Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

breaking news

i was observing a sheep paddock with new lambs and a guardian alpaca. one of the lambs went up to the alpaca and they gently booped noses

gently caress yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

made in abyss was an initially interesting series but then as I recall the author turned out to be a rather unrepentant paedophile and suddenly his series about a little girl going on an adventure became a lot more worrying

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Does anyone have knowledge of any individuals who advocate for lowering the age of consent AND openly argue masks are child abuse? I heard an age of consent hot take so bad today that I had to imagine someone even worse existing already. I swear this is probably even a multiple choice answer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I can't say for sure because I don't actively seek out their terrible ideas but I'm guessing the usual libertarians square that circle, and also claim that trans healthcare is also child abuse even if it's just puberty blockers, presumably because they're furious that puberty blockers don't actively prevent the kids from getting older

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Had a dream that I learned how to do the Akira bike slide and was just riding around doing that

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

I can't say for sure because I don't actively seek out their terrible ideas but I'm guessing the usual libertarians square that circle, and also claim that trans healthcare is also child abuse even if it's just puberty blockers, presumably because they're furious that puberty blockers don't actively prevent the kids from getting older

if you're curious, there are two main lines of argument by libertarian bigots.

the first and most common, shared with terfs and other mainstream conservatives, is that kids are being pressured and rushed into medicalization by "woke" parents and profit-seeking doctors. it's supposedly either munchausen's by proxy or big pharma padding the bottom line or both. either way, the unspoken assumption is that the kids don't want to transition and will eventually regret it when they come to their senses. (the kids who do speak up, the very low rates of regret/desistance, and the fact that almost all HRT drugs are generics used off-label are all no obstacle, since none of this is based on facts anyway.)

the second, mainly seen with the occasional transphobic libertarian that is not hopelessly addicted to culture war poo poo, is that it's malpractice, and medical malpractice is a violation of the NAP, either in the specific case of minors or just in general.

the puberty blocker thing is a pretty common "groomer" conspiracy theory, too, tbh. the fact that that's not how HRT works is generally not much of an obstacle.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Y2K and Limp Bizkit nostalgia are no longer punchlines.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1683512388312604676

JNCOs are back too.

quote:

Among her favorite pieces are JNCO jeans and Tripp NYC pants. (“The bigger the jeans, the better!” she said.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
just imagine me doing the Steve Carell "no!" gif from the office

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Everything about that article is amazing and horrifying.

The fact that they have people my age talking about bringing their 19-year old kids to the Korn show to bond over the music they listened to as a kid is somehow the most grim reminder of mortality that I have seen in a while.

The 19-year olds who think 2000 was the height of civilization and describing the early 2000's as "a different era" are killing me.

quote:

Renee Dyer, 19, fell in love with nu metal fashion before the music. She doesn’t think a person needs to dress a certain way to be considered a fan, but her clothing choices are heavily inspired by nu metal. “It makes me feel as though I’m living in that era,” said Ms. Dyer, a retail associate who lives in Toronto.

This might also be my favorite sentence ever written in the New York Times:

quote:

Nu metal’s embrace of shock value led to a plethora of theatrical antics, such as when Mr. Durst blew up a boat live on MTV.

I remember when Mr. Durst blew up that boat. Those halcyon days.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The fact that they have people my age talking about bringing their 19-year old kids to the Korn show to bond over the music they listened to as a kid is somehow the most grim reminder of mortality that I have seen in a while.

The 19-year olds who think 2000 was the height of civilization and describing the early 2000's as "a different era" are killing me.

the 80s were like this for decades so it's not really shocking

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
you're not old when the things you liked as a teenager are retro now. that's just being an adult, and a reminder to schedule a colonoscopy.

you're old when the first thing you can remember being too old to understand is retro. that's when you're old.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

the 80s were like this for decades so it's not really shocking

Every decade has some nostalgia and the big successful things from that decade stick around. But, Nu Metal is such a weird one and not what I would describe as the biggest cultural force of the late 90's and early 2000's.

The equivalent would be if the 80's nostalgia included millions of kids begging their parents to take them to Snow concerts and wearing all your clothes backwards became the height of fashion in 2010.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Every decade has some nostalgia and the big successful things from that decade stick around. But, Nu Metal is such a weird one and not what I would describe as the biggest cultural force of the late 90's and early 2000's

what they're describing as a nu metal revival is also following and blending with an emo revival. but at this point it's too soon to be nostalgic for, say, jay-z or kanye. you can't revive things until after they end.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

gently caress, i'm not going to try to do generation olympics and argue that the early 2000's were the worst time in living memory, but i can't imagine having nostalgia for them. the bush administration and the war in iraq and the general atmosphere of fear and anger after 9/11 was so terrible to live through

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

China's youth are only just now discovering career paths that MMORPGs and majoring in poetry made possible in America decades ago.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1683416909163659264

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

majoring in poetry

seems like part of the 00s nostalgia is being hopelessly boomer-brained about college majors

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
also are you just gonna keep posting random poo poo you saw on twitter, this is like the fourth time this week and "foreigners sure are wacky!" news of the weird is the worst one so far

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
everyone should be posting randomly all the time, this is the path to enlightenment

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I got in to bluesky and it's hilarious, because without conservative reactionaries to dunk on, it's just a never-ending more woke than thou circlejerk

discourses from the last two days

1: it's lovely to mock nft bros because there are some trans queer sex workers that make money with nfts

2: it's wrong to call elon musk an idiot because it's ableist

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Chill spaces are a dying fad, it's a shame.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Tree Reformat posted:

Chill spaces are a dying fad, it's a shame.

