Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

quiggy posted:

Check your HUD settings too, it's possible the job gauge is set to hidden for some reason.

For better or worse, job gauges can't actually be hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I know you said, that you generally only play healers, but you could use the ARR Patch content to check out Red Mage or Samurai as they both start you at Level 50 with an appropriate set of gear.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mr. Neutron posted:

For better or worse, job gauges can't actually be hidden.

Oh, huh. The more you know!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
what is the point of palace of the dead, do you get loot at the end or what?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
a chance at rare mounts and otherwise hard-to-access old gear for the looks. that's it. the title you get for soloing all the way to floor 200 is considered fairly prestigious. it's also one of the quicker ways to spend a lot of consecutive time grinding jobs from levels 15-60

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Pure grade MMO content. It's also challenging content, soloing to 200 is a serious mark of honor. Aside from learning to optimize it is pretty basic at heart with proc-gen box rooms and the level cap but it has a certain charm.

It will get you nice class XP if you grind it to learn it but imo it never seemed particularly fast for the sake of doing it just for that, group or solo. Also a full 1-100 or X to 200 run feels like a several hours long commitment? You can save and come back to your run at least. You also need some grinding to get the mats and stat ups to consider pushing hard.

Farming the loot requires finding invisible spots to stand on. You get power-ups normally that'll just tell you where these are but it's pretty grindy either way, insane without the power-up.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 24, 2023

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
As others have said, it's a relatively easy way to grind out early job levels, some cool lightsaber weapons, rare mounts, and cheevos.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There are much better ways to get levels for other jobs at this point though. PotD is kinda... heh... dead.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I've gotten 16 mil gil selling a rare mount I got in PotD. A full 200 floor run is pretty fun but you either need a premade group with a strict schedule, or find 3 randoms who are willing to commit like 6 hours in one sitting. Solo attempts basically require lots of in-depth knowledge about game mechanics, as well as knowledge of a lot of esoteric rules only applicable to PotD and similar Deep Dungeons. It's still very hard with a party of 4 but at least resurrection is an option most of the time.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
At best, there's a side-story that ends up having its finale in there, but that's only up through floor 50.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I wasn't entirely expecting the answer to my question to be yes. I absolutely adore the depth of ui customization in this game, I may take a screenshot of my dumbass setup later to show why I need the fourth bar for all classes

And as someone who loves solo challenges in mmo's, the point of the palace of the dead is to be an incredibly fun chill and podcast side mode for when I want to test how far I can go with a given class.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I did some PotD grinding recently and I think it's still a pretty decent option for grinding out DPS classes, plenty of people still do it and queues are quick.

Healers and Tanks need not apply though, they can just queue regular roulettes because those'll pop in like 5 seconds

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

brainSnakes posted:

I wasn't entirely expecting the answer to my question to be yes. I absolutely adore the depth of ui customization in this game, I may take a screenshot of my dumbass setup later to show why I need the fourth bar for all classes

And as someone who loves solo challenges in mmo's, the point of the palace of the dead is to be an incredibly fun chill and podcast side mode for when I want to test how far I can go with a given class.

There is some wacky stuff you can do with the UI once you start delving into chat commands, too.

Using a combination of chat commands, shared hotbars, and strategic use of hotbars from unused classes, I have setup (see: stole from Jocat) a system of collapsible menus that serves as an easy job-swapping UI so I can quickly and easily switch back and forth between my various jobs.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Deep dungeons are fun but they get monotonous so quickly. Would not recommend using them to grind up job levels.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I would only play the deep dungeons if you actually enjoy them; they're worth a try, but if they're not your thing, there are plenty of other ways to level DPS classes. I would also recommend trying them out with parties before you attempt any soloing, just to get a feel for things while being at less risk of a single mistake ending your run.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

At best, there's a side-story that ends up having its finale in there, but that's only up through floor 50.

The story in potd goes up to floor 100. Same as heaven on high (50) and eureka orthos (100).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

brainSnakes posted:

The good news of this game's UI: you can customize pretty much anything.
The bad news of this game's UI: it's spread across ten different unintuitive menus that aren't all accessed the same way.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

DelphiAegis posted:

The story in potd goes up to floor 100. Same as heaven on high (50) and eureka orthos (100).

Well, I was referring to an certain sidestory that happens mostly OUTSIDE Palace of the Dead that receives its conclusion once you clear floor 50.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

appreciate the input on how jobs have evolved over the years! guess I shouldn't get too attached to my faves

Some people in my FC were talking about having a blast in Eureka Orthos. Is it worth completing POTD and HOH to get there?

I've had truly awful PF experiences trying to clear floor 50 of POTD. I made three attempts and all three times the party disbanded on floor 30 leaving me discouraged and alone with a daunting task ahead of me or an impossible queue to form a new party

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

God Hole posted:

appreciate the input on how jobs have evolved over the years! guess I shouldn't get too attached to my faves

Some people in my FC were talking about having a blast in Eureka Orthos. Is it worth completing POTD and HOH to get there?

I've had truly awful PF experiences trying to clear floor 50 of POTD. I made three attempts and all three times the party disbanded on floor 30 leaving me discouraged and alone with a daunting task ahead of me or an impossible queue to form a new party

If you enjoyed PotD and HoH, it's worth it. If you didn't, it's not. It's the same basic gameplay. It's just a particularly good incarnation of it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The big difference you see in Eureka Orthos is how trash becomes much more dangerous much sooner than they did in the prior two. The auto attack damage they deal is way more manageable, but the tradeoff is their avoidable attacks are deadly or will set you up for death way more often. It's crazy fun if you're the type of person who has fun looking out for these things, but if you just wanna roll your face over mobs for the majority of the run then it's not so great.

