Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Helicopters, especially attack variants wouldn't have much use in Ukraine's current situation. What rotary assets they have are being used in hit and run lobbing attacks and even then it is questionable how useful they really are. Most of what you would want an Apache or the like you could easily use a drone for with less risk. For example if they had Predators they could launch Hellfires at targets. The pluses there are tenfold; smaller airframe which is harder for anti-air to spot and target, if it is destroyed you aren't losing valuable pilots and you are more willing to use them in more risky situations where you would not be willing to risk a human pilot and airframe; for example deep strike behind enemy lines. The US has a ton of them sitting that they couldn't get anyone to take before so I have to imagine that Ukraine has to have at least a few at this point.

Really most of the roles that the rotary airframes have traditionally been used for either have been or are going to be replaced by unmanned aircraft or drones. One has to believe that the CAS and SEAD/DEAD roles will be filled by unmanned airframes in the near future if there isn't already secret operational options in use. You have to remember that the US military has been very quiet with new capabilities since the end of the Cold War. The stuff that has been fielded have been using tech that is effectively 80s vintage. The F-35 and B-21 are effectively slight upgrades on 1980s tech, same with the various UAVs the sensors, optics and electronics are updated but the core system is still based out of the 1980s. What is being kept in the black would be keeping me up at night if I were a near peer adversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If any goons itt have real expertise in rotary-wing aviation I'd be interested in informed opinions about uncrewed platforms taking over for crewed rotary wing. The US Army just awarded a large contract to replace UH-60 Blackhawks with something that looks like a bigger Osprey (hopefully this one doesn't have the same bloodthirst for its passengers), and says its committed to getting a modern attack-scout helicopter.

The Air Force, meanwhile, is busy developing its Next Generation Air Dominance platform (think: successor to the F-22), and envisions using semi-ablative "wingmen" uncrewed craft, which function similar to mission pods on modern aircraft.

I think Russia's use of Ka-52s demonstrate that crewed rotary attack aircraft may not be entirely obsolete, but they do seem to be more niche than before. This is not my area of expertise, though.

Paranoea
Aug 4, 2009
On the Kharkiv front, has anyone seen any good reports on what's going on? I'm seeing on the Finnish OSINT tracker map a note of the Russians successfully crossing a river, so I suppose the 100k troops placed there are getting somewhere? https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/The-War-in-Ukraine/091194

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Ynglaur posted:

I think Russia's use of Ka-52s demonstrate that crewed rotary attack aircraft may not be entirely obsolete, but they do seem to be more niche than before. This is not my area of expertise, though.

How are they using the Ka-52s?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Basically as floating, unguided rocket artillery.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

For context, during the Russian Donbass offensive last summer, Russia was often firing over 30,000 shells each day. If the rest of Europe is like this, Europe is not ready for a war with Russia, even with air superiority. Don't forget: air superiority takes time, and Russia has changed its air defense command and control doctrine since 1991.

I feel that's a very confident statement that overplays the power of artillery. A dozen HIMARS completely stopped the russian army's advance last year.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

APKWS for plinking designated targets via rocket could be useful, but then youd need an expendable drone capable of designating for a heli with a comparatively short range and at that point you can just drop a GMLRS round on it

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dandywalken posted:

APKWS for plinking designated targets via rocket could be useful, but then youd need an expendable drone capable of designating for a heli with a comparatively short range and at that point you can just drop a GMLRS round on it

And at that point you might as well put the APKWS rockets on the drone to do both.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Moon Slayer posted:

Nope. Ka-52 is the best rotary wing platform available to them specifically because it doesn't have to do that, and can fire ATGMs instead. It's lovely compared to an Apache because it has to hover in place when doing that, but it's still a pretty nice capability.

It's what caused the loss of the few leos and bradleys that we got 400 different views of.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tuna-Fish posted:

Nope. Ka-52 is the best rotary wing platform available to them specifically because it doesn't have to do that, and can fire ATGMs instead. It's lovely compared to an Apache because it has to hover in place when doing that, but it's still a pretty nice capability.

It's what caused the loss of the few leos and bradleys that we got 400 different views of.

