Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tree Bucket posted:

Where's it from? It's excellent.

Prince Valiant 1958 (posted in the newspaper comic thread today/yesterday)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Tree Bucket posted:

Where's it from? It's excellent.

I don't know what specific strip it's from, but I know the work of Hal Foster when I see it

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Loki being Odin's son is a marvel invention. In the nordic myths Loki is a giant (what they call jotunn in the translation here for some reason), who is Odin's foster brother - a term the norse used to describe super-close manly man pals (no homo). Loki lives with the asar in Asgård, and is often counted among the norse gods. Utgårds-Loki is a giant who lives in Utgård ("The Outer Realm", lit. Out-Farm or Out-Court, home of the giants). They just happen to both be named Loki.

Also if this seems confusing, take comfort in the fact that it was probably confusing to storytellers then, too. Sometimes Loki and Utgards-Loki get conflated into the same entity, or events attributed to one are sometimes told of the other instead.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kennel posted:

:laffo: That is perfect av material

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Kennel posted:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Read "Crystal Corridors" (https://subhumanzoids.com/crystal-corridors/), nice little straightforward story of some competing pairs of treasure hunters, and "Slime" (https://subhumanzoids.com/2014/09/15/slime-1/) in which the world changes and a punk rocker with it, both by Joseph Luster. Not bad, the both of them.

eta: Also by the same author "Two of a Vine" (https://subhumanzoids.com/2014/10/01/two-of-a-vine-1-2/) which is "Bosom Buddies except with California Raisins" and I mean drat what a concept, also "HI HI! WE’RE YOUR WEATHER GIRLS!" (https://subhumanzoids.com/2014/07/30/rain-on-me/) which has the same protags but isn't as mush.

eta2: there were a bunch of sequels to "Two of a Vine" and well it wasn't for me.

fritz has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Jul 25, 2023

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Closeyoureyeslookatthemountains

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Excited for the return Canadian mall revolution comic!

Drakyn posted:

Kill demons

Perfection.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

MokBa posted:

Closeyoureyeslookatthemountains

Lovvvvveeeee

Also lol at sans undertale

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mr. Sunshine posted:

In the nordic myths Loki is a giant (what they call jotunn in the translation here for some reason)

Jötunn is the standard English nomenclature for giants from Norse mythology. I think there was a whole scholarly kerfuffle about it, but I've never cared enough to learn the details.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Last time, in Vigils for Friends:

Today, we discover the power of friendship!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Jötunn is the standard English nomenclature for giants from Norse mythology. I think there was a whole scholarly kerfuffle about it, but I've never cared enough to learn the details.

Well the simplest reason to call them that rather than giants is that they aren't actually exceptionally large most of the time

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Regy Rusty posted:

Well the simplest reason to call them that rather than giants is that they aren't actually exceptionally large most of the time

It's also really more of a peninsula.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Regy Rusty posted:

that's probably part of it yeah

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Jötunn is the name for Jötunn, so named because they are Jötunn. At some point English speakers decided to translate them as giants because if you squint they vaguely resemble the Gigantes of Greek mythology in their role as a superhuman rival race to the gods.

The direct English cognate is ettin, which occasionally showed up in medieval English folklore for various monstrous humanoids of a generally largish size.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

oh, so they are Chojin

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance

End of chapter 25.

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated

Jesus Hirai, don't be such a creep. Also yeah, that's beer the kid is drinking. Says a little about her home life, doesn't it? Also hah, Master includes cops in his list of dangerous people.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

oh, so they are Chojin

:hmmyes: this guy gets it

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Can I just posit - even in the Glorious Communist Future, suffering will still exist, misunderstanding will still exist, death will still exist. Any philosophy of living needs to find a way of dealing with the problem of suffering and I'm not sure 'go shoot a landlord' should be the only solution on that list although I am enjoying imagining it.

