Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
You've got to have a good break after Oppenheimer before the Barbie palette cleanser.

I looked into seeing Oppy on 15/70 IMAX a second time after seeing it on opening day, but out of the three screens in the UK showing it in that format, all of them are sold out for the next month (excluding maybe the 2-3 worst seats).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Carpet posted:

You've got to have a good break after Oppenheimer before the Barbie palette cleanser.

I looked into seeing Oppy on 15/70 IMAX a second time after seeing it on opening day, but out of the three screens in the UK showing it in that format, all of them are sold out for the next month (excluding maybe the 2-3 worst seats).

It's "palate" cleanser fwiw.

And I really need to book one of those Manchester Vue Oppenheimer 1570 tickets, maybe late August 9am, whatever

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would like to see both films, but the entire #barbenheimer thing is such a gross marketing scheme that they'll probably be out of theaters by the time I've washed the taste out if my mouth

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

feedmyleg posted:

I would like to see both films, but the entire #barbenheimer thing is such a gross marketing scheme that they'll probably be out of theaters by the time I've washed the taste out if my mouth

It made both movies double their box office. Theaters are alive.

What's gross about that again?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
ngl I don't really get this threads extreme distaste for memes like the Gentleminions and wearing pink to Barbie. Sure it's a silly Brand movie and there's no ethical consumption under capitalism but the movie is really just an excuse to do something fun.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Same. Save the ridicule for things like IT’S MORBIN TIME since you can point at the empty theaters and laugh at how that turned out. I think people are less made at the meme itself and more mad that the movie did well and so you can’t point and go SEE SEE IT DIDNT WORK

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

feedmyleg posted:

Go watch Ben Shapiro and then you’ll want to see it again

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I’m saving my marketing hate for the Qanon movie and the Scientology one

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

mycot posted:

ngl I don't really get this threads extreme distaste for memes like the Gentleminions and wearing pink to Barbie. Sure it's a silly Brand movie and there's no ethical consumption under capitalism but the movie is really just an excuse to do something fun.

AFAIK the Minions formal wear thing was just a meme that blew up, it's not like the Barbie vs Oppenheimer thing which is obviously heavily astroturfed. It hits differently when it's a transparent marketing ploy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

mycot posted:

ppl want to make sure other people know they are cool and smart and different and are not like the loving normie liberal sheeple. there's the same dynamic on almost every other board. just swap out the usernames and hobbies.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 24, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Barbieheimer was a blast to do. It’s not gross at all to go see two great films in the cinema

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the theater i went to see Oppenheimer at wasn't showing Barbie but they worked out a deal with another local theater where if you brought a ticket stub for Barbie from that theater or vice versa you got a free popcorn.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nightmare Cinema posted:

It made both movies double their box office. Theaters are alive.

What's gross about that again?

Gross meaning both "really big" and "total income"

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Jason David Frank has one more movie coming, Legend of the White Dragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk2hqhdvRpY

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Everyone keeps saying barbieheimer is astroturfed like how colleges totally have to give you straight A’s if your roommate kills themselves

The only thing I’ve seen that wasn’t a shitpost is when they bought each others tickets

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Jason David Frank has one more movie coming, Legend of the White Dragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk2hqhdvRpY

Would I have laughed at this if he were still alive? Yeah, probably, but in an affectionate way because he was a fun guy who should have been able to enjoy himself.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I AM GRANDO posted:

he was a fun guy who should have been able to enjoy himself.

Like by being so homophobic he drove the blue ranger into depression?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

GrandpaPants posted:

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was people playing a game of telephone with the actual story.

IIRC it was the production crew that was homophobic towards David Yost, not JDF.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Was that him? I thought it was the producers.

E: f,b

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuoProQuid posted:

ppl want to make sure other people know they are cool and smart and different and are not like the loving normie liberal sheeple. there's the same dynamic on almost every other board. just swap out the usernames and hobbies.

And shouldn't be surprising these people have no concept of levity.

Really, Barbieheimer seems like a refreshing contrast to what it mighta been a few decades ago where you'd have an awful battle of the sexes, instead people are having fun with the contrast and how people can and do enjoy different types and tones of entertainment. Same thing with Animal Crossing and Doom Eternal.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Vandar posted:

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was people playing a game of telephone with the actual story.

IIRC it was the production crew that was homophobic towards David Yost, not JDF.

Well drat, apologies to JDF then and shame on me for not googling first.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I started to hear chat from film Twitter-adjacent types about doing a Barbie/Oppenheimer double feature as soon as it was announced the two movies would open on the same date. Hell I recall tweeting something like that myself. I'm sure the studios probably did some work to pump this up but it seems like there was also a base of genuine enthusiasm. (Like it helped that movie buffs were probably interested in Oppenheimer bc Nolan, but were probably also interested in Barbie because there was so much acclaim for Greta Gerwig's last film.)

I mean marketing is part of it in that Barbie was genuinely well marketed, more so than a LOT of movies these days. Like sure it has a brand people recognize but it doesn't feel like they fell back on that as readily as, say, "here's Michael Keaton saying 'I'm Batman'!"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, reports are coming out about Barbie having a 150 million marketing budget (i.e. higher than the actual movie) and they managed to make it a lot less obnoxious than all the Flash crap and flat out bribing people to call it "BEST SHPER HERO MOVIE EVER" on Twitter and expect all their IP vomit to do the rest.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

goons in general get mad at memes which is why we're only allowed to have weird inscrutable ones normies won't understand and the moment they do IT'S OVER

especially the CSPAM ones

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Barbie played into the absurdity of the premise both in marketing and in the movie, and it worked great. Oppenheimer also kept to the tone and played the premise straight. Both movies have immense and clear confidence in their premise with no need to undercut it, and people recognise that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alan Smithee posted:

goons in general get mad at memes which is why we're only allowed to have weird inscrutable ones normies won't understand and the moment they do IT'S OVER

especially the CSPAM ones

Doesn’t stop them from referencing dril tweets two or three times per page.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Director $200
Writer $150
Actor $800
Marketing $3,600
VFX $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my movie studio is dying

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Spend less on marketing

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

Spend less on marketing

Spend more on producers!

It's in the name they produce things, who knows what all the other people do!!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The Regal Mystery movie yesterday was Gran Turismo and it was actually pretty solid. The audience was really into it, which maybe bodes well for its actual release. People were clapping and poo poo at points in the movie where that would be appropriate. Felt like there were some weird editing/scene structure choices that took me out a little bit, and the racing isn't as well staged as Ford v Ferrari but overall a solid flick.

Hope this propels Neill Blomkamp back into the gritty sci fi exploding flesh bags movie universe.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Grendels Dad posted:

Spend less on marketing

No

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I don't really care if Boppenheimer is "artroturfed" or not, because it's just promoting the abstract concept of a double-feature. Cinema!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I loving hate when The Man tries to trick me into going to the movies

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

one year as a birthday present to myself i did a double feature of rush and gravity, which ruled

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nobody actually "wants" to "have fun" at "the movies", that is capitalist propaganda. There were no movies in the Soviet Union for just that reason.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I probably would have done the double feature thing if Oppenheimer weren't three hours long

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Nobody actually "wants" to "have fun" at "the movies", that is capitalist propaganda. There were no movies in the Soviet Union for just that reason.

Andrei Tarkovsky would beg to differ.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Byzantine posted:

That one about the guy who goes to the wrong apartment is pretty fun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
idk I don't think it's weird to not want to openly celebrate consumerist culture. I wanna watch movies because they're my favorite artform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You can enjoy a little bit of consumerism, as a treat.