KA-52 has some interesting longish range weapon too which I forgot the name of. Like 15km or so. Cant carry as many as Vikhr though. Surprised US never went for something Brimstone-tier for range, but meh.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dandywalken posted:

KA-52 has some interesting longish range weapon too which I forgot the name of. Like 15km or so. Cant carry as many as Vikhr though. Surprised US never went for something Brimstone-tier for range, but meh.

The US has used ATG missiles or guided bombs from fixed wing aircraft for that capability.

The new rotary craft the US is looking at is using the push craft ideas that were first pushed in the 80s. The idea is they can station rotary airframes further from the front, have greater speed going to and from station using less fuel. Not sure how the trade off will be with noise and added complexity. It makes sense with transport rotary since you want people in and out quickly. With scout and attack I am not so sure how well the concept will work.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Owling Howl posted:

To finish off vehicles that get stuck on minefields

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Paranoea posted:

On the Kharkiv front, has anyone seen any good reports on what's going on? I'm seeing on the Finnish OSINT tracker map a note of the Russians successfully crossing a river, so I suppose the 100k troops placed there are getting somewhere? https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/The-War-in-Ukraine/091194

They have been pushing that area on and off continuously for months now. There supposedly is a 4 division RuAF reserve being trained and refitted in that area but no one can say for sure. The likelihood of some major RuAF breakthrough is probably low as the same OSINT/milbloggers have indicated that the Ukrainians have moved reserves with Western vehicles in response.

Djarum posted:

The US has used ATG missiles or guided bombs from fixed wing aircraft for that capability.

Sounds kinda like the 'tanks are dead' argument to me tbh. Wouldn't any drone system intended to replace attack helicopters need the same kind of loitering endurance capability combined with the heavy payloads that modern attack helicopters can carry?

I agree that attack helicopters are probably not what Ukraine needs right now given the Russians aren't trying or able to try and push deep into Ukrainian territory with armored columns that would necessitate attack helicopters in large numbers to stop but suggesting that attack helicopters are going extinct seems a bit premature.

fatherboxx posted:

Kofman states that Ukrainian armor has been stopped in instances where the attack never even reached the minefields. RuAF attack helicopters remain a big threat on the defensive.

Paranoea
Aug 4, 2009

MikeC posted:

They have been pushing that area on and off continuously for months now. There supposedly is a 4 division RuAF reserve being trained and refitted in that area but no one can say for sure. The likelihood of some major RuAF breakthrough is probably low as the same OSINT/milbloggers have indicated that the Ukrainians have moved reserves with Western vehicles in response.

Thanks. Yeah, I remember the Russians raising alarm over Ukrainian troop build-up a while back. I guess there's going to be the usual attack/counter-attack dynamic until something more dramatic worth talking about happens, and then ww hear about it.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Tuna-Fish posted:

Well if they are just using them as floating ATGM launch platforms from 5-10 miles out then I don't think that a very convincing argument in favor of rotary wing aircraft. You don't need platforms like that to be eithwr floating, manned or rotary wing and Ideally they wouldn't be.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Owling Howl posted:

Moon Slayer posted:

No, not really. They're using them as long-range anti-armor platforms. Their ATGMs have something like an 8-15km range, which is obscenely far for a direct fire system. It's not fire-and-forget, so the aircraft is vulnerable, but Ukraine has relatively few anti-air systems short of Patriot and S-300s--which are busy protecting cities--that can hit aircraft 15km behind the FLOT.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I feel that's a very confident statement that overplays the power of artillery. A dozen HIMARS completely stopped the russian army's advance last year.

I feel like people keep missing the fact that Russia has adapted. Even bad armies adapt. HIMARS had outsized effects for about 4-6 weeks. It was an important 4-6 weeks, but Russia did several things to reduce their impact:
  • Dispersed ammunition depots.
  • Moved brigade and higher headquarters back at least 100km.
  • Put brigade+ headquarters in underground, concrete structures.
  • Build a command-and-control system leveraging local telephony to allow brigade+ HQ to maintain command and control.
  • Dispersed artillery batteries into 1-2 gun elements.
Obviously all of those things come with distinct disadvantages, but none of them prevent Russia from shelling the poo poo out of a city. See: Bakhmut. See: the current Ukrainian offensive in Zaporizhzhia.

