Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The 40's through 70's were a wild time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Motronic posted:

Yes:

- Not Square D QO
- Not Cutler Hammer CH
- Not Siemens QP

GE PowerMark panels are fine

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

Good to know. We have very few of those (left?) on on this coast so I've not personally run into a problem/investigation where they caused an issue.

But like I said.....seriously.....anything that old needs replacing.

Waitaminnnit, I'm as old as a Zinsco subpanel. :commissar:

e: Found this list

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 25, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Chronojam posted:

Is there a master list of terribad electrical panels?

Federal Pacific
Zinsco
Challenger
Pushmatic, but this one is because they're obsolete. They never made AFCI breakers for them and NOS for regular breakers is drying up.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 25, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

Yes:

- Not Square D QO
- Not Cutler Hammer CH
- Not Siemens QP

I've got Square D Homeline and it's not awful! (I would have definitely paid for the upgrade to QO had I known or been made aware of the difference when I paid for a panel replacement though)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

I've got Square D Homeline and it's not awful! (I would have definitely paid for the upgrade to QO had I known or been made aware of the difference when I paid for a panel replacement though)

I just installed a homeline panel last year in a friend's barn due to total lack of QO breaker availability. Homeline is okay. It's definitely not awful, but it's real obvious that it's a budget panel. The #1 reason to use a QO, especially in an unheated outbuilding, is that the bus bar is tinned solid copper, not aluminum.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
Hi all... I have a wiring question for you. I have two outdoor outlets on my house which have stopped working. They weren't GFCI outlets and they had a weak sauce cover on them which caused them to short whenever my kids would accidentally spray them with the hose. I kept thinking, "Man, I should replace those outlets and put all weather covers on them." Before I did, they just stopped working entirely.

My first step was to try just replacing the outlets themselves because I was planning on it anyway. However, that didn't help. Then I tried taking one of the outlets out, turning the breaker back on and measuring the voltage with a multimeter. The multimeter seemed to show a very very slight voltage. I didn't write down the exact number, but I think it was like < 1V.

So my next thought was maybe there was an issue with the curcuit breaker itself. So I just tried replacing the breaker itself and it had no effect.

My only other thought is that it's the wires themselves, but I have no idea how to diagnose that issue.

I'm a newbie to all of this, so could have made any number of errors along the way to lead me to the wrong conclusions.

Any thoughts on a good way to proceed?

Thanks!

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Look for a tripped GFCI outlet in your garage or on the other side of your house

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Rufio posted:

Look for a tripped GFCI outlet in your garage or on the other side of your house

Thanks for the advice. Will do.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Rufio posted:

That did it. Thanks! Found a GFCI outlet in the garage which I didn't even know was there because it was behind a storage shelf.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Irony: Eaton (who used to own Cutler Hammer) bought Challenger in the early 90s. My Challenger panel is almost all Cutler Hammer breakers too (they're listed for use in it according to the panel door), though they're BR and BD (as are the few Challenger-labeled breakers - but the CH ones still use the Challenger font on the handle).

They seem to be holding up fine after 25 years; at least, the kitchen one will definitely trip if I run the air fryer and anything else in the kitchen at the same time, and the 2 pole tripped instantly when the compressor shorted to ground in the old AC. I thought code in the late 90s meant more than 1 kitchen outlet circuit though. :sigh: My last apartment was built in 84 and had a dedicated "breaker" (I use that term loosely since it was a Stab-Lok panel) for each kitchen outlet (and that tiny galley kitchen had more outlets than my much larger kitchen in this apartment).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 26, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I know the 90s required GFCIs and established requirements for receptacles to be positioned ever 4ft, but I don't know about circuits.

My kitchen was renovated in the 90s and only has one circuit for everything but the dishwasher, but I'm suspicious about how code compliant the contractors that the parade of Garys hired were.

My plan when I get this place required is a dedicated 20A circuit for each kitchen outlet so I don't have to worry about making toast while the coffee maker is going.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

My plan when I get this place required is a dedicated 20A circuit for each kitchen outlet so I don't have to worry about making toast while the coffee maker is going.

