Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

evilmiera posted:

How is a planet claimed by a Rogue Trader outside of the Imperium's official borders though? Isn't it part of the Imperium by definition?

Think of it like French Louisiana. It says "FRENCH LOUISIANA" in big letters on the maps ; and there's bold, thick lines stating precisely where it starts and ends, from Quebec all the way down to New Orleans ! Oh, and there's even a couple hunting camps and forts flying the French flag between those two !
And that's about it.

The *actual* population of "French Louisiana" doesn't know, or care, what a Louisiana is or what you're supposed to feed those. Nor do they recognize the authority of the king of France, seeing as they're any number of individual Native tribes who don't speak French, don't know what a king is and wouldn't bow to one sitting on a throne a relatively infinite distance away even if they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

DaysBefore posted:

Also while I'm not sure what the date is in Rogue Trader it's probably 999.M41 so the Imperium's going to be a little too busy in a year or so to do anything about a Rogue Trader not paying space taxes on their unregistered Gloriana-class ship

Yeah, it's definitely pre-Great Rift. We can still navigate fairly easily, for one thing.

I assume a future DLC will involve the Fall of Cadia/Noctis Aeterna and the start of the Era Indomitus. Would actually be quite interesting to see those events from the perspective of this game. Have fun maintaining your fancy rogue trader fiefdom after the Astronomicon goes dark and daemons manifest across the galaxy! And the Astronomicon will be going permanently dark at that -- the Koronus Expanse is going to be on the wrong side of the Rift.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 19, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Theoretically yes, for the most part. But then, so do Inquisitors. Practically there actually are limits - significant ones - on the authority of a Rogue Trader. Particularly weaker or newer ones. With that said, yeah there are a fair number of RTs with cruisers - even grand cruisers in exceptional cases - but was mostly just continuing the joke of why this clearly not a frigate actually is.

Yeah, in retrospect I'm not certain what I was thinking about - at least in terms generalities of Imperial ships. With that said, we're talking about a frigate or light cruiser here, neither of which have that heavily armored (6+ vs. 5+ armor, in BFG terms) bow. In terms of design - whether we're talking about making comparisons to actual ships or just going by the look in the viewer - you've also kind of got that prow lance sticking way past the bow of the ship. And while "I've got a lance on the front of my ship" is funny in terms of talking about ramming, you really don't want to actually hit someone with it.

The understanding I have is that your writs basically give you the de jure rights, but de facto you still have to play within the Imperial Bureaucracy and respect the people with actual power. A young RT might have a writ and a lot of power on paper, but in reality if they piss in a bigger fish's recaf, their ship may get 'lost in the warp' so to speak.

You need the physical power to back up your political power--you might be able to make the ones without political power kowtow, but the people who have both will absolutely clown you.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Fighting some rude dudes on Janus, are Elder supposed to be near totally unhittable grenade bait? Leaving them out in the open with a perfect shot and my snipers could only hit at a 4% chance, and stacking all the debuffs I could only brought it up to a little under 50%.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Outside regular imperial space a rogue trader is usually the biggest force around and derives their power from that. Inside the imperium they still do have power but as others have said it's a little more nebulous. However many of them are incredibly rich, like own multiple planets or richer than almost any imperial official outside sector level people which is where most of their power comes from inside the imperium. When your family has had several thousand years to build massive business interests it gives you a lot of soft power.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah like in the first bit of this game the Imperial Governors are all rogue trader appointed.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Caidin posted:

Fighting some rude dudes on Janus, are Elder supposed to be near totally unhittable grenade bait? Leaving them out in the open with a perfect shot and my snipers could only hit at a 4% chance, and stacking all the debuffs I could only brought it up to a little under 50%.