The dozen HIMARS did not single-handedly stop the Russian offensive. Did it help? Yes, tremendously. But there are no wunderwaffen in this conflict, and pretending otherwise will lead to bad policy.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

MikeC posted:

Sounds kinda like the 'tanks are dead' argument to me tbh. Wouldn't any drone system intended to replace attack helicopters need the same kind of loitering endurance capability combined with the heavy payloads that modern attack helicopters can carry?

I agree that attack helicopters are probably not what Ukraine needs right now given the Russians aren't trying or able to try and push deep into Ukrainian territory with armored columns that would necessitate attack helicopters in large numbers to stop but suggesting that attack helicopters are going extinct seems a bit premature.

Well theoretically you could make a larger unmanned aircraft that is still much smaller than a manned to do the same mission. Most people don’t realize more than half the weight of any airframe is for stuff to keep the pilot alive. If you eliminate the pilot you can make things in different shapes that are impossible with a pilot, make them smaller/lighter and carry more fuel/ordinance. The role that attack helicopters or CAS is not going away, far from it, but what is used in that role is going to change. It is a very dangerous job, especially in a hot war where the causality rate is astronomical, replacing that with an unmanned option where you can keep those piloting them far away from the front and safe is about as great of an idea as possible. Same with EW/SEAD/DEAD missions. Being able to replace that with an unmanned option is game changing. Who cares if you lose an airframe that costs a fraction of what the pilot does?

This is the future of combat really. It’s going to be battle bots in real life.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

It feels pretty obvious future war-tech is going to be overwhelming drone based. Drone tanks/aircraft/micro-craft/boats/subs and swarms supporting each larger platform.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Djarum posted:

Most people don’t realize more than half the weight of any airframe is for stuff to keep the pilot alive.

That’s just not true unless you define things like engines, wings, and fuel as being life support for the pilot.

An F-16 doesn’t weigh more than a Reaper because of the ejection seat and O2 system. It’s because the engine, alone, of a lightweight supersonic fighter like the F-16 weighs almost as much dry as an entire empty reaper.

Loyal wingman designs are lightweight because they’re slow and carry extremely limited payloads compared to a fighter jet.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

On that note, If I could wave a magic wand, I would have the West try to do the following:

One thing that stood out to me in the recent batch of support was a huge increase by value of night vision equipment.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The problem with remotely controlled drones is they're susceptible to EWAR and other measures that target the drone->pilot interface. It's straightforward enough to pre-program a target and route if you have sufficient ISR and accuracy into these drones like the Shahed, but for something like a rotary wing aircraft on a front line providing CAS, by definition there's an active element of reaction and on-the-fly engagement and responding to enemy maneuver that you can't (currently) pre-program into a drone. For fixed wing aircraft/missiles/AI wingman/etc. you could in theory use narrow beam radio/laser/etc. Means of transmitting the data link but that requires line of sight. It's much harder to maintain line of sight to a rotary wing aircraft that has to duck below the tree line, around hills, move along valleys, and otherwise keep itself moving dynamically to stay below the horizon of enemy GBAD guidance systems.

Until we have AI of sufficient capability to emulate human pilots, I just don't see an attack helo drone being viable. Unless there's like some secret sauce classified tech that renders EWAR moot behind it or something similarly capable.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Mederlock posted:

The problem with remotely controlled drones is they're susceptible to EWAR and other measures that target the drone->pilot interface. It's straightforward enough to pre-program a target and route if you have sufficient ISR and accuracy into these drones like the Shahed, but for something like a rotary wing aircraft on a front line providing CAS, by definition there's an active element of reaction and on-the-fly engagement and responding to enemy maneuver that you can't (currently) pre-program into a drone. For fixed wing aircraft/missiles/AI wingman/etc. you could in theory use narrow beam radio/laser/etc. Means of transmitting the data link but that requires line of sight. It's much harder to maintain line of sight to a rotary wing aircraft that has to duck below the tree line, around hills, move along valleys, and otherwise keep itself moving dynamically to stay below the horizon of enemy GBAD guidance systems.

Until we have AI of sufficient capability to emulate human pilots, I just don't see an attack helo drone being viable. Unless there's like some secret sauce classified tech that renders EWAR moot behind it or something similarly capable.

