Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Gatiss fell off so hard after that, it's so disappointing. Unquiet Dead is one of my early favorites too, a great nod to the Holmes era's horror-esque serials, tight script, no annoying elements, I wish more eps had been like that throughout.

Eh, the bad read of Unquiet Dead is don’t trust people claiming asylum, they’re actually up to no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Khanstant posted:

"the annoying mummy 2 parter."

WHAT

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Gatiss is an annoying dude, but I feel like his Who scripts are more or less all kind of similar qualitatively, except for the dumb found footage one which is genuinely one of the worst episodes of modern Who.

I think the found footage one is actually pretty good, and where it fails to be good, it at least manages interesting, which means it ranks above the entire Chibnall era. Really, Gatiss' arc is one of pretty constant improvement, to the point where his stories for 11 and 12 are actually pretty good. The Crimson Horror and the Robin Hood episode both lean into his strengths in a really nice way.

Speaking of which, he (and fellow sort of DW alum Indira Varma) show up together for about 45 seconds in the new Mission Impossible.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I wanna say this is probably about the Monks and not the Mummy on the Orient Express given that's not a 2-parter, but who knows.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Rosa was disappointing because Malorie Blackman writing Doctor Who should have been great, but it was so clunky and mawkish. If they wanted to do a racism episode, it should have been the Bristol Bus Boycott, an important part of modern British history that doesn't get talked about.

Whittaker's run is so frustrating, because you can tell she's giving it her all, but the writing is tying one hand behind her back. I don't think we ever really see her show disgust, or the odd ruthless action, which is an important emotion for the character. The only one I can think of is when she snaps at Yaz for being too over familiar and asking about the Time Lords and the Doctor's history.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I wanna say this is probably about the Monks and not the Mummy on the Orient Express given that's not a 2-parter, but who knows.

It is amusing that there's at least three episodes this can apply to, but they mentioned watching Series 1 so it's likely the gas mask children one so I repeat: WHAT

The_Doctor posted:

Eh, the bad read of Unquiet Dead is don’t trust people claiming asylum, they’re actually up to no good.

As much of a johnny-come-lately Lawrence Miles fan as I am, I'm not going to hold what is an entirely valid reading of an episode against a writer who clearly didn't intend the message. I think it's more that Gatiss was writing from a position of (relative) privilege and didn't bother to think things through.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

OldMemes posted:

Rosa was disappointing because Malorie Blackman writing Doctor Who should have been great, but it was so clunky and mawkish. If they wanted to do a racism episode, it should have been the Bristol Bus Boycott, an important part of modern British history that doesn't get talked about.

Whittaker's run is so frustrating, because you can tell she's giving it her all, but the writing is tying one hand behind her back. I don't think we ever really see her show disgust, or the odd ruthless action, which is an important emotion for the character. The only one I can think of is when she snaps at Yaz for being too over familiar and asking about the Time Lords and the Doctor's history.

The standout part of Rosa is that the threat is just "a racist guy". It's great how they set it all up and oh, the antagonist is just a future space Nazi, there's nothing special about him, he's got no agenda beyond racism.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fil5000 posted:

The standout part of Rosa is that the threat is just "a racist guy". It's great how they set it all up and oh, the antagonist is just a future space Nazi, there's nothing special about him, he's got no agenda beyond racism.

It also really undercuts the libbish "naming an asteroid after Rosa Parks ended racism forever" message because clearly, no it didn't, this guy's from the future and he sucks!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rochallor posted:

It also really undercuts the libbish "naming an asteroid after Rosa Parks ended racism forever" message because clearly, no it didn't, this guy's from the future and he sucks!

Yeah, for all the mawkishness that the episode devolves into (and SOME of it is earned because goddamn it Bradley Walsh sells it), the underlying message is "this event was significant but it did not delete racism from the universe and we still need to deal with it".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rochallor posted:

It is amusing that there's at least three episodes this can apply to, but they mentioned watching Series 1 so it's likely the gas mask children one so I repeat: WHAT

"the empty child" and "the doctor dances" yeah. I love mummy on orient express. I have almost watched the two movies with similar titles just because of it lol.

I just cannot stand the repeated "mummy" every 2 seconds. Jack is fun and the eventual resolution to the mask kids is interesting, just not a ride I wanted to get on for the sound of it. So it's not a skip because it's a bad story or anything like that.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Mummy on the Orient Express is so good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Autisanal Cheese posted:

That moment when he puts the gun to his head and his theme song kicks in is like purestrain Doctor Who and I'll be chasing that high for a long, long time.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
If you're looking for something Doctor Who-y to tide you over, the whole of RTD's Dark Season is on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXAlMUmpUiU

If you've not seen it, it's Doctor Who, but with a 13-year-old schoolgirl as The Doctor.

(Let me know if YT links like this are frowned upon)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
And one of the companions was Kate Winselt

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It's good, if clunky. I love that the BBC let him make this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Arfer?

Good name for a horse.

No, you're not keepin' the horse.

I let you keep Mickey, now go go go!

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

It's good, if clunky. I love that the BBC let him make this.

They got the budget of a more expensive show, Maid Marian And Her Merry Men, because the creator of that show made took a year-off to do a Bible show instead.