Maybe? I dunno, I didn't have much trouble after I closed in with my melee characters, but they all had Charge with that +3 Charge range upgrade so that made getting into CQC easy. Maybe lso try flamers? Lasguns with the talent that gives them -20% Dodge might also help.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The dodge chance on certain eldar might be bugged or it might be by design. But there's so few of them to fight it kinda doesn't matter. You absolutely do need to debuff them and use attacks that lower dodge because even flamers are going to have issues.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

evilmiera posted:

The dodge chance on certain eldar might be bugged or it might be by design.

It's Owlcat. It could be both.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Maybe? I dunno, I didn't have much trouble after I closed in with my melee characters, but they all had Charge with that +3 Charge range upgrade so that made getting into CQC easy. Maybe lso try flamers? Lasguns with the talent that gives them -20% Dodge might also help.

I sent inquisitor boy over to tie one up when they first appeared and he was, despite otherwise very capable in melee, completely humiliated over the course of like 5 turns getting ground down 6 damage at time while not being able to connect, even when I sent my lord captain in with their backup sword to help out after everything else had been mopped up. Even when Assail landed the knockdown the poncy git STILL dodged all the melee attacks, and eventually just died to the poison grenade field I'd left them in.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

? I have zero clue how anything you just said connects to anything I posted. Did you quote the wrong person?

I'm agreeing with you there's another person earlier in the thread who said that I'm arguing against.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Progress isn't going to carry over to release right? I just finished Act 1 and really enjoyed it, but I can almost never bring myself to replay games so I don't want to keep going and then get turned off replaying the first half of the game at release to get to the new stuff.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

D-Pad posted:

Progress isn't going to carry over to release right? I just finished Act 1 and really enjoyed it, but I can almost never bring myself to replay games so I don't want to keep going and then get turned off replaying the first half of the game at release to get to the new stuff.

Probably no. There's a bunch of rewards for quests that are not in the beta and a bunch of broken quests that would screw with the ending. You can probably safely stay away from the beta now that you've tried it, until they do a proper release.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So I've now beaten act 2 both as a Benevolentia and Imperialis character. There's no real reason to go Heretical in the beta so far as far as I saw but that may just be down to preference.

Strangely enough the best part of the game is the combat now, probably because I found out what builds are good or not. Argenta with a flamer, Abelard with a hammer or good chainsword, backed up by a leader character carried me through a lot of fights. Before I felt combat kind of dragged on but it got better after my party started shaping up.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I think I may have hosed up in Act 3. When you first get to Comorragh and you're super hosed up, there's a cutscene where some Drukhari kill somebody. If you investigate the body, it says that it looks just like you, and the body is lootable. However, getting the loot always resulted in an unwinnable fight for me so I just snuck around it and moved on to the next area. I have a sneaking suspicion that all my gear was on that body and now I will never get it back. Is that true, or do I pick it up later?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Username/post combo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do we know who the writers are for this game?

I really loved the writing in Wrath of the Righteous but found Kingsmaker to be very boring, an I'm curious if the writing staff on this game is the latter or the former.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Do we know who the writers are for this game?

I really loved the writing in Wrath of the Righteous but found Kingsmaker to be very boring, an I'm curious if the writing staff on this game is the latter or the former.

Kingmaker and Wrath had all the same writers, pretty sure(maybe a couple additions).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JamMasterJim posted:

Kingmaker and Wrath had all the same writers, pretty sure(maybe a couple additions).

Not according to the credits. There's some overlap but a big chunk of people are different.

Kingmaker:

Wrath:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I also thought Kingmaker was kinda boring (though that was more due to having to go through a million loading screens to get/do anything), but we should also take into consideration the kind of stories each was trying to tell. The Kingmaker AP was itself kind of boring, and heavily relied on the GM to spice things up for the players as they explored and expanded into vast empty spaces. Wrath on the other hand came premade with a massive demonic invasion, legitimately world-threatening stakes, a cinnamon bun succubus waifu to redeem or corrupt, and Wenduag.

That being said, having played the alpha and beta, I personally really enjoyed the writing in RT overall. Even my least favourite character in the alpha (Jae Heydari) more than redeemed herself in the beta, thanks to her quest.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Not according to the credits. There's some overlap but a big chunk of people are different.

