Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Any must buy DLC for Odyssey? Been waiting for this deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The season pass is more story content and the Gold Edition comes with it at about half the cost of buying it separately from the main game, but I recall people disliking what it makes Kassandra do.

Orv
May 4, 2011

tripwood posted:

The game is so massive that you can easily get way too much time out if it without any of the DLC. Fate of Atlantis had a really cool area with some fun, if not terribly accurate, Greek mythology stuff but even that is just so much more poo poo on top of an already immense game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They had the opportunity to give Kassandra a love interest and they made him bland and boring.

That's pretty much the root of what people didn't like about the Odyssey DLC.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

tripwood posted:

Odyssey rules and Kassandra is the best. The Fate of Atlantis DLC is good but the game itself is already so hugely packed that I'd recommend waiting till you finish the main game and decide if you still want to play more. Do NOT get Legacy of the First Blade, it's loving awful and quite frankly deeply insulting.... and that's the "better" edited version I played after the initial release got such enormous pushback.

Edit: the game forces a husband onto Kassandra and makes her retire from adventuring and have a baby, completely ignoring whether she has been played as gay or straight, ignoring anything she did in the main game in relation to her family, and included some really, really, really tone deaf achievement names around her "love" and having a kid that pissed off a hell of a lot of people. That's bad enough, but the "love interest" is also a complete Milhouse of a character, utterly devoid of any charm, personality or interest and so anything involving Kassandra's emotional reactions to him just fall completely flat.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 25, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Trucker Hat posted:

THE NINJA WARRIORS ONCE AGAIN IS GETTING A STEALTH RELEASE LATER TODAY

I was obsessed with this game when it came out on Switch in 2019, and always found it weird that it never came on Steam. No mention of pricing but if it's anything like Wild Guns Reloaded and Pocky and Rocky (USD $30 at launch), will probably be a bit too much for an impulse purchase.

It's a A plus love letter remake

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
AC Odyssey was great and gay Kassandra is the best AC protag.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Upsidads posted:

It's a A plus love letter remake

And currently US$17.99 which...not bad!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm guessing that it plays just like any classic beat'em up?
Streets of Rage 4 kind of ruined the rest of the genre by being way too good with a bunch of amazing modern changes to some of the classic mechanics.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jack Trades posted:

I'm guessing that it plays just like any classic beat'em up?
Streets of Rage 4 kind of ruined the rest of the genre by being way too good with a bunch of amazing modern changes to some of the classic mechanics.
Nah it's an older style single plane beat-em-up from before Vigilante created the modern belt scroller. Think Kung Fu Master. So there's no moving up and down, just left and right, duck and jump.

It's really good but on the SNES it was a rental you could beat in a day and then beat again with another character in 2 days. With the remake you have 5 characters to beat the game with instead of 3 so there's more value but much like Wild Guns Reloaded this is still a remake of a relatively easy SNES game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honestly, assuming all other factors are equal, I prefer fully 2D brawlers to the belt-scrolling kind because the latter tend to have problems with the vertical plane where if you're slightly off-center from your intended target you'll whiff a full combo and they'll still be able to hit you. It's a problem even in the "good" brawlers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The one teeny tiny saving grace of the bad Odyssey DLC is mama bear Kassandra. Shame about literally everything else including the painfully predictable reason for said spoiler and the fact that it's like, one scene worth of good character stuff in exchange for complete character derailment.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Odyssey rules and Kassandra is the best. The Fate of Atlantis DLC is good but the game itself is already so hugely packed that I'd recommend waiting till you finish the main game and decide if you still want to play more. Do NOT get Legacy of the First Blade, it's loving awful and quite frankly deeply insulting.... and that's the "better" edited version I played after the initial release got such enormous pushback.

Edit: the game forces a husband onto Kassandra and makes her retire from adventuring and have a baby, completely ignoring whether she has been played as gay or straight, ignoring anything she did in the main game in relation to her family, and included some really, really, really tone deaf achievement names around her "love" and having a kid that pissed off a hell of a lot of people. That's bad enough, but the "love interest" is also a complete Milhouse of a character, utterly devoid of any charm, personality or interest and so anything involving Kassandra's emotional reactions to him just fall completely flat.

If they were going to do this the only way I would be on board is if it was Brasidas

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I prefer Assassin's Creed: Origins just for the fact that it promises to tell you all about the Origins of the Assassin's Creed and then it turns out your wife does it all off-screen while you're busy processing your feelings about your dead son and stabbing whoever the UI tells you to

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

I prefer Assassin's Creed: Origins just for the fact that it promises to tell you all about the Origins of the Assassin's Creed and then it turns out your wife does it all off-screen while you're busy processing your feelings about your dead son and stabbing whoever the UI tells you to
It does feature the origin of cutting a finger off to use the Hidden Blade.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

oh yeah - the compelling lore reason why they cut off their fingers to use the hidden blade is because the hidden blade was designed poorly and cuts off their finger if they don't!!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

oh yeah - the compelling lore reason why they cut off their fingers to use the hidden blade is because the hidden blade was designed poorly and cuts off their finger if they don't!!

Only if you skip the safety briefing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

The Assassins are, by and large, immense dumbasses.

