Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Frosted Flake posted:

AV Club had an angry review that conceded that the film was good but insisted that actually drug dealers, pimps and prostitutes are not holding African American communities back but are a charming part of the community.

It was real weird.
Does the film start with a Goodfellas narration that pimping is "protection for sex workers who can't go to the cops" or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
drug dealers pimps and prostitutes are a result of African Americans being held back by the state and capital, not its cause (or a thing to celebrate)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

As the movie continues, it adds heavy layers of social commentary to a rather nimble and funny genre mashup, tackling the relationship of Black folks to Black folks, both despite and because of the influence of white folks in our communities. Clones notwithstanding, at this point the movie becomes a drama and the “pimp and hoe” schtick becomes the foundation of a more thoughtful commentary. It acknowledges theories related to environmental dumping, the distribution of crack cocaine, voter suppression, and maternal death rates in the Black community, and yet the film’s writers, director, and producers (mostly Black folks), have a point of view about the causes of these problems that some will find specious. I also don’t care for the film’s conception and condemnation of the “Hood.” As someone of the Hood—we called it the Ghetto when I was coming up—I know that while it includes some drug dealers, the occasional pimp, and assorted hoes, it also had (and still has) myriad people who are none of those things. The great majority of people in and from “the Hood” are doing fine, if not well—even if it is also true that “the man” is looking to get his knee on a brotha’s neck, literally and metaphorically.

Back in the day, films like Super Fly considered themselves dramas, ostensibly about the internecine workings of urban Black America at the time. In fact, they would have been nominated as dramas if the Academy had been woke to the Black Experience through more than the soundtracks of the early 1970s. So as companion pieces to the thematically ballsy comedy drama They Cloned Tyrone, I recommend a couple of throwback films about the Black community from back in the day: Uptown Saturday Night (1974) and Let’s Do It Again (1975) are a couple of not-often-spoken-of Black classics distinctly set in the Black community and pointed at Black audiences, featuring African American characters involved in comedy capers. These films are full of Black folks doing Black things in Black ways. They’re still funny, and interestingly, they are not thinking about white folks at all.

The adjunct professor/Defence contractor/USAF Veteran that wrote the review thinks that black folks do black things in black ways with no involvement of the government.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:41 on Jul 24, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oppenheimer good, shout out to Christopher Nolan, the "what if i make a good movie for a change" gambit paid off

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!

indigi posted:

drug dealers pimps and prostitutes are a result of African Americans being held back by the state and capital, not its cause (or a thing to celebrate)

indigi, thank you

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Frosted Flake posted:

As the movie continues, it adds heavy layers of social commentary to a rather nimble and funny genre mashup, tackling the relationship of Black folks to Black folks, both despite and because of the influence of white folks in our communities. Clones notwithstanding, at this point the movie becomes a drama and the “pimp and hoe” schtick becomes the foundation of a more thoughtful commentary. It acknowledges theories related to environmental dumping, the distribution of crack cocaine, voter suppression, and maternal death rates in the Black community, and yet the film’s writers, director, and producers (mostly Black folks), have a point of view about the causes of these problems that some will find specious. I also don’t care for the film’s conception and condemnation of the “Hood.” As someone of the Hood—we called it the Ghetto when I was coming up—I know that while it includes some drug dealers, the occasional pimp, and assorted hoes, it also had (and still has) myriad people who are none of those things. The great majority of people in and from “the Hood” are doing fine, if not well—even if it is also true that “the man” is looking to get his knee on a brotha’s neck, literally and metaphorically.

Back in the day, films like Super Fly considered themselves dramas, ostensibly about the internecine workings of urban Black America at the time. In fact, they would have been nominated as dramas if the Academy had been woke to the Black Experience through more than the soundtracks of the early 1970s. So as companion pieces to the thematically ballsy comedy drama They Cloned Tyrone, I recommend a couple of throwback films about the Black community from back in the day: Uptown Saturday Night (1974) and Let’s Do It Again (1975) are a couple of not-often-spoken-of Black classics distinctly set in the Black community and pointed at Black audiences, featuring African American characters involved in comedy capers. These films are full of Black folks doing Black things in Black ways. They’re still funny, and interestingly, they are not thinking about white folks at all.

The adjunct professor/Defence contractor/USAF Veteran that wrote the review thinks that black folks do black things in black ways with no involvement of the government.

