Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-economy/3739837-capital-outflow-from-russia-reaches-13-of-gdp-yermak.html

quote:

Since February 24 last year, capital outflows from Russia have reached USD 253 billion, an outflow rate of 13% of GDP.
The head of the Presidential Office (PO) of Ukraine Andriy Yermak announced this on Telegram, Ukrinform reports.

"Capital outflows from Russia since the beginning of Russia's large-scale invasion have reached a record USD 253 billion," the head of the PO said.
According to his data, USD 239 billion left Russia in 2022, four times more than in 2021, and in the first half of 2023, the outflow amounted to an additional USD 27 billion.

"The rate of capital outflows reached 13% of GDP and broke all possible records," Yermak emphasized.

As Ukrinform reported, on July 20, the EU, the UK, the U.S., Canada, and other countries announced extension of sanctions against Russia and its supporters who help it circumvent restrictions.
Getting poorer and poorer to own the libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Set
Oct 30, 2005
I'd gladly grab one of those gang tags too if they're available.

I've been thinking about propaganda lately, and the difficulty of actually debunking lies that people have internalized as "true". I found this article in my collection of "Yle things that might be interesting to translate sometime" about "pre-bunking" coming propaganda about Ukrainian refugees, wherein they inform people beforehand of the types of propaganda and lies that will be spread around. A short but neat article.

Author: Juha-Matti Mäntylä
Release date: 11.02.23
Link to untranslated article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20016943

quote:

Google vaccinated users against lies - this tool is used to fight propaganda about Ukrainian refugees

The best way is to get there first and reveal the ways in which users are manipulated, says the research director of Google's Jigsaw group to Yle. Anticipatory videos were shown to tens of millions of social media users.

When Russia invaded Ukraine last spring, researchers at Google's Jigsaw team knew what to expect.

Hundreds of thousands, even millions, of Ukrainians would flee to neighboring countries. And on the heels of the refugees would follow lies and disinformation, which would be used to try to undermine the Europeans' desire to help.

Google researchers decided to fight against false information and propaganda.

Research director Beth Goldberg tells Yle about the tool, which English name is prebunking.

- In prebunking, the idea is to anticipate the ways of spreading false information, he says.

Goldberg's group traveled to Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. There, they asked experts what kind of false claims about refugees would soon be made. Then videos were prepared that would become a vaccine against disinformation and fake news.

What the hell is prebunking?

The English term prebunking is a variant of the term debunk.

-The term debunk refers to exposing a claim that is stated as fact to be lies or exaggeration.

-Prebunking, on the other hand, means that the target group is told in advance what kind of arguments they are likely to hear and how to influence them.

Google researchers believe that the latter technique works better. The reason is simple.

A mind-boggling lie spreads much faster and more widely on the web than the moderate fact with which the lie is later tried to be corrected. That's why it's better to spread information in advance about the methods that are used to influence people.

Another term that refers to much the same thing is the vaccine theory. In the same way that the weakened pathogens of vaccines arouse resistance in the human body, advance knowledge gives the human mind immunity.

Google's Beth Goldberg applied this theory to social media together with researchers from the Universities of Cambridge and Bristol. More than a million people in the United States were targeted. The researchers found that videos distributed as YouTube ads helped people to recognize different manipulation techniques and distinguish reliable from unreliable information.

After the war in Ukraine broke out, the results of the research were tested on a large scale.

"War is being fought on your mobile phone"

Google researchers who flew to Eastern Europe heard that the most likely propaganda would be to claim that refugees are dangerous and blame refugees for economic hardship.

Social media videos were made based on the information. "The war in Ukraine continues on the front and also on your cell phone," they warned.

- Another of the videos told about fear-mongering, i.e. claims that Ukrainian refugees are dangerous. Another told about blaming, that is, that refugees would be blamed for, for example, the housing shortage, Goldberg describes.

The approximately one-minute long videos made with local advertising agencies can still be found online. If you don't know Polish, Czech or Slovak, you can click on the English subtitles at the bottom of the video.

