Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not sure where to post it but I was watching naked gun the other day and they're on a stakeout eating pistachios in the car and it was the red dyed ones and their lips were all red. I remember getting those from a non super walmart too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyGZAg3lo9A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i read red pistachios were red because that was how they did it in Iran where most of them were grown. something... happened and the USA stopped buying Iranian nuts and eventually stopped dyeing American grown nuts red.

i don't wanna eat shelled pistachios. cracking them is part of the ritual of eating the things.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
as is not paying attention while eating and getting a rotten bitter dried out husk one

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

American grown pistachios had spots on the shells so they dyed them red to cover that up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

as is not paying attention while eating and getting a rotten bitter dried out husk one

That just makes the good ones taste better

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

i read red pistachios were red because that was how they did it in Iran where most of them were grown. something... happened and the USA stopped buying Iranian nuts and eventually stopped dyeing American grown nuts red.

I've been eating Iranian pistachios since the early 1980s and today is the first time I have ever heard about "red pistachios", they're 100% an American thing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The pistachios were dyed red because they were using birdshot to knock them off trees

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

And the picture shows a 20oz plastic bottle, but seeing as the price is only $0.50, it's almost certainly just cans.
Extremely '90s things: being in high school and figuring out that you could put in a dollar, push the buttons in the order 4-2-3-1, then press the change return button (I think) 6 times while putting in a Canadian coin, and tapping the YooHoo button fast enough to get 3 or 4 cans for the price of 1 while the change return mechanism was trying to figure out what was happening before rejecting the coin. The Snapple/Frutopia machine had a spot on the side you could punch and trick it into thinking you had put money in.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I always wanted the clear plastic cubes they showed in commercials that the badguy got thrown through. They never sold those anywhere!
Don't Break The Ice!

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's my understanding (I could be wrong) that lead INSIDE the glass, i.e. added to it during the creation, isn't really that terrible unless you keep liquid in it a long time, like a decanter you put some fancy whisky in, or something. The low amount of contact time a beverage would have inside the glass isn't really going to leech lead into it. Like...I guess don't have your main drinking glasses have lead in them, but you want to break out the fancy leaded-crystal wine glasses on NYE? Go for it.

But lead (and other heavy metals) in paint? Yeah that's much worse.
Alcohol itself is probably a lot more toxic than anything you serve it in. To stay on the safe side, pour it back into the original bottle and cork or otherwise seal it rather than letting it sit in leaded crystal or uranium glass for years, but you're almost certainly fine unless you set a decanter of wine or booze on a shelf and let it sit for years at a time. I would have had to grind up a lead crystal or uranium glass decanter and snort it like cocaine to do anywhere near as much damage to my body as the amount I used to drink.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

empty baggie posted:

They're still just called Bajas around here (NE TN). I first heard the term drug rug a couple of years ago from someone who had moved here from up north (which some might refer to as a carpetbagger, but that's more 1890's than 1990's, although it still keeps with the theme of the thread).

I learned Drug Rug from the commentary for Mallrats as the not Brody guy was wearing one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/csyVNu5StfE

I didn’t remember Courage the Cowardly Dog being quite this racist, goddamn

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://youtu.be/csyVNu5StfE

I didn’t remember Courage the Cowardly Dog being quite this racist, goddamn

That character was written and performed by a Chinese guy mocking rich Chinese failsons

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Heath posted:

That character was written and performed by a Chinese guy mocking rich Chinese failsons

yeah, but watch past the first episode he shows up in

like past a certain point they got him popping out to stereotypical pentatonic scale music and poo poo, and he’s more of a general chaotic villain than an rear end in a top hat with a fast car

like you can’t tell me that all the poo poo at the Great Wall isn’t like at least a bit racist

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It would help to distinguish that "racist" is not the same as "bigoted" or "malicious" and it is entirely possible for any demographic to knowingly or unknowingly participate in racism against their own demographic.

