Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
I mean, you can always farm BP, go to lv60 in the battle pass and farm even more with crate with the MD2H. Didn't they added an option to pass all your reward in one go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
The pass is only 1 box per level if you don't shell out for the premium option. It's not a great rate, and I do wish it were easier for f2p players to get their foot in the door there.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

R Ishmael 4 is in fact pretty ridiculous, but does compete for a slot with swimsuit ishmael so follow your heart i guess

my personal recommended order (heathcliff apologems aside) is Faust Fluid Sac - R Ishmael - W Don - Don Telepole - ??????

e: if you want to put some thread into your one true love, w Meursault is very good at 4 and plays well in a charge team, but i'm willing to grapple with the possibility that R Meursault is better.

Part of me feels like if I ever seriously invest in a Meursault ID then that means he wins

YES bread posted:

pretty much everyone agreed in S1 that the game was insanely generous w/r/t shards, which while great for f2p is Not Great for a game you're using to fund your other games. though hell, even now thread is gating me harder than shards.

like, it's entirely reasonable to acknowledge the financial motivation for changes in a live service game

wasn't it still making shittons of cash despite this though

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
i mean I don't know their operating costs or plans for expansion so who knows if what theyre pulling in is a "shitload" relative to that

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

StuffyEvil posted:

Yeah pretty much, with like only a few things we know about them.

Firstly, they are right next to the Great Lake so the District should have some kind of industry involving it, which is already proven by what we've seen with the event (boatfixing, beaches, crabs, etc.).

Secondary, we know about the main product of the U Corp, which is the stasis boxes that as the name states, keeps whatever is put into it in stasis, which is great for keeping food from restaurants fresh & hot.

Fresh seafood :v:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
frankly i want them to make even more money and will be taking out a second mortgage once they release another 000 gregor

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Probe 17 posted:

The pass is only 1 box per level if you don't shell out for the premium option. It's not a great rate, and I do wish it were easier for f2p players to get their foot in the door there.

Can't you get up to 60 BP if you put everything on the line? Which is 6 box which give in average 12 shards...

How much do you get from a 0 identity in a pull?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

look i understand this company has been very generous and htis game is way less fucky than most gacha but like. they still want your money. this is not an altruistic enterprise. they would prefer it if you spent money. therefore some of their decisions will have a profit motive.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

Endorph posted:

look i understand this company has been very generous and htis game is way less fucky than most gacha but like. they still want your money. this is not an altruistic enterprise. they would prefer it if you spent money. therefore some of their decisions will have a profit motive.

I mean yeah, but they still pump out amazing stories so if that is the price to pay, I'm willing to sell a part of my soul for that

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
you can just give them 10 dollars or whatever like a normal person

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I mean yeah, but they still pump out amazing stories so if that is the price to pay, I'm willing to sell a part of my soul for that

Ditto. I'm all for them getting paid well and having the money to keep going.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

You get 3 shards per 0, 15 per 00, and 50 per 000, for dupes.

I don't think they're trying to push people to spend money on buying lunacy to pull on the gacha -- not for shards. But I think it's increasingly obvious that they want everyone to be buying the battle pass and earning most of their shards from BP levels, and that if you don't have the battle pass, UT4 is going to be hard to attain if you're also trying to save up for buying things straight from the dispenser.

The weekly hard dungeon is 22.5 levels, and the dailies are an additional 1 level per day, giving you just about 30 BP levels per week if you don't do any MD2 Normal grinding. 30 BP levels is only 30 boxes (avg of 60 shards) for an f2p player, but it's a whopping 90 boxes (180 shards) if you have the battlepass.

After you add in the additional stuff every week (750 lunacy from Mirror Dungeon, and 300 lunacy from the weekly update, plus events or apologems), it should be easy for a battle pass player to just buy a 000 from the dispenser every two weeks, without making any pulls at all.

Only the seasonals will be leaving the dispenser, and a bunch of the new EGOs and IDs they've released have been getting put into the standard pool instead, which makes the math even easier if you're a battle pass haver trying to decide "do I want to spend my boxes on buying another character, or do I want to spend them on UT4".