This is overkill in the best way possible and thinking about when we reno our kitchen it would honestly be like 3, maybe 4, countertop breakers tops. That’s not really that bad in the grand scheme of things.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Is it really overkill?

Our air fryer pulls 12.5A, toaster pulls 15A for four slices, coffee maker 9A, electric griddle 12.5A, instant pot 10A, microwave is rated at 13A but actually pulls nearly 16A for the first 30 seconds or so.

The toaster can already cause a 4V sag on our current 12awg circuit all by itself.

There's basically no way to run more than one appliance on a circuit and not risk significantly exceeding the rated current when both cycle on at the same time. So why have the capability to accidentally do it?

Edit: it is worth mentioning that I would only need to add three circuits to make this happen, and have no intention of doing similar in other areas of the house.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 26, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Is it really overkill?

I don't think so. The kitchen really is the room to do this in. For the most part every other room in a home is decreasing in energy usage mostly from LED lighting but also things like no more CRT TVs. We're at the point where I feel like we need some codes for 16 gauge or lighter 5-8 amp or lower lighting circuits.

The other place(s) that could benefit from dedicated high amp circuits would be workshops/garages/craft room kinda places - and the laundry room but those typically already have that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Ironically all of the "wet rooms" are where you want the most power - Kitchen, Bathrooms, Garage/Workshops. If I had really thought about it I might have requested my bathroom be a shared-neutral 20A where top/bottom of outlets are tab broken separate circuits running on 12/3. Then future me could easily run a Japanese MegaShitter9000, a hair dryer, curling iron, etc. I kind of wish I had a 30A/220v outlet just out in the kitchen to use a commercial air fryer on. Basically those units you see at a starbucks. :gritin:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some day, in future house, I will have a commercial combi oven in my kitchen. Wife might force it to be in the butler's pantry. Either way johnny kilowatt is coming to visit when it's time to wire up my walls.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hed posted:

Some day, in future house, I will have a commercial combi oven in my kitchen. Wife might force it to be in the butler's pantry. Either way johnny kilowatt is coming to visit when it's time to wire up my walls.

This new place has a fairly new electric double oven but no convection functionality. :( I can't bring myself to spend like $5000 to r&r it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Shifty Pony posted:

Is it really overkill?

Our air fryer pulls 12.5A, toaster pulls 15A for four slices, coffee maker 9A, electric griddle 12.5A, instant pot 10A, microwave is rated at 13A but actually pulls nearly 16A for the first 30 seconds or so.

The toaster can already cause a 4V sag on our current 12awg circuit all by itself.

There's basically no way to run more than one appliance on a circuit and not risk significantly exceeding the rated current when both cycle on at the same time. So why have the capability to accidentally do it?

Edit: it is worth mentioning that I would only need to add three circuits to make this happen, and have no intention of doing similar in other areas of the house.

I think you're right. I have four circuits in my 1978 kitchen and zero complaints. I recently got an air fryer and it is nice that it's plugged into its own circuit despite being adjacent to the Toaster. Not that they get much action together anyway. Sometimes air fryer and rice cooker. I think I ended up with one appliance on each circuit. Realistically it's rare to use more then two at a time. I don't make fries and coffee and toast and microwave a breakfast sandwich and fry eggs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Even if they don't see a ton of use, it's incredibly inexpensive to add them at a planning stage/when walls are open and typically very very expensive and possibly not even feasible later.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Wire seems expensive but in comparison to everything else it's very very cheap when you've got easy access.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"A whole dollar a foot for 12/2 !!!???" I exclaim while shoveling $50k into a kitchen remodel.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 26, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Here's a question that's been bugging me: in the room with my pc (for "work" :pcgaming:), intermittently or when I turn on the desktop mini amp on the lights will dim slightly for less than a second.

The lights themselves are all LEDs with separate drivers that are all from 2014, so they're old but not yet cascade failing (only one has failed in the rear of the house and in that one the driver was melted). As far as I know there's no "ran everything off the same breaker" problem and everything in the place is pretty well installed electrics wise, barring some mystifying aerial/satellite/cat5e setup.