They are few.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

I got in to bluesky and it's hilarious, because without conservative reactionaries to dunk on, it's just a never-ending more woke than thou circlejerk

discourses from the last two days

1: it's lovely to mock nft bros because there are some trans queer sex workers that make money with nfts

2: it's wrong to call elon musk an idiot because it's ableist

it's perfect, all of the tender babies to mock and none of the right-wing reactionaries you have to half-heartedly defend them from

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

everybody right now just feels like they're fighting for their life, no matter who they are or how much danger they're actually in

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cease to Hope posted:

you're old when the first thing you can remember being too old to understand is retro. that's when you're old.

Uh oh

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Is this Barbie movie actually good? Or is it just familiarity with the brand and the crazy advertising push that was everywhere?

It's pulling close to Avengers-level amounts of people in its opening weekend and that is wild. The trailers don't even look especially amazing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

a strange fowl posted:

everybody right now just feels like they're fighting for their life, no matter who they are or how much danger they're actually in

they're fighting, alright. they're fighting against their own acute social media addiction. and they're losing, hard

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Is this Barbie movie actually good? Or is it just familiarity with the brand and the crazy advertising push that was everywhere?

It's pulling close to Avengers-level amounts of people in its opening weekend and that is wild. The trailers don't even look especially amazing.

i went and enjoyed it for the camp elements. the jokes are on point and the comedic acting from margo robbie and ryan gosling is good. was a fun way to spend a hot summer afternoon in overpowering ac

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i went and enjoyed it for the camp elements. the jokes are on point and the comedic acting from margo robbie and ryan gosling is good. was a fun way to spend a hot summer afternoon in overpowering ac

Why does there seem to be weird alt-right groups and feminist groups protesting/complaining about the movie? So they make some bold feminist/anti-feminist message?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ben Shapiro is like a modern Jim Davis - he is legitimately one of the funniest people around, but never for the reason he is intending.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1682831252506779654

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Why does there seem to be weird alt-right groups and feminist groups protesting/complaining about the movie? So they make some bold feminist/anti-feminist message?

current movies have excellent SEO and are heavily searched on youtube

there's a bunch of youtubers still on the X DESTROYS LIBERAL Y grift and the woke Star Wars/Marvel bit too

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

kinda? the main antagonist is ken after he gets redpilled in the real world, with him desperately grasping on a warped understanding of patriarchy (which doesn't exist in barbieland) as a way to lash out with his feeling of anger and shame because his only sense of worth comes from barbie's attention and she mostly ignores him. the secondary bumbling but not quite evil antagonist is mattel's board which is made up of clueless male executives who tell themselves that they're progressive and empowering young girls, but who want to put barbie into a box because it would be the quickest way to get her out of their hair and get back to running the corporation. none of this is resolved in a particularly cutting or thought provoking way though

it's kind of a weird experience, because the entire time it was on the periphery of my thought that suits at mattel had to sign off on the whole thing and were at that moment taking in a huge box office gross and probably a big spike in merch and toy sales. i don't have the intellectual rigor or background to analyze films, but i think at best from a feminist lens the movie is "okay", and i could completely see an argument that it's just a commercial product pretending to be thoughtful on women's issues. but the alt-right was always going to hate it because it's a film that focuses on a girls toy, even it was about how math is hard and we should make the boys a nice batch of strawberry ice cream it wouldn't be spotlighting men and thus unnacceptable

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
some goon pointed out that the movie felt like it was made by people who were very online, and in retrospect i have to agree (there's a snyderverse joke at some point), and i wonder how some of the plot points come across to someone who isn't constantly tuned into the discourse

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
From the above discussion it's certainly way, way better than a licensed Barbie film has any business being.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It just occurred to me that DVs av isnt an egg with a pair of glasses on but a real persons head.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

It just occurred to me that DVs av isnt an egg with a pair of glasses on but a real persons head.

mark proksch is very funny but i doubt the av was meant to be complimentary.

the what we do in the shadows tv show is good btw

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i entered a karate tournament when i was 10, i was a yellow belt, and they matched me against a kid who was a brown belt and at least fourteen. she beat the poo poo out of me, but i appreciate that she did it with a look on her face of deep regret. we were the only two entrants in our age group so i still got a trophy.

to complete the mental image, yes i was fat

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 26, 2023

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

sure but where can I put money on the outcome

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
american names ftl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure there's an :doink: SVU episode whose premise is an organized kid fight gone horribly wrong