What a weird take. Especially because at the end the climax is the entire hood coming together to defeat the conspiracy. What's more, we find out that the villain is an Uncle Tom who's plan is to essentially wipe out minorities and make everyone white. The ultimate message is that black culture is worth preserving and minorities shouldn't assimilate into the majority just for the sake of peace. At the same time, while it acknowledges that drug dealers and pimps and so forth can be fundamentally decent people, they aren't exactly improving the black experience.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

assorted hoes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

croup coughfield posted:

indigi, thank you

happy to be of service

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Special Ops: Lioness sounds like an SNL bit.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/madisongracie_/status/1683260672719847424

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1683193352672428036?t=cq1ART4bOIA2nSghwe52Kw&s=19

They are selling an empty box containing no physical media and people will buy it

…why?

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!

why wouldnt they

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/isaiddonttouch/status/1683375137867931648?s=20

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

https://twitter.com/philspencerz/status/1683495203737419779

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Frosted Flake posted:

AV Club had an angry review that conceded that the film was good but insisted that actually drug dealers, pimps and prostitutes are not holding African American communities back but are a charming part of the community.

It was real weird.

what's weird about that, cracker

e: oh i see we already got into it

ram dass in hell has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Jul 24, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

As the American Turkish Association of Washington D.C. board of directors, we would like to express our sincere gratitude to the Walt Disney Company for the upcoming mini-series "Atatürk," scheduled to be screened on Disney+ on October 29th of this year. We are excited to commemorate the 100th anniversary of our secular Republic by focusing on Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the "Father of Turks."

ATA-DC is the oldest and largest Turkish American association in the United States, and our annual festival, which routinely receives accolades as the best cultural festival in Washington D.C., will likewise have Atatürk and the centennial of the founding of the Republic of Turkiye as our core themes this year.

Atatürk's vision for art and culture in the 1930s Turkiye aimed to create a modern, secular, and forward-looking society. He emphasized adopting Western cultural and artistic values as part of this vision. He believed art should be liberated from traditional constraints and reflect contemporary life. This influence had an enormous impact here in Washington D.C. as Ahmet Ertegün and Nesuhi Ertegün, founders of Atlantic Records and sons of Turkiye's Ambassador to the United States in 1935, supported the local Jazz and Blues scene. African American artists were welcome to enter through the front door and perform to an integrated audience at the Turkish Embassy for years before being allowed to do so in any local venue in the District.

Turkish cinema and television have seen significant growth and international recognition in recent years, with several Turkish filmmakers and actors achieving success on the global stage. Many Turkish actors, actresses, and directors have received critical acclaim and international awards, including Haluk Bilginer as best actor for Winter Sleep, Merve Dizdar as best actress for About Dry Grasses, and Ahmet Nuri Bilge as Palme d'Or for Winter Sleep and About Dry Grasses at the Cannes Film Festival and Fatih Akin for Head On and Semih Kaplanoglu for Honey as best directors at the Berlin Film Festivals. These are just a few examples.

We believe this new mini-series, Atatürk, will join the growing list of Turkish cinematic successes.

In closing, we would like to thank you and the Walt Disney Company again for supporting this mini-series about one of the most impactful leaders of the 20th century. As Turks and all those around the world who embrace democracy celebrate this centennial milestone for the Republic of Turkiye, having this mini-series released by Disney that reflects on the man who led the transformation of an 800-year-old dynasty to an open, secular republic is an outstanding capstone for October 29th, the day when the Turkish Republic was formed. Thank you for letting me tell you a bit more about Atatürk's impact on his country and worldwide, including here in the United States.

ATA-DC Board of Directors

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol hell yeah

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1683193352672428036?t=cq1ART4bOIA2nSghwe52Kw&s=19

They are selling an empty box containing no physical media and people will buy it

Apparently this isn't an official Disney release, it's being released by Manta Lab a company from Hong Kong. I guess it's just a collectible item that comes with postcards and other crap.

e: lol it's $90.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
People are 100% going to buy that thinking that there is a blu ray in there.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mcmagic posted:

People are 100% going to buy that thinking that there is a blu ray in there.
good

the pay pigs should pay

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

indigi posted:

yeah the scene fuckin ruled they just could of done a bit of narrative cleanup since the highly trained astronaut/physicist would immediately realize the implications so you gotta give them a reason to check it out despite that.