Best guess would be that something is going on with the earthing and the dimmer the lights are on is dropping when the amp powers up or something like that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I need to not, but it's really tempting to do 300amp main where it's only 100amp 2 pole breakers to sub panels elsewhere, solar input, and that's it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Here's a question that's been bugging me: in the room with my pc (for "work" :pcgaming:), intermittently or when I turn on the desktop mini amp on the lights will dim slightly for less than a second.

The lights themselves are all LEDs with separate drivers that are all from 2014, so they're old but not yet cascade failing (only one has failed in the rear of the house and in that one the driver was melted). As far as I know there's no "ran everything off the same breaker" problem and everything in the place is pretty well installed electrics wise, barring some mystifying aerial/satellite/cat5e setup.

Best guess would be that something is going on with the earthing and the dimmer the lights are on is dropping when the amp powers up or something like that.

I've got a few cheap LEDs that do that. Swap[ping bulbs has taken care of it any place I've noticed so you may want to try swapping out a quality LED before getting into much else.

Quality LEDs do not come from big box stores or the grocery store. They come from actual lighting stores or places like 1000bulbs.com (anything 90+ CRI is typically pretty high quality in all the other ways that count).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

I've got a few cheap LEDs that do that. Swap[ping bulbs has taken care of it any place I've noticed so you may want to try swapping out a quality LED before getting into much else.

Quality LEDs do not come from big box stores or the grocery store. They come from actual lighting stores or places like 1000bulbs.com (anything 90+ CRI is typically pretty high quality in all the other ways that count).

Preach. For the two that have failed (I forgot about one of them) I bought some no name generic and it was a complete pain in the rear end to install and the connection box was so big I could barely get it into the space (which smaller than it should be but that's a different problem). I took the other one I'd bought back and ordered a bunch of Collingwood replacements from a supplier exactly like that and they were much better.

I will be using the "does the manufacturer have a video on their site of a middle aged man in an otherwise empty room that in great detail explains the exact properties and differences between sub models" test in future.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got some extremely cheap workshop LED lights that do the dimming thing, is it a voltage issue? I've seen it in my workshop where the lights are when I turn on a power tool even though they're on separate circuits, but I've even seen it happen "randomly" presumably when some load in the main house kicks on. I'm guessing more and bigger/better capacitors is what keeps the nicer lights from dimming when the voltage shifts a little bit?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got some extremely cheap workshop LED lights that do the dimming thing, is it a voltage issue? I've seen it in my workshop where the lights are when I turn on a power tool even though they're on separate circuits, but I've even seen it happen "randomly" presumably when some load in the main house kicks on. I'm guessing more and bigger/better capacitors is what keeps the nicer lights from dimming when the voltage shifts a little bit?

That's exactly what happens and I can easily believe they're cheap units based on being a big full house installation where they used a shitload of them.

So if nothing else I'm not going mad (my wife claims she can't see anything changing) which is good enough.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

It's very likely a voltage issue - I see it happen when circuits they are on or near get loaded a lot. But the point is those voltage changes should not cause this - the bulbs are just made cheaply. Under filtered? I guess capacitors are expensive. Bad power management? No power management and just a buck converter that hoses rectified 120v down to something close to what the LED needs but entirely linear based on input voltage? I dunno, I'm not gonna take apart and deep dive cheap disposable LED drivers.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Motronic posted:

Even if they don't see a ton of use, it's incredibly inexpensive to add them at a planning stage/when walls are open and typically very very expensive and possibly not even feasible later.

My big plans when we rewire are:

- Kitchen receptacles on individual circuits
- Water heater on an independent circuit
- Patio receptacles on their own circuit
- NEMA 14-50 receptacle in the carport
- remove the current generator so it isn't in the way of connecting the living room to the patio, install a larger unit with service entrance transfer switch like should have been done in the first place

The panel is a Cutler Hammer 200A type BR with 40 slots. Not sure if it is worth the trouble and cost of replacing it with something like a type CH PON, but it probably is.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
X posting from the house buying thread.