And the battlepass is only $10 for the entire season, which lasts multiple months (and last season they even extended it because their new content wasn't ready), which... does feel like a fair amount of money to ask for. That's less than one coffee per month.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

YES bread posted:

you can just give them 10 dollars or whatever like a normal person

I don't have a credit card + it's really stupidely hard to find a Steam Gift Card around these part of the world so I willingly sacrifice something that I know will come back in the futur.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Endorph posted:

I was probably getting a little too pedantic with it. I don't disagree with this overall point you've made, so I'll drop my quibbling about the exact ratio of profit motives to not profit motives in a decision.

I'm just going to hope the grind becomes slightly less onerous, and frankly, I'm optimistic they will!

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I do the dailies every second day or so, usually one normal mirror dungeon a week, and i still have almost every Id and Ego, all uptied to three, and golden boxes in the hundreds to spare, the only things i bought being the 2 battlepasses.
I understand them wanting people to spend a bit more so it's not bad as long as it is not mandatory for future story content.
The downside is now having to ponder whether uptying weak but fun units is worth it.

Kefahuchi_son!!! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 24, 2023

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm not uptying anything until I feel like I have to or something comes along that's so OP it'll let me pay less attention to hard MD2. Farmwatch for whoever ends up getting it, maybe.

StuffyEvil
Nov 8, 2022

Poison sandwich tea party starts now
(art from @luingear on Twitter)

Boksi posted:

Fresh seafood :v:

Gosh, Don is gonna take a bite out of a crab like what she did with a Bongy back in 3.5.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I do have some concerns about full f2p but 1) they're giving a lot of event etc things out so I bet f2p can beat the story, if perhaps on a delay, and 2) the battle pass is INCREDIBLY generous so anyone willing to throw three dollars a month is going to be very happy indeed

currently seems like a reasonable model, assuming f2p newbies can beat Farmwatch in a reasonable time frame

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
It's an insanely generous model and I am baffled that people have their heads so far up their asses that we're getting lovely community posts and review bombs. It is completely nonsensical and reminds me that 99.99% of people have never even LOOKED at a game's balance in even the most cursory detail, and gods forbid they try to learn how economic outlets and sinks work. PM are working their asses off to get things in a functional order and avoid material death spirals on both sides but all some folks in the community do is go `waaah profit motive` and `boohoo i have less of a resource i was never using anyways`. I am so sick of poo poo like this ever getting any credence, especially when the real gripes are just `waaah no tiddies` and `boohoo i don't get infinity everything for free from people trying to loving LIVE`. Just disgusting.

All this aside: Let's take a look at the (no numbers) IDs and EGO!

> I love how people will go out of their way to massively overpraise and hype up Impending Day and then get incredibly sad as soon as something says [On Krill Kill]. Ryoshu's base EGO replacer looks like it will serve a good role and, if the costs aren't too high, the Overclocked version might be an interesting angle.
> Hong Lu's definitely excites me because I love to see when an EGO has two totally different use cases for its base and Corroded / Overclocked modes. Base Soda even has three different beneficial outcomes, one of which can stack with the other binary pair, although getting crits on Hong Lu without the Mirror Dungeon gifts right now is a different story. The animation guarantees this'll be a 10/10 replacement over my least-favorite TETH, so there's at least that. :v:
> The most interesting thing about Sinclair's ID to me is actually the combat passive: If that can be reliably maintained, even if it's only +1/+1 that's still going to add up FAST.
> Ishmael forgoes being able to fuel most of her current EGO with instead being a possible Second Coming of Spicebush, and I am here for it. It also seems she might finally be the unit we need that can apply enough Sinking Count to really carry a Sink team... Which makes it a shame she's slot-competing with one of the current best Sinking units in Reindish. :<

Also both IDs having Rupture Protection on their defense coins makes it pretty obvious what the enemy gimmick is gonna be in this chapter. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah saying 'idk i took a break for a month and having to grind mirror dungeon every day to get more mats for uptie 4 mostly makes me wanna play less not more' is disgusting

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Endorph posted:

yeah saying 'idk i took a break for a month and having to grind mirror dungeon every day to get more mats for uptie 4 mostly makes me wanna play less not more' is disgusting

