Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The meta stuff about the revival and actual plot felt pretty rough. Along with a little too much "Remember this guy! And these guys!" but the individual jokes got a few good laughs. Not a bad start and better than I expected.

All the exposition kind of stuff annoys me in any media. I know why they have to do it, but it always feels unnatural to me.

Overall I'd say I liked it.

Not sure if the espresso machine in the intro was supposed to be a Space Balls reference, but I appreciated it either way.

Decided to pause and screen grab all the shows on TV:

I feel like most of these are pretty good :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Channel 219 is airing Strange New Worlds!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I did find a lot of the one liner jokes to be at least somewhat amusing.

But Animaniacs did the whole Hulu rebooting an old TV show for no reason jokes better...

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
Some pretty good jokes in there (like the stand-up scene) but dedicating an entire episode to a not all that funny streaming parody doesn't fill me with super high hopes.

Billy West's Fry is getting close to sounding like Farnsworth. His performances are still great though.

Oh and in the end credits John Dimaggio is listed first now. Must have been a concession they gave so he'd return.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was.... fine. Some jokes landed, some jokes whiffed, a couple were overdone or made me think how the original run of the show would have handled it (Bender would have probably chimed in with,"I will!" immediately after Fry told him to keep laughing, rather than remarking on it 30 seconds later) but it was entirely watchable.

Never thought I'd say this and I guess in one sense it's a reverse of how I felt after season 4... I'm not sure why we need new Futurama. When it was first canceled it went out strong but felt like it was cut short of its prime. The movies were enjoyable and ended well. The reboot was a mixed bag but ended extraordinarily strongly and with a real sense of closure, optimism and hope with the suggestion that they just kept on going but that it was fine if that was the last we ever saw of it. Everything felt properly and satisfactorily wrapped up, and this current reboot just feels kind of... unnecessary?

I guess when it boils down to it, you can say that about any show though :shrug:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's pretty good, I'm fine with it, do whatever. I don't think there's any other show that's currently offering what Futurama does. Rick & Morty is the closest but the vibes are pretty rancid at this point.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

That was.... fine. Some jokes landed, some jokes whiffed, a couple were overdone or made me think how the original run of the show would have handled it (Bender would have probably chimed in with,"I will!" immediately after Fry told him to keep laughing, rather than remarking on it 30 seconds later) but it was entirely watchable.

Never thought I'd say this and I guess in one sense it's a reverse of how I felt after season 4... I'm not sure why we need new Futurama. When it was first canceled it went out strong but felt like it was cut short of its prime. The movies were enjoyable and ended well. The reboot was a mixed bag but ended extraordinarily strongly and with a real sense of closure, optimism and hope with the suggestion that they just kept on going but that it was fine if that was the last we ever saw of it. Everything felt properly and satisfactorily wrapped up, and this current reboot just feels kind of... unnecessary?

I guess when it boils down to it, you can say that about any show though :shrug:

I guess it ultimately boils down to, "Does Groening have more stories he wants to tell and pitched the show to some networks, or did Hulu decide to offer the team a sack of sufficiently large dollars"?

edit;

Hakkesshu posted:

It's pretty good, I'm fine with it, do whatever. I don't think there's any other show that's currently offering what Futurama does. Rick & Morty is the closest but the vibes are pretty rancid at this point.

I've been bored lately and just getting caught up on R&M actually, last year's season feels like a bit of a "reverse course" with Rick trying to be not lovely. I haven't finished the season yet, but I've been fairly surprised.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 24, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The last episode of the last revival was perfect and really, REALLY did not need any followup. How dumb

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The last episode of the last revival was perfect and really, REALLY did not need any followup. How dumb

I feel bad for Ken Keeler, who has had to write 4 series finales for this show and crushed it on 3 of them. Now he's gonna have to do it again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PostNouveau posted:

I feel bad for Ken Keeler, who has had to write 4 series finales for this show and crushed it on 3 of them. Now he's gonna have to do it again.

Wait, what's the fourth one? Assuming the first three are Hands, the fourth movie and Meanwhile.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

I thought that decent, like a 7/10. Better than at least half of the comedy central episodes.
Voices are definitely sounding rough and everything seems a bit lethargic, but honestly makes me hopeful for the rest of the reboot.
The bit at the very end was dumb and bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TwoDayLife posted:

I thought that decent, like a 7/10. Better than at least half of the comedy central episodes.
Voices are definitely sounding rough and everything seems a bit lethargic, but honestly makes me hopeful for the rest of the reboot.
The bit at the very end was dumb and bad.

