Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

Sadly they do not gain EXP if they're not in the party. They catch up quick, though, so you shouldn't have to actually grind, just bring them along and they'll catch up. Gear is more important than levels anyway, really.

For reference, I never had to grind at all except when I wanted to get to really high levels for the optional superboss (and even then it was about 15-20 minutes of metal slime-equivalent hunting and I was done). I ended up somewhat overleveled just playing normally.

Nice, not really going to worry about it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It is to my great disappointment that I have learnt that summoning beasts is an Ochette-only thing rather than for any hunter, but I have managed to get full type coverage even without her big boar friend.

Currently running:
Temenos/no subjob, should try and pick one up for him eventually
Osvald/Merchant
Throne/Inventor
Agnea/Hunter

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact Harvey expected Osvald to escape. Honestly it was kind of amazing finding out that Harvey was even more obsessed with Osvald than Osvald was with him.

endgame spoilers ig
The way Harvey is like the most obsessively toxic ex-boyfriend at the start of Osvald's story and then every single thing you learn about him reveals it just keeps going even deeper to the point of literally bailing him out of the death sentence, and wasting so many opportunities to just kill Osvald outright in favour of rubbing it in his face and then letting him catch back up only to just keep doing it, and that this ends up literally saving the world is quite possibly the best thing in this game honestly.

Harvey is such a massive piece of poo poo but god it makes him so incredibly good.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Been eyeing this one for a bit, but I wanna ask- do you have to play all the stories? I found a few of the characters kinda cringe and wanna know if I'll be forced to recruit them anyway

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BULBASAUR posted:

Been eyeing this one for a bit, but I wanna ask- do you have to play all the stories? I found a few of the characters kinda cringe and wanna know if I'll be forced to recruit them anyway

How do you know they're cringe if you haven't played the game huh smart guy???????

Yes you have to recruit and play all 8 characters

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Theoretically you don't have to do all the stories or recruit all the characters, but then you can't complete the game since you need to finish all eight stories to unlock the final chapter.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
The stories are pretty much self contained in a sense so you could just play a few stories then just stop playing. But you'll miss the end game that kinda ties everything together and adds additional context which is pretty good. Some of the stories are better than others but the characters as a whole are pretty endearing. Even the ones that seem like they might be irritating at first glance.

Also having a full party gives you lots of options for party compositions and there's a lot of really good job combinations worth playing around with. Especially with the latent skill/unique actions that characters get which are actually decently balanced. Every character has a few unique set ups that make them pretty powerful in the right circumstances. So it's worth it to at least recruit and use all 8 even if you don't like every storyline just for gameplay reasons.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 24, 2023

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

Ibblebibble posted:

It is to my great disappointment that I have learnt that summoning beasts is an Ochette-only thing rather than for any hunter, but I have managed to get full type coverage even without her big boar friend.

Currently running:
Temenos/no subjob, should try and pick one up for him eventually
Osvald/Merchant
Throne/Inventor
Agnea/Hunter

Dancer Temenos allows him to buff his own holy spells and also gives him access to a Wind spell. I will admit i only used Stimulate because the male sprites have funny animations and remarks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Partitio is 100% in his element as a Dancer. Almost feels like he missed his true calling, ya know.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

it's bs that we don't get a 4th dancer license for the all male squad

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I eventually ended up with this setup:

Temenos/Scholar
Osvald/Merchant
Throne/Inventor
Ochette/Dancer

I learnt the hilarity that can ensue from Beguiling Grace when I managed to lock myself out of items halfway through Throne's chapter 2 boss fight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I always roll a 4-stack Beguiling Grace at the start of every boss fight. Let the die be cast.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

exquisite tea posted:

Partitio is 100% in his element as a Dancer. Almost feels like he missed his true calling, ya know.

