictly worse, but it still works!!!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Army Of the Dead or w/e it was called was one of the worst movies I ever watched, I have no idea how people can think it's one of the best movies of all time and how poo poo likebad camerawork is actually some deep message like the snyder freaks.

Did lead to the fart pedo mod dying at least so maybe it's good afterall...

was going to kill you until i realized you werent talking about army of darkness *sheathes katana*

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

how can you not understand the deep nuance of having a zombie movie ending with the song "Zombie" by notable Irish band The Cranberries

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Was TLOU2 bad? Always hesitant to get into games that have critics weeping and applauding

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Was TLOU2 bad? Always hesitant to get into games that have critics weeping and applauding

it’s mediocre, which might be worse

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if TLOU2 was truly bad it would at least be funny that so many people are on its hog and it's already getting a remake 3 years after it came out, but it can't even be that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Babe Magnet posted:

if TLOU2 was truly bad it would at least be funny that so many people are on its hog and it's already getting a remake 3 years after it came out, but it can't even be that

It's getting a what?