Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Looking for an action movie where the hero beats up the bad guys, but he/she also gets hosed up over the course of the movie. Persistent, meaningful wounds, now he walks funny, oops bad guy really hurt his hand so now he's favoring his left, that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Die Hard does a pretty good job of that, though it's more flavoring than plot point.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Looking for an action movie where the hero beats up the bad guys, but he/she also gets hosed up over the course of the movie. Persistent, meaningful wounds, now he walks funny, oops bad guy really hurt his hand so now he's favoring his left, that kind of thing.

Pretty much any Jean-Claude Van Damme movie fits the bill, but specifically Bloodsport, Lionheart, and Sudden Death come to mind. I have a soft spot for Inferno and Kickboxer as well.

Bruce Lee and early Jackie Chan know how to take the blows, too. Enter The Dragon for Lee, Police Story films or Drunken Master films for Chan.

Deadbeat At Dawn. Blade of the Immortal. VFW. Best of the Best.

Die Hard, Robocop, Gladiator, The Raid, Mandy are obvious picks.

For anti-recommendations, pretty much avoid anything with Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal. They've never been hit on celluloid. (Well, Norris took hits before he became a lead actor.)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Most movies have the hero get roughed up, but not actually get persistent, meaningful wounds. They just look like poo poo but still fight at 100%.

The one that pops right out at me is Karate Kid but that, of course, is both given and resolved within a couple of minutes.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Hi! I have a movie date night coming up and was looking for some good horror/thriller movies that are streaming. She's seen a lot of them so the more I can throw against the wall the better!

Peeping Tom, if like me she hadn't heard of this progenitor of its kind. This movie is to Psycho what Doom Patrol is to X-men. No way is Psycho based on it, but it feels so much like it you have to remember it came out first.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Van Damme movies are a bit of a blind spot for me, I think I'll start there. Funny to mention the karate kid...what originally got me thinking about this was the fact that I dont think anyone ever lands a single blow on Mr. Miyagi.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Chow Yun Fat suffers significant wounds in A Better Tomorrow, A Better Tomorrow 2, and Full Contact.

Django also takes a very plot-meaningful injury.

Oh, and Rob Roy!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah, everyone watch Rob Roy if you haven’t.

Rob Roy rules. Best sword fight in cinema.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, very good movie, strongly recommended.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
John Hurt and Tim Roth play top-tier antagonists.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for an action movie with soul. Good action, but also something underpinning it - relatable character motivations etc. I feel Point Break is a good example of this despite how ridiculous the concept is.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Leon / The Professional, though I feel (1) you've likely seen it, and (2) might not be actiony enough

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Do you like elephants? If so, Tom-Yung-Goon!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The Night Comes For Us is a strange hybrid of this and "main character is invincible." They take punches, blades etc and the damage is persistent and meaningful, but there's so much of it and they keep on trucking. Not sure if it fits your criteria exactly, but could be worth checking out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for an action movie with soul. Good action, but also something underpinning it - relatable character motivations etc. I feel Point Break is a good example of this despite how ridiculous the concept is.

Man From Nowhere is an obvious choice
Kill Zone 2 is harder to find but has a shitload of heart

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
requesting movies that don't make you feel like poo-poo after. world is bleak and tough, need something that inspires hope, offers a way to look at things in a more positive light. it doesn't need to have political tones or relevance to the world today, it can just be "heres a story about a frog that wanted to be as big as a house and then did so" or "this goblin's family got killed by the heroes and here's how he made peace with that" or maybe its a movie you like that features cars but makes you feel like you can take on the world each time you finish it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speed Racer (2008)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It feels like a weak suggestion but lots of Studio Ghibli reliably hits that spot for me. A strongly reinforced theme that no matter what strange unavoidable calamities may happen, we can adapt, heal, grow and improve and offer support to the good people around us.

If you're not allergic to Abba: Muriel's Wedding.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

requesting movies that don't make you feel like poo-poo after. world is bleak and tough, need something that inspires hope, offers a way to look at things in a more positive light. it doesn't need to have political tones or relevance to the world today, it can just be "heres a story about a frog that wanted to be as big as a house and then did so" or "this goblin's family got killed by the heroes and here's how he made peace with that" or maybe its a movie you like that features cars but makes you feel like you can take on the world each time you finish it.