I use /Hunter or /Thief for boss fights but otherwise he's rocking Dancer as much as possible. Just slip right on in.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Look I know capitalism gets a bad rap but give Partitio a chance

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I eventually ended up with this setup:

Temenos/Scholar
Osvald/Merchant
Throne/Inventor
Ochette/Dancer

I learnt the hilarity that can ensue from Beguiling Grace when I managed to lock myself out of items halfway through Throne's chapter 2 boss fight.

You found the broken Temenos subjob. If Ochette wasn't in the game, he'd be king at breaking enemies as scholar for sure.

It's also nice for instantly winning most interrogation actions, just start him with support skills to boost his latent gauge and BP and you're good to go.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Once I finish the stories of my A-team and swap to my B-team of Castti/Partitio/Agnea/Hikari, what subjobs should I try out on them? There's Partitio/Dancer mentioned above and I heard that Castti goes well with /Warrior thanks to her high strength stat, anything else pop out for the other two? Maybe I should hunt down the three not-Inventor subjobs to see what they can do.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The other three secret jobs are all gotten pretty late in the game compared to Inventor; you have to complete Hikari’s story to unlock one.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Once I finish the stories of my A-team and swap to my B-team of Castti/Partitio/Agnea/Hikari, what subjobs should I try out on them? There's Partitio/Dancer mentioned above and I heard that Castti goes well with /Warrior thanks to her high strength stat, anything else pop out for the other two? Maybe I should hunt down the three not-Inventor subjobs to see what they can do.

Yeah I did warrior with Castti and it worked great all game. Lots of health from apothecary so she can tank pretty well, concoct for whatever you need, and she does a lot of damage with warrior ultimate or drastic measures. It also lets her use swords/spears which helps with breaking. Especially since she already gets a lot of elemental types via concoct.

Agnea is probably one of the better inventor users because her latent skill lets her turn any of the single target skills into multi ones. Though there's plenty of classes that benefit from her latent skill so it's not the only choice.

Hikari can use just about anything because his base kit is so strong. Hunter is probably pretty common with him cause it gives him access to bow skills. Later on you want him to have access to staves to take advantage of a particularly strong staff weapon but other than that a lot of things work with him.

Partitio is also pretty flexible. Dancer is good, thief is good for utility too. You would probably lean support with him because Hikari and Castti will have damage covered pretty handily. And he always has hired help which is a strong ability if you have the money to put into it.

I wont mention the other classes since you haven't found them yet but there's a few really strong combinations involving them too. So definitely play around with those classes when you get them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Partitio works well with many subjobs though he tends to lean more utility or fast clearing. With his Latent and the Merchant passive that gives him a full Latent every battle, he can use /Thief or /Hunter to start every fight with their Divine Skill to clear out trash efficiently. Otherwise though he's a good utility toolbox since Hired Help gives him access to universal shield breaks and damage, and he has two weapon types at base. /Thief or /Hunter gives him two more as well as more utility with Leghold Trap or Armor Corrosive. /Dancer, as mentioned, works so he can always be doing something.

Castti is a bit slow so I wouldn't use Thief's Divine Skill on her, but she can handle just about anything else well. Warrior or Thief are decent options to help her otherwise middling set of damage options (her EX skill is very strong as a backup, however), and Warrior is a good one to get started on since she can break 9999 very easily with her EX skill if you set it up. Dancer also helps reduce the demand on her components if you just need a quick shot of buffing, and it allows her to buff magic attack, which is otherwise missing in Concoct. If you want to go a specific damage build you can look at jobs with weapon access which enhance her elemental damage, since she can natively access four (one via Icicle and the other three via Concoct).

Agnea is primarily a buffer and movement enhancer, but she has the E.Atk to make a good Scholar and her Latent works with Elemental Barrage. Her E.Def is kinda weak so she's not a great healer, though like any character she can function in it in a pinch. Merchant is worth a nod because Hired Help is always a good damage option for a character that's otherwise focused on utility, but also because it has Polearm and Bow access. Agnea has natural access to Daggers, and combined all three weapon types have a weapon that has +Wind damage, going perfectly with her EX skill which does Wind damage. Packed with her high E.Atk, Agnea can slip into a damage build.

