Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ded posted:

what does the pistol/pistol build look like?

Like this :blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Usually enough to hit top dps with a flame turret and condi signet, take J-drive over jade mortar if you want to be extra lazy and keep signet passives, otherwise use kits if you want to put in more effort.
https://snowcrows.com/builds/engineer/mechanist/condition-mechanist

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 23, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Is setting up macros to push the buttons for you in the correct order at optimal times considered cheating? Obviously so for PvP, however? I only play PvE. What’s the consensus on that?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I played the game with my 5yo niece today, I mostly used the mouse and she did the rest and she absolutely loved it. just exploring areas and using the mounts, mini pets, gliding and changing skins completely pulled her in. and she discovered that the turtle mount can go underwater, which I did not know lol

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Is setting up macros to push the buttons for you in the correct order at optimal times considered cheating? Obviously so for PvP, however? I only play PvE. What’s the consensus on that?

I think the general Anet stance is that one button press needs to equal one skill cast / action. So probably not great.
Look into low intensity builds-- https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/ is a pretty good source for low actions-per-minute builds in a lot of game modes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am frothing at the mouth for when Pistol/Torch Reaper becomes available.

It's going to be such a good time.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

FlapYoJacks posted:

If you could do this half the builds wouldn't have buttons. Just activate doRotation() and worry about movement while the game hits all the 20 different cooldowns they expect a human player to remember. :v:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's never going to happen. Hell, not even WoW has an ingame dps meter.

True, hard to argue with your point since the game has been around 10 years, and we haven't had a DPS meter implemented yet, or even seriously discussed by the devs (to my knowledge).

Still, though, it would benefit the whole community. Maybe the reason they aren't including one is because it could make newer players feel bad about their performance and feel judged when grouping with hardcore/experienced folks. But it could be added as an optional thing, in the game settings, and not toggled on by default. So the game wouldn't be rubbing it in your face when your DPS is lower than the Condi Virtuoso with 10 thousand hours played.

And if they won't do that, Anet should at least help train new players on how to be successful in multiplayer/end game content. I just don't see how a fresh expansion (which is supposed to be a stand-alone product) isn't the perfect opportunity for this.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
dps meters just give people something more to gripe about if the person next to them isn't up to whatever standard that person thinks they should be at

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'll start by saying if I had to choose between having DPS meters or banning them I'd rather they be banned. People can be assholes with them and they go against the otherwise chill vibe of this game in PvE imo.

That being said I do find them useful for things like CM fractals personally and also for deciding if a group is hopeless or not. Fights like dark AI get a lot harder if you're not hitting DPS breakpoints, like getting her to 66% before the second breakbar. In cases like that you can tell if you're the weak link, another individual is, or the whole group's DPS is just low. I never use it to call out individuals, but if the group DPS is low you can be like "hey our CC is fine but our overall DPS is a bit low, if you can swap out some CC for damage that may help". You'd be surprised but sometimes that does make a difference and people find a way to push out a bit more damage to get on track. The only time I told an individual their DPS was low was after I mentioned overall group DPS was too low for hitting said breakpoints (it was one person). Said person then messaged me and asked if I was running a meter and if their DPS was low. I told them it was a bit but no worries, but they went ahead and swapped to another class since it turned out they were trying a new spec. They came back, topped the meters, and we cleared it easily after that.

So they can be useful for specific content but yeah overall I think people tend to be elitist with them. I do like the idea of them being tacitly permitted, but if someone uses them to be a jerk they could be reported and suspended/banned.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Yeah in no world is an automatic in-game dps meter a remotely good thing. Any reason you’d ever need it, you or someone else would have it installed already.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I managed to get the 900LI for legendary everything without ever installing a dps meter or practicing on the golem or anything. They're unnecessary and most of the hard encounters are about knowing the dance not cranking out a particular number.

