Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I wish they'd do a major overhaul of the early levelling experience. Dragoon should not have to wait until level loving 40 to get an AoE attack, and Paladin shouldn't need to wait until Stormblood to get it's actual core mechanics.

Every class should have a full 123, an AoE and an oGCD attack or heal of some kind by the time you enter the first dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

I've played a healer in MMOs since 1999 so I found this exchange funny:

Dungeon 1 (no deaths, no wipes, unprompted)

Tank: Mind if I offer some healing advice?
Me: Sure
Tank: make sure you are using Cure 1 to proc free cure or else you will waste too much mana
Me: Thank you

Dungeon 2 (no deaths, no wipes, unprompted)

Tank: mind if I offer some healing advice?
Me: Sure
Tank: Don't cast cure 1, just use Cure 2 and start DPSing in fights
Me: Thank you

It is entirely possible tank 1 was pranking you

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Runa posted:

It is entirely possible tank 1 was pranking you

Not a good prank.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There are people that genuinely believe that freecure is really good

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tekopo posted:

There are people that genuinely believe that freecure is really good

those people are delusional

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the only time you might still want Cure on your hotbar is if you're doing the ARR extremes or raids at minimum item level and even then it's an edge case. I remember some of those fights having points where mana could be an issue, but as long as you're not running that content at min ilvl without a fully blind group I doubt a situation where you want to fish fore freecures ever comes up.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Cure 1 does a third the healing of a Regen for the same MP cost. Even if you're optimizing for MP it's still bad, in most cases.

I have used Cure in Savage for essentially the two situations of "I was just raised, I have no MP, and I would like to survive this next raidwide hit" and "the tank is at 10% HP and the boss isn't targetable for 10 seconds so MP efficiency beats time efficiency for once". Physick and Diagnosis are slightly more useful since they add the "I absolutely must do actual HP healing or bad things happen" case, which is likewise extremely niche but exists. Leveling adds the "leveling roulette put me in Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak and I have nothing else" case.

I keep the low level heals on the bars partly because the above scenarios where they're nice, partly because I find it useful to have consistent binds across jobs so if I'm keeping Physick bound then I'd like Benefic and Cure on the same key. Sage, of course, doesn't have a lot of choice since Diagnosis and Eukrasian Diagnosis are the same button with a modal.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the basic heals are really funny cause they have such a sharp noise especially when cast back to back that I instantly pop out of my roulette haze when I hear them being cast over and over again. instant realization that it's about to be one of Those dungeon runs.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The most important thing in the game is to kill any Medicus soldier asap, not because it's optimal or whatever, but so they don't get a Cure 1 off and you hear The Sound

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Playing SGE in XIV has objectively improved my gaming abilities and I now main a healer with a little bit of side damage in my other MMO and people are like "how did you get so viciously good overnight" in that one

and i say

ALWAYS
BE
CASTING

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There's an old video back from the HW days that had a party do a dungeon and literally time the amount of time a healer had just sitting AFK and doing absolutely nothing during fights. It was something like 73% of the time spent in combat the healer could just press no buttons and dodge AoEs and the party wouldn't need healing. Not to mention the actual time that could be saved if the healer actually pressed DPS buttons instead of standing doing nothing.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
They really ran out of ideas for red mage at level 50 huh? Not that I am complaining, most of the jobs in the game are so insanely bloated something like red mage or summoner are really welcome but it is kinda funny how it doesn't gain anything substantial for nearly 40 levels.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

RDM being mostly complete at 50 isn't a problem; other jobs feeling like mere shells of themselves or, worse, feeling like different jobs entirely at 50 is.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, the bigger problem is that every dps other than rdm and, uh, monk? feel like fifty levels stretched out to ninety with the terrible downsync experience that implies instead of the other way round

even rdm feels pretty lacking not getting a proper finisher till, what, seventy?!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Mr. Neutron posted:

They really ran out of ideas for red mage at level 50 huh? Not that I am complaining, most of the jobs in the game are so insanely bloated something like red mage or summoner are really welcome but it is kinda funny how it doesn't gain anything substantial for nearly 40 levels.
This isn't true. Verholy and Verflare actually change the dynamic of your white/black mana quite a bit. Once you hit 70 you want to keep your white/black mana levels uneven so you get the free proc after Holy/Flare, which actually effects the thought process when you're playing the class. It's a subtle change but one you'll definitely notice while playing.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Oneiros posted:

even rdm feels pretty lacking not getting a proper finisher till, what, seventy?!