H110Hawk posted:

:toot: I am happy to report that the sellers agreed to $12,000 in credits. Thanks, something awful friends for making me know that Zinsco panels are worth pushing on, and just how expensive those gosh darn modern nfpa breaker rules make replacement much more expensive than it used to be. Literally just got me $5k in extra credits.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I have a two car garage that is currently illuminated by one bare bulb over each stall. I am getting eight corded dual 4' LED shop lights to replace the two bulbs. The plan is to remove the bulb sockets and replace them with dual gang boxes and install electrical outlets in the boxes that the shop lights will plug in to. The garage is completely unfinished, so the only thing overhead are the rafters. Does it matter either way if I install the boxes to the bottom of the rafter ties with the outlets pointing straight down vs. mounting to the side of the ties with the outlets facing parallel to the floor?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
It only matters if you see yourself drywalling that garage in the foreseeable future.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Will an electrician run low voltage stuff if I ask them, or do they typically avoid that?

I got a growing list of electrical stuff that I'm probably going to hire out since it's getting to be too much. Since it involves running new circuits/extending existing ones I figure I'd probably ask them to run some ethernet/coax while they're already going to be here drilling holes and pulling wire.

edit: wouldn't have them terminate any of it... just run it point to point since that's the hard part.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DaveSauce posted:

Will an electrician run low voltage stuff if I ask them, or do they typically avoid that?

I got a growing list of electrical stuff that I'm probably going to hire out since it's getting to be too much. Since it involves running new circuits/extending existing ones I figure I'd probably ask them to run some ethernet/coax while they're already going to be here drilling holes and pulling wire.

edit: wouldn't have them terminate any of it... just run it point to point since that's the hard part.

My experience is they'll pull it for sure, and in recent years they've offered to terminate. I still like to do that part myself :)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I would hire a second person. You might get lucky and get an residential electrician who knows how to properly run networking cable (12" from power cable when parallel, all crossings done perpendicularly), but you'll more likely get someone who thinks this is ok:

(Taken from Reddit)

With modern 1Gb networking equipment a bit of interference from a bad run usually isn't too much of a problem, but there's no guarantee that it won't cause strangeness and it might be a problem in the future as faster networking standards take hold.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
A big part of my job is troubleshooting communication issues. More than once running the comms in a separate conduit has fixed the issue. On installs you might get some electricians complaining about having to run a second pipe but for some crazy reason things work better or more reliably when you follow best practices.

It makes it a lot easier to pinpoint the issue when there are less things done the wrong way.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
OK, I need an opinion from some Actual Sparkies™, since though I'm dumb enough to do the same thing three times in a row and get the same result each time, I'm not quite braindamaged enough to do it a fourth time.

In the front of my house, there's a lightpole in the yard which has an outlet and two lights on it (one motion-sensing, one always on). The outlet is in a weather rated box, with a weather rated cover that completely covers it, and is itself a weather rated GFCI. This lightpole is powered from a box on the porch (also weather rated, also in a weather rated box, also GFCI). That, in turn, goes to a switch inside the house, which is basically left alone 24/7 as "on".

For the third time now, the GFCI at the lightpole has completely hard-locked up and refused to reset, even after I've removed the lights to see if the short is in one of the two of them. I've been going through and replacing pretty much everything, and clearly I'm missing something.

First time, I just swapped the outlet -- it wasn't GFCI rated before, and it's outside, so, fine. I also put a new cover on, since the old cover was broken. This one lasted about a year.

Second time, I thought, maybe the motion sensing light was bad -- it had several components that were barely holding together, so fine -- I swapped that out, along with replacing the GFCI. Again, about a year, and then dead.

This most recent time, I did everything. Replaced the lights, replaced the box, replaced the cover, replaced the GFCI, replaced the loving GFCI on the porch, everything. The only thing that's the same is the wires themselves that are in the ground, and the light switch inside the house.

And guess what. One year, all of a sudden, nothing. Dead as a doornail. :psyboom:

What am I missing? Clearly, I'm loving something up, though I don't know what. Please help!

lovely MS-paint quality wiring diagram included.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I'll read your post in a hour or 10 but I wanted to say this is a goddamned masterpiece. I hope you frame this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Does this only happen in the summer? How hot does the weather get where you are, and is the box in the sun?