I got asked to leave a raid group once for not doing enough dps and it put me off raiding for a month

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Coincidentally that's also what pistol/pistol thief looks like when I play it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

dropping a meteor storm on dudes loving rules

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Meowywitch posted:

dropping a meteor storm on dudes loving rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRRmPwmkxW0

Yeah it's great

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

dps meters would just distract me from whatever im watching on my other monitor

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My favorite instanced pve content is being in PUGs where a couple people are new and the rest of the group is both chill and skilled enough to #yolo it and roll with the punches.

It might be way more time effective when everything goes right but it's wayyy more fun flying by the seat of your pants and somehow winning.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i cant have fun in games unless i am Rank #1 on the Unofficial Third Party Damage Meters that are specifically forbidden under the User Code of Conduct and Terms of Service

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's never going to happen. Hell, not even WoW has an ingame dps meter.

wow absolutely has ingame dps meters, and it's been really funny last couple weeks because they added a support class that does poo poo dps, but makes everyone else's dps way higher, and people keep kicking them because they don't know about it. "oh, my dps being 20% higher than the theoretical max? that's just me being really good at the game, get lost fucko" lmao

e: lmfao

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 24, 2023

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Arcdps allows you to monitor your performance and compare it to that of others. Which otherwise is basically impossible in this game. Personally, when I am playing a game with complex systems, I want feedback about how well I am doing and how I can improve. I dunno why some people that play this game seem to consider ignorance a positive, and getting carried by people who actually know what they're doing some kind of birth-right. It's very weird.

At least on EU, the only times I've ever seen someone called out for low dps is when someone is doing significantly less than the supports as pure dps. I've not yet seen a toxic interaction, the conversation usually goes:

:): "hey, X, how come you're doing no dps? Your auto-attack should do more than that"
:v:: "oh, I'm not doing good dps? Sorry, I'll go and look into it"
:): "sure dude, here is a link to a build for your profession"
(group then continues to clear the content, carrying the dead-weight player)

I've never seen anyone get upset because someone isn't doing 90% benchmark or whatever on a golem boss (which honestly is trivial if you understand a build and have the right gear on). But people always bring up this strawman that dps meters encourage toxic behaviour. Even though most people already use them in end-game group content, and they clearly do not.

Truga posted:

wow absolutely has ingame dps meters, and it's been really funny last couple weeks because they added a support class that does poo poo dps, but makes everyone else's dps way higher, and people keep kicking them because they don't know about it. "oh, my dps being 20% higher than the theoretical max? that's just me being really good at the game, get lost fucko" lmao

e: lmfao

Yep, toxic players gonna be toxic, with or without a damage meter. Pretty hilarious when it's because they completely misinterpret the information they're presented with. As I understand, the 3rd party parser websites actually attribute this extra damage to the support player, but for some reason Blizzard decided not to make that information available to in-game add-ons like damage meters. Good argument for presenting more info to players in-game rather than less imo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
personally, i think if someone gives you poo poo over your dps and you can report them to make them go away from the game permanently because they have to be using mods to know about it, is good

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Truga posted:

wow absolutely has ingame dps meters

Player addons =/= official dps meter, which is what the OP was asking for. In fact, WoW is the farthest from it. GW2 has the golem, FF14 has some sort of timed dps dummy that has scaling HP in accordance with expected dps. WoW has never had anything similar that could be used to measure your damage (again, provided by the game).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I swear there are training dummies in orgrammar I've used before

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

DPS report.

Back at launch i played staff necro. Condition.

lol, yeah, people would complain about me endlessly.

Now, ive had 1 fractal where someone offhand mentioned i was doing less damage than the support in the jellyfish fight. (but i use condition dps in water when im fully geared for power, and a few other really stupid things i shouldnt ever admit to if i want to ever get a party again)

I installed arc for a bit, and found i typically hit slot 4-6 in overall dps being a lazy bum on whatver i play, sometimes 1-2, in huge 50 squads im usually in the top 10, or coming in and out.

It did give me the confidence to raid and stuff knowing that.

And GOON/SDF, ive never heard anyone say anything about dps, or even knowing the fights. Everyone is drat chill and willing to help out.
And recommend people join the Guild Missions (which is Sunday morning for me, and i can only do once a month due to commitments) You dont have to know anything, leaders welcome you in and its all-round good times.