In this case it's really kind-of on the edge for truly awful, because the character himself is fairly specific, but the music and the fact that he's routinely the only Asian the show has is what tips it over. And that's not entirely fair, because it's a cartoon with only so many characters and it can't realistically afford to be multi-faceted and still let a stock character be a stock character. But all the same when it's the minority demographic on the show it can't help but bear that disproportionate weight.

It's the Black Widow problem from the Avengers. Aside from the fact that she was always underwritten, as a character she was unfairly burdened with the responsibility of representing all women solely because she was the only woman in the front of the team. Her generic stock archetype doesn't come across as that awful when there's even 2-3 other women to contrast her with, but when it's just her then yeah it starts to come across as kind-of terrible.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/pcaBwxb.mp4

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureeka%27s_Castle

Had no idea R.L. Stine made this show…

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Holy poo poo I loved this show

Between Goosebumps, this, and Worlds of Power RL Stein really did have an undue influence on my childhood

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And then David Cross lifted his visual identity from that bat character.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs
Wow Batley has serious Eridan energy @_@
(homesuck character as we are trash)

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Darthemed posted:

And then David Cross lifted his visual identity from that bat character.
lol

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I learned Drug Rug from the commentary for Mallrats as the not Brody guy was wearing one.
Quint. They're named after the characters from Jaws.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I was born in 87 so Eureeka's Castle is a bit of a nostalgic fever dream for me. I can definitely remember watching and loving but having no idea what I was watching.

I'm a big fan of puppets so I'm betting it was that. Not surprisingly I grew up to love Goosebumps.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always bring up Gullah Gullah island and for some reason no one else seems to ever remember it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always bring up Gullah Gullah island and for some reason no one else seems to ever remember it.

ppl memoryholed that dang polliwog

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Gullah gullah was awesome but nick jr at a time when there was probably the most kids content available on cable didnt do great

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I was graduated from Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude, You Can’t Do That on Television, and Double Dare straight to Doug, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Ren and Stimpy, and What Would You Do.

I remember Gullah Gullah Island and Eureka’s Castle but I was a bit too old for them I think.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I do. I loved that show.

I grew up in extremely not-diverse Appalachia and in 2nd grade may have only seen a small handful of non-white people in real life. We had black neighbors move in and I asked if they were from Gullah Gullah island.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Younger me fuckin' loved Eureeka's Castle and I was extremely upset as a child that I missed the movie EVERY SINGLE TIME they aired it.

Vandar has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Jul 24, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

dialhforhero posted:

I was graduated from Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude, You Can’t Do That on Television, and Double Dare straight to Doug, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Ren and Stimpy, and What Would You Do.

I remember Gullah Gullah Island and Eureka’s Castle but I was a bit too old for them I think.

Sounds like you didnt have younger siblings

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Welp, now that theme song's stuck in my head for the first time in 30 years.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
gently caress binyuh binyuh polliwog. I hated that guy

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Fighting Trousers posted:

Welp, now that theme song's stuck in my head for the first time in 30 years.

I still get that song stuck in my head occasionally:unsmith:

Defunctland did a short video on some of the show's history and its really interesting

https://youtu.be/cm1TIe19cJs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I do. I loved that show.

I grew up in extremely not-diverse Appalachia and in 2nd grade may have only seen a small handful of non-white people in real life. We had black neighbors move in and I asked if they were from Gullah Gullah island.

lmfao

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Man, I HATED Eureka's castle. In fact, all of Nick, Jr.

By the time Nick, Jr. started (I guess like 89) I was already too old for it. It was definitely for like 3-6 year-olds at most, even that might be pushing it.

