Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Russian occupation authorities close Crimean Bridge for traffic again

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/07/24/7412683/

So sad for moscow, they now have all those tourist cars clogging up the logistics lines. There was a 15km traffic jam on the road north into the Kherson region. Military supplies just could not get past it.

Keep those tourists coming.

Glory to Ukraine....

Its also a really odd situation; one would expect that Ukraine is the one who wants those tourists to mess with the Russian logistics but then again not, because that introduces unnecessary civilians to the war zone. But then on the other hand, Russia wants the tourists to go to Crimea and actively promotes such activity, but also wants them to not be there because it messes with their logistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HonorableTB posted:

Worst person you know just made a good point...heartbreaking...According to a newly declassified letter, Richard Nixon warned Bill Clinton about "highly explosive" tensions between Ukraine and Russia in the 90s: “If it is allowed to get out of control,” Nixon warned, “it will make Bosnia look like a PTA garden party.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ukraine-war-wouldnt-have-surprised-richard-nixon-clinton-putin-cold-war-2b83c050#comments_sector

It's paywalled unfortunately but the nixon quote is spot on

i've been running through futurama as my background noise show the last few weeks and i can practically hear the Head of Nixon spitting that out

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Its also a really odd situation; one would expect that Ukraine is the one who wants those tourists to mess with the Russian logistics but then again not, because that introduces unnecessary civilians to the war zone. But then on the other hand, Russia wants the tourists to go to Crimea and actively promotes such activity, but also wants them to not be there because it messes with their logistics.

russia stuck in the cycle of trying to maintain kayfabe to avoid disrupting the upper middle class muscovites and toppling over the jenga tower

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Tai posted:

WW4 has started lmao
OH MY GOD SOMEONE CALL WAYNE BELL

*gazes into crystal ball* ah, nobody will have even the slightest idea what this reference means

Well, I am excited anyway

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Stormshadow/SCALP has previously been exported to Egypt, Greece, Italy, India, Qatar, Saudi, and UAE. I wonder if more nations are now showing an interest in adding some to their arsenal given it's pretty clear "the second best military in the world" is seemingly powerless to stop them. I assume at the moment whatever manufacturing capacity there is focused on managing UK/French/Ukraine stocks, but after that I'm not sure who meets the three requirements of money, not having something equivalent already, and being politically acceptable.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

:stare:

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

SirJohanna posted:

I usually just lurk here, but I’d love to have that sweet gang tag too, please.

Same plz gang tag gods

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

I PMed sebmojo about spearheading it. I'll coordinate with him when he gets to it and we'll get the list posted. I'm thinking $5 or more for the gang tag.

If anyone wants to help speed things up, try and find the vetted charity list and post it here.

CommieGIR runs the show, or at least was the original poster, on the D&D so maybe that goon can help?

..And if this technically violates the Rule 2 and I get another sixer I want to mention that on my last probation I found it more insulting that the powers being in this thread thought that I am US goon when I have been talking about how things look in Finland for the entire duration of this, the previous, and the original thread. :D

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

zone posted:

https://zona.media/news/2023/07/24/alabuga

Hey little man how's it going?
Jesus Christ.

Child labor and terrible work conditions and racism? Sign me up!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

HonorableTB posted:

Worst person you know just made a good point...heartbreaking...According to a newly declassified letter, Richard Nixon warned Bill Clinton about "highly explosive" tensions between Ukraine and Russia in the 90s: “If it is allowed to get out of control,” Nixon warned, “it will make Bosnia look like a PTA garden party.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ukraine-war-wouldnt-have-surprised-richard-nixon-clinton-putin-cold-war-2b83c050#comments_sector

I don't know how much credit one should get for a warning when it's 20-30 years ahead of schedule.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

I don't know how much credit one should get for a warning when it's 20-30 years ahead of schedule.

Its Clinton era, so the Budapest Memorandum was just signed or being made, so it at least tracks to a warning that "if you sign this it means that we will actually need to honor this at some point in the future".

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

tiaz posted:

putting the UA flag/label on was a good idea, nice work! I was too lazy to separate out the wheels :)

I think it'd be great having it behind a donation. This is the right width but I'm not sure about getting it down to 64 vertical pixels. easy pass on the file size though.

