Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I also hate how they reset Fry and Leela yet again.
It's like the writers just can't write them.as a couple.

Episode was definitely in the lower range quality wise.

Oh my god, for real? I'm doing a rewatch and just got through Lars. I was really hoping they weren't going to do it again again again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Why does everyone think Fry and Leela are reset? I don't remember anything in the episode that suggested that

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

yeah I just watched it and I have no idea why people think they reset them.

anyways I was dreading this but it actually wasn't too bad. honestly seemed a bit better than most of the comedy central stuff but maybe that's because I haven't seen any of those since they aired. some of the episode premises sound really bad though so we'll see I guess

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OldSenileGuy posted:

Why does everyone think Fry and Leela are reset? I don't remember anything in the episode that suggested that

That part seemed fine enough to me yeah

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Leela spends the whole episode trying to be a supportive girlfriend. Not sure where the "reset" idea is coming from.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

PostNouveau posted:

Leela spends the whole episode trying to be a supportive girlfriend. Not sure where the "reset" idea is coming from.

She consistently refers to Fry as her friend in the episode, could be why.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I didn't see any full penetration with Fry and Leela so I can only assume they are platonic once again again.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Super Deuce posted:

She consistently refers to Fry as her friend in the episode, could be why.

But Amy’s joke about Kif’s single friend wouldn’t make sense if Leela wasn’t dating Fry.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

The Awesomesaurus posted:

But Amy’s joke about Kif’s single friend wouldn’t make sense if Leela wasn’t dating Fry.

I'm not saying I think they reset it, just they did have Leela calling Fry "friend" the whole episode, which I think could be why people are convinced of it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It was okaayyyy, but it did feel off to me. The revival episodes, while a mixed bag and a LOT of clunkers, still had the right energy to them. This felt very tired to me, through the pacing, animation, voice acting, and low effort jokes, it all just seemed very "going through the motions" and like they really don't want to be doing this anymore.

But maybe it'll get better, it was the first one in 10 years and all.

Someone mentioned the Animaniacs reboot, and if you haven't seen that, it's delightful and you could tell they were giving it their all.

Steiv
Oct 16, 2005

Sweet Jesus it's the fabled Mardi Gras Cat-bird!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

it all just seemed very "going through the motions"

Gotta disagree; my wife and I watched the first new episode and laughed our butts off. I feel like the first (2008) reboot was dreck that was focused on "monkey cheese" humor. They didn't quite get what made Futurama Futurama. This one seemed to understand what made the original run wonderful. Admittedly, there were too many "timely" jokes re: Hulu, streaming, whatever, but I felt like there was a return to non-meme humor.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Steiv posted:

Gotta disagree; my wife and I watched the first new episode and laughed our butts off. I feel like the first (2008) reboot was dreck that was focused on "monkey cheese" humor. They didn't quite get what made Futurama Futurama. This one seemed to understand what made the original run wonderful. Admittedly, there were too many "timely" jokes re: Hulu, streaming, whatever, but I felt like there was a return to non-meme humor.

enh I mean The Late Phillip J. Fry is honestly a strong contender for best episode in the whole series, that was a reboot episode.

or Prisoner of Benda. If proving a new mathematical theorem isn't Futurama then I don't know what is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The episode from the reboot where Fry becomes a cop briefly has one of my favorite ever lines.

"Poor Smitty, he was 2 days away from retirement. Then he took early retirement."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That felt like an actual Futurama episode to me. Not hilarious, but not like the worst of the zombie seasons.

I am not sad that I watched it, which is honestly more than I was expecting to say about it.

Certainly funnier than every episode of Disenchantment put together, but that's not saying much.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

how many times are we going to do "those drat network executives" jokes? Hopefully this is the last time. Also got a kick out of Leela musing about the dilemma with Fry and trying to get Hermes to do it instead "oh no, you're not foisting that girlfriend duty onto ME"

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Chairman Capone posted:

I did laugh at the robot comedian clip, and the little dig at the Twilight Zone reboot, not that Futurama really has any high ground there.

I thought it was a dig on Black Mirror, seeing as every episode is about current tech but amped up 1000%.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/futurama-john-dimaggio-bender-salary-1235677962/
Oof, turns out John DiMaggio didn't actually get the pay raise he was asking for.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/futurama-john-dimaggio-bender-salary-1235677962/
Oof, turns out John DiMaggio didn't actually get the pay raise he was asking for.