The videos were shown as advertisements to tens of millions of people on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Tiktok.

A lie can be predicted

According to Goldberg, propaganda directed against Ukrainian refugees has been seen in all target countries, and elsewhere as well. It has largely followed the anticipated line.

- In particular, we have seen claims about how immigrants exploit social security, take apartments and are to blame for financial problems. In rarer cases, we have seen unfounded claims that the refugee is a violent criminal, he describes.

According to Goldberg, it is good news from the point of view of combating attempts to influence that the methods of spreading disinformation are almost always predictable. It makes it easier to create preventive messages - whether it's about the war in Ukraine or even influencing elections.

According to Goldberg, early signs show that people who saw the ads were more aware of the ways in which they were being influenced. Goldberg has no answer to who spread the propaganda. Maybe Russia, maybe some local group trying to take advantage of the exceptional conditions.

- It doesn't even really matter if the false information comes from Russia, Warsaw or your neighbor. The important thing is that you recognize the influencing techniques and are resistant.

Next, Google researchers plan to implement the prebunking method in India.

I especially find the concept of "we know what lies will be used, so we can preempt that" as really fascinating.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I am willing to pay for the gangtag and himars smilie, but they are both too big :(

also congrats on IK weg!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

this looks like poo poo on dark mode, fyi

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Is there a way to easily post videos here that were uploaded directly to Reddit? I could save them with a bot but I don't know where to reupload them and they're too big for the forums. And linking directly to the Reddit thread would probably just get people making GBS threads on Reddit (usually a good idea in any case)

For content: the ecocide conducted by the Russian military at the completely dried up Kakhovka reservoir

Content 2: Russia continuing war crimes as they kidnap Ukrainian teenagers and force them into conscription as slave soldiers

https://www.ukrinform.net/amp/rubric-ato/3738090-invaders-take-dozens-of-ukrainian-students-from-luhansk-to-russian-military-academy.html

Ukr Inform posted:

The Russian occupation forces took nearly 80 high school students from the temporarily captured territories of Luhansk region to the military academy in Russia’s Kostroma.

That’s according to the Luhansk Regional Military Administration, Ukrinfrom reports.

The abducted children are now undergoing “military courses” at the training ground of the Academy of Radiation, Chemical and Biological Protection and Engineering Forces, located in Kostroma region, being subjected to yet another dose of enemy propaganda, officials emphasized.

According to the report, in the temporarily occupied territories, Russian puppet authorities deny payments to mothers of newborns in case they do not hold a Russian passport.

"Despite the fact that all newborns, according to the invaders’ legislation, are considered citizens of the Russian Federation, parents are unable to receive support payments. In this way, the enemy resorts to yet another tool to force people to get Russian passports," the administration emphasized.

Read also: Russian official reports 700,000 children abducted from Ukraine
Due to the migration of Russian nationals, crime levels in occupied cities are increasing. "One of the examples is Dovzhansk, where Tuva and Buryatia natives arrive. The number of thefts there has increased rapidly. Local "law enforcement" tend to turn a blind eye to most of such cases, officials note.

According to Artem Lysohor, the head of Regional Military Administration, the Russians do not reduce fire pressure on the region from the sky, employing warplanes nearly a dozen times a day. "The strikes regularly reach the de-occupied villages. Yesterday it was Nevske, Novoliubivka and Bilohorivka. Two of them still have a sufficient number of civilians living there. By the way, food was delivered there the other day – so I am grateful to the volunteers for their help. Despite the danger and complicated logistics, we do not leave local residents alone - they always get everything they need," Lysohor emphasized.

Nevske and Bilohorivka also came under Russian artillery fire on Wednesday.

Content 3: Russian war crimes against hospitals as part of doctrine

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 24, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1683452675411660800

quote:

Russian channel Rybar assessed the morning strike in Crimea.

"UAVs took off from Kryvy Rih, reached Odesa via Mykolaiv region, and there diverted to Crimea in order to confuse Russian air defense.