Hikari can be very self-sufficient given his access to his Learned Skills, so he's never quite lacking on options. He has enough E.Def to be a healer, though I would use /Apothecary for that over /Scholar given his shallow SP pool. /Merchant is very good for him for duels since Rest and Sidestep are both fantastic for solos and Rest fixes one of his major issues in his SP pool. I did say Hikari's not a great Scholar, but the Staff skill from it can be very good for him to refill SP as well. I also like /Hunter because it gives him access to two more weapon types for breaking purposes and gives him some utility to fall back on if need be.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 25, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Hikari's good with anything. He wants staff access in the lategame but before then I like Merchant for Sidestep or Hunter for a wide range of weapon types. At endgame I had him using Cleric just because he didn't need any skills from his subjob and the cloak looked cool on him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hikari makes a good Cleric because staves have really high melee damage and he can refill his entire meager SP bar in two bonks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll do an inverse post and list subjobs that I think aren't great fits for the characters (but you can still use them if you want, I just think they're less effective):

Castti: Cleric, Hunter. Apothecary already covers most of what Cleric does, and if you need group healing you're better off using Concoct than burning through her rather middling SP pool. Hunter is usable just for Leghold Trap, but otherwise Castti has better options for doing damage (Warrior, Thief, even Scholar).

Partitio: Scholar, Cleric. It's hard for Partitio to really go wrong considering his innate utility and how good his Latent is. Scholar's skillset though is generally a poor fit on any characters without the E.Atk to back it up, and while Partitio is usable and he has Rest to fix SP issues, he's probably better off using weapons instead. Similarly, Cleric feels mostly like a worse Apothecary for him and he doesn't need the staff skill since he has innate Rest.

Agnea: Warrior, Hunter, Apothecary. Agnea's the inverse in that she's a better spell-slinger than a weapons-basher, especially since she only starts with one weapon type. Warrior really doesn't do anything for her other than Level Slash for breaking, and her Latent doesn't work with its self-buffing skills. Hunter has weapon access but otherwise pretty weak damage, though a mass Leghold Trap can be cute on multi-target fights. Apothecary's not ideal for her given her low E.Def meaning less effective heals, only one weapon type, and Icicle is pretty weak. Latent Rehabilitate and Poison Slash can be a thing, but there are better characters for the task I feel.

Hikari: Scholar, Dancer. Scholar's a natural antithesis to Hikari's physical kit, and has no utility other than Analyze. It can bolster his SP pool but you're better off using Cleric or Merchant for that. Dancer doesn't do much for Hikari, since he shouldn't be using his turns to buff other characters.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 25, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hikari can get a better analyze skill that reveals two weaknesses anyway, there is zero reason to make him a Scholar.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
And in a might as well, guess I'll just cover the other characters:

Osvald: Warrior, Hunter. Osvald is the inverse of Hikari, so naturally Warrior's a poor fit for him. It does give him some bulk, but the skillset really isn't anything Osvald wants to spend time doing. Thief and Hunter both have some utility Osvald can throw out if he needs to, but otherwise they're just kinda there. Hunter is probably slightly worse just because Thief at least has an element Osvald can't hit naturally, and also gives him more Spd which he could always use more of.

Throné: Scholar, Cleric. Throné is another physical character, so obviously she's a poor fit for magical jobs. Her Latent does let her double-tap actions though, giving her a bit more utility like double buffing with Dancer or using double Rehabilitate or Healing Touches. Scholar does nothing for her even on that front unless you want to double Analyze/Study (eh), and Cleric's probably not worth it unless you need to double Sacred Shield. The SP restoration option could be handy and her outfit for Cleric's fun, but on the whole it's probably a weaker match for her.