I would have been surprised. It sounded like the cast didn't talk to each other about it and everyone but him took the first offer.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It was okaayyyy, but it did feel off to me. The revival episodes, while a mixed bag and a LOT of clunkers, still had the right energy to them. This felt very tired to me, through the pacing, animation, voice acting, and low effort jokes, it all just seemed very "going through the motions" and like they really don't want to be doing this anymore.

But maybe it'll get better, it was the first one in 10 years and all.

Someone mentioned the Animaniacs reboot, and if you haven't seen that, it's delightful and you could tell they were giving it their all.

Beavis and Butthead will forever be the king of the animated reboots with how amazing it's been since it's return, way above the original series in every way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat network executives

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

DiMaggio still speaks with pride as he recalls his fight: “When you’re David with a sling and you’re standing up to Goliath, you try to do what you can to get your side heard. I think I did.”

It's a David and Goliath story. You know the one where David and Goliath have a frank exchange of views and David gives up because the Israelites cheered loudly enough?

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

It's especially annoying because I'm sure many like me were under the impression that he did get a better deal. I don't necessarily think a consumer boycott would be a good move, but for those who wanted to now they might be watching the show thinking that them speaking up helped somehow.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Gromit posted:

I thought it was a dig on Black Mirror, seeing as every episode is about current tech but amped up 1000%.

It's 100% a dig of Black Mirror. It was changed from The Scary Door to The Scary Mirror for a reason.

You mean the law firm with a side hustle of entertainment crushed a voice actor's attempt at a pay raise? I'm shocked, SHOCKED...actually, not that shocked.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought it was a send up of Night Gallery but I guess Black Mirror makes more sense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ruddiger posted:

I thought it was a send up of Night Gallery but I guess Black Mirror makes more sense.

You thought "the scary mirror" was a reference to a TV show from 50 years ago and not a current show with mirror in the name?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It took me too long to realize "Plaid Programing" on the TV Guide was a riff of "Paid Programming" :ohdear:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

You thought "the scary mirror" was a reference to a TV show from 50 years ago and not a current show with mirror in the name?

Rod Serling was in the twilight zone and the night gallery, plus I’m an old geezer who falls asleep while watching ME-TV, cut me some slack.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
They also riffed on the Black Mirror intro with the constant glass breaking and the long beep sound

Although I've seen every ep of BM so I picked up on it immediately

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm gonna say it wasn't very good. I think the second fix would have made more sense to come up with first and him having left the suit already two days before but nobody had noticed or said anything felt kinda blah.
Bit late stage Simpsons sort of a resolution.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taear posted:

I'm gonna say it wasn't very good. I think the second fix would have made more sense to come up with first and him having left the suit already two days before but nobody had noticed or said anything felt kinda blah.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure they've made that joke a few times

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Taear posted:

Yeah, I'm sad to say this but it has a very season 20-30 Simpsons vibe, they might be doing their best but the magic just isn't there. Diminishing returns have hit this show hard.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

RBA Starblade posted:

On the other hand I'm pretty sure they've made that joke a few times

I rewatched RELATIVELY recently (in 2021) so it's kinda fresh to me, it was the first time I saw the newer episodes even.
Not saying other episodes haven't got bad resolutions but that felt extra bad

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised. My only issue is that Billy West's Phillip J Fry sounds a little on the painfully old side.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It is really weird to learn that Billy West is in his 70's.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Super Deuce posted:

I'm not saying I think they reset it, just they did have Leela calling Fry "friend" the whole episode, which I think could be why people are convinced of it.

Oh yeah, I didn’t think you were saying it personally, I was just musing about the people who think they are somehow aren’t in a relationship anymore.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
It was slightly awkward when Leela said "our friend," but they openly called Leela his girlfriend, and the whole episode was based around her actually being supportive of Fry's stupid goal which she never did as his friend.

Anyway, the episode was in line with median CC episodes quality wise. Not memorable, but not offensive either. It'll be interesting to see what they have beyond the initial Groening taking the piss episode.

I lol'ed at the quick "PC crowd" gag.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Sardonik posted:

Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised. My only issue is that Billy West's Phillip J Fry sounds a little on the painfully old side.

Hugely distracting for me too, Fry and Professor Farnsworth sound very similar to me now. Phil LaMarr as Hermes sounded hella off too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Blind Pineapple posted:

the whole episode was based around her actually being supportive of Fry's stupid goal which she never did as his friend.

I guess she finally learned to stop being a fool. A perfectly reasonable, justified fool!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sardonik posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

J., Philip I Fry