Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Animalities looking stupid is part of the appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A major thing with DLC is that it, by necessity, needs to be planned in advance. Even if you're not going to release it until the game is out for a while it still needs to be something you start building before the game is out. Everything from voice acting to how they interact with the UI is something generally best to plan out ahead so you don't run into trouble later. It would make no sense and make everything harder to start work on DLC only after the game was out.

You can argue "Well, why don't they include it in the original release" and a big part of it is time and budget. Just because a character is already being worked on doesn't mean they are done or being given priority, and at some point you are going to have to solidify what characters are going to be in at launch versus who you can set aside and work on later. This makes it easier to focus on having a relatively worry-free launch because you can prioritize the main cast.

There are certainly cases where a character probably would have been in the game if not DLC (Shang Tsung in 1 seems a very likely example of that) but just because DLC is announced beforehand doesn't mean it is being actively prioritized beforehand. And there is a good amount of stuff that probably just wouldn't get worked on if not for DLC. It would either be shelved or set aside for a sequel or pseudo-sequel (i.e: an Ultimate/Turbo/whatever edition.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jamesman posted:

Like for console exclusives? I didn't realize it was a significant issue in fighting games because I'm not big on fighting games overall, but I think if a version of a game has a platform exclusive, the other versions should cost less since you're getting less content. I thought it was funny how Kratos wasn't allowed in tournaments because it wasn't fair to XBox people who didn't know how to play against him though.

I'm just an old man disillusioned with the games industry. I still like Mortal Kombat and I'm interested to see what they do with the actual meat of this game, so I'm not intending to just jump in here and poo poo on everything.

No yeah, as Smoking Crow notes, up until fairly recently if you wanted new characters, colors/costumes or even major or minor balance updates to a fighting game those came as a full new, full priced release. Some smaller franchises went a little less hard on the pricing but often harder on the number of rereleases.

God knows the DLC era in fighting games isn’t without its flaws, you can just look at the nightmarish list of DOA DLCs for a pretty compelling argument against. But for my money I’d much rather this era of fighters and games in general where things can be patched in (semi-)reasonable time and I can simply not buy characters or costumes that don’t interest me.

Though again, if we could get the piecemeal additions and the updated balance without the in-game grinds or the awful marketing practices I wouldn’t be sparing a tear for what we have now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think they would have announced the contents of the entire season pass so early if it hadn't already leaked.

One aspect of DLC nobody talks about is having paid unlocks for characters that are already in the game - Frost is not available in MK11 from the jump (or wasn't, maybe that's changed) and has to be unlocked by playing a ways into story mode, but the way she's initially presented on the character select is as if she's strictly DLC, and I do wonder precisely how many people felt compelled to pay money for her because they didn't know better.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm curious what the "multiverse/tower" setup will be for this game i.e. the single player challenges for unlocks and stuff. Beyond that also wondering how this game will look regarding little rewards and unlocks given that MK11 went to the max with intros/outros/costume sets/brutalities/etc. Guessing we'll get costumes again but with Kameos included in the mix, no idea if they'd do intro/outro stuff again as well.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I wonder what the logic was including 2 evil Supermen archetypes, 2 evil MK wizards, a single Kombat Kid and then John fuckin Cena as Peacemaker in the first round of DLK.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

AndyElusive posted:

I wonder what the logic was including 2 evil Supermen archetypes, 2 evil MK wizards, a single Kombat Kid and then John fuckin Cena as Peacemaker in the first round of DLK.

I'd imagine the logic behind the guest fighters was all transmedia synergy and/or a big fuckin' comedy check from Amazon.

Everyone else makes a certain amount of sense, particularly if they're keeping any part of the old origin where Ermac is/contains the ghost of King Jerrod.

I'd also be willing to guess that MK1 Takeda might be from Shang's New Era.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Takeda’s getup definitely screams generic cool hench so I’d say that’s likely.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jamesman posted:

People do. Maybe not you, and that's absolutely great that you are not as susceptible to the predatory practices of microtransactions and things like that, but we gotta acknowledge that these things are done because they are effective on those that are vulnerable to these practices.

In the context of MK11, like I said, it felt like there was a structure in place to sell people koins or whatever it was to "skip the grind," but then it was removed at the last minute. I can't prove it, but I do know I gave up on the weekly challenges and doing X amount of fatalities with each character and poo poo like that and never fully unlocked everything because it was just so boring and repetitive to me.

There was similar stuff in MK10, and if I remember right, that actually DID have microtransactions for the in-game currency, right? These games also had additional costume packs and fatalities and stuff that weren't included in the Kombat Pass stuff either. So I'm just saying to be prepared for all kinds of poo poo like this to be loaded into this game.
I dont think asking for $2 for a new way to rip someone's spine out at the end of a videogame match is a predatory marketing practice.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's not even like alternate costumes and fatalities being locked behind a grind is a new thing to the series..... in the past it was a grind AND random chance based on which krypt plot you unlocked with no way to ameliorate it

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I was trying to come up with a joke reason why we have not Reptile yet, but then I realized that in this timeline, his people and realm are probably alive and well and he is likely just chilling.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

EorayMel posted:

What does Kollector's era look like :thunk:

A multiverse of MLMs. A multiversal-level marketing scheme, if you will, with Argus's pyramid literally replaced by a pyramid scheme.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Twibbit posted:

I was trying to come up with a joke reason why we have not Reptile yet, but then I realized that in this timeline, his people and realm are probably alive and well and he is likely just chilling.