My suggestion is to get at least one, preferably two or three, friends and run through it as a little static.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Vitamean posted:

The big difference you see in Eureka Orthos is how trash becomes much more dangerous much sooner than they did in the prior two. The auto attack damage they deal is way more manageable, but the tradeoff is their avoidable attacks are deadly or will set you up for death way more often. It's crazy fun if you're the type of person who has fun looking out for these things, but if you just wanna roll your face over mobs for the majority of the run then it's not so great.

My suggestion is to get at least one, preferably two or three, friends and run through it as a little static.

Kind of sounds like Delubrum Reginae? which I enjoyed immensely

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Infected posted:

I know you said, that you generally only play healers, but you could use the ARR Patch content to check out Red Mage or Samurai as they both start you at Level 50 with an appropriate set of gear.

Also, having tank and dps experience will make you a better healer

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

God Hole posted:

If you always travel rooms by hugging walls to avoid Another Stupid Trap Deaths and are an even mildly self sufficient class than soloing to 50 POTD isn't very demanding. I did it on War or Gnb, but really all that mattered even with the level cap blocking access to big self healing was killing things one at a time and having generous CDs on bosses.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
how do I get an apartment or a house

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That Little Demon posted:

how do I get an apartment or a house

House:
--Have 4.5million gold
--Find someplace in a housing district that has a gavel icon, , that means an empty lot. Kinda uncommon but they show up every once in a while
--go there and enter the lottery
--Come back later to find out if you won

Apartment:
--Have 500,000 gold and be Second Lieutenant with your Grand Company (can get an apartment in any distrist regardless of Company)
--Go to an apartment building in a housing district
--Buy an apartment

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Something important to note is if you win a house auction you basically have to stay subbed forever since it'll get demolished and you lose it if you don't go inside it for a certain amount of time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yep lost my house because I forgot to log in for a month. But then my house was a monument to past failures so maybe it's for the best.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Something important to note is if you win a house auction you basically have to stay subbed forever since it'll get demolished and you lose it if you don't go inside it for a certain amount of time.

what about all the stuff inside??

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

what about all the stuff inside??

don't let your house get demolished

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gets kept for a certain amount of time (45 days I think) available from an vendor, then gets tossed.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Use Paissa to look up houses that are available on your server. Wards are separated into FC only, Individual only and Both, so if you can't bid in a ward it may be FC only. If there are a lot of FC only houses sitting empty you can roll a vanity FC and wait like 30 days and get some ranking or whatever, I don't know the exact details but for a MMO it's not a huge investment. The lottery cycles every 8ish days with several days to bid. It's 3m to 4.5m depending on location for a small, 15m+ for mediums and 40m+ for larges.

You bid and at the end of the entry period it rolls dice based on however many people bid and selects one winner, so if you're on Dynamis you can actually get a house but if you're on any remotely established server group you roll the dice every time until you win or go insane. Getting a house without vanity FC setup or a forgiving server is pure luck.

The far easier introduction to housing is to get an apartment which are instant purchase if you can find an open room or join a Free Company(FC)/Guild and spend like 300k for a room you can decorate that is the size of an apartment. FC room limits are so generous you can always get at least this one space for yourself. Apartments cap at 100 items set out, Small Houses have 2 apartment sized spaces stacked on top of each other with a stairway hall and you can set 200 items out. It gets bigger from there! I found the apartment was fun to get working but very limiting for fine details and the small to be just right. The mind boggles at what larges can do but they're mostly the realm of FCs or deliberate venue makers.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 25, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Note auto demolition only applies to houses. You can squat an apartment indefinitely.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

It's unlikely that you're on one of the worlds where it matters, but apartments are technically also limited like houses are. The number's just very large.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Me and my friends just use our FC house, which we got pretty early on (back in ARR). Headaches for getting a house still existed but weren't nearly as trying as they are now.

And in the game.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

If you're in a FC that has a house you can get a private room in that house for cheaper than a public apartment (300000gil instead of 500000)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

brainSnakes posted:

You probably noticed while you were making the fourth bar per-class, but you actually get ten bars. I'm fairly restrained so I only use nine of them

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Every player, once they get a new class, job, or just gearset they want to be able to swap to on the fly, should learn to make collapsible hotbar macros

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/9rj7qg/collapsing_hotbar_macros_for_a_clean_ui/

https://i.imgur.com/fQjUxWr.mp4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Finished the 5.x quests. Time to walk the end.

(think im gonna give myself a day or two and run through the niers and otherwise gently caress around a bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Runa posted:

Every player, once they get a new class, job, or just gearset they want to be able to swap to on the fly, should learn to make collapsible hotbar macros

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/9rj7qg/collapsing_hotbar_macros_for_a_clean_ui/

https://i.imgur.com/fQjUxWr.mp4

Mine as a Steamdeck User is set to HB10 being the "main" menu (set to a menu that has f1-f12 on my right trackpad) which copies the contents of a catagory (HB's 02-09) to HB01 so I can press a key on my left trackpad (ser to 1-12).