There are several notable US companies working on stuff like this. They use buzzwords like autonomous, mesh networking, edge computing, etc. EWAR doesn't do much against an autonomous device that only communicates when it wants to vs. need to do be connected at all times.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Paranoea posted:

The Russian bloggers seem to be downplaying what is going on in this area of the front. The report that there are supposedly 110,000 Russians concentrated in that area came from a Ukrainian general and has not been corroborated so far as I know.. The general didn't give any information as to what the disposition of that 110,000 figure was (IE if they were all combat troops or what). 110k would be an extremely high concentration of soldiers relative to what Russia has in other places which would seem odd given that Russia correctly anticipated the location of the Ukrainian offensive in the south and around Bakhmut and the troops they have there are engaged in tough fighting while there's not much going on up north.

Most of the analysis I've read seems to agree that if the Russians are moving forward here, it's only because the Ukrainians have denuded this section of the front to support operations going on in other places and the Russians are taking advantage of the situation to set up advantageous bridgeheads and positions for future offensive operations. This may come to an end pretty soon if the Ukrainians are truly sending reinforcements to this section of the front. Most Russian military observers seem to agree that Russia's plan is to wait through whatever is left of the Ukrainian offensive (which they expect to run through August) before Russia contemplates any significant offensive operations of their own.

**I will say that whatever has going on there seems to suffer from the same issues of reporting successes before they exist in reality.. so you'll hear claims of Russia advancing several kilometers and taking control of towns, and then 3 days later it will be clarified that while the Ukrainians did retreat out of the area, it is premature to state that the Russians control the area and it is actually more of a "grey zone". So good luck interpreting what's going on there with any degree of accuracy.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 24, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Who was ready for Russian MIC to use child labor?

https://zona.media/news/2023/07/24/alabuga

quote:

Underage students of the Alabuga Polytechnic college in Tatarstan's Yelabuga are massively involved in the assembly of Shahed drones and punished for refusing to work. This is stated in a joint investigation of the publication "Protocol" and YouTube channel "RZVRT".

According to journalists' information, several hundred college students aged 15-17 are engaged in the assembly of drones in the special economic zone "Alabuga". For this students receive 30-40 thousand a month. At the same time, they have to work around the clock - sometimes without breaks for rest and food. In addition, students are not allowed to disclose information about production - such a clause is stipulated in their training contract. For violating this clause, the student may be required to pay a fine of 1.5-2 million rubles to the college.

One of the students told reporters that they are closely monitored at the assembly plant by wiretaps and video surveillance systems. The security service can take away a student's cell phone and check his correspondences. At the same time for refusal to work teenagers are threatened with expulsion, which imposes on their parents the obligation to reimburse the educational institution from 170 to 420 thousand rubles as training costs. As "Protocol" and "RZVRT" write, students miss classes because of shifts at work.

Corporal punishment is also common in the college. According to journalists, one of the compulsory conditions of education is playing paintball. Students are awakened every Sunday at 5 a.m. and forced to reconstruct the battles of World War II. The flag of the "fascists" in them is the flag of the Third Reich, with the NATO emblem in the center instead of the swastika.

jesus loving christ

quote:

Journalists say that the management of the special economic zone is recruiting underage female students from African countries. For this purpose, Alabuga has developed a special recruiting scheme using the Tinder and Badoo dating apps: students are given premium accounts, and Shagivaleyev has written special "scripts" for them to communicate.

Now, according to journalists, Alabuga employs several dozen girls from Uganda, Ethiopia and Tanzania, who arrived here in the fall of 2022: under the pretext of acquaintance they are lured to Yelabuga, where they are attracted to the production as cleaners. In the staff schedule, these girls are called "mulattoes".

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

fatherboxx posted:

That's what they do in the video, but IIRC they claimed that the situation was created because the helicopter started by destroying the minesweeper vehicles at the front of the line.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tuna-Fish posted:

That's what they do in the video, but IIRC they claimed that the situation was created because the helicopter started by destroying the minesweeper vehicles at the front of the line.

