Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pillsburysoldier posted:

Penultimate ep of heavenly delusion loving sucks. So's the handling of those events in the last ep

I've read up to the current (translated) manga chapters, and I still think that part was completely unnecessary. My interpretation is that it's some sort of hosed up way of cementing Kiruko's current female identity.

I still think the manga overall is good, but that specific thing just kind of sucked.

(I've only read the manga, but from other comments on the anime I'm pretty sure I know what you're referring to.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hard to say, one way or the other since that plot thread is still dangling around, even after most others have been resolved. At least as of volume 9.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

*trying to read between the lines, trying to figure out if this problematic anime is rapey or pedoey*

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Communist Thoughts posted:

*trying to read between the lines, trying to figure out if this problematic anime is rapey or pedoey*
Both!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
New Uzumaki trailer just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRrqvjjKlOs

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

They really captured the art perfectly

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Even the fluidity of motion only heightens the uncanniness of it, when normally it would just look weird in anything else.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Dang, is this it? Did they finally manage to make a non-poo poo Ito adaptation? It looks pretty boss

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

grate deceiver posted:

Dang, is this it? Did they finally manage to make a non-poo poo Ito adaptation? It looks pretty boss

IIRC, it's only going to be four episodes long. I can imagine some people will be disappointed when their favorite chapters aren't covered or heavily abridged.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ytlaya posted:

Also the stuff with the kids having relationships as young teens had kinda weird vibes.

one of the episodes addresses this, it is indeed weird and sad. basically an only-slightly-less-hosed up version of the forced child sexual play in Brave New World, it's part of the conscious design of their society.

your post has me thinking that Shin Sekai Yori and Twelve Kingdoms are more similar than i thought, that both present the necessary sad results from the supernatural conditions of their world.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

they went out of the way to make the ritualistic homosexuality in From the New World seem as awkward and untitillating as possible. Noted pedophile Digibro (whose shotacon fiancé left him to marry Ralph from the alt-right) complained about it not being sexy and gave it a bad review.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

wait what

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they went out of the way to make the ritualistic homosexuality in From the New World seem as awkward and untitillating as possible. Noted pedophile Digibro (whose shotacon fiancé left him to marry Ralph from the alt-right) complained about it not being sexy and gave it a bad review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUJFBBSfoug

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

didn't fade back in to skyrim opening, 6/10

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What's up?? :lmao:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

That's usually the safe assumption

Uzumaki looks good, only the good type of weird anime poo poo in Junji's stuff as far as I remember

Though for my money I'd prefer an adaption of the one where the creepy planet is staring down at earth.
I don't remember it very well but it had some great creepy concepts like when they figure out its mouthing something... Gasp... Someone's name!!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

didn't fade back in to skyrim opening, 6/10

i wanted one where its will smith neuralyzing himself but it doesn't exist. how tf they miss that joke

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Shouldn't you have gone with the scene where Will Smith erases Tommy Lee Jones' memory

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Communist Thoughts posted:

That's usually the safe assumption

Uzumaki looks good, only the good type of weird anime poo poo in Junji's stuff as far as I remember

Though for my money I'd prefer an adaption of the one where the creepy planet is staring down at earth.
I don't remember it very well but it had some great creepy concepts like when they figure out its mouthing something... Gasp... Someone's name!!
It's funny to talk about Remina and Uzumaki because they both involve Ito's strange fear of flying through the air at incredible speeds and also being chased by other people who can inexplicably fly because of convoluted reasons.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

love the little addition of Kirie awkwardly trying to move her eyes independently when she hears it described to her.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

they were both fans of Ralph and were in the background of one of his livestreams, which is how they had met originally. so when Ralph got his rear end kicked in Portugal he had already impregnated a pedophile.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they were both fans of Ralph and were in the background of one of his livestreams, which is how they had met originally. so when Ralph got his rear end kicked in Portugal he had already impregnated a pedophile.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Doc Hawkins posted:

one of the episodes addresses this, it is indeed weird and sad. basically an only-slightly-less-hosed up version of the forced child sexual play in Brave New World, it's part of the conscious design of their society.

your post has me thinking that Shin Sekai Yori and Twelve Kingdoms are more similar than i thought, that both present the necessary sad results from the supernatural conditions of their world.