In saying that, who wants to take me through Wing 7, ive only ever done 1 fight, but need the coalesence crap. LOL

(and another 100+ LI >< )

And last rant.

I just realised the cute monsters in guild hall are like 3-4 different pieces put together to make a monster >< Those are awesome and ive always wondered what they were and what boss dropped them. LOL

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Truga posted:

personally, i think if someone gives you poo poo over your dps and you can report them to make them go away from the game permanently because they have to be using mods to know about it, is good

Sorry dude, but arcdps is explicitly allowed. In fact, anet actually requested the author remove a few features they didn't like (which he did).

Maybe try Final Fantasy, where dps meters are explicitly disallowed (but everyone who plays the game remotely seriously still uses them, lol).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i already play ff14, yes. cleared all the savage content without a dps meter :shrug:

also many people who play "seriously" play on consoles where there's no dps meters at all lol

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
No-one's said at any point you can't clear the content without a dps meter. What I've been saying is the game gives you no feedback on your performance. Which is garbage if you actually want to monitor your own, or your group's performance. Particularly in a game like this, where a good player can easily have 10 times the damage output of a bad player.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Meowywitch posted:

I swear there are training dummies in orgrammar I've used before

WoW put in training dummies ages ago. Pretty much the same as the golem, only without all the cool features for size/buffs/etc. Helps with testing things but doesn't help at all with prioritizing actions in a real fight.

..btt posted:

But people always bring up this strawman that dps meters encourage toxic behaviour. Even though most people already use them in end-game group content, and they clearly do not.

The statement isn't that they encourage it. They just facilitate it in a way that would be a net result bad if it was a stock inclusion. Those WoW screenshots may all be based on something relatively new and unknown, but several of them paint the same situation - they won and are still bitching at someone about it. Without a meter, they'd just win.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I apologize if I derailed the thread with bringing up DPS meters, I know it's a loaded topic.

To be clear, I've never called out another person for having low DPS. Most of my time is spent with training groups, just random folks on LFG, teaching new folks mechanics, and getting them to feel confident to clear Harvest Temple, Boneskinner, KO, etc.

Should you be able to report someone for acting toxic and complaining about a person's DPS, and being a jerk about it? Yes. But will Anet act on it? The jury is still out there - I report people for saying horrible things and I'm not certain if they've been banned, at least I still see some of them hanging around in Arborstone. This also applies to botters, who you can report them 20x times and still see them farming on their Necromancer in the same exact location a week later. It's an Anet infrastructure issue - their reporting system is jank and there isn't enough moderation.

I totally understand having in-game DPS meters could ramp up toxic behavior, but honestly, as said before, people are going to be toxic with or without an official DPS meter. They still do it all the time with arcdps installed, in fact, it's worse - because they'll be the only person with arc installed, and that makes them feel entitled, like they have access to special privileged information that they need to share with the group. Or that somehow their opinion carries more weight because they have the arcdps stats and you don't.

Unless a new player is going out of their way to install arcdps, how are they going to meaningfully improve? It's a tool to learn where you're at and receive feedback on your own performance, it can be a positive thing. Just as btt said.

Can we at least all agree that there should be more in-game training for end game content? Learning rotations, learning how to provide boons, instructions on selecting gear, you could have special quests and target dummies to help explain it. This could be a lot of fun. Add an extra training room in Eye of the North next to where those NPCs are beating up practice dummies. They definitely have the tools to implement something like this - the gauntlet event in the latest festival is a perfect example of what I'm talking about, just tweak something like that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Reducing all context to pure numbers always seems to come at the expense of the support characters and skills that keep everyone alive.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my favourite arcdps anecdote is when i was doing the kaineng strike mission for the turtle on EOD release week and 2 guys kept whining about how unacceptably low our number is. i clearly stated in lfg that i'm rusty because i haven't played in a long time, in addition to running the strike blind so there's no expectations of clearing the thing and that any noob can join and whatever happens, happens

also, they kept getting plastered by the most transparent telegraphs in that fight, and then saying "well we normally have more dps so i've never seen this happen before" lmao

we finally cleared when me and 2 other randos, the poo poo dps noobs that we are, have seen enough retries that we finished the final third of the fight while the said mad dps shitlords were lying on the floor for 10 minutes telling us to wipe already because it'll be faster that way for sure

in conclusion,

Mailer posted:

I too support The Warframe Method.