Yeah, "my maladaptive gameplay decisions make me feel bad about the decisions I made so I'm taking it out on the game itself / the developers" is actually not a good take, it turns out!
You do not need to insta-rush Uptie 4! It is an optional upgrade that is marginal-to-moderate, and there is nothing forcing you to jump on it with a speed that requires you to play the game more than you enjoy.
Those upgrades and those materials will come naturally with time. Just play at the pace you enjoy and find comfortable, and THEN if things are feeling weird, if you're falling behind in major content, and you think you shouldn't be, THEN maybe you'd have some grounds to be complaining. As it stands this makes no sense.
if you're going to take a month-long break from the game then it's not like you're trying to stay on some meaningless cutting edge so... Why? What's the point of doing those two diametrically opposed things back to back?
If you're binging and overstuffing yourself, that is not the game's fault. You're pacing yourself poorly, and should aim to correct for that instead of blaming the system.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
for every dollar you don’t give to PM im going to give three

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Ariamaki posted:

Yeah, "my maladaptive gameplay decisions make me feel bad about the decisions I made so I'm taking it out on the game itself / the developers" is actually not a good take, it turns out!

no one in here is saying that tho. no point taking frustration at the bum reviews out on anyone in this thread tbh

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
so like i wish to reiterate the bottom line: can f2p newbies beat farmwatch, and therefore catch up to the current story content?

i'm leaning towards yes but i haven't had the "joined july 1" experience, and if f2p newbies can't catch up, that's bad

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

Google Jeb Bush posted:

so like i wish to reiterate the bottom line: can f2p newbies beat farmwatch, and therefore catch up to the current story content?

i'm leaning towards yes but i haven't had the "joined july 1" experience, and if f2p newbies can't catch up, that's bad

I'm f2p and I have managed to beat Canto 4. I just took very long because of the sheer size of the story and sometime I lacked motivation to play the game

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I'm f2p and I have managed to beat Canto 4. I just took very long because of the sheer size of the story and sometime I lacked motivation to play the game

:911:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
No one mentioned the most substantive complaint: that Boatworks Sinclair is a reference to male slavery because he's wearing a choker

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Pigbuster posted:

No one mentioned the most substantive complaint: that Boatworks Sinclair is a reference to male slavery because he's wearing a choker

Wait until they hear what Wellcheers is a reference to.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
frankly they seemed more mad that his shirt was open while ishmael didnt have her tits out, those guys were hosting entirely new species of brainworms

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

YES bread posted:

frankly they seemed more mad that his shirt was open while ishmael didnt have her tits out, those guys were hosting entirely new species of brainworms

Korean anti-feminists are on a level none of us could ever imagine, and I wish they would stop.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

YES bread posted:

Lt. Lizard posted:

Meanwhile, english PM fans are absolutely, ridiculously horny about Ishmael in a wetsuit.

:siren:

TeeQueue posted:

Anyways I can’t believe my “swimsuit Ishmael but it’s like a full diving suit” shitpost was dead on.

i think we know who to blame

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i think we know who to blame

Listen I made them a limbillion dollars I’m allowed to be completely normal about, like, two characters in the entire canon. :v:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

TeeQueue posted:

Listen I made them a limbillion dollars I’m allowed to be completely normal about, like, two characters in the entire canon. :v:

300k dollars, a limbillion dollars, same difference

also diving suit is like completely different than a wetsuit. yoko taro did it right

MotU fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 25, 2023

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
like it should have been this

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me
I love how everyone has already forget about the best character in the entire PM franchise, Cinq Quixote

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
R Ishmael is good now and we've gotten Ishmael IDs every other week and now we are getting an event one then her chapter, no one else matters

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

MotU posted:

300k dollars, a limbillion dollars, same difference

also diving suit is like completely different than a wetsuit. yoko taro did it right

A limbillion is not an official unit of measurement, it means whatever we want it to mean in the moment.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

TeeQueue posted:

A limbillion is not an official unit of measurement, it means whatever we want it to mean in the moment.

you cannot base a currency on this.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

MotU posted:

Big number goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Also, someone remind me to never go again in the Steam forums. Just read some really high quality opinion of people who are really respectful of everyone around them and that has changed my goddamn mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

MotU posted:

Reminds me of a bitcoin joke: the kid asks his dad for 1 bitcoin, and the dad goes "$100 dollars! $80 dollars is a lot of money, what does a kid need $2,000 dollars for anyway?"