Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fagtastic posted:

Well, I know what I call it. I call it "selling my labour because it's literally the only way I can survive". But hey, thanks for the story, little wise man.

Might be a controversial opinion, but I bloody hate eastern wisdom. A preistly caste masquerading as wisdom obscuring the emptiness of their philosophy under a big heap of sophistry. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned how it was designed to appeal to the masses in ancient China to help people cope with powerlessness in a world of oppression and torture, and that's spot on. But that makes it worse, not better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSvKNNtkUSU&t=1250s

PhilosophyTube discusses the same issue in her video on Stoicism (20:52). Sure, stoically enduring everything is a neat skill, but aren't there things we shouldn't put up with? It is easy to use such philosophies to sweep social injustice under the carpet because the poor can be just as virtuous as the rich, so if that is all that matters, what is the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think the core problem is when people take philosophies meant to apply personally to help people get through their day to days, and say "This is how the whole system should run"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

(seems like he wasn't on the strip anymore by the time it ended, Janice Chiang had taken is place by then, but still he was on the strip well into the 00s, possibly early 10s)

With the strip cancelled a month or so after he died even though he wasn't on it any more, I have a feeling someone at Marvel had been wanting it gone but couldn't kill it before because it was Stan Lee's baby

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SimonChris posted:

PhilosophyTube discusses the same issue in her video on Stoicism (20:52). Sure, stoically enduring everything is a neat skill, but aren't there things we shouldn't put up with? It is easy to use such philosophies to sweep social injustice under the carpet because the poor can be just as virtuous as the rich, so if that is all that matters, what is the problem?

I used to get real annoyed with people dismissing stoicism because I associated it with Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, which boil down to various affirmations on "change the things you can change, and minimize the impact of things you cannot," a wholly sensible life philosophy. Turned out it was a much wider school of thought, with a lot of real stupid ideas in the mix.

Perhaps the same can be said of all religions; they're perfectly good and cool, so long as you make sure to dismiss all the stupid and bad ideas.

mystes
May 31, 2006

stoicism is lame do epicureanism

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mystes posted:

Shame this isn't a webcomic: https://www.amazon.com/Epicurus-Sage-William-Messner-Loebs/dp/1401200281

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

In the last issue of Tales of the Beanworld, we learned how the beans were born, how Proffy got her hat, and how Mr. Spook became the hero of Beanworld.

The cuties have started playing on their own. Also, more flashbacks incoming.

Beast Boy bothers Raven

welcome to fridgetown

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

mystes posted:

stoics and epicureans got constantly clowned on by a bunch of dirty homeless people living in barrels and masturbating in public, clearly cynicism is the superior philosophy.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

dadaism? no, school of world taught us to do PAPAism

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Previously on Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, all that work negated by the government

03/26/2018 - Just got back from the airport

quote:

you can tell I’m too tired to function because I went to log into my bank account instead of my website to post this at first.

04/02/2018 - Eight years just flew by, huh

quote:

It’s funny ’cause when I started making this comic I was only a couple years older than Jared, but eight years later and I’m just a couple years younger than Commander.

04/09/2018 - They probably have to look up their mutual facebook friends to remember how they know her

quote:

Okay I actually liked PacRim 2 a lot, but I can’t stop thinking about this scene, it was so bizarre. They kept acting like this character was close friends with them but like… she had no personality, history, or apparent narrative purpose outside of maybe standing between John Boyega and Scott Eastwood to no-homo their characters while they flirted with each other?

She felt like the person who insists you went to high school together and you don’t want to admit you don’t remember them at all so you just play along.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

uvar posted:

Hi Boba if you read these posts at some point. I don't think I mention your comics much because I'm often way back in the thread so commentary felt irrelevant by the time I saw them (and I'm not much into fantasy settings). But when I started thinking about drawing a while ago I re-read a bunch of your posts because I remembered you talked a lot about the process and what you were doing to improve, and they were interesting, both for the content and your different perspective. I was going to write more but I don't actually know what your motivation is (I enjoy making things for myself after years of procrastinating, but there's money, fame, wanting to share a message, etc.) so I just hope your goals don't feel too distant.

