Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I have a feeling there will be more this half...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Uh oh

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Morocco are v.bad.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh...oh no

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lawd

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

9 minutes stoppage in a 6-0 game is loving cruel

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Oh jesus just end it

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

goal difference for the goal difference gods

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Brazil looking pretty good so far, feels v ominous for Panama

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And the dam breaks.

God drat it felt like that cross hung in the air for an eternity and Panama still couldn't get anyone on it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The score flatters Panama. Brazil look legit.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
yeah Brazil have been phenomenal, their press is outstanding and the technical interplay in tight spaces has been excellent (unlike a lot of teams so far that struggle when the ball is under pressure). They could be up by 3-4 at this point.

Feel sorry for Panama, but they're way outclassed here - have they even had a touch in the final third?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sick goal

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
God please stop showing that poor Panama guy lol

Brutal

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

artistic. give Adriana a bonus on the spot.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
who knew Brazil were good at football

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Big "win it for Marta" energy should carry them quite far

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Marta time

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Italy won a game :unsmith:

For real though, I was worried that missing Sara Gama would show a lack of any sort of continuity in the defense but I guess not, at least against the second tier of opponents. Also kind of surprised that Durante got the start over Giuliani in goal, but from the highlights it looks like there wasn’t any sort of downgrade involved.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
6-0 is a paddlin, but it's still not the biggest win at a World Cup in the past year. I'll be pretty happy if no team ships seven like Costa Rica did to Spain last fall. Definitely starting to see some of the perils of the 32 team field, though.

OTOH, England barely scraped a win and France started with a draw against Haiti and Jamaica respectively, so perhaps everyone else just needs to get on CONCACAF's level.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Word has it that both Caroline Graham Hansen and Ingrid Syrstad Engen have been sidelined for tomorrows match against Switzerland. Syrstad Engen makes a little sense considering her awful numbers after the New Zealand game where she had a passer rating of 55% on her 48 passes.

Minutes, number of passes, successful passes, passes on the last third of the pitch, successful passes on the last third, wrong passes on own half, wrong passes on opposition half.

But it's not like the other midfielders had anything close to a decent game though, with around the same numbers for Maanum and Reiten. CGH did struggle in the previous game and honestly I've blanked it from my mind already, but I'd say its more because of the midfield being non-existent than it is any lack of effort from her side.

My conspiratorial side says she's struggling mentally in the team after she stuck by the previous coach after the loss to Poland before the Euros, and the England game during. She's a very loyal player and she gets a lot of media attention and bears the brunt of the criticism for defending coaches/players, and she took a few months off after the Euros which was played off as her needing a break after a tough season, but I think it had more to do with her mental state than physical. And she asked to be isolated after the New Zealand game saying she had a sore throat and took a few days off practicing by herself instead of with the team.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Grimson posted:

Word has it that both Caroline Graham Hansen and Ingrid Syrstad Engen have been sidelined for tomorrows match against Switzerland. Syrstad Engen makes a little sense considering her awful numbers after the New Zealand game where she had a passer rating of 55% on her 48 passes.

Minutes, number of passes, successful passes, passes on the last third of the pitch, successful passes on the last third, wrong passes on own half, wrong passes on opposition half.

But it's not like the other midfielders had anything close to a decent game though, with around the same numbers for Maanum and Reiten. CGH did struggle in the previous game and honestly I've blanked it from my mind already, but I'd say its more because of the midfield being non-existent than it is any lack of effort from her side.

My conspiratorial side says she's struggling mentally in the team after she stuck by the previous coach after the loss to Poland before the Euros, and the England game during. She's a very loyal player and she gets a lot of media attention and bears the brunt of the criticism for defending coaches/players, and she took a few months off after the Euros which was played off as her needing a break after a tough season, but I think it had more to do with her mental state than physical. And she asked to be isolated after the New Zealand game saying she had a sore throat and took a few days off practicing by herself instead of with the team.

yeah the midfield was just a complete shambles and disorganised, which left the defense constantly out of position and the attacking players unable to do much of anything except try and chase balls around. i actually thought most of the defenders had an ok game, they just had too much to do and nowhere to put the ball when they were trying to develop the game. CGH was one of a very few norwegian players who acquitted herself tolerably and looked a bit dangerous on the ball, so i expect that there's some drama or illness involved if she's gone from the starting lineup

the new zealand game was enormously feel-bad, though, and could very possibly have caused some seriously bad vibes in the dressing room

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 24, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

i had forgotten pia sundhage was coaching brazil

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Posting from the stadium. Have hype!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

wtg Philippines

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Good elbow drop there, 4/5 stars

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
I don't like how this is going!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If the Philippines hang on then the final matchday for this group could be Real Spicy.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
honestly some of the best action I’ve seen all tournament

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

GOOOOOAAAAALLLLL

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Nooooooooo

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

gently caress off

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lmao no loving way

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Wtf

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I still don’t see it

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
THAT being offside is an offence to the sport. Criminal officiating.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
They showed it on the screen and it wasn't offside??

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

britishbornandbread posted:

THAT being offside is an offence to the sport. Criminal officiating.

It really is an absolutely worthless addition to the sport

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

a real chump posted:

It really is an absolutely worthless addition to the sport

I’ve tried to be as much of a proponent of VAR as much as possible but it’s become indefensible. I’ve not seen anything as embarrassing as that in the men’s game, but were someone to be offside by a millimetre of a shoulder in a crucial European-based game, there’d be riots.

The worry now is that the genie is out of the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

This is brutal.