That is to say, a philosophy that seeks to give people perspective in the face of suffering, that is sceptical of people who claim to have all the answers, that tries to find humour in life is not necessarily a dastardly bourgeois plot to numb the proletariat to the pain of their alienation and repress the people's revolution.

I mean, come on.

Also other people said it, but can we not make out like all 'Eastern' philosophy is mystical woo bullshit? It's a little more diverse than that.

CzarChasm posted:

It usually means that the words are breaking his heart or otherwise hurting him. "You're pathetic and so boring, I could never find myself dating a worm like you" kind of talk.

I know, I was making reference to the machine gun interjection ruining Takako's train of thought. Just reminded me of that, though of course more gentle in the Takako style.

By popular demand posted:

I'd like people's opinion on this:

Filters

No filters

Unfiltered, says I.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

THE MAN WHO HATED HIS SHADOW

ZHUANGZI SPEAKS 庄子说

LIKE A DRIFTING BOAT

SHATTERING THE DRAGON PEARL

The Saddest Rhino has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Jul 25, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

gently caress kings imo

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

the holy poopacy posted:

The direct English cognate is ettin, which occasionally showed up in medieval English folklore for various monstrous humanoids of a generally largish size.

oh I thought giant was the English cognate for jötunn, okay it makes a lot more sense now

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ZHUANGZI SPEAKS 庄子说

And which are you, Zhaungzi?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Filters

No filters

M_Gargantua posted:

I prefer filters

Emzedoh posted:

Unfiltered, says I.

I actually vote for the filter on only the second panel, but no filter on the third panel.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ditocoaf posted:

I actually vote for the filter on only the second panel, but no filter on the third panel.

That's good.
I'll take this into account as I keep coloring stuff.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

yeah i think filter in panel 2 only also helps the joke

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

Jötunn is the name for Jötunn, so named because they are Jötunn. At some point English speakers decided to translate them as giants because if you squint they vaguely resemble the Gigantes of Greek mythology in their role as a superhuman rival race to the gods.

It just comes off as weird to me because in modern swedish they're just called "jättar" - giants. It gives me the same vibes as when some weeabo translates a manga but leaves in a whole bunch of japanese terms.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kennel posted:

That just might be the perfect av.

Mr. Sunshine posted:

It just comes off as weird to me because in modern swedish they're just called "jättar" - giants. It gives me the same vibes as when some weeabo translates a manga but leaves in a whole bunch of japanese terms.

Yes, but that shows off how clever and knowledgeable they are.
It’s all according to keikaku.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Jul 25, 2023

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

the holy poopacy posted:

So you're saying they might be giants?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

And the dvergr are certainly dwarves.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I think generally if you want to use a modern English word with the most accurate connotations I'd go for "troll", unless the recipient has played more world of Warcraft than they should. Then I'd go back to ettin.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
We ettin good tonight boys oowee!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just realised one of the comics I posted lacked a second page, reposting here instead:

ZHUANGZI SPEAKS 庄子说

THE DRAGONSLAYER

the true tragedy... a gamer without games... the plight of the ps5-haver

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Emzedoh posted:

gently caress kings imo

A powerful person can and will reward or destroy you depending on their momentary whim if you catch their attention, an extremely evergreen lesson.

Also love Zhuangzi sitting on the dragon with the puppy.

Phosphine posted:

I think generally if you want to use a modern English word with the most accurate connotations I'd go for "troll", unless the recipient has played more world of Warcraft than they should. Then I'd go back to ettin.

lol the connotations of 'troll' in English are a way, way more confusing clusterfuck.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Saiyan

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Emzedoh posted:

gently caress kings imo

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Filters

No filters

No filters gets the idea across perfectly fine! Filters is a little too much imo.

EDIT:

I've been made a fool by not reading to the end of the thread because this suggestion is the best. VV

Ditocoaf posted:

Calexio has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Jul 25, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Valhalla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

E:

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Jul 25, 2023