Pretty much this. Better than I thought it'd be, got some laughs out of it, which is more than I got from Disenchantment lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

Wait, what's the fourth one? Assuming the first three are Hands, the fourth movie and Meanwhile.

Overclockwise, which was a meh episode where Hubert overclocks Bender and he becomes an all-knowing supercomputer. Before everything reverts to normal, he reveals he's used his superpowers to perfectly predict the future and wrote down what happens to Fry and Leela. The last scene is them reading his book, but the audience doesn't get to see anything, just their reactions to it.

I believe it was one of those "our episode order is up and we don't know if we're getting renewed" things, so they had to hastily attempt some closure in a random episode. In the other 3, they knew they were cancelled and had time to work on it.

Also they aired an anthology episode after this one, so I guess it wouldn't have technically been the series finale if they'd gotten cancelled.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 24, 2023

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.
That was... about what I expected.

Writing/performance wise, I'd say on a par with the previous season, though definitely agree that Billy West is sounding a bit older.

The animation seems to have suffered from either budget cuts or time constraints - a lot of static backgrounds and characters frozen motionless until it's their time to speak. And Bender seemed a bit off-model at times, particularly in the first 5 minutes or so.

Overall I would rate it a C+, OK, not great. But IMDB has it at 8.0, so maybe I'm being a bit harsh.

My absolute favorite joke in the episode: "J, Philip I. Fry"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

1 posted:

That was really good - usually I hate "Fry says something impossibly dumb" things but that felt extra silly/clever. I think the Impassable Burger was my favorite.

Great name for a restaurant, like, "you can't just drive by / pass by, you gotta stop".
It's also Impassable because they crashed into it.
And obviously it's just a pun on Impossible Burger.

Also extra wrinkly Professor / wrinkle-free Professor were both awesome and the worst way.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hakkesshu posted:

Rich and Morty just always felt like a much more mean spirited version of this show to me. Got old quick.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

1 posted:

It reminded me of the scene in A Big Piece of Garbage where Fry goes to press the huge red button, and completely misses it.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

All the exposition kind of stuff annoys me in any media. I know why they have to do it, but it always feels unnatural to me.

Overall I'd say I liked it.

Not sure if the espresso machine in the intro was supposed to be a Space Balls reference, but I appreciated it either way.

Decided to pause and screen grab all the shows on TV:

I feel like most of these are pretty good :v:

Even Toei can't drag the Mets to feature length:mets:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Also they aired an anthology episode after this one, so I guess it wouldn't have technically been the series finale if they'd gotten cancelled.

That was one of my favorite anthology episodes, too. At least the first and third parts with the 1920s and anime styles, the middle 8-bit part with Stephen Hawking was a good example of Futurama trying too hard.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Sab669 posted:

That was really good - usually I hate "Fry says something impossibly dumb" things but that felt extra silly/clever. I think the Impassable Burger was my favorite.

Great name for a restaurant, like, "you can't just drive by / pass by, you gotta stop".
It's also Impassable because they crashed into it.
And obviously it's just a pun on Impossible Burger.

I thought it was also a poop joke.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 24, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It also works on that level too, ouch.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I'm glad we get the full intro again.

Next time they get cancelled and renewed, I hope they realize they can skip the meta episode about returning and get straight to more interesting plots, if they have any in mind.

At least one thing about this episode felt timely, X = suicide

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I enjoyed it enough, it worked fine for a first episode back. I think it’s funny they obviously assumed the entire season would drop at once then Hulu scheduled it for weekly though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't think Hulu drops full seasons for any of their shows, do they? I'm pretty sure they've always done one episode per week.

Binge responsibly :hai:

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Pretty comparable for the first revive. Couple good jokes, no real complaints. If this is the midline, whatever fine, if this is the low mark, good great, if this is the high mark, uh oh.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Sab669 posted:

I don't think Hulu drops full seasons for any of their shows, do they? I'm pretty sure they've always done one episode per week.