David Lynch’s The Straight Story
Linklater’s first two movies in the Before trilogy
Harold & Maude, Being There
Raising Arizona
Tokyo Godfathers if you want Christmas vibes.
Paper Moon
Night Is Short Walk On Girl
Mister Lonely
Your Name
for lots of song and dance numbers, The Young Girls of Rochefort

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Chas McGill posted:

Michael Movies have great action but are also about people, particular Thief and Heat.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Anyone know if there's a new Michael Movie in the works?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

regulargonzalez posted:

Anyone know if there's a new Michael Movie in the works?

He's trying to get the financing together to adapt the book sequel to Heat that he wrote. Ferrari, with Adam Driver as Enzo Ferrari, comes out in December.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

buglord posted:

Brigsby Bear
Captain Fantastic
Hunt for the wilderpeople

Are heart felt comedies where people are basically good.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

the survivors of The Green Room are really messed up by the end and it's got Patrick Stewart as a Neo-Nazi gang leader. I guess that falls more under horror but it's action-packed

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

buglord posted:

Every Rocky after the first
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
A Man Escaped
Millénium Actress
Conan the Barbarian

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

buglord posted:

I might get some poo poo for this, and if so I will fight you but :

The Ang Lee Sense and Sensibility.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Linklater’s first two movies in the Before trilogy

I wish I never watched Before Midnight. If you love the first two don't watch the third. It's a good movie but just takes all the magic and poops it into a shallow grave

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naw man, it just grounds it. poo poo happens man don't mean you don't still love someone

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Before Midnight is a great film, but like Gaius said, it's about a lived-in relationship with baggage and sometimes old scars get exposed, especially with two strong-willed characters like Jesse and Celine.

It's my least favorite of the three, but it's no less great. It's just more serious and the conversations and situation are heavier compared to the love-drunk Sunrise and Sunset.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It just feels like a different movie and being love drunk was what drew me to the first two. I enjoyed it, the joy was just gone. That's life, someone will say, but I'm not really interested in movies reflecting life. Just personally. I get enough life in life.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know, I feel that. Before Sunset has maybe the best ending in cinema, easily if we refine it to Romantic Films. Going from that to Midnight is a real rough road to walk.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks for the reccs everyone. I have them all in my notes app and will find out which ones I wanna start watching…at some point :shobon:

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

ynohtna posted:

It feels like a weak suggestion but lots of Studio Ghibli reliably hits that spot for me. A strongly reinforced theme that no matter what strange unavoidable calamities may happen, we can adapt, heal, grow and improve and offer support to the good people around us.

Miyazaki Ghibli sure. (Maybe take out The Wind Rises, couple others?) Maybe the best recs you could get. But just Ghibli? DO NOT WATCH GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES if you want what you say.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Onomarchus posted:

Miyazaki Ghibli sure. (Maybe take out The Wind Rises, couple others?) Maybe the best recs you could get. But just Ghibli? DO NOT WATCH GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES if you want what you say.

Excellent point, thank you for the correction! Yeah, I totally meant the growing through adversity of, say, Arietty, rather than the surviving through adversity of Grave of the Fireflies.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I should do an actual recommendation:

Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I was hoping to get some recommendations for epic high production value period films where in the end everyone sort of loses. I love Amadeus, There will be blood, Barry lyndon. Sorry if this is too vague. Thank you!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

ynohtna posted:

If you're not allergic to Abba: Muriel's Wedding.

The Castle always makes me feel good, same era of Australian cinema.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bald Stalin posted:

I was hoping to get some recommendations for epic high production value period films where in the end everyone sort of loses. I love Amadeus, There will be blood, Barry lyndon. Sorry if this is too vague. Thank you!

The Last of the Mohicans and Cold Mountain are two personal favorites.

More recently you have The Northman and 1917.

If you’re willing to get into outright horror you’ll find lots more fun bad endings and darkness. Ravenous is another favorite.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Xiahou Dun posted:

The Last of the Mohicans and Cold Mountain are two personal favorites.

More recently you have The Northman and 1917.

If you’re willing to get into outright horror you’ll find lots more fun bad endings and darkness. Ravenous is another favorite.

I enjoyed Northman and 1917, thank you for the cold mountain rec!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bald Stalin posted:

I enjoyed Northman and 1917, thank you for the cold mountain rec!

The soundtrack is pretty righteous too.