I read Kip Thorne's book Black Holes & Time Warps as a nerdy little 8th grader and the thought experiments in that continue to blow my mind

I met Kip Thorne at a talk at my community college and it’s one of my favorite things that happened in college, it was better than 4 year I transferred to.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The reason why for the first part of the sentence is "because people will buy it"

The reason why for the second part, I'm guessing, is they wanna have something on display on their shelves so visitors know what good little paypigs big fans they are, but they have no use for the actual discs because they fully plan on taking their Disney+ subscriptions to and into the grave, so an Officially Licensed Empty Box is all they need

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I thought Barbie was okay, there were some funny parts (Kens) and some annoying parts (boring speeches). Would rather have watched it at home.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think it just made me appreciate Matchbox 20 more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAkHqYlqops

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

This week, auto nepo baby, Dale Earnhardt Jr., picked a fight with the children’s cartoon Bluey. And look, as someone who has a seven-year-long beef with Paw Patrol, I understand the inclination to get irritated at kid’s shows. After all, the pants situation on most of those characters is chaotic at best. And why is it so often that a kid of indeterminate age with a pack of wild animals has to run entire cities? What kind of chaotic system of governance is this? Don’t even get me started on Curious George, where a monkey, who was literally enslaved and is now owned by a yellow-hat-wearing-trust-fund-baby, is allowed to destroy priceless historical finds, and roams the city with no supervision. Gnocchi the cat is good though. Because he taught entire generations of kids (and parents) how to pronounce gnocchi.

But that’s not Dale Jr.’s beef with Bluey. He has no systemic problems with the pants or city governance on the show. Junior’s problem is that the dad on Bluey is involved in his kids’ lives. Junior is irked that a cartoon character father actually likes spending time with his kids. Here is what he said:

quote:

"But we watch ‘Bluey’ and the kids are like, ‘Come on, Dad, do this. Come on, Dad, pretend this.’ So every episode, my kids watch ‘Bluey’ and see the dad is like the kids’ best friend. Always available. Always there. Anytime they want the dad to get in on the fun or to play, he’s never too busy," he said.

"He’s never got to go to work. He’s never got this thing he’s got to do or he’s never mowing the lawn and whatever, right? It’s always, ‘Yep, you got it. I’m gonna do what the kids want me to do and pretend with them.’ So my girls, mainly Isla (who just turned 5), they have the same expectation of me."

First of all, the dad on Bluey, has a name and it’s Bandit. And for those of you who don’t know, Bandit is an archeologist and he goes to work, pitches in with household chores, and plays with his kids.

And they have very imaginative games. But like, are you listening to yourself, Junior? You are mad that a kid’s show portrays a father as a good man?

In an article on Fatherly.com, a writer, who is a father complains that Bandit has to give up playing rugby to have time for his family. This man writes with absolutely no sense of gendered irony:

quote:

The implication is that Bandit — and by extension, all of us parents watching — know that we have to give up the things we personally enjoy to make space for our children and to support our partners. This is true in some ways, but it’s perhaps dangerous and irresponsible to give weight to the idea that becoming a parent means you have to say goodbye to your old life and your old personality.

*Me taking a drag of my cigarette* Yeah, dudes, sure would suck to have society expect that you literally toss your body onto a pyre of home and family to be a good parent. Absolutely a crying shame if all the media and cultural depictions of your specific parental role, showed you as giving up everything for your children and if you held onto one thing that interfered with that time you were called “selfish” and accused of harming your children.

Let’s just check in with the statistics and facts here to see which parent is expected to do all this giving up and work…ope. Hold on.

Let’s see…

quote:

In breadwinner mother/at-home father couples, differences in housework time depend on whether breadwinner mothers are at work on a given day. On their days off, breadwinner mothers do more housework than at-home fathers, spending as much time doing housework as at-home mothers. By contrast, at-home mothers appear to do more housework daily whether breadwinner fathers are at work or not.

And another…

quote:

This burden is on top of longstanding divides in who does care work inside the home: 2021 data from the American Time Use Survey indicates that mothers of children under age six spend an average of 2.8 hours per day on childcare, over 70 percent more time than fathers report.

And another…

quote:

Married working mothers of children younger than 18 often struggle with work-life balance and feeling like there aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish all that they must at work and at home. Majorities of them say they are still primarily doing most of the household chores that were "women's work" in the age when mothers didn't work outside the home.

Huh.

quote:

For parents with children under 13, women spent at least twice the amount of time than men did juggling both childcare and household activities, as well as childcare and personal care-related activities.