Khameleon was spotted in the background of one of the story trailers that released recently. So Zaterrans are around at least.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Pope Hilarius II posted:

A multiverse of MLMs

No, that's my fanfic

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q5gWq4LeUM

Holy poo poo this looks good

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I have very mixed feelings so far based on the latest trailers.

1: I love Baraka and was not expecting to see him return, so I am pleasantly surprised

2: Baraka felt really boring to play in mk11 in a way that burnt me out on the game pretty fast

3: mk1 Baraka looks to be doing much cooler poo poo than mk11 Baraka was so I'll allow for some hopefulness again

That's my entire takeaway so far thanks for reading

Orv
May 4, 2011
Your Tarkatan takeaway, if you will

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Orv posted:

Your Tarkatan takeaway, if you will

Tarkatan Takeout would be a good username

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shiskabobs only, of course

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

brainSnakes posted:

Tarkatan Takeout would be a good username

Brits call takeout takeaway, hope that helps

Baraka was bottom-tier in MK9 too, the guy has really had a tough time in the current timeline.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Some story stuff revealed:

- Scorpion is confirmed as Kuai-Liang. Whether Smoke is still Tomas or changed to Hanzo is now the big question.

- Baraka was a respected merchant in Outworld before contracting the plague. He saw how defeated and hopeless the other Takartans were and decided to dedicate his existence to giving them a better life.

- Tanya had taken a vow of celibacy and her life is in jeopardy because she and Mileena are getting intimate behind everyone's back.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Liu Kang was like "yeah I ship that."

Graham Fury
Oct 26, 2010
They should've gone all in on the Evil Superman theme for the DLC. Give me Brightburn, Ultraman, Zod, and Jonah Hill from Megamind.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Do that model swap thing from Injustice 2 so Homelander can also be Injustice!Superman, Brightburn, Earth-1 Grant Morrison Ultraman...

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Midnighter would be great for MK but i don’t think enough people would know who he is.

Also A-train versus kabal

Black noir vs noob saibot

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Brits call takeout takeaway, hope that helps

I did not expect to learn something in the Mortal Kombat thread today, but here we are. :cheersbird:

Gavok posted:

- Baraka was a respected merchant in Outworld before contracting the plague. He saw how defeated and hopeless the other Takartans were and decided to dedicate his existence to giving them a better life.

And this is officially the tidbit that pushed me from total indifference towards Liu Kang's fanfiction rewrite extravaganza towards genuine interest. Fine, Ed. I guess I have to live in a world where Baraka is personally responsible for getting me to ground floor two consecutive mk games.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Midnighter would be great for MK but i don’t think enough people would know who he is.

If there was ever a comic character who asks for a parry-based moveset, it's him.

Midnighter vs. Geras meet for the first time, but have fought each other thousands of times in their minds.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Gavok posted:

If there was ever a comic character who asks for a parry-based moveset, it's him.

Midnighter vs. Geras meet for the first time, but have fought each other thousands of times in their minds.

Geras is strong but does he have….GAY SASS??

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

baraka previously being a respected merchant still tracks with the "He's Kano" theory.....

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m now singing Tarkatan Takeaway in my head to the tune of that Adicts song

Hey hey I want Tarkatan Takeaway
Hey hey, woo woo woo

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

Some story stuff revealed:

- Scorpion is confirmed as Kuai-Liang. Whether Smoke is still Tomas or changed to Hanzo is now the big question.

It's kind of weird how the ninjas all got mixed up like this and at least one of them is going to just be out of the story. Personally, I hope the truth is that Liu Kang made sure Hanzo and his family never died, so he's just off living a nice, peaceful family life somewhere away from all thing while Liu made sure Kuai-Liang got his powers in case they ever needed them.

"Hanzo deserves to be happy, but man those powers are cool. Better make sure someone gets them at least."

Orv
May 4, 2011
Who would not wish to be a fire skeleton if given the option

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
We still need a Noob Saibot.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Scorpion's MK11 towers ending had him discover that his family's death was a Dr. Who-style fixed point in time, for reasons that were beyond anything he could learn with Kronika's power.

While not every tower ending ever amounts to anything, both that and Hanzo himself feel like big, unfired Chekhov's guns for this.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I feel like Shang Tsung is going to introduce tortured revenant Hanzo scorpion into the story, who will fight Kuai Liang and the Lin Kuei to decide who is the real Scorpion

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Wanderer posted:

Scorpion's MK11 towers ending had him discover that his family's death was a Dr. Who-style fixed point in time, for reasons that were beyond anything he could learn with Kronika's power.

While not every tower ending ever amounts to anything, both that and Hanzo himself feel like big, unfired Chekhov's guns for this.

Sub Zero (Bi Han) kills Smoke and a majority of the Lin Kuei so Scorpion (Kuai Liang) vows vengeance. MK 13/2 has Smoke and other Lin Kuei returning as zombie cyborgs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Liu Kang's like the only elder god now and controls all time? That's him hanging out with the Outworld princess in that released scene though? He's just slumming it for fun?

Orv
May 4, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Liu Kang's like the only elder god now and controls all time? That's him hanging out with the Outworld princess in that released scene though? He's just slumming it for fun?

He comes from the Raiden school of meddling godhood

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Liu Kang likes to watch. He's a prankster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Elder Gods in the MK universe aren't really omnipotent flawless beings. They're more akin to Greek Gods in that they're actually pretty much powerful humanish fuckups.