It’s pretty much the entire point of SSY that it isn’t necessary and the horror that comes from both us and the characters discovering that. Their mutant society is literally going extinct because of how they run it. The author is making a horror show setting knowingly and on purpose.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SSY is a horror story about having to teach yourself about Japanese war crimes, when they don’t cover it in public school.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZsfTWqqKKM

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

SSY is a horror story about having to teach yourself about Japanese war crimes, when they don’t cover it in public school.

It doesn’t even have to be that specific. It’s about learning you’re one of the privileged and your whole position was built upon and is maintained by the mass suffering of others. I don’t know how you could possibly compare it to 12K.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I guess my feeling is that if a story relies on its message and/or plot twist above all else, they need to be something really interesting/compelling. I don't think that "our society is bad and the people we're oppressing are fundamentally just like us" is exceptionally. interesting as a message on its own. Either way, I don't even think SSY is even remotely bad (it's definitely a "higher-tier" anime and its "message" is good by anime standards) - I just don't think it's meaningfully better than something like 12 Kingdoms (and it first came up in that context, despite being a kind of bizarre comparison - if I were to compare SSY with something, it'd be a show like Haibane Renmei, or even another relatively "high brow" thing like Lain).

12 Kingdoms doesn't have anything exceptionally deep about its plot, but it's fun getting to know it's various characters and their stories. As a basic personal thing, I like how one of the main protagonist's "personal revelations" is simply "whether people are lovely to me doesn't need to control how I behave towards them." It's a very simple thing, but one that is still a meaningful personal development for the character in question. If the show has any specific thesis, it seems to be "even if the world sucks, you can still be kind to the people around you."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

galagazombie posted:

It doesn’t even have to be that specific. It’s about learning you’re one of the privileged and your whole position was built upon and is maintained by the mass suffering of others. I don’t know how you could possibly compare it to 12K.

SSY goes a lot further than that, because the protagonists aren’t just members of the imperial core who have accepted their role in the process of exploitation, they’re also the targets of revolutionary violence. more than that, the monsters who are trying to destroy society and the protagonists are also proven to be in the right and acting rationally in the pursuit of their own liberation.

the historical digressions are also adding context that the audience is aware of, but the characters never are: present conditions are the result of historical struggles which society would rather forget, because it directly undermines their constructed self-perception. every empire engages in historical revisionism, but this is based on a Japanese novel by a Japanese author. so it’s obvious what this is allegorical to.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Last couple of episodes of the Nier Automata anime came out. Pretty good, looking forward to next season.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the original Hellsing manga collections are on big time sale so I grabbed them, having never read it before. I remember back when I was young and went to the anime mid Atlantic con every year between 2002-2006 Hellsing was one of the really big ones that usually had a screening room, lots of merchandise and cosplay, etc. I was curious how it had aged since some of the anime from that era, even goofy shonen stuff like Moby Dick In Space, has held up pretty well and isn’t replete with annoying tropes/problematic content. Anyway it seems like Hellsing is pretty lighthearted and broadly treats western governments like utterly incompetent figureheads at the mercy of secret organizations. it’s also very funny that the Vampire Rules for the world dictate that anyone who isn’t a virgin that gets bitten by a vampire turns into a mindless ghoul, sincerely hoping that doesn’t produce the aforementioned problematic dynamics down the road

Ed: yeah it’s a bit sillier and tropier than I anticipated but the painstakingly rendered equipment and fun action make up for it a bit. also kinda weird how they hunt vampires on behalf of British imperial institutions

Frog Act has issued a correction as of 23:46 on Jul 25, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

DMCrimson posted:

They really captured the art perfectly

Turns out the secret to making a Junji Ito adaptation look good was to just keep it black and white