Ochette: Scholar, Cleric, Merchant. Again, no surprises here. Ochette's all physical and is either blasting with monsters, shooting arrows, going feral or slinging a trap. She's decently fast so she could actually make use of Dancer's buffing skills and Stimulate, but otherwise she's probably most at home in Warrior for the stats or Apothecary/Thief for utility. Since she can break fairly easily and doesn't use SP much, she also doesn't really make use of Merchant.

Temenos: Inventor. Temenos is a very weird character, so his subjob fits are also very weird. He obviously goes well with Scholar, but most other subjobs could have some arguable use for stats - Warrior and Hunter give him some P.Atk so his staff skill recovers more SP, or bulk to make him less fragile. Dancer and Thief give him some speed, which helps him go faster so he can heal earlier. So I'd probably just say Inventor, since it doesn't give enough stats overall one way or another and Temenos rarely has spare BP to fully utilize its skills.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Osvald: Warrior, Hunter. Osvald is the inverse of Hikari, so naturally Warrior's a poor fit for him. It does give him some bulk, but the skillset really isn't anything Osvald wants to spend time doing. Thief and Hunter both have some utility Osvald can throw out if he needs to, but otherwise they're just kinda there. Hunter is probably slightly worse just because Thief at least has an element Osvald can't hit naturally, and also gives him more Spd which he could always use more of.

One note about jobs like Warrior and Hunter: there are weapons that boost elemental damage, and Warrior and Hunter let Osvald equip a good number of them. They're not as good for that as Armsmaster but they're available a lot earlier. The Warrior and Hunter skills might not be too useful to him but their weapon access could be. (Though Thief also lets him boost fire damage really well.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Scholar actually works great on Throne due to her double-turn latent, and she already has Darkness magic. Use the Divine Skill to buff spells and immediately thrown amped up magic around when you need it most.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That actually is a valid point. Warrior is best for Fire (sword+polearm), Hunter for Ice (axe + bow). Lightning can just be Hunter or Apothecary since rod is the other +lightning option.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Scholar actually works great on Throne due to her double-turn latent, and she already has Darkness magic. Use the Divine Skill to buff spells and immediately thrown amped up magic around when you need it most.

Honestly I've never made spellcasting work for her, Agnea at least has the stats for it. But it is an option especially if you have a BP battery and/or Dancer to buff E.Atk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thief can do fire, too (sword and dagger IIRC).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks for all the tips, hopefully I can internalise them by my next play session lol

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah, if you want Osvald to do the most possible damage you have to pick an element and get at least 2 if not 3 of the elemental boosting weapons for it. (I think Fire/Ice have 3 and lightning has 2 if I remember right). So warrior/hunter/thief can help with that. Or of course if you just go Armsmaster then it's pretty easy since that lets him equip everything.

Also I'd argue merchant is fine for Ochette. Her latent skill gives her enough damage to be useful, her provoke ability combined with her final ex skill gives her endless utility and the best breaking in game. She's like Hikari and doesn't really need a subjob to make her shine. So you are free to give her what you currently need for your party. Having an extra merchant is never a waste. (or whatever support job your party currently needs)

Throne is an interesting one too because she can do stuff like cast Dohter's charity then immediately pop one of the items that restores all BP/Latent/etc and max out the party in effectively one action. And unlike Inventor Agnea doing the same by using her latent ability with coil, Throne can do that every turn as needed. So long as you have the items. Her latent ability has some broken synergy with almost every job and so there's probably nothing that she can't make work. There's a particularly fun interaction with armsmaster where by taking extra actions with her latent, she can crank up that one move that does more damage the longer the turn goes and just absolutely wreck things.