Kingmaker:

Wrath:

It's a bit misleading. Avellone for example, did mostly editing work rather than character and quest writing. And he did that to an extent for wrath too (he is in the game credits, but if you remember, there were the allegations he got hit with that he got an apology for back in march so he was featured less prominently).
The official discord had the writers interacting a bit more and explaining what they wrote. The people who wrote the actual meat of the game (characters, quests and mythic paths) are pretty much the same. People who visited the discord more frequently would be able to tell you who wrote what exactly too.
What I remember is that Nika(who is the lady with the green stripe in her hair if I remember correctly) was the one wrote the tiefling twins, Jubilost (and his personal quest, aka the debates), Jaethal and Regill among others.
Thainen wrote Harrim(and he wrote a thesis on Suzumiya Haruhi once apparently).

Granted, change of editing policy, APO material and perhaps even attitude once they started doing a second game may have more impact than I can spot (wrath is certainly more bombastic and bit a more verbose in character interactions).

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 3, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd argue Wrath was more changed by rewriting than Kingmaker. Kingmaker's rewrites were mostly in the form of providing connection to a previously disconnected series of vignettes and revealing stuff that was on tabletop only GM facing with very little explanation on how to reveal it. Wrath meanwhile actively rewrote the motivations and personalities of several major NPCs and fully replacing several major set pieces.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 3, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can't speak in detail, as I've only played 20 hours of Kingmaker or so, but there's several different parts of the writing that I found to be much more interesting in Wrath.

There are a good amount of characters that I found myself intrigued by from the get go. Wenduag, Camellia and Ember have a pretty interesting introduction and figuring out what their deal is was one of the big draws of the game for me, and even the other companions that I found to be less interesting constantly interact with each other, at least with a few lines.

The main story of Wrath was on one hand very big and bombastic, and the whole crusade thing was...ehh...okay, but the personal involvement of your character in the big mystery of the plot, on the other hand, was excellent and had me on the edge of my seat until the end.

Kingmaker, on the other hand, I found to have none of those qualities. At least the first 20 or so hours.
The setup is very...generic, with no interesting hook to pull me in. Same with the companions, they felt fairly cookie-cutter, and they don't talk as much as companions do in Wrath, so I didn't find myself to be interested in any of them what so ever.

I'm not sure what changed between the games but at least for me it made a huge difference. I played through Wrath twice already and I'm planning a third playthrough when the last DLC comes out but I couldn't find it in me to play through much of Kingmaker.

Hopefully Rogue Trader will be more like Wrath than Kingmaker.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I can't speak in detail, as I've only played 20 hours of Kingmaker or so, but there's several different parts of the writing that I found to be much more interesting in Wrath.

There are a good amount of characters that I found myself intrigued by from the get go. Wenduag, Camellia and Ember have a pretty interesting introduction and figuring out what their deal is was one of the big draws of the game for me, and even the other companions that I found to be less interesting constantly interact with each other, at least with a few lines.

The main story of Wrath was on one hand very big and bombastic, and the whole crusade thing was...ehh...okay, but the personal involvement of your character in the big mystery of the plot, on the other hand, was excellent and had me on the edge of my seat until the end.

Kingmaker, on the other hand, I found to have none of those qualities. At least the first 20 or so hours.
The setup is very...generic, with no interesting hook to pull me in. Same with the companions, they felt fairly cookie-cutter, and they don't talk as much as companions do in Wrath, so I didn't find myself to be interested in any of them what so ever.

I'm not sure what changed between the games but at least for me it made a huge difference. I played through Wrath twice already and I'm planning a third playthrough when the last DLC comes out but I couldn't find it in me to play through much of Kingmaker.

Hopefully Rogue Trader will be more like Wrath than Kingmaker.
Well, considering that Kingmaker were their first game itīd be real strange if the developers didnīt learn some lessons for it when they started to write Wrath.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, uh, I specced Yrliet for full sniper adept/assassin and this actually gets kinda insane.