Yeah, you don't get verflare/verholy until 70. Haven't actually done the math but before that I don't think the melee phase is actually much of a DPS gain if at all vs just dualcasting. The "fun" of downsynched RDM is losing track of how many finishers you have.

vvvv One of them comes at 68 so there's one dungeon where you have to really work to balance your mana

Theris fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 24, 2023

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i think you actually get the first one a little bit earlier because i remember how awkward it was for a few levels :v:

i do like the finishers and rdm does feel lacking synced down under them, imo (tho losing part of your melee combo feels ten thousand times worse) but i don't mind playing it synced down to 50 near as much as some other jobs

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I really feel like they need to go back and add downgrades for some of the later stuff to lower level kits. Like giving Paladin a version of Holy that can only be cast with a charge of Divine Might and a version of Atonemenent that only gets one stack per combo instead of three stacks per combo, as well as a lower level version of Goring Blade.

Hell, there's already unused actions that you can repurpose for this. Babby Holy can be one of those blade waves that Ilberd used so much with the spinning slash animation of Savage Blade, and Atonement and Goring Blade can be Shield Bash and Shield Swipe.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Have all the adjustments made the jobs play differently now when synced down compared to when 50/60/70 were level cap?
going through the msq for the first time this year, I remember thinking - did PLD mains have to wait like half a decade for the expansion that gave them a complete toolkit?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

God Hole posted:

Have all the adjustments made the jobs play differently now when synced down compared to when 50/60/70 were level cap?
going through the msq for the first time this year, I remember thinking - did PLD mains have to wait like half a decade for the expansion that gave them a complete toolkit?

Most jobs worked completely differently when the level cap was 50/60. Some of them might have had more skills at that level than they do now at 90.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

God Hole posted:

Always. Current 50/60/70 kits are always more hollow compared to their past versions, some more noticeable than others depending on whether they were revamped or not. What happens every expansion is that skills get moved around to rebalance button bloat, so you’d get scenarios where feature complete kits would suddenly lose skills or traits due to a change. Admittedly I’m speaking from the perspective of playing summoner which notoriously changes its rotation every expansion (twice during Shb even!) but a lvl 60 HW SMN had a lot more buttons than a lvl 60 SB summoner due to consolidation of buttons.

So HW summoner used to have 3 dots to maintain at all times (hence tri-disaster) plus shadowflare. SB summoner removed one dot and I think we lost one aetherflow around that time too, so one less fester/bane/energy drain to weave. Due to pets working differently, there was also pet management to juggle to optimizing the timing of your dots, which got simplified to a degree when they tried to make ifrit more usable compared to garuda in SB. Come shadowbringers, more emphasis got placed on the new revamped pet buttons, so a bunch of the early rotations suddenly fell by the wayside cause skills were now arranged to focus on the baha/Phoenix rotation, so suddenly the 50 and 60 toolkits suddenly don’t really feel right, cause the pet buttons only make sense within the lvl 70 toolkit, while the aetherflow buttons and dots now feel off. Also led to a situation of both rotations of pets and aetherflow not co-existing well for players that they changed how the pet buttons worked in the 5.1 patch (changing from OGCDs to GCDs), changing the summoner rotation and playstyle again. And that essentially got simplified into the current smn rotation removing dots entirely.

I know a few other jobs has similar experiences, though not quite to the extent of summoner changing every expansion. This mostly affects the base and HW jobs though, since the later jobs are built feature complete and every expansion is mostly just extending their base kit.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

SGE is fun as hell and is probably my favorite healer to play. It's just so different from anything else that it really makes you have to think about your kit. Also the aesthetic is amazing.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Relyssa posted:

SGE is fun as hell and is probably my favorite healer to play. It's just so different from anything else that it really makes you have to think about your kit. Also the aesthetic is amazing.
Most of its buttons are 1:1 translations of SCH buttons, though?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

Most of its buttons are 1:1 translations of SCH buttons, though?

It doesn't really feel like it to me, not sure why.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i went for sge before sch because i was terrified of df scholars

it's basically the same

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Fair enough! I will admit to being a big dummy and letting the aesthetic take over my brain.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I'm very excited. I forget if I whined about it in this or the other ff14 thread, but the game stopped working for me after the first major Endwalker update patch. Just instantly crashing on loading into the game no matter what I'd do. Started missing it a lot recently and messed around, eventually found that reinstalling the game on my computer hard drive instead of the external ssd the rest of my steam games are installed on fixed it. I'm back, baby!

And I'm surprised / pleased that I haven't been booted from the Goon Guild I was in. Everyone in it was super pleasant, so I'm glad for that. If you're in Third Party Tools and see an eye searingly lore accurate Roegadyn name, hi it might be me it's been so long I have no clue what I'm doing all over again.

I've already got one question. I was trying to set back up all my bars for my jobs. But some of the bars are not changing over when I swap between them. Bars 1, 2, and 3 change when I change jobs. But bar 4 just keeps whatever I had on it, even when I swap between them. Which is a problem for me because of the insane way I like to set up my ui. Is there a way to change this so all the bars are job flexible like the first three?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

brainSnakes posted:

I'm very excited. I forget if I whined about it in this or the other ff14 thread, but the game stopped working for me after the first major Endwalker update patch. Just instantly crashing on loading into the game no matter what I'd do. Started missing it a lot recently and messed around, eventually found that reinstalling the game on my computer hard drive instead of the external ssd the rest of my steam games are installed on fixed it. I'm back, baby!