And Temenos yeah, I think scholar is so strong on him it's hard to go with anything else. Not just for the 6-8x break on any shield type, but also because his final EX skill can be buffed with the scholar divine skill. So if you do that and have partitio overbuff his MP, Temenos will do ridiculous damage. Makes up for the fact that you can only use one light boosting weapon (since they are all staves). Though his heal that temporarily buffs maximum health also has a lot of potential, especially if you make it party wide with Sealticge's. That skill is also buffed by the scholar divine skill so yeah, even more reason to use it unless you have Osvald or another scholar buffing him instead.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 25, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah it's not that Merchant is bad on Ochette, it's more that she gets very little out of it. She doesn't necessarily need Hired Help, and she already has bow access, so all she's really getting out of it is Polearms/Rest/Sidestep. So she's better off in a physical job that gives more stats (Warrior/Thief), or something with a bit more utility (Apothecary/Dancer).

Hunter Osvald can technically boost both Ice and Lightning; there's a +lightning rod and a +ice bow, and Battle-Tested Axe boosts both. You don't get a triple boost, but spreading the boost out between two elements gives a bit more versatility.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

More hired help is always good though. Pay 2 Win, baby!!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Best subjob strategy is to pick the best costumes.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

Mega64 posted:

Best subjob strategy is to pick the best costumes.

And if not costume, best hat.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

animeluva1 posted:

And if not costume, best hat.

We are truly fortunate to have multiple good hat options in this game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

What's a good subjob for Osvald? I can't help but think that my current filler choice of Merchant is suboptimal for an Osvald I'm running like a main dps (though I might start running Ochette as one instead and use Osvald as a breaker).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

What's a good subjob for Osvald? I can't help but think that my current filler choice of Merchant is suboptimal for an Osvald I'm running like a main dps (though I might start running Ochette as one instead and use Osvald as a breaker).

Anything that gives him another element is nice, like Cleric (light), Thief (dark), or Dancer (wind).

You might already have weapons that boost elemental damage, for example the Moonfang dagger boosts fire damage and the Guardian's Iceblade boosts ice damage. If you do, then a subjob that lets him equip those weapons will boost his damage significantly, especially if you can boost the same element multiple times (weapons that boost the same element stack). Warrior, Thief, and Hunter are good choices to expand his weapon options and let him equip boosting weapons.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you don't have access to Arcanist yet, he does well in Cleric, which gives him access to another element and SP recovery, but at the cost of not getting any more weapons. Dancer has some interesting synergy, with Teach and the dancer divine skill giving him a lot of flexibility for support. And everyone does well in Merchant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

If you don't have access to Arcanist yet, he does well in Cleric, which gives him access to another element and SP recovery, but at the cost of not getting any more weapons. Dancer has some interesting synergy, with Teach and the dancer divine skill giving him a lot of flexibility for support. And everyone does well in Merchant.

Cleric is a strong choice for Osvald, because the Cleric Light and healing spells all benefit from Alephan's Wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Ibblebibble posted:

Merchant is fine; if he isn't making a dent with his Scholar spells, then at least he can donate BP to someone who can.

For me, I finished up all the Chapter 3 stories and my characters range in level from low-40s to mid-30s. Listed below in order of how often I use them.

Castti (starting character): Warrior most of the time, occasionally Thief. She's incredibly powerful for a healer and has been able to break 9999 at max boost for a while.
Ochette: Thief. mostly for weapon coverage but also it's nice to toss out Armor Corrosive right before Beastly Fangs.
Partitio: Scholar. Nothing clears out random encounters quite like using his latent for a max-boosted fire spell on Turn 1 (with Scorched Bone Spear equipped).
Temenos: Dancer. There's probably better options; I just like the concept of dancing Columbo priest.
Throne: Merchant or Hunter. Fills gaps in weapon coverage.
Agnea: Cleric. Decent healing when Temenos isn't around and can use her latent to toss Sacred Shield or Prayer to the Flame across the whole party.
Hikari: Hunter. Doesn't do much else besides expand his weapon coverage and make him look like a catboy. Mainly only use him for his own chapters and to give Ochette a break.
Osvald: Merchant; basically Partitio-lite. Least-used character.