Looks good, we can lose some width to get it to the right height. Can we see what that looks like?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

And fix the white pixel on the tiny Ukrainian flag.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

It's also not a big secret that Ukrainians have had a strong national identity for a long time and got to really loathing Russians and being part of the Soviet Union.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
I just got a pair of cotton socks from Ukraine :) .
The UA word for cotton is "bavovna"; Russians call it "khlopok" which they also use for a clapping or banging sound ...downplaying an explosion:
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1563547416648855552

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Warthog posted:

The UA word for cotton is "bavovna"; Russians call it "khlopok" which they also use for a clapping or banging sound ...downplaying an explosion:

Is this some sort of guncotton reference?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Toxic Mental posted:

Looks good, we can lose some width to get it to the right height. Can we see what that looks like?

cleaned it up a little after the resize but I really doubt I can get it much smaller than this.

McGavin posted:

done :)

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

HonorableTB posted:

Eh, aside from scope I'd still say Bosnia was at the very least a much nastier war. That had Rwanda style "taking out the no-no ethnicity to the bridge and cutting their throats and tossing them into the river" style poo poo going on, on a large scale.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Looks good tiaz, thanks for that. If we get approval from admins on the sizing for this I’ll do yours for free if you want.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

HonorableTB posted:

This handy little extension will eliminate the paywall for anyone interested.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doccers posted:

Suddenly all I can hear are 14.4kbps dialup noises and memories of my BBS days...
I think I ran wwiv for about a month before I switched to VBBS for multi-line support...

lol my username was Ray Tracey

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Awesome work tiaz!

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 24, 2023

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1683388340610138112

real sick poo poo

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Welcome to Ender's Game

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

And they still won't win. The end.

At this point its just further and further reeking of desperation for a victory that continues to slip from their grasp.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
bavovnyatko is real and is my friend

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Warthog posted:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

bavovnyatko is real and is my friend

:hmmyes:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Russia wasn't listening when they described the rules of Warcrime Bingo and are now attempting to fill out their entire card

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Warthog posted:

Ghost/Fire type, nice. Can't wait to see the stats and evolutions.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Maybe late but can I get a gangtag too? I'm ok with losing these coronavirus ones now lol

They are brilliant!

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
"I turned myself into a pickle, Морти! I'm a pickle! I'm Маринованный Ги́ркин!"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Are they valid targets now?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Lord Awkward posted:

"I turned myself into a pickle, Морти! I'm a pickle! I'm Маринованный Ги́ркин!"

lmao

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

This kind of poo poo was really common in the Soviet Union. It's not that Russia wants X or Y, it's that the whole edifice runs on commandments on above that are often so disjointed that actor A in Russia will try to achieve X while actor B will try to achieve Y, and everyone is trying their best to serve the orders they are under, while in reality the goals X and Y are mutually incompatible and trying them at the same time just makes both fail.

Command economies, not even once.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I have a mystery, thread! I work at a small museum currently hosting a traveling exhibit about water that includes a bit where people can leave written affirmations about taking care of water sources etc; someone left this one tucked up near the top. I'm pretty sure that's the old belarusian flag the opposition uses and I was curious what the cyrillic said- I know we have some russian/ eastern european goons itt so I figured this'd be the place to ask. If its not lovely it'll stay up even though i suspect it doesnt have anything to do with water lol.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

free hubcaps posted:

I have a mystery, thread! I work at a small museum currently hosting a traveling exhibit about water that includes a bit where people can leave written affirmations about taking care of water sources etc; someone left this one tucked up near the top. I'm pretty sure that's the old belarusian flag the opposition uses and I was curious what the cyrillic said- I know we have some russian/ eastern european goons itt so I figured this'd be the place to ask. If its not lovely it'll stay up even though i suspect it doesnt have anything to do with water lol.

Something along the lines of 'Thanks for the museum, very nice here'

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

free hubcaps posted:

Thanks to the museum!

Very nice to be here!

Maybe they didn't quite get the instructions lol.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Aw that's super sweet. Thanks for the translation! Way better than the AWAKE NOT WOKE one some rear end in a top hat left lol

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

McGavin posted:

A misplaced white pixel is an SA tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1683582879509405696#m
Now i've loving seen everything.