In parallel with this, four Storm Shadow cruise missiles were launched by Su-24 aircraft of the Ukrainian Air Force. Three aimed at a warehouse with ammunition in the vicinity of Vil'ne (Vesoloye airstrip) and one at a repair base near Novostepove. All four hit the target."
This morning's attack on Crimea involved Storm Shadow missiles and UAVs, all the missiles hit their targets, which were a repair station and an ammo dump.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
And a separate post for this great information:

Anthony Blinken: Russia has already lost war in Ukraine and Kyiv has retaken 50% of seized land (since Feb 2022, not counting Crimea or LPR/DPR)

USA Today posted:

Russia has "already lost" the war in Ukraine in terms of the goals Russian President Vladimir Putin had when his tanks rolled across the border 17 months ago, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in an interview released Sunday.

Blinken said Ukraine has taken back about half the land seized by Russia. He spoke with confidence about the war's outcome the same day Russian missiles slammed into the historic district of the Ukrainian port city of Odesa and Putin dismissed as a failure Ukraine's much-anticipated counteroffensive.

“The objective was to erase Ukraine from the map, to eliminate its independence, its sovereignty, to subsume it into Russia. That failed a long time ago,” Blinken told CNN.

Blinken acknowledged that Ukraine faces “a very hard fight” and predicted the counteroffensive would continue for several more months. But weaponry support from the West combined with the Ukrainian military grit and resolve should win the day, he said.

“Unlike the Russians, Ukrainians are fighting for their land, for their future, for their country, for their freedom,” Blinken said, adding that the Ukraine military had "already taken back about 50% of what was initially seized."

Developments:

◾ Russian tennis player Vera Zvonareva, a former world No. 2 now ranked 60th, has been banned from entering Poland for the PNB Paribas Warsaw Open tournament that begins Monday.

◾ A Ukrainian drone strike Saturday caused a massive explosion at an ammunition depot in Russia-annexed Crimea, forcing the evacuation of nearby homes. Ukraine has stepped up attacks on Crimea in recent weeks. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has pledged to return control of the peninsula to Ukraine.

◾ The Biden administration continues to decline Ukraine's request for long-range missiles known as ATACMS, believing Kyiv has more urgent needs and worrying about maintaining sufficient stocks in case of need, the Washington Post reported.

◾ The Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs summoned Russian ambassador Serhiy Andreyev after the "provocative" statement from Putin that western Poland was a "gift from Stalin." Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki tweeted that "Stalin was a war criminal, guilty of the death of hundreds of thousands of Poles."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/ukraine/2023/07/23/ukraine-russia-war-live-updates/70452764007/

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

I'm also aboard the gang tag train, please

Same! These are fuckin incredible

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I mean on a moral level, Russia lost this war nearly 10 years ago.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean on a moral level, Russia lost this war nearly 10 years ago.

I have been confident of a Russian loss since they failed to take Kyiv. Militarily speaking Russia has lost since March 2022, the key thing is that it's not enough for Russia to lose. Ukraine has to WIN

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They're definitely not losing hard or fast enough :mad:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

I have been confident of a Russian loss since they failed to take Kyiv. Militarily speaking Russia has lost since March 2022, the key thing is that it's not enough for Russia to lose. Ukraine has to WIN

Yes. There cannot be any upside to the Russia after this war ends, not one square centimeter given or one concession made, no matter how small. Otherwise we will definitely see this again in 5-10 years somewhere else, probably in the Inner Asia where NATO and EU doesn't really reach and realistically, doesn't really care as much.

Beyond not getting any positive outcome, I don't think that further balkanization of Russian federation is realistic really, but I wouldn't mind Russia losing its grasp on the areas where some local ethnically non-Russian population still exists.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I’d love an extra gang tag if that’s an option.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Vote for ukraine flag HIMARS tag

And vote for BYE TANKIE to have a darkmode-friendly outline

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I also wish to beg a gangtag!