Slight spoilers for Act 3:

If they nerf Hunter into not being ludicrously OP against single targets, I can definitely see my Adept-Assassins become vital for dealing with strong enemies. It's also funny how the three adepts you get are all incentivized to play wildly differently despite using the same doctrine, between Pasqual being best as a short-range support and melee, Idira being mostly support oriented, and Yrliet being best built as a boss-deletion sniper.

Also, Idira gets pretty drat good. Prescience and Forewarning are the only two abilities in the game I'm aware of that can be used to pre-buff before combat and are quite strong buffs at that. Some of her Divination talents are also good, and she can make for a good support Adept with Joint Study, plus a backup sniper. Psychic Scream also gets very good once you push up her Willpower and Psy rating a bunch. High amount of warp damage (which really fucks with Drukhari) and it straight up bypasses cover and dodge.

evilmiera posted:

I also got this one :( not sure what triggers it, maybe the choices we made along the way on Janus?

This bug seems to be triggered if you make a deal with the Eldar - doesn't matter if you let them rule or just convince them that promising them safety is enough - and then get Vistenza backstabbed by her maid by convincing her that turning to Chaos was a poo poo idea. If you straight up condem Vistenza and then kill her yourself, it doesn't trigger.

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah I noticed the same thing. Even in encounters where the meter started pumped up I’ve never triggered Perils. For that matter my plasma guns have never overheated no matter how many times I use the alt fire.

From what I figured, Plasma weapons can't actually overheat, but you can use maximal mode (either AoE or damage boost) only once per turn no matter what.

PantsOptional posted:

I think I may have hosed up in Act 3. When you first get to Comorragh and you're super hosed up, there's a cutscene where some Drukhari kill somebody. If you investigate the body, it says that it looks just like you, and the body is lootable. However, getting the loot always resulted in an unwinnable fight for me so I just snuck around it and moved on to the next area. I have a sneaking suspicion that all my gear was on that body and now I will never get it back. Is that true, or do I pick it up later?

You get it back later.

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 11, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Magni posted:

This bug seems to be triggered if you make a deal with the Eldar - doesn't matter if you let them rule or just convince them that promising them safety is enough - and then get Vistenza backstabbed by her maid by convincing her that turning to Chaos was a poo poo idea. If you straight up condem Vistenza and then kill her yourself, it doesn't trigger.

Damnit. Well I won't go back to playing the beta a third time just to see act 3, so I'll just wait for the full game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The direction of act 3 annoys me. I want to play a rogue trader game not tourism of the deadliest places in space. Going where you go in act 3 and surviving and getting out and coming back is about as believable as somebody getting their head blown off in one scene and then coming back and saying they got better in the next.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can count on one hand the humans who have survived that place in 10,000 years

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

about as believable as somebody getting their head blown off in one scene and then coming back and saying they got better in the next.

That's happened more than once in Warhammer.

At one point because someone put a reactor in space and also the warp to fire a giant beam at a planet where the dead guy was to kickstart his body again.

As for surviving that place, it has happened a number of times, but I would wager the only reason we are getting out of there is because there's a space marine there.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

evilmiera posted:

As for surviving that place, it has happened a number of times, but I would wager the only reason we are getting out of there is because there's a space marine there.

Ulfar isn't really that big of a factor in it, actually. It's three big things overall IMO:

1. You have an actual Harlequin Solitaire looking out for and saving the MC multiple times because they're using you as a deniable asset for something. There's some hints that this may be literally part of a scheme by Cegorach.
2. Your actions in Act 2 have destabilized the local political landscape around the Kabal of the Reaving Tempest. Your actions in Act 3 make this a lot worse and cause a decent bit of chaos and infighting. Also the Reaving Tempest doesn't seem to be that particularily powerful or important a kabal to start with. You ain't facing Commoraghs' best here.
3. Drukhari arrogance. Like, every single one of these fuckers is underestimating you at every turn. You literally only get your feet under you because a Haemonculus decides to use you as a pawn in a petty grudge, and that fucker is an absolutely towering narcissist even by Eldar standards. Like, he literally lets you get your gear back and run around without any real leash, just because the mere thought of some Mon'keigh specimen actually pulling anything on him or otherwise defying his expectations is clearly absurd.