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Frog Act posted:

the original Hellsing manga collections are on big time sale so I grabbed them, having never read it before. I remember back when I was young and went to the anime mid Atlantic con every year between 2002-2006 Hellsing was one of the really big ones that usually had a screening room, lots of merchandise and cosplay, etc. I was curious how it had aged since some of the anime from that era, even goofy shonen stuff like Moby Dick In Space, has held up pretty well and isn’t replete with annoying tropes/problematic content. Anyway it seems like Hellsing is pretty lighthearted and broadly treats western governments like utterly incompetent figureheads at the mercy of secret organizations. it’s also very funny that the Vampire Rules for the world dictate that anyone who isn’t a virgin that gets bitten by a vampire turns into a mindless ghoul, sincerely hoping that doesn’t produce the aforementioned problematic dynamics down the road

Ed: yeah it’s a bit sillier and tropier than I anticipated but the painstakingly rendered equipment and fun action make up for it a bit. also kinda weird how they hunt vampires on behalf of British imperial institutions

The Hellsing organization is a british PROTESTANT vampire hunting organization very important, saving catholics isnt their bag

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the thing you have to get about hellsing is that every major player, the ostensible good guys included, is run by violently insane fanatics. once you understand this everything makes a lot more sense

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Darth Walrus posted:

That's part of the hook, but it's really (premise spoilers) The Count of Monte Cristo wearing the skin of the Harry Potter franchise.

I wasn't originally gonna watch it, but this did convince me and it's actually really loving good. It's like Harry Potter if Harry Potter was actually good, all the protagonists were likeable, and there was a hint of intrigue simmering under the surface. There are even plot beats that feel like they were set up specifically to dunk on Harry Potter's writing, which has been entertaining. My only complaint is that only three episodes are out so far and the show is incredibly moreish

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

the thing you have to get about hellsing is that every major player, the ostensible good guys included, is run by violently insane fanatics. once you understand this everything makes a lot more sense

that sounds like a good qualifier to what I’ve seen of the round table or whatever so far, I’m glad the general tone which seems to be a sort of unironic long way to Tipperary via-secondhand-translated books is eventually qualified a little bit

Popy posted:

The Hellsing organization is a british PROTESTANT vampire hunting organization very important, saving catholics isnt their bag

yeah I really didn’t expect all the Northern Ireland Catholic/Protestant troubles stuff but I’m really enjoying it. the whole thing is kinda profoundly stupid but there’s something enjoyable about the Japanese perspective on western history and legend which renders the accents so strangely and doesn’t quite get all the details right. that combined with the meticulously rendered weapons and exceptional fight scenes is making it a fun read but it’s definitely pulp

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Frog Act posted:

that sounds like a good qualifier to what I’ve seen of the round table or whatever so far, I’m glad the general tone which seems to be a sort of unironic long way to Tipperary via-secondhand-translated books is eventually qualified a little bit

yeah I really didn’t expect all the Northern Ireland Catholic/Protestant troubles stuff but I’m really enjoying it. the whole thing is kinda profoundly stupid but there’s something enjoyable about the Japanese perspective on western history and legend which renders the accents so strangely and doesn’t quite get all the details right. that combined with the meticulously rendered weapons and exceptional fight scenes is making it a fun read but it’s definitely pulp

Are you saying that Pope Francis isn’t secretly building an army made up of Blasphemous cosplayers as part of a centuries long plot to execute the royal family and forcibly reconvert England to Roman Catholicism? Don’t be so naive.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It really feels like one of those stories that could only be written from the outside looking in because an Englishman who cared enough about the Anglican Church to depict it in this way would definitely be a reactionary freak.

I’m also reading Golden Kamuy at the same time, which I’m really enjoying and has taught me a lot, so it’s a fun contrast comparing the ways the two series use history and nationality - one as a shallow series of aesthetics to cram together into something fun as hell and the other doing legitimate scholarly background research and collaborating with professors of Ainu studies to produce something that is enjoyable in a very different way. feels like there weren’t many anime/manga series like that when I was a kid and Hellsing was contemporary and kinda emblematic of the tone of most popular anime of the era, so it’s interesting and edifying to see something with such a prosaic setting and absence of typical action sequence type stuff become so popular

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
It feels like they don’t put Catholic stuff in anime much anymore and that’s a shame.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It feels like they don’t put Catholic stuff in anime much anymore and that’s a shame.

Vatican Miracle Examiner aired in 2017, and there was honestly nowhere to go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wrong thread