I do it almost entirely because I had decided early on I would not be a negative attention person, and instead be a person who attracted negative attention by being so shiny. That... Worked, but I wish it worked less lmao.

M_Gargantua posted:

You make great poo poo, or will make great poo poo, and it will be happy and bring balance to the universe.

I don't really understand most of your stories but the colors make me feel joy. So don't put yourself down so hard when you've still got years ahead.

Yeah, I'm hoping this one is the least confusing of the bunch it's just space one piece.

Mx. posted:

drat those pages are so good boba. really brilliant background work again, which i keep emphasising because you also fit the characters into the scenes so well which a lot of people dont when they're doing 3d or AI backgrounds. and i dig how often you do full-body character shots, those take so much longer than just doing head-up or waist-up panels

That's like my biggest fear, almost every comic has one or two panels I'll dm to random people and be like "Does this look bad, does this look out of place, do they sit in the frame?" I spend so much time trying to get everything seated just right.

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Princess reminds me of angel from borderlands 2 design wise, dunno if any inspiration was taken from there but I dig the look. I was wondering if you do all the shading by hand or if you have a fast way of doing it. I know that by the time I'm done paneling, storyboarding, sketching, drawing, cleaning up, and finally coloring and adding text I'm usually soooo done and have no energy for shading and there are a lot of different shading styles and techniques but was wondering what your method is like.

I responded to this, but Borderlands is one of the inspirations for this setting, that's why a lot of the guns are colored in such fun ways!

mycatscrimes posted:

Like, whoever did this is not your friend, and they wanted to hurt you. Being hurt is part of putting art out there into the world sometimes, so is finding that what you've made doesn't come off how you wanted it to. But actions like this have no purpose but to tear down, they are useless even for learning from, because people can and will find reasons to tear anything apart for fun. You can learn from people who dislike your art. You can learn from people who criticize you. You shouldn't try to learn from people who just hate you or want to hurt you for entertainment, they have nothing worthwhile to impart.

I'm sorry if that's clumsy, I don't really know how to say it right. Your comic was fine. Sometimes it was unpolished and sometimes it was out-there, but that's not a crime and didn't make it come across as just wankbait. If people read it that way, it is because they chose to, not because you were accidentally making monster girl playboy comics.

Edit: Sorry, I see you left. Leaving this up because I think it's true, but I don't expect any response and you don't owe any. I hope you will be well. I also see you say the post linked wasn't mean spirited and I believe you. However, whoever invited you to that other forum was being cruel.

mycatscrimes posted:

What a pustule of a human. They can get hosed.

Yeah it's one psycho, but it's all good, I've decided I'm just going to put myself out there even more because it makes them seethe.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Pomme de Terror posted:

04/09/2018 - They probably have to look up their mutual facebook friends to remember how they know her

quote:

Okay I actually liked PacRim 2 a lot, but I can’t stop thinking about this scene, it was so bizarre. They kept acting like this character was close friends with them but like… she had no personality, history, or apparent narrative purpose outside of maybe standing between John Boyega and Scott Eastwood to no-homo their characters while they flirted with each other?

She felt like the person who insists you went to high school together and you don’t want to admit you don’t remember them at all so you just play along.

I laughed at the comic, then I laughed at the notion of actually paying attention to the characters in Pacific Rim.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I have really enjoyed seeing your creativity and growth as an artist and I'm happy you've not been put off creating by this. You have a lot of cool ideas and passion for your work and for improving, and that makes it shine.