I realize these statistics don’t reflect the world of Bluey but wow, do they reflect the actual reality that Dale Jr. is living in.

I spent many years writing a mom blog and writing for parenting websites. And there is a tendency in those spaces to use the term “parents” instead of “mother” or “father”, and this is good. Gender-neutral language is inclusive and there are many ways to be a parent that exist outside of the binary. And yet, we cannot ignore the way that the work of parenting is still largely gendered. And often, I think language like that gives cit het men a way of shirking responsibility. “Look at the pressure put on parents!” They say. When the reality is, my men, the pressure is on mothers.

And you’d be better off acknowledging this reality.

Listen, the entire weight of our culture demands that mothers give up everything to manage chores, children, and work. The data bears this out. And the ONE TIME, the literal ONLY TIME, a kids’ show positively depicts a dad making time to play imagination games with his kids, you suddenly have a problem with society’s “expectations on parents.” Absolutely grow up. Turnabout is fair play, my men.

Also, this is a positive role model of what a father can be. It’s a show showing a father as something besides being a beer-drinking, curmudgeonly, and lightly absent screw-up! That seems great!

Anyway, women don’t even have equal pay, and here you are whining because a cartoon dad enjoys spending time with his kids. Grow up.

Dale Jr., sir, just hire a lawn service and play Barbies with your girls, it’s not that hard.

As a mother, even when I was married I did 80 percent of the yard work (the other 20 being mowing) and 90 percent of the childcare. Even then, I found time to do yard work because I simply bought my kids tiny rakes and shovels and had them help. Like, my man, you can’t show your kids how to water the flowers?

But it’s actually not about being too busy to spend time with your kids, it’s actually about not wanting to spend time with your kids. Which, is actually fine, it’s okay to want a break. Do you know what I do when I tell my kids I want a break? I say, this has been so fun, but I need a bit of a break. It’s not complicated. But do not blame Bluey because you want to hop on your riding mower and avoid your kids all day or take a 45-minute poop in the bathroom.

Anyway, here is Ryan Gosling talking about how his daughters play with Barbie.

quote:

“They don’t even call him Ken. One of them is named Darrell. And Darrell works at a grocery store,” Gosling said.

As for Barbie, Amada and Esmeralda decided to name her “Gym Class.”

“And Gym Class met Darrell at the grocery store, but Gym Class, she’s focusing on herself right now,” the proud dad explained.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
kpop horny grind track beating out the lynching anthem at the moment

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1683543006060892161

(it's really good btw especially if you like the old 2step/garage beats)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU9c0053UAU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i didn't read this but i wanted to say bluey owns and so does bandit

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

You could certainly make a statement that the parents in Bluey are only able to be so great because their life is easy (their house is huge!!!) but Dale Earnhardt Jr is certainly not the person to be making that statement and the one he did make was the dictionary definition of "telling on yourself"

anyway, this part

Some Guy TT posted:

or take a 45-minute poop in the bathroom.

seems oddly specific :raise:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

(I can also add that I have never seen a single episode of Bluey where Bandit has to go to work, but, again, Dale Jr)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Some Guy TT posted:

This week, auto nepo baby, Dale Earnhardt Jr., picked a fight with the children’s cartoon Bluey. And look, as someone who has a seven-year-long beef with Paw Patrol, I understand the inclination to get irritated at kid’s shows. After all, the pants situation on most of those characters is chaotic at best. And why is it so often that a kid of indeterminate age with a pack of wild animals has to run entire cities? What kind of chaotic system of governance is this? Don’t even get me started on Curious George, where a monkey, who was literally enslaved and is now owned by a yellow-hat-wearing-trust-fund-baby, is allowed to destroy priceless historical finds, and roams the city with no supervision. Gnocchi the cat is good though. Because he taught entire generations of kids (and parents) how to pronounce gnocchi.

But that’s not Dale Jr.’s beef with Bluey. He has no systemic problems with the pants or city governance on the show. Junior’s problem is that the dad on Bluey is involved in his kids’ lives. Junior is irked that a cartoon character father actually likes spending time with his kids. Here is what he said:

First of all, the dad on Bluey, has a name and it’s Bandit. And for those of you who don’t know, Bandit is an archeologist and he goes to work, pitches in with household chores, and plays with his kids.