Jedah posted:

Can we at least all agree that there should be more in-game training for end game content? Learning rotations, learning how to provide boons, instructions on selecting gear, you could have special quests and target dummies to help explain it. This could be a lot of fun. Add an extra training room in Eye of the North next to where those NPCs are beating up practice dummies. They definitely have the tools to implement something like this - the gauntlet event in the latest festival is a perfect example of what I'm talking about, just tweak something like that.
IMO, it's a problem with many games, and not just MMOs either, that they give you a basic tutorial, but then keep adding on mechanics for the next 30 hours and if you never notice something that's not major enough to prevent you from progressing easily, you might finish the game before even realizing it's there

combos are a huge mechanic in the game that can make your character way more powerful if used right, but the only time you're actually required to do one to progress is that one wall in eod lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

When I was doing strikes every day there would always be someone that would make a snide comment about DPS but what really got me was when I was on my kitted out reaper and was 2nd slot and someone hounded me for a couple days saying that "You shouldn't claim to be DPS if you're not going to be slot 1!"
Nevermind that I shaved a little damage off by taking the trait that rezzes people when I'm in Shroud. You're loving welcome, warrior that went down WAY more than everyone else.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
What's slot 1/2 in that context?

I've been dusting off my reaper, and while I'm sure I'll get into the groove, relearning rotations in GW2 is always daunting for me.

An in-game personal DPS meter would be very welcome IMO. Let people know how they're doing, but don't let people view others (at least not in-game). Push the training dummy a little more, tie some rewards to hitting certain DPS numbers.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
The reason dps meters don’t always cause toxic behavior is likely due to the population of people that choose to use them, which goes out the window if you made them default in-game for everyone. Saying they don’t produce toxic behavior is more of a straw man than saying they don’t.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

xZAOx posted:

What's slot 1/2 in that context?

I've been dusting off my reaper, and while I'm sure I'll get into the groove, relearning rotations in GW2 is always daunting for me.

An in-game personal DPS meter would be very welcome IMO. Let people know how they're doing, but don't let people view others (at least not in-game). Push the training dummy a little more, tie some rewards to hitting certain DPS numbers.

Love the idea of a personal DPS meter just exclusively for the player, it would require Anet to crack down on Arcdps (which shows everything/everybody), which will probably never happen, but it's still a very good thought.

For help with Reaper, check this out, it's an easy rotation and about 35k DPS. Full Berserker stats so it should be easier to gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh6bJYA6BDw

This content creator makes great videos and explains things well.

There's also the Lord Hizen variant if you're looking to become an unstoppable PvE open world killing machine.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Honestly I can't stand instanced PvE content where the focus is on a single boss and pattern matching mechanics. Bring back GW1 style Elite Missions where speedruns were about splitting into subgroups, cheesing minions/mob AI, and having good mobility through a big zone. (I know they won't but I hate raids)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Leveling Ele has been smooth so far but I kind of wish the game would challenge me a bit more on what is ostensibly the hardest class, even during the leveling process...

But I assume that's gonna have to wait till 80.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Power creep has made core Tyria even easier than it was at launch. I'd wait until you get to expansion content before you crow too much.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
regular leveling is super easy now. esp with the "guides" cheevos that can boost you 5 levels a pop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Meowywitch posted:

Leveling Ele has been smooth so far but I kind of wish the game would challenge me a bit more on what is ostensibly the hardest class, even during the leveling process...

But I assume that's gonna have to wait till 80.

Just enjoy the ride. I remember going full goblin mode, pulling an all-nighter, leveling my Ranger and questing, just running around starting zones and having an absolute blast.

There's plenty of difficult content waiting at 80. People have this impression that GW2 is an easy game, then you walk into Harvest Temple challenge mode...