Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Manga is better than comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What about Manhwa

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

X Men loving sucks. Marvel was really like, here have thirty characters and fifteen teams, they all loving suck. Wolverine is the lamest character ever created by a Comic Book Company

Lets loving kill this guy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wolverine is the coolest

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Augus posted:

wolverine is the coolest

He's literally canadian

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Every solo Wolverine story is exactly the same: he’s just trying to relax and someone from his past shows up and fucks everything up and Wolverine is like, “ I guess I gotta reluctantly kill people AGAIN…”

And Patch is the dumbest poo poo ever.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Brocktoon posted:

Every solo Wolverine story is exactly the same: he’s just trying to relax and someone from his past shows up and fucks everything up and Wolverine is like, “ I guess I gotta reluctantly kill people AGAIN…”

yeah it's awesome

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

He's literally canadian

racist

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Brocktoon posted:

Hey John Wick got 4 movies out of this

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Brocktoon posted:

Weird to bring up Patch in an unrelated post about Wolverine

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the secret to writing the coolest characters is that you need to give them at least one totally uncool character trait. this serves to amplify the coolness of the rest of their character.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Augus posted:

the secret to writing the coolest characters is that you need to give them at least one totally uncool character trait. this serves to amplify the coolness of the rest of their character.

Too bad they forgot to give Wolverine any cool traits.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Brocktoon posted:

Too bad they forgot to give Wolverine any cool traits.

he’s the coolest, idiot

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wolverine isnt allowed to smoke cigars anymore lmao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wolverine isnt allowed to smoke cigars anymore lmao

But Joe Quesada still is!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

quote:

Jackman goes on to describe the three weeks of preparation he put in for playing Wolverine as a wolf, including watching an IMAX documentary about wolves -- twice.

Then, while trying to channel a wolf while rehearsing a fight scene, the confused director asked him what he was doing.

When Jackman explained he had researched wolves, the director set him straight — a wolf and a wolverine aren't the same animal, and he was playing a character based on a wolverine. Jackman pushed back with his belief that wolverines aren't real, only to be corrected by the surprised director.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honestly Jackman is Australian he should be used to seeing bizarre creatures that shouldn't exist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think that story was the first time I realised wolverines weren't wolves too.

KingKalamari posted:

Funny you should ask, because after reading that I immediately looked up the stats for comparable X-Men characters Forge and Bishop (Why did the X-Men introduce 3 separate time travelling cyborgs within less than a decade of each other?)

Forge is an entirely reasonable 6' tall and 179 lbs
Bishop is a very large 6'6" tall and 275 lbs. But that somehow still doesn't seem as weird as Cable because Bishop is always drawn as having an exaggeratedly large upper body so he gives the sense of "Big guy" even when he's not standing next to other people.

Forge isn't a time-traveller though (beyond the general thing where lots of comic book characters have time-travelled at one point or another).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Racistly assuming Forge is a time traveler (he has a robot leg)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Brocktoon posted:

What I find both very stupid and very rad about the X-Men in the 80s and 90s is that pretty much all of their stories basically amounted to "The X-Men are trying to relax when someone from one of their pasts shows up and starts making a ruckus".

It's just kind of funny to me how the series eventually got so much lore tied up in it that the writers could just ignore any of the standard superhero plots with this team for years at a time in favor of just mining all the superpowered weirdos the cast had in their families and circles of friends.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think that story was the first time I realised wolverines weren't wolves too.

Forge isn't a time-traveller though (beyond the general thing where lots of comic book characters have time-travelled at one point or another).

Huh, you're right. I think my confusion probably comes from the fact that the 90s animated series showed him as being the other, primary member of the resistance from the era Bishop came from and then X-Men: Evolution portrayed him as a teenager from the 70s that was trapped in a pocket dimension for 30 years, so it just kind of got it stuck in my head that he was a time traveler?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Wolverine french name long ago was Serval. He is a cat.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Alaois posted:

Racistly assuming Forge is a time traveler (he has a robot leg)

I am one of those bigots like Will Smith in the classic asimov film I Robot

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dudes rock

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Augus posted:

And that's why they made him Canadian

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cugel posted:

Wolverine french name long ago was Serval. He is a cat.

No! A wolf!

In Latin American Spanish is was guepardo, which confirms he's a cat.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Looking a bit deeper past my memories he was first "Le glouton", a Mustelidae; a correct but lame translation. They should have gone for "Carcajou". Then "Serval", a Felidae, which is fitting with the design of the character. Finally "Wolverine".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

logger posted:

This is a character that Liefield drew for Spawn btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

It’s fun when they get a little dig back in at him. “We’re artists and we come up with these characters. How did all your characters get created back in the 60s Stan?”

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wait, wait, wait. Hold up. Some folks don't know what a wolverine is?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

many people, some of whom have been involved in writing Wolverine comics in the past

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And on that topic, honey Badgers are also real too

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I think Cable is still a teenager in the comics or did they kill that off too

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He went back to the future so that Old Cable could take his place.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skippy McPants posted:

are they like a bettong, a dunnart, or a quoll?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ghostlight posted:

are they like a bettong, a dunnart, or a quoll?

They’re mustelidae, not marsupials

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

And on that topic, honey Badgers are also real too

Every time I’ve seen a badger the mood is: “whoa cool a badger, but be careful, there’s a badger.”

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A wolverine is a feral Canadian

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Brocktoon posted:

Patch rules

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

What I find both very stupid and very rad about the X-Men in the 80s and 90s is that pretty much all of their stories basically amounted to "The X-Men are trying to relax when someone from one of their pasts shows up and starts making a ruckus".

It's just kind of funny to me how the series eventually got so much lore tied up in it that the writers could just ignore any of the standard superhero plots with this team for years at a time in favor of just mining all the superpowered weirdos the cast had in their families and circles of friends.

it didn't really take establishing a ton of lore. "mining all the superpowered weirdos the cast had in their families and friends" is basically 90% of claremont's run, and claremont set the standard for what the x-men should be. it just naturally follows. it's all the same poo poo thereafter, the x-men only had standard superhero plots while stan lee was still on it himself.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Skippy McPants posted:

They don't exist in Straya. I always assumed it was a smaller wolf.

Are they similar to a thylacine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's one of the chunkier types of weasel relative, like badgers.

edit: Only today did I learn that polecats are a different type of animal, and not just a folksy name for weasels.