Binge responsibly :hai:

They do for some of them, such as Solar Opposites and The Great. I believe season 2 of The Bear also got a full episode release.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Got'chya; I so rarely watch new TV shows so I wasn't certain.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That was all right. Not great, but pretty good. But again, why did we need more Futurama for the third or fourth time as we close in on its 25 year anniversary?

I did get a good laugh from the Scary Mirror intro, though. "That one with the phone call from the Devil? Now it's a Facetime call with the Devil. The devil part... didn't change."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't articulate what it is about the post-movie revival episodes that puts me off. The kindest thing I can say about this first episode is that I don't think it dropped in quality from what I remember the last few seasons being, when I made myself sit through a few episodes.

It's a nice try, and I'm sure this is for /someone/, but sadly it's not me. I hope people do enjoy it though :)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Even Toei can't drag the Mets to feature length:mets:

I'd assume after the series vs Gamera (and Keith's meltdown) that their $400 trillion roster would perform better but :mets: gonna :mets:

The episode was fine for me, might be a bit too inside baseball in some spots but it could've been a lot worse (Proposition Infinity anyone?)

Of course it was always going to reset the Fry/Leela angle. They've done that each revival.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Last time this came up in the Futurama thread I felt like the point stood that even A Leela of Her Own, possibly one of the worst episodes and one people generally agree on, still had a good Bender quote that gets repeated a lot and the Hank Aaron Jr. stuff that was okay. It didn't seem like they had any truly dreadful ones until the reboots even if some were just mediocre.

The Hank Aaron Jr. stuff was mostly all good....but otherwise a pretty forgettable episode.

On the upside.....I was pleasantly surprised by the first new episode. Like that as they scrolled the TV Guide they threw in a TCU Hypnotoads football game. The Scary Mirror opening was really funny. Robot comedian was a good joke. Several of the gags worked well....and none of them made me roll my eyes. Bender had some really funny lines. I am way more optimistic than I was before watching the episode. Seemed like the CC reboot quickly devolved into stupid jokes and blue humor. Seems to me that the writers at least on this first episode showed some restraint that we didn't get with a good amount of the CC run.....and what caused me to lose interest there. But the writing felt pretty sharp to me on this first one. Definitely a good sign.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Phenotype posted:

That was all right. Not great, but pretty good. But again, why did we need more Futurama for the third or fourth time as we close in on its 25 year anniversary?

I did get a good laugh from the Scary Mirror intro, though. "That one with the phone call from the Devil? Now it's a Facetime call with the Devil. The devil part... didn't change."

Was there actually a Twilight Zone (or whatever) episode about a phone call with the Devil?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The beginning of the episode with rapid fire jokes was really good for me. The rest of the episode was meh. Maybe they should just do Futurama youtube shorts?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One joke I did really enjoy was when Amy suggests that maybe Leela should try dating somebody else and mentions,"Kif has a friend, his name's Zapp...."

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I liked it! Not the best episode by any means but it also didn't feel "off" in the way the worst episodes do (I'm looking at you, Susan Boil). Pacing's good, there's a new joke every second.

I liked "the writing and the executive producing went way downhill those last few episodes." And the Milwaukee Shakespeare Festival gag.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it was fine. It wasn't the best Futurama episode but it also wasn't the worst which is pretty good for a show coming back after being canned for 10 years. Some of the voices definitely sounded a little off, like the Robot Devil.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Island Nation posted:

Of course it was always going to reset the Fry/Leela angle. They've done that each revival.

They shouldn't do, though. I don't get why they can't just write them in a relationship?

I was surprised to see it actually is on Disney+ here, feels like we've had no advertising or anything that's back. All the internet stuff I've seen has just mentioned Hulu. I mean it makes sense it's on Disney+ I'm just saying it's surprising it's not been very advertised.

muscles like this! posted:

I thought it was fine. It wasn't the best Futurama episode but it also wasn't the worst which is pretty good for a show coming back after being canned for 10 years. Some of the voices definitely sounded a little off, like the Robot Devil.

I guess poor ol' Dan's nearly 70 now

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Billy West is 71 :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Robot Devil aside, I thought the only voice that sounded off was Hermes. It almost sounded like Phil did him in falsetto.

I mean I'll go so far as to say that I was shocked how on-point everyone else was. After all this time off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I will say that even if it’s not the best, it definitely wasn’t the worst Futurama episode by any stretch.