There are also videos pretty much daily of Ka-52s sitting back and plonking tanks and other armoured vehicles, both moving and stationary.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Mederlock posted:

I agree that attack helicopters provide capabilities that drones can't currently replace but the role of an attack helicopter isn't to hang out 10 miles behind the lines and launch ATGMs at out-of-sight laser designated targets. It's fine that they can do that but you don't need an attack helicopter to provide that service.

EWAR can disrupt communications to manned helicopters and drones equally well. If the helicopters is merely used as a platform somewhere in the back to launch a missile when it receives a command to do so then it would be as vulnerable to EWAR as a drone.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Drone helicopters do exist, so clearly the defense industry does think they will become a thing at some point.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

moon demon posted:

There are several notable US companies working on stuff like this. They use buzzwords like autonomous, mesh networking, edge computing, etc. EWAR doesn't do much against an autonomous device that only communicates when it wants to vs. need to do be connected at all times.

I'm not sure if I want real Hunter-Killers to start automatically selecting targets, but pre-programming instructions if connection breaks should work (either return home, or proceed to attack pre-selected target).

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

lilljonas posted:

Also Ukraine's leadership has repeatedly pointed out that it has been harder than expected and that the initial plan didn't work out as they hoped.

I'm thinking that one of the big "what ifs" of this war that scholars will debate in the future is whether it paid off to postpone the spring offensive. As someone on the outside who has no real info on what the decisions were based on, it SEEMS that one of the reasons for the delayed offensive was to raise more mobile brigades, especially to equip them with the Western tanks that took a lot of time to actually get and train crews for. This gave Russia extra time to prepare and dig in, preparations that have proven to make the immediate use of said tanks moot as they have been barely deployed, almost two months into the offensive.

So if the offensive would be fought with attritional artillery and light infantry skirmishes, would it have been better to start it in April when the Russian lines were not quite as daunting? Would two months less of Russian fortifications matter? Or was the Ukrainian infantry forces not ready anyways for a Spring offensive? I have no idea, and I don't think anyone has all the data to give a honest answer, but maybe it'll be possible to puzzle it out after the war.

This is a good point. It seems to me a staggered offensive would reduce the potential for Russians to mine large swathes of land, and by this time we could have had UAF tanks roaming eastward unmitigated.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

fatherboxx posted:

jesus loving christ

For my own sanity I’m going to say that I don’t believe this until I see it reported by a major outlet

but it probably happened because 2020 never ends :(

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

jesus loving christ

That is pretty dire. I wonder if its a sign of demographic issues - the US also had a spate of child labor legalization laws being forced through recently, so it seems like there's a demand for unskilled labor that's not being filled otherwise.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

We’re looking to do a gang tag in the GBS thread for people who donate to an Ukraine based charity. Does anyone have the vetted charities list?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

fatherboxx posted:

jesus loving christ

Yeah but did anyone involved have a black sun tattoo?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

We’re looking to do a gang tag in the GBS thread for people who donate to an Ukraine based charity. Does anyone have the vetted charities list?

Hmm, I'm assuming you don't mean the list in the older D&D donation thread? Which is at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478

Zelenskyy says Ukraine is planning to start negotiations on EU membership this year:
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1683553025263017984

Also in a brief interview (I think it was on CNN), Ukraine's defence minister said he predicts Ukraine might win the war and join NATO by next summer. That feels overly optimistic to me though

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

jesus loving christ

I keep telling myself not to be shocked by anything Russia does, but uh, that sure is something.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

jaete posted:

Also in a brief interview (I think it was on CNN), Ukraine's defence minister said he predicts Ukraine might win the war and join NATO by next summer. That feels overly optimistic to me though

Probably, but at the same time winning the war might not have to come down to retaking the land militarily, as opposed to just hanging on while the authoritarian apparatus built around putin starts creaking and groaning like a carbon fiber submersible

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

fatherboxx posted:

jesus loving christ

Man I saw rumors going around about that a while ago and had really hoped that was just some wartime rumors.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/update-175-iaea-director-general-statement-on-situation-in-ukraine

IAEA reports of antipersonnel mines on the periphery of the ZPP, nothing about any rooftop explosives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/update-175-iaea-director-general-statement-on-situation-in-ukraine

IAEA reports of antipersonnel mines on the periphery of the ZPP, nothing about any rooftop explosives.

They were denied access to the roofs though.