I get that Nick, Jr. would air during the day when older kids were at school (hence the cut-off really being like 5, since by then you're in kindergarten) but what really made me mad as a kid, is that EVEN IN SUMMER it was airing in the middle of the day!

gently caress you, Nickelodeon! You know all kids are on summer break, so put the fuckin Looney Tunes on during the day, God-damnit! In the summer, before I was old enough to really watch ant MTV or Comedy Central, the hours of noon to three during summers felt FOREVER. At least in the mornings I had poo poo like The Price is Right (why we all loved that as ten year-olds, I don't know), Supermarket Sweep (again...why I loved it, idk) and other game shows... but then once noon hit, the broadcast networks all switched to soap operas. I was too young to really enjoy the vast majority of any other cable channels, and there was only so much Nintendo I could take. Nickelodeon SHOULD have been my refuge, but that God-drat fuckin' Face screwed me every time.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, I HATED Eureka's castle. In fact, all of Nick, Jr.

By the time Nick, Jr. started (I guess like 89) I was already too old for it. It was definitely for like 3-6 year-olds at most, even that might be pushing it.

I get that Nick, Jr. would air during the day when older kids were at school (hence the cut-off really being like 5, since by then you're in kindergarten) but what really made me mad as a kid, is that EVEN IN SUMMER it was airing in the middle of the day!

gently caress you, Nickelodeon! You know all kids are on summer break, so put the fuckin Looney Tunes on during the day, God-damnit! In the summer, before I was old enough to really watch ant MTV or Comedy Central, the hours of noon to three during summers felt FOREVER. At least in the mornings I had poo poo like The Price is Right (why we all loved that as ten year-olds, I don't know), Supermarket Sweep (again...why I loved it, idk) and other game shows... but then once noon hit, the broadcast networks all switched to soap operas. I was too young to really enjoy the vast majority of any other cable channels, and there was only so much Nintendo I could take. Nickelodeon SHOULD have been my refuge, but that God-drat fuckin' Face screwed me every time.

This brings back memories. I’m a little younger than you and was the right age for Nick Jr when it launched but a few years later during the summer was babysat by my aunt. I was like 7 and her kids were like 2 and 3 so they still watched Nick Jr on the one TV in their house, and I just remember loathing that stupid talking face thing. I was much too old and cool to have that thing talking at me.

Edit: thinking back, I know there’s much said about it now but drat did nobody care about screen time when I was a kid. The TV would be on practically all day. Now that watching is more intentional (like, you pick the show) we never really have it on just for background noise or whatever.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Did you, at any point, consider going outside?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Nah, people still have it on for background noise while they browse twitter or play games on their phone. They just choose a random this on Netflix rather than flipping to a channel they tolerate

My mom had a daycare she ran out of our house and my brother was 7 years younger than me so I remember a lot of Nick Jr. I mostly tolerated it. It was whatever. It was better than watching grownup shows, I guess. Little Brlear was cool for helping me go back to sleep on days that I was home sick because it was super chill and quiet. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized they played that show around when parents would put their kids down for a nap and thought that was really clever

I don't know. Stockholm syndrome I guess

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

My kid had started watching The Big Comfy Couch on Prime a while back. Watching that show as an adult feels very much like hanging out with a girl who's really, really high.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
my sister is 3.5 yrs younger than me, so I watched a lot of Nick Jr and Playhouse Disney that I was technically too old for

Probably why I grew up liking + appreciating cartoons so much (going to a liberal arts college was my compromise with my parents on not going to capital-A Art school)

Happy Landfill posted:

Little Brlear was cool for helping me go back to sleep on days that I was home sick because it was super chill and quiet. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized they played that show around when parents would put their kids down for a nap and thought that was really clever

I don't know. Stockholm syndrome I guess

Little Bear was so vibes, holy poo poo

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

This Is the Zodiac posted:

All the time, but there's also only so much "outside" you can take in the summer as a young kid. Too old to like the real "kiddy" stuff, but too young to be allowed to go 100% on my own outside my yard.

If my older brother or sister didn't want to go anywhere? Neither was I.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Not them but… hell no I had Super Nintendo to play, how do you think I ended up a goon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I was in the same grade and went to school with Amber Hagerman so after all that happened my parents didn't let me out of my own yard until I was around 11 or 12.