And they have very imaginative games. But like, are you listening to yourself, Junior? You are mad that a kid’s show portrays a father as a good man?

In an article on Fatherly.com, a writer, who is a father complains that Bandit has to give up playing rugby to have time for his family. This man writes with absolutely no sense of gendered irony:

*Me taking a drag of my cigarette* Yeah, dudes, sure would suck to have society expect that you literally toss your body onto a pyre of home and family to be a good parent. Absolutely a crying shame if all the media and cultural depictions of your specific parental role, showed you as giving up everything for your children and if you held onto one thing that interfered with that time you were called “selfish” and accused of harming your children.

Let’s just check in with the statistics and facts here to see which parent is expected to do all this giving up and work…ope. Hold on.

Let’s see…

And another…

And another…

Huh.

I realize these statistics don’t reflect the world of Bluey but wow, do they reflect the actual reality that Dale Jr. is living in.

I spent many years writing a mom blog and writing for parenting websites. And there is a tendency in those spaces to use the term “parents” instead of “mother” or “father”, and this is good. Gender-neutral language is inclusive and there are many ways to be a parent that exist outside of the binary. And yet, we cannot ignore the way that the work of parenting is still largely gendered. And often, I think language like that gives cit het men a way of shirking responsibility. “Look at the pressure put on parents!” They say. When the reality is, my men, the pressure is on mothers.

And you’d be better off acknowledging this reality.

Listen, the entire weight of our culture demands that mothers give up everything to manage chores, children, and work. The data bears this out. And the ONE TIME, the literal ONLY TIME, a kids’ show positively depicts a dad making time to play imagination games with his kids, you suddenly have a problem with society’s “expectations on parents.” Absolutely grow up. Turnabout is fair play, my men.

Also, this is a positive role model of what a father can be. It’s a show showing a father as something besides being a beer-drinking, curmudgeonly, and lightly absent screw-up! That seems great!

Anyway, women don’t even have equal pay, and here you are whining because a cartoon dad enjoys spending time with his kids. Grow up.

Dale Jr., sir, just hire a lawn service and play Barbies with your girls, it’s not that hard.

As a mother, even when I was married I did 80 percent of the yard work (the other 20 being mowing) and 90 percent of the childcare. Even then, I found time to do yard work because I simply bought my kids tiny rakes and shovels and had them help. Like, my man, you can’t show your kids how to water the flowers?

But it’s actually not about being too busy to spend time with your kids, it’s actually about not wanting to spend time with your kids. Which, is actually fine, it’s okay to want a break. Do you know what I do when I tell my kids I want a break? I say, this has been so fun, but I need a bit of a break. It’s not complicated. But do not blame Bluey because you want to hop on your riding mower and avoid your kids all day or take a 45-minute poop in the bathroom.

Anyway, here is Ryan Gosling talking about how his daughters play with Barbie.

At least this chud is airing his daddy issues publically rather than his mommy issues for a change.

I see you're uncomfortable with a father figure that is there for his children and view it as a burden, tell me Dale, how was your father when you were growing up. Did he have a passion for something that caused him to neglect his family?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Where Dale Earnhardt Jr. goes, so too does the world

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Barbies good y'all. Margot Robbie gets called white savior Barbie at some point and it got a genuine laugh out of me

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

seems oddly specific :raise:

pooping is like orgasming women can do it longer than men can

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nobody beats my thick ropes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

taking the tack that Barbie is American so Margot Robbie is doing cultural appropriation

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I thought Barbie was way too on the nose toward the end when the characters started monologuing and explaining all of the movie's metaphors, but I'm seeing a lot of praise online for how those monologues were powerful, so I guess people can still appreciate terrible delivery if they like what it's saying.

I do a lot of entertainment & media focus group type testing for my job and you're vastly overestimating peoples ability to comprehend media. If your message is not spelled out it's gonna go over their heads 9 times out of 10.

People really just shut their brains off when they watch videos on screens--and for something like barbie people arent going in expecting much theoretical discourse.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

pooping is like orgasming women can do it longer than men can

I think every time someone writes one of these thinkpieces where the biggest underlying assumption is that men don't work and are lazy they bring up pooping for a long time. My hot take is that if people need to poop you should let them poop.

(lol at including "in the bathroom", like, where else should he be doing it)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anyway the parts of that article about Dale Jr were good because he was being awful but the parts of it based around taking down those loving pigs at fatherly dot com were dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I could be doing a lot less