You are also the only person I've personally seen using AI in a way that gives me hope it can become a useful tool in the creative process and not just a cudgel to hit labor with.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Qwertycoatl posted:

With the strip cancelled a month or so after he died even though he wasn't on it any more, I have a feeling someone at Marvel had been wanting it gone but couldn't kill it before because it was Stan Lee's baby

I was talking about Stan Sakai as sunday strip letterer, not Stan Lee

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't think anyone hated it (it's basically impossible to hate), but they had to do something with it since it was being ghostwritten with Stan Lee's name on it. It was basically a tribute comic at that point, so retiring it with him doesn't seem weird

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Emzedoh posted:

What's that meme with the guy getting stabbed by his girlfriend's speech bubble? I'm suddenly reminded of it.

It usually means that the words are breaking his heart or otherwise hurting him. "You're pathetic and so boring, I could never find myself dating a worm like you" kind of talk.

I'm a little confused about Loki vs Utgards-Loki. One is Thor's brother and Odin's son. The other is a location, in the middle of all other realms? Is there some other translation of the location name?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Utgard is the castle, Utgards-Loki is the Jotunn who rules there.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Wikipedia: 'his name means literally "Loki of the Outyards" or "Loki of the Outlands"'

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

It usually means that the words are breaking his heart or otherwise hurting him. "You're pathetic and so boring, I could never find myself dating a worm like you" kind of talk.

I'm a little confused about Loki vs Utgards-Loki. One is Thor's brother and Odin's son. The other is a location, in the middle of all other realms? Is there some other translation of the location name?

Utgard is the location. Utgards-Loki is called that to distinguish him from his more famous namesake, Loki apparently being a relatively common name among Jötunns. Don't worry, you are far from the first one to be confused by this.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And Loki goes there because he likes to gently caress with you, personally

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Imagine living in your own castle and everyone adds an extra word to your name to differentiate you from the more famous guy that hangs around there sometimes

This is basically the "human Dave" situation

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Extra Ordinary

Thanks, Rob.

I'm not that kind of wizard.

just pick 'em and eat 'em, no need to check

lion I can't resist

rustle rustle rustle

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Car meets a seal on the streets of St. Petersburg! A rowdy pair of drunks careen towards the seal in their very nice car! Car slashes the car and its occupants, destroying them and saving the seal! Car's thoughts have already moved on to retrieving the holy football from where Esidi had sent it by post!

Read right to left:

Chapter 84 - In The Second Half, The Stroheim Team Scored

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'd like people's opinion on this:

Filters

No filters

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Night Visitors

Mirror rice cakes being a traditional new year's decoration. Nobody seems to be quite sure why they're called that - best guess seems to be "because the rice cakes are round, like a mirror?"

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
No John, you are the demons mirror rice cake

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

By popular demand posted:

I'd like people's opinion on this:

I prefer filters

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
figured since we're a third of the way through the current album to post some more Dolmistaska

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

End of Book 3

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Aw yiss, more Dolmistaska!

I didn't expect our little NonBi buddy to be this color but I'm not well versed with generically engineered catfolk.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Part of that is lighting, they's yellow in blue lighting I think, not a green gobbo

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dolmistaska has somewhat McNinja'ish vibe.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Kennel posted:

Dolmistaska has somewhat McNinja'ish vibe.

Idk if your avatar is new, but I just noticed it and it rules.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

Loki being Odin's son is a marvel invention. In the nordic myths Loki is a giant (what they call jotunn in the translation here for some reason), who is Odin's foster brother - a term the norse used to describe super-close manly man pals (no homo). Loki lives with the asar in Asgård, and is often counted among the norse gods. Utgårds-Loki is a giant who lives in Utgård ("The Outer Realm", lit. Out-Farm or Out-Court, home of the giants). They just happen to both be named Loki.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Timelets

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

Vampire Horse and the Dead of Winter

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Boba Pearl posted:

Idk if your avatar is new, but I just noticed it and it rules.

I bought it today and it makes me smile every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kennel posted:

I bought it today and it makes me smile every time.

Where's it from? It's excellent.

I really like this one. Trees want to maximise surface area and minimize mass, while working within constraints like gravity and wind strength and the flexibility of wood. And so you get these very beautiful fractal patterns, all the same yet all unique.
Hooray for trees