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes. There cannot be any upside to the Russia after this war ends, not one square centimeter given or one concession made, no matter how small. Otherwise we will definitely see this again in 5-10 years somewhere else, probably in the Inner Asia where NATO and EU doesn't really reach and realistically, doesn't really care as much.
I don't think China will stand for aggression against their new client states, so Central Asia's probably pretty safe unless the Taiwan War kicks off

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I think we need tiaz to get the size right first. I dunno when he's gonna be around. Unless someone else has some photoshop/animation skills

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1683349977009889281
POCCNR ran into some more bad luck today in Crimea. The Gvardeskoye airfield was struck again, and another location as well.

Perfect optics in the video with the red Lada and the V-truck. Worth a war tweet video of the year award in the artistic category.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Vote for ukraine flag HIMARS tag

And vote for BYE TANKIE to have a darkmode-friendly outline

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently the sunroof Lada from earlier on has been found a few days ago

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Gang tag plz

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently the sunroof Lada from earlier on has been found a few days ago

Im surprised ukraine didn’t capture it last year

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
has billy gibbons weighed in on this infringement on their trademark yet

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1683537046273441804

quote:

Worrying stories coming from RU channels about northern Bakhmut

➡️AFU attacking Berkhivka again, pushing Russians to the rear of the settlement.
➡️30th mechanized/8th SSO entered Zaliznyans'ke.
➡️24th/5th/22nd mechanized fighting NW of Klishchiivka
➡️3rd assault brigade is attempting to advance towards Andriivka
Good progress continues in the Bakhmut direction.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1683539916175622154

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSU7gktyLjE

WW4 has started lmao

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tai posted:

WW4 has started lmao
take THAT, einstein!

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

I usually just lurk here, but I’d love to have that sweet gang tag too, please.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

The unknown technology meme now actually fits, when you think Einstein said that it would be fought with sticks and stones.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Suddenly all I can hear are 14.4kbps dialup noises and memories of my BBS days...
I think I ran wwiv for about a month before I switched to VBBS for multi-line support...

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

aniviron posted:

Oh, I should have checked the thread; I was tinkering with the himars gif in downtime minutes too. Came up with this:

putting the UA flag/label on was a good idea, nice work! I was too lazy to separate out the wheels :)

Toxic Mental posted:

@tiaz

Can you make the flag a UA flag instead of a USA one on your scaled down version? I'm thinking we go with that one

(with a UA flag and "UA" instead of "US" label)

Also I was thinking about donations. What does the thread think? Was the Ghost of Kyiv one gated behind a donation at all?

I think it'd be great having it behind a donation. This is the right width but I'm not sure about getting it down to 64 vertical pixels. easy pass on the file size though.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm down to run a donation drive from the vetted charities list. I've never put one together though, so I'll have to figure it out

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I am around again; what dimensions are the gang tags, is 180x80 the max? I can take a crack at it today. Or, if anyone else fancies themselves a gifsmith, here's my photoshop file with layers separated out, should make it easy to tweak things.

Meant to have the wheels animate on mine with a sort of turntable effect but I couldn't come up with anything good before I had to sleep last night; I think I like tiaz's dust cloud better than the lines on mine. I don't have a lot of experience with pixel art or animation, just enthusiasm. :)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Karma Comedian posted:

I'm down to run a donation drive from the vetted charities list. I've never put one together though, so I'll have to figure it out

"Copy the list of vetted charities from the D&D drive, post an anonymized screenshot of a receipt or something as such to the thread and get a tag on the next patch when some mod bothers to update", is there anything more to it?

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

I won't bother with the propaganda, but the video thumbnail really shows a man whose expression is sheer confidence plus a cheerful smile. The eyes and the mouth kinda speak a different language. I know it's just one frame but it's a good one lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://zona.media/news/2023/07/24/alabuga

quote:

Underage students of the Alabuga Polytechnic College in Tatarstan Yelabuga are massively involved in the assembly of Shahed drones and are punished for refusing to work. This is stated in a joint investigation of the publication "Protocol" and the YouTube channel "RZVRT" .