I believe there was a time-factor involved as well, any other year it wouldn't have got made.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

BooDooBoo posted:

They got the budget of a more expensive show, Maid Marian And Her Merry Men, because the creator of that show made took a year-off to do a Bible show instead.

I believe there was a time-factor involved as well, any other year it wouldn't have got made.

Wait we got that show because Tony Robinson went to walk around desert locales retelling bible stories? Blood and Honey is indirectly responsible for the 2005 reboot? That's amazing. I remember that show being on on Saturday or Sunday mornings and I watched it because I was a kid and the funny Blackadder man was on telly.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BooDooBoo posted:

If you're looking for something Doctor Who-y to tide you over, the whole of RTD's Dark Season is on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXAlMUmpUiU

If you've not seen it, it's Doctor Who, but with a 13-year-old schoolgirl as The Doctor.

(Let me know if YT links like this are frowned upon)

DoctorWhat posted:

And one of the companions was Kate Winselt

And Big Finish just released a sequel! With Kate Winslet!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/dark-season-legacy-rising-2772

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Wait we got that show because Tony Robinson went to walk around desert locales retelling bible stories? Blood and Honey is indirectly responsible for the 2005 reboot? That's amazing. I remember that show being on on Saturday or Sunday mornings and I watched it because I was a kid and the funny Blackadder man was on telly.

Yep, that's exactly right.

It was a good show, he's a good storyteller.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Roger Lloyd Pack kills his role in Rose of the Cybermen. Every word filled with commanding unhinged evil ham. Also very satisfying when finally obviously gets hoisted by his own cyber petard. "Then. breathe. No. More." Lmao

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Khanstant posted:

Roger Lloyd Pack kills his role in Rose of the Cybermen. Every word filled with commanding unhinged evil ham. Also very satisfying when finally obviously gets hoisted by his own cyber petard. "Then. breathe. No. More." Lmao

FROM THE GRAAAAVE

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

BooDooBoo posted:

It's Pancake Day!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Autisanal Cheese posted:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So it took for-gently caressing-ever, but I finally caught up on the series.

The new Doctor looks interesting. What can you all tell me about this David Tennant fellow?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CobiWann posted:

So it took for-gently caressing-ever, but I finally caught up on the series.

The new Doctor looks interesting. What can you all tell me about this David Tennant fellow?

He did a good job with Good Omens, but he's not nearly as famous as his son, Ty Tennant, let's be honest.

EDIT: I'm learning now that he married the daughter of the 5th Doctor? Sounds to me like he got the role through nepotism.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tenants Doctor is more Doctors than average

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Several times over.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

He did a good job with Good Omens, but he's not nearly as famous as his son, Ty Tennant, let's be honest.

EDIT: I'm learning now that he married the daughter of the 5th Doctor? Sounds to me like he got the role through nepotism.

I know this is sacrelige at this point but I really think Peter Serafinowicz did a better Crowley.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
An Idiot's Lantern, just starting it and I already hope this bad dad gets got by this episode's TV lady villain. Can't remember what happens to him but he's tripping over my "backtalk stupid dad" wires

edit: okay Doctor and Rose are on his rear end immediately. Good. and I just noticed the Doctor's greaser hair for this episode lol.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 26, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It was really considerate of the Absorbagriff in Love and Monsters to absorb Ursula with her glasses so she can still see.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Khanstant posted:

It was really considerate of the Absorbagriff in Love and Monsters to absorb Ursula with her glasses so she can still see.

please stop acknowledging that episode exists. we don't need that energy in 2023. we can just pretend it never happened

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
frankly, NuWho is due for some lost episodes and that one should be the first to go

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

That moment when he puts the gun to his head and his theme song kicks in is like purestrain Doctor Who and I'll be chasing that high for a long, long time.

"By the way, you weren’t being paranoid. She really did poison your pony. Oh, and your father. Sorry."

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

armpit_enjoyer posted:

frankly, NuWho is due for some lost episodes and that one should be the first to go

The only one that truly needs to go is the one where everybody on earth turns into the master.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell no, I love that if only for how much fun John Simm is having, and of course you know character-wise the Master did the entire thing ONLY so he could make that Master Race pun. :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Look, sometimes you need a Warriors of the Deep to remind you of the good in the show!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Warriors of the Deep

The Doctor barely starts to tip over a railing.
Tegan: Doctor look o-
Turlough: Give it up Tegan, he's clearly dead, it's time we move on with our lives!
Theme Sting plays

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor barely starts to tip over a railing.
Tegan: Doctor look o-
Turlough: Give it up Tegan, he's clearly dead, it's time we move on with our lives!
Theme Sting plays

In Mark's defense, it was a way to get that horrible serial done more quickly!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I haven't seen Warriors of the Deep yet, but from what I've heard, it could have been improved by:

1. Letting the monster costume dry after painting.
2. Turning the lights down so the set looks grim and industrial like the writer intended, not brightly lit.
3. Not letting Ingrid Pitt use karate on the Myrka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

3. Not letting Ingrid Pitt use karate on the Myrka.

And miss out on THIS masterpiece?

The finest ACT!ing since Fury from the Deep!