Magni fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 13, 2023

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Last time I saw any mention of it, there were tons of other races in commoragh and not just as slaves. Somewhere along the way some of the dark eldar had realised 'maybe having someone around who isn't genetically incapable of trying to murder/overthrow/torture me might be useful'.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Eifert Posting posted:

The direction of act 3 annoys me. I want to play a rogue trader game not tourism of the deadliest places in space. Going where you go in act 3 and surviving and getting out and coming back is about as believable as somebody getting their head blown off in one scene and then coming back and saying they got better in the next.

Arglebargle III posted:

You can count on one hand the humans who have survived that place in 10,000 years

rip to them but im different

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You're the protagonist so you are, by definition, built different

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

King Doom posted:

Last time I saw any mention of it, there were tons of other races in commoragh and not just as slaves. Somewhere along the way some of the dark eldar had realised 'maybe having someone around who isn't genetically incapable of trying to murder/overthrow/torture me might be useful'.

Yeah, it's ironically one of the more cosmopolitan places in the whole setting once you take into account the large underclass of various mercs, technically-not--slaves gladiators, shady traders and assorted people that are present around the edges, below the games of the Kabals, Wych Cults and Haemonculus Covens. Commoragh is anarchic as all gently caress and visitors can get away with a lot of stuff* so long as nobody pulls anything that gets the Drukhari pissed off enough to actually pay attention and crack down in force.

*While also being fair game for anyone else if they don't find someone bigger to affiliate with, mind you. It's an immensely dangerous place, but in the sense that there's a shitload of people who will happily gently caress you up if you look like you're both weak enough to be hosed with and worth the effort of doing so. It's not like a death world where everything tries to kill you by default.

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 14, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there a thread for the TTRPG?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

Is there a thread for the TTRPG?

Yup. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464821&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hopefully this game doesn't forces spyware on you like Owlcat just did for WotR lol

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

They're already getting rid of it, so I doubt it

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Magni posted:

Yeah, it's ironically one of the more cosmopolitan places in the whole setting once you take into account the large underclass of various mercs, technically-not--slaves gladiators, shady traders and assorted people that are present around the edges, below the games of the Kabals, Wych Cults and Haemonculus Covens. Commoragh is anarchic as all gently caress and visitors can get away with a lot of stuff* so long as nobody pulls anything that gets the Drukhari pissed off enough to actually pay attention and crack down in force.

*While also being fair game for anyone else if they don't find someone bigger to affiliate with, mind you. It's an immensely dangerous place, but in the sense that there's a shitload of people who will happily gently caress you up if you look like you're both weak enough to be hosed with and worth the effort of doing so. It's not like a death world where everything tries to kill you by default.

Reading all this, it sounds like a bit of a retread of what they did in Wrath of the Righteous for Alyushinarra (I'm not going to try and get that spelling right). Very, very few mortals get to hang around there and not become some demon's lunch/sport, and you really only get away with it because you are legitimately built different at that point, and between your growing real power and the interest of the powers-that-be, you can keep the plates spinning long enough to find your way back home.

Wrath was notably an adventure pack, but my understanding is that RT's story is mostly being cut from whole cloth, so I'm guessing the Owlcat folks looked back at that and thought why reinvent the wheel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, but the thing that makes Rogue trader tabletop engaging is that it's a grim dark Star Trek. I didn't necessarily want to have like seven gameplay factions all pissed at me doing the universal studios tour of the 40K universe.

That said, The NPCs and the intrigue within the ship regarding the former Rogue Trader are compelling enough that I'm actively thinking about them from time to time weeks after playing the beta. I think it's going to be a good, compelling game