According to journalists, several hundred college students aged 15-17 are involved in assembling drones in the Alabuga special economic zone. For this, students receive 30-40 thousand per month. At the same time, they have to work around the clock - sometimes without breaks for rest and food. In addition, students cannot disclose information about production - such a clause is spelled out in their training agreement. For its violation, the student may be required to pay the college a fine of 1.5-2 million rubles.

One of the students told reporters that at the assembly they were carefully monitored with the help of wiretapping and video surveillance systems. The security service may take away the student's phone and check his correspondence. At the same time, for refusing to work, teenagers are threatened with expulsion, which imposes on their parents an obligation to reimburse the educational institution from 170 to 420 thousand rubles as tuition costs. According to the "Protocol" and "RZVRT", due to shifts in production, students miss classes.

Corporal punishment is also common in the college. According to journalists, one of the prerequisites for training is playing paintball. Students are woken up every Sunday at 5 am and forced to re-enact World War II battles. The flag of the "fascists" in them is the flag of the Third Reich, where the NATO emblem is depicted in the center instead of a swastika.

Investigators report that players on losing teams in such reenactments are shot at point-blank range with paintballs, forced to run and dig trenches in the rain. This leaves students with bruises. Recently, due to abuse and fear of expulsion, two college students committed suicide.

To the complaints of students, according to investigators, the head of Alabuga, Timur Shagivaleev, replies that “gently caress is going on in the country”, and those who feel unwell “can immediately gently caress home.”

Journalists write that the leadership of the special economic zone is recruiting underage students from African countries. To do this, Alabuga developed a special recruiting scheme using Tinder and Badoo dating applications : students get premium accounts, and Shagivaleev wrote special “scripts” for them to communicate.

Now, according to journalists, several dozen girls from Uganda, Ethiopia and Tanzania work in Alabuga, who arrived here in the fall of 2022: under the pretext of dating, they are lured to Yelabuga, where they are recruited to work as cleaners. In the staff list, such girls are called "mulattos".

Also in the staff list of "Alabuga" there are "Tajiks" - students from the countries of Central Asia and Pakistan.

Advertising for Alabuga Polytechnic College often appears on various platforms. For example, a week before the start of the invasion of Ukraine, a video of an educational institution with the participation of Instasamka was published on YouTube. At the same time, the students interviewed by journalists are dissatisfied with the quality of education at the college.
Hey little man how's it going?
Jesus Christ.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

"Copy the list of vetted charities from the D&D drive, post an anonymized screenshot of a receipt or something as such to the thread and get a tag on the next patch when some mod bothers to update", is there anything more to it?

I dunno, probably not much beyond getting an admin approval for submitting a bunch of tag changes.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I PMed sebmojo about spearheading it. I'll coordinate with him when he gets to it and we'll get the list posted. I'm thinking $5 or more for the gang tag.

If anyone wants to help speed things up, try and find the vetted charity list and post it here.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 24, 2023

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Gang tag, please!

Russian propaganda is loving surreal to me.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russian occupation authorities close Crimean Bridge for traffic again

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/07/24/7412683/

So sad for moscow, they now have all those tourist cars clogging up the logistics lines. There was a 15km traffic jam on the road north into the Kherson region. Military supplies just could not get past it.

Keep those tourists coming.

Glory to Ukraine....

Speaking of traffic jams, there are 70+ ships stuck near the coast of Romania due to the Black Sea blockade. Zelensky outlined the perfect response. All Russian merchant ships are now legitimate military targets. Hit one and none will be able to get insurance. No insurance and no one will want to sail stock into Russian ports.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Worst person you know just made a good point...heartbreaking...According to a newly declassified letter, Richard Nixon warned Bill Clinton about "highly explosive" tensions between Ukraine and Russia in the 90s: “If it is allowed to get out of control,” Nixon warned, “it will make Bosnia look like a PTA garden party.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ukraine-war-wouldnt-have-surprised-richard-nixon-clinton-putin-cold-war-2b83c050#comments_sector

It's paywalled unfortunately but the nixon quote is spot on