Luckily their centuries long nemeses are not strictly dumbass but mostly incompetent.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
didn't super genius leonardo da vinki figure out the secret of "just put the blade somewhere else" to stop that from happening

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

didn't super genius leonardo da vinki figure out the secret of "just put the blade somewhere else" to stop that from happening

Yeah but I think the problem is that they practiced social distancing of a couple thousand years in between them at the time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah so now whenever someone after the AC2 timeline is missing a finger they’re either dumb as hell or did it for ritualistic reasons (cause they’re dumb as hell.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anyone here played Snipe Elite 5? How does it compare to 4?

I saw that it was on a pretty hefty discount and I remember enjoying SE4.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I didn't enjoy it as much as SE4, but I'm pretty sure the problem is me being old rather than the game being bad.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I read a lot of reviews saying there was too much pew pew and not enough snipe snipe

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sniper Elite 5 is good, but a step down from 4. The monastery level is a real standout, but other than that the levels are kind of boring to be honest.

Orv
May 4, 2011
SE5 is a better Splinter Cell game than it is a sniping game and if you’re willing to engage with it that way you can have a ton of fun with it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Orv posted:

SE5 is a better Splinter Cell game than it is a sniping game and if you’re willing to engage with it that way you can have a ton of fun with it.

Sounds tempting. At the current price I might as well give it a 2 hour try at least.

The Stealth genre has been practically dead for a couple of years now. At this point I'll take anything half-decent.
I don't even remember what the last good stealth game I played was other than Hitman 3.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 25, 2023

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AC Origins flows better because you can turn off enemy scaling, so that levelling up actually has a payoff, instead of making every dude in the game a bit thicker. Also, you can enter all of Origins DLC right after the tutorial part of the story, which breaks the timeline in amusing ways.
Plus, Chocobo camel.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Plus, Chocobo camel.

Oh my God that thing was cursed. I only ever used it twice, the first time to see what it looked like and immediately dismissing it because what the gently caress is that thing? The second time to show it to a friend who wept and demanded to know what the gently caress is that thing?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God that thing was cursed. I only ever used it twice, the first time to see what it looked like and immediately dismissing it because what the gently caress is that thing? The second time to show it to a friend who wept and demanded to know what the gently caress is that thing?

"It looks fine. Granted, I am only seeing everything above the legs in this picture. Let me just find a full sized one and OH SWEET JESUS WHY"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why does a game about fighting nazi's has non-lethal combat options?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Because there’s almost always something very tall you can throw the unconscious Nazi off

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

All this discussion about which AC game to get, meanwhile I log into my Ubi account for the first time in years to find that, while it hasn't been deleted yet, I no longer own Rayman Legends and AC: Black Flag. They're just... not there anymore.

gently caress Ubisoft.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MonkeyforaHead posted:

All this discussion about which AC game to get, meanwhile I log into my Ubi account for the first time in years to find that, while it hasn't been deleted yet, I no longer own Rayman Legends and AC: Black Flag. They're just... not there anymore.

gently caress Ubisoft.

This post worried me because after I logged in for the first time in who knows how long the other day, I only took a cursory look at the games. Looking again, I still have Black Flag (and Rayman Origins, I never had Legends) in my gamelist. Did you have them in your account originally via Steam which is how I got them, or did you get them through another store?

Orv
May 4, 2011
The account deletion thing isn’t actually a thing, gamers are morons.

As for the missing games if you haven’t logged in in years would you happen to still be using Uplay and not Ubisoft Connect? If you’re using the former, update and see if it fixes it, if you’re using the latter the transition broke a few people’s libraries and support should fix it if you care to bother.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Sounds tempting. At the current price I might as well give it a 2 hour try at least.

The Stealth genre has been practically dead for a couple of years now. At this point I'll take anything half-decent.
I don't even remember what the last good stealth game I played was other than Hitman 3.
Sniper Elite games have been moving from sniping to budget Metal Gear and it shows in 5; it's a lot harder to snipe whole bases and you don't get anywhere near as many safe sniping positions leading to a much more dynamic combat. That being said, sneaking around, putting mines on roads and blowing up stuff while Nazis run around panicking and getting stuck on level geometry is as fun as always.

I honestly think I enjoyed it more than 4, although the level design quality does drop off in the latter half.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I got Legends on Steam, Black Flag I must have gotten on Uplay directly because I remember they were running a Uplay-exclusive ridiculous discount or outright "just grab the game for free" promo of some sort. I was actually just logging in on the ubisoftconnect.com website instead of either client, but I guess I'll shoot a line to support and see where that gets me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I got Legends on Steam, Black Flag I must have gotten on Uplay directly because I remember they were running a Uplay-exclusive ridiculous discount or outright "just grab the game for free" promo of some sort. I was actually just logging in on the ubisoftconnect.com website instead of either client, but I guess I'll shoot a line to support and see where that gets me.

The site merely seems to show you games you've played. The client shows you everything attached to your account.

I see several games that had a free weekend on the site, because while I don't own those titles that's stuff I actually installed and played for a bit. The client shows your entire backlog, like (in my case) the AC discovery tours, the first 2 Watch_Dogs games, Rayman games, AC Black Flag and Unity.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 25, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Why does a game about fighting nazi's has non-lethal combat options?
Why does a game about fighting nazi's have non-lethal combat options that give you more points than just killing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Jack Trades posted:

Gloomwood though!