Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

MikeJF posted:

It also makes no sense in terms of what happened to Wesley - he didn't get granted special powers, he developed them all on his own via some 'deeper comprehension of space and time and mind' or some bullshit like that. The Traveller just showed up and offered to guide him through it.

*sighs really loudly*

drat star trek is dumb as hell isnt it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I really wanna see what kind of van the traveler drives around in and how filthy it is.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Gutcruncher posted:

I really wanna see what kind of van the traveler drives around in and how filthy it is.

Slumming it w the maalon garbage guys

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

Picard and the rest of the bridge crew were just pretending not to see the disgusting RV parked next to the Enterprise on the scanners.

"Yeah, Beverly, I think that guy was really on the up-and-up. This was definitely the right call to let your son disappear with that dude."

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Gutcruncher posted:

You just know the windows are all tinted.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gutcruncher posted:

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The traveler also helped that grifter with his warp speed hack too. I don't recall why he did it, definitely not for fame or power or anything but he was still helping him out which makes him a bit of a jerk or at least a dumbass.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

The traveler also helped that grifter with his warp speed hack too. I don't recall why he did it, definitely not for fame or power or anything but he was still helping him out which makes him a bit of a jerk or at least a dumbass.

Incorporeal reality travelers sometimes like to slum it and just be someone’s secretary or uber driver

just for the hell of it

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Are people actually mad there's a song and dance SNW episode? May I remind you, this is canon:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Computer give my a printout of Odo smiling

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Something tells me that Lucille Ball would have demanded they do this if she could have gotten away with it with the network, back in the Desilu days, so it should be done for that reason alone if nothing else.

I think it'll be charming and I'd watch this cast do pretty much anything.

Also there's a pretty huge venn diagram of Trek fans and people who love musicals iirc

I am assuming there will be at least one patter song

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Musical should only happen if they include killer plants from out of space or haunted house mansions with mad scientist aliens throwing kick rear end parties.

I really hope the SNW includes one of those two. Preferably both.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Kesper North posted:

I am assuming there will be at least one patter song

Una already sang the Major-General’s Song in Short Treks so she definitely has the chops for it

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Are people actually mad there's a song and dance SNW episode? May I remind you, this is canon:

I am not programmed to respond in that area :smug:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

dr_rat posted:

Musical should only happen if they include killer plants from out of space or haunted house mansions with mad scientist aliens throwing kick rear end parties.

I really hope the SNW includes one of those two. Preferably both.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kesper North posted:

Also there's a pretty huge venn diagram of Trek fans and people who love musicals iirc

I hate musicals but SNW has been knocking it out of the park so I guess we'll see.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
musical episodes are for the people making the show and not the people watching it

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Computer give my a printout of Odo smiling

Could I see a hat wobble?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Musical episodes would work if the songs were actually good. That's the rare part. Crazy Ex Girlfriend had a song per episode and it worked because they put a lot of effort into making them catchy (and were produced by a guy who tripped his boards on Broadway.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Outpost22 posted:

What about a new series from the perspective of the admiralty board? Just all of them in a board room getting reports of captains breaking the prime directive all the time.

I imagine an Admiral's day is largely at a desk with a bottle of Romulan Ale just out of camera of the desk terminal. Just read a report, take a deep sigh and stiff drink, tell the offending Captain in question not to violate the Prime Directive doing something noble, and repeat. And that's their entire week, with the occasional meeting with their other Admirals to compare horror stories from the reports they reviewed.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I imagine an Admiral's day is largely at a desk with a bottle of Romulan Ale just out of camera of the desk terminal. Just read a report, take a deep sigh and stiff drink, tell the offending Captain in question not to violate the Prime Directive doing something noble, and repeat. And that's their entire week, with the occasional meeting with their other Admirals to compare horror stories from the reports they reviewed.
I figure admiraling is pretty high stress. A perpetual reality-tv hellworld of tracking which captain is banging which, who is who's ex, who is going to cover up for Ys warcrimes if you assign them together, etc.

sometimes you get together to celebrate that only 15% of Vulcan officers were Romulan spies this year

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

At what point do they break and become evil, or is that just a requirement of being an Admiral?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's why they get made admiral. It's better than leaving them in charge of a ship with all those peace torpedoes.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So what did Kirk and Picard get up to? Janeway is a given.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Kirk was totally an evil admiral, it's just that his evil was taking over a starship for selfish personal reasons and loving Decker's career so hard he had to leave this plane of existence.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Picard kept crashing ships until they booted him upstairs.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Outpost22 posted:

What about a new series from the perspective of the admiralty board? Just all of them in a board room getting reports of captains breaking the prime directive all the time.

that would have potential

one admiral could have an obvious space worm bent on world domination controlling the body, but he's otherwise a good and hard worker, so the rest of the admirals don't rat on him

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

that'd make a great lower decks episode; a wej Duj equivalent where it's instead a day in the life of admiral office dredgery. one guy has a worm, one guy's a changeling left over from the dominion wars, but they're getting stuff done

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RubricMarine posted:

that'd make a great lower decks episode; a wej Duj equivalent where it's instead a day in the life of admiral office dredgery. one guy has a worm, one guy's a changeling left over from the dominion wars, but they're getting stuff done

There's a brief moment at the end where they're all laying their dirty laundry out in the open in a private meeting and it's like "...So is there a single normal Admiral among us at all?... Are any of genuinely trying to overthrow Starfleet, or were we all just trying to do our duty and not get outed? ...Huh, oh okay then. Back to work I guess... :shrug:"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The bugs did take over. They LOVE bureaucracy. And they LOVE starfleet!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

External Organs posted:

The bugs did take over. They LOVE bureaucracy. And they LOVE starfleet!

Look Conspiracy never really openly stated the bugs were evil, just that they wanted to take over and they sometimes exploded.

I see give them a chance!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The Admiralty ceremony is them slamming a bug into your eye while the other admirals cheer from the sidelines ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Look Conspiracy never really openly stated the bugs were evil, just that they wanted to take over and they sometimes exploded.

I see give them a chance!

Maybe Remmick was telling the truth when he said that they mean no harm and seek peaceful coexistence. What's the worst that could happen?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

they should have hired whichever PR firm the trill had

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

they should have hired whichever PR firm the trill had

:hmmyes:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Maybe Remmick was telling the truth when he said that they mean no harm and seek peaceful coexistence. What's the worst that could happen?

[Long list of strange Starfleet Admiral shenanigans]

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Has starfleet ever thought of just getting rid of all their admiralty and just getting one of those evil computers to take their jobs. It would save a hell of a lot of office space.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RubricMarine posted:

Do a series of short treks about different bits of Starfleet. One about the infiltrated evil admiralty. One about the defeated OSHA division that's just given up trying to make any changes because nobody every follows their instructions. One about the people running the vault where you freeze all the people like Boimler who fell into the past until they've caught up to when they vanished. One about the people running the evil AI prison we saw.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

A star trek admiralty show would just have them trying to figure out which admiral on the main cast is behind the big evil plot this week. At the end of the episode, they'd give the perpetrator a slap on the wrist as they joke about destroying starfleet next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

the last dozen or so posts right here itt,

you all GET star trek,

I wish you were all in charge of it