And I'm surprised / pleased that I haven't been booted from the Goon Guild I was in. Everyone in it was super pleasant, so I'm glad for that. If you're in Third Party Tools and see an eye searingly lore accurate Roegadyn name, hi it might be me it's been so long I have no clue what I'm doing all over again.

I've already got one question. I was trying to set back up all my bars for my jobs. But some of the bars are not changing over when I swap between them. Bars 1, 2, and 3 change when I change jobs. But bar 4 just keeps whatever I had on it, even when I swap between them. Which is a problem for me because of the insane way I like to set up my ui. Is there a way to change this so all the bars are job flexible like the first three?

I can't remember where exactly but yes, somewhere in the UI settings you can configure each hotbar to swap or stay the same between jobs.

Edit: it's "System > Character Configuration > Hotbar Settings > Sharing"

Mainwaring fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 24, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Machinist is the other job besides summoner that was famous for completely changing every expansion. The initial machinist (at 60) had castbars and an ammo system to pump GCDs, as well as permanent turret pets that could either be put into "recharge" mode to restore MP/TP but do no damage, or could be sacrificed and go on cooldown for a burst.

Then with Stormblood they de-emphasized ammo and added heat, except heat was a thing you wanted to balance because overheating wasn't necessarily always good or part of your rotation. It was only in Shadowbringers that ammo totally went away and they introduced heat/battery as a simple "build up and burst at the same time as everyone else" mechanic.

Heavensward/Stormblood machinist also had its basic combo be proc-based like bard, even as it was a three-step. Jobs change a LOT. There were some other pretty severe changes, more from 50 to 60 than there were from 60 to 70, but those two always stood out as being drastic reworks.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 24, 2023

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The hotbars has the idea of "shared" hotbars that won't change any time you change jobs, and whatever not shared is, that does change. You can manage that in the options when editing your hud to move stuff around, but there is an option in the hotbars settings page to mange them all at once. You get 10 bars to mess with. For most jobs/classes you won't realistically fill more than 3 full bars unless you have a busy button intensive class (sch, ast, some of the dpsers) or a LOT of macros.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
So I hit 52 at a WHM and I finished the main ARR story I guess but doing post story stuff now and unlocking dungeons and things I missed. I got a spell that uses "Lilys" but I don't see how to earn them or use them anywhere. Any ideas?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So I hit 52 at a WHM and I finished the main ARR story I guess but doing post story stuff now and unlocking dungeons and things I missed. I got a spell that uses "Lilys" but I don't see how to earn them or use them anywhere. Any ideas?

One Lily is gained every thirty seconds in combat after level 52, I believe.

e: though you might have to get to HW and do your first WHM job quest from that expac first, I don't remember

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some of those mechanics can sneak into passives or otherwise not get explained. Monk has a similar issue.

Edit: looked it up at https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/whitemage/ and Secret of the Lily comes from the 52 job quest. I think that means you're stuck until you finish the post-expansion patch stuff?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 24, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, BLM's shorter Fire 3/Blizzard 3 cast mechanic is not found in the tooltips

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Lilies are automatically earned at a rate of one every 20 seconds. You get a trait at L52 that unlocks a job gauge, which will show them. The gauge looks like

It defaults to the elaborate version, you can change it to the simple gauge in its hud options.

(I don't know exactly why whoever made that image decided to combine the WHM and SGE gauges into one explanatory image, but they did)

Note that since they are an L52 thing, neither the lilies, the job gauge or the Afflatus spells that use them will be available when you're synced down to a duty that's L50 or lower.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
yeah I have the spell but don't have the gauge so I guess I have to get to the next expac

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

yeah I have the spell but don't have the gauge so I guess I have to get to the next expac

Check your HUD settings too, it's possible the job gauge is set to hidden for some reason.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

quiggy posted:

Check your HUD settings too, it's possible the job gauge is set to hidden for some reason.

even if that was the case I can't use the spell no matter how long I'm in combat so I assume it isn't working yet

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

If you dont have the Asylum spell of Secret of the Lilies you need to get into HW content to unlock your next Job quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
That's usually how it works for the HW job quests.

Since the msq can way over level you if you aren't paying attention, you can be well into HW levels but everything is locked behind the msq to get into HW at all. I remember first leveling blm and being stopped by the msq progress for job quests and I was 59-60 when doing them all, filling in abilities I should've had for all those levels.

Fortunately it's only an issue for your first job, but it is still annoying as hell, yes, especially since Lilly charges are on of your main sources of ogcds as whm. Medica/cure II harder til then, I guess?