Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
In my mother’s backyard Sunday I was being menaced by turkey vultures and an Avro Lancaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Haahaahaa I caught the Avro circling around Sunday on adsbexchange. Felt lucky when that happened.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'd just like to deny I had anything to do with this, even though Deborah and Mike refused my advice to build an airship. I'd also like to deny that I was in Sussex NB last night, and that I plugged one of their propane tubes in a fit of impotent jealousy

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/nb-transatlantic-balloon-down-over-newfoundland-1.6913506

e: I'd also like to deny that I've begun harassing the reporter who wrote this for writing "[the balloon] was powered by helium"

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 21, 2023

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'd just like to deny I had anything to do with this, even though Deborah and Mike refused my advice to build an airship. I'd also like to deny that I was in Sussex NB last night, and that I plugged one of their propane tubes in a fit of impotent jealousy

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/nb-transatlantic-balloon-down-over-newfoundland-1.6913506

e: I'd also like to deny that I've begun harassing the reporter who wrote this for writing "[the balloon] was powered by helium"

I guess since I left the island it craved a new balloon pilot. I think I was the only one there.

Edit: did they land at the airport? I always thought about flying there but I think I'd only want to do it in the winter so I could land on a lake or pond or something. There's so few suitable landing spots in and around Gander (or on the entire island, for that matter)

St_Ides fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 22, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What is it with people trying to do dumb stuff in homemade vehicles and Newfoundland these days?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FrozenVent posted:

What is it with people trying to do dumb stuff in homemade vehicles and Newfoundland these days?

I mean, have you been to Newfoundland?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FrozenVent posted:

Couple things:

1. These people are british
2. they took off from New Brunswick
3. Newfoundland is on the great circle route to europe

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It took her 19 hours to go from New Brunswick to Newfoundland?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cojawfee posted:

It took her 19 hours to go from New Brunswick to Newfoundland?

Well, it is a balloon after all.

St_Ides posted:

I guess since I left the island it craved a new balloon pilot. I think I was the only one there.

Edit: did they land at the airport? I always thought about flying there but I think I'd only want to do it in the winter so I could land on a lake or pond or something. There's so few suitable landing spots in and around Gander (or on the entire island, for that matter)

They actually landed near the south coast. I'm thinking these people are rich, because if they can't fly out of there it's gonna be as'spensive to get their balloon back to civilization

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Ah, I just found a news article that said they landed somewhere forested and remote (so pretty much anywhere on the island). Then got helicoptered in to Gander.

Even just filling a balloon like that with helium is about $1.50usd per cubic foot, and that balloon is an R-77, so a Roziere with 77,000 cubic feet of volume. It’s not like the helium can be used twice. I googled the people and it says one I used to own something called Hairworks, which doesn’t appear to be more than a salon. The other was a military and commercial pilot. Neither of which implies self made millionaires, so unless there’s generational wealth involved it’s possible they just saved a lot for a one-shot.

I don’t know how much it’d cost to have a helicopter sling out a basket and envelope, but the MTOM of an R-77 is 2270kg, and a large proportion of that weight would be fuel. Once the fuel is vented something like a Huey could lift and carry it out. All it’d need to do is get it to the nearest road, then trailer it out. It wouldn’t be cheap, but still probably way less than just the cost of the helium.

The envelope is probably screwed, at least the hot air part. Probably the gas envelope too, depending on how treed the area was. If it was just swamp and rock there’s a chance it could have not been damaged beyond repair.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

St_Ides posted:

I don’t know how much it’d cost to have a helicopter sling out a basket and envelope, but the MTOM of an R-77 is 2270kg, and a large proportion of that weight would be fuel. Once the fuel is vented something like a Huey could lift and carry it out. All it’d need to do is get it to the nearest road, then trailer it out. It wouldn’t be cheap, but still probably way less than just the cost of the helium.

Get it below ~3300lbs and an Astar can lift it out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what is an aquaplane

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what is an aquaplane

I assume it’d be like a single wide waterski.

I’d love to see a new Pantobase airplane, you could call that an aquaplane, rather than something like a flying boat.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yesterday was the 40th anniversary of the Gimli glider. A Redditor posted their display of their family’s ticket stubs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/c...nt=1&utm_term=1

You may wonder why they didn’t say blank out their name or seat number for doxxing reasons… well, this may make that clearer https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6915162

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:3:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
It's that magical time of year when you can experience the world's greatest aviation party

and take pictures of the Goodyear Blimp between an engine and outboard fuel tank of an AC-130 Gunship

AirVenture is the best

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/83GgGLx.mp4

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

'e's a witch! BURN HER

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretty impressive given how much water is still draining out of flooded compartments 10 seconds after takeoff

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

hobbesmaster posted:

Yesterday was the 40th anniversary of the Gimli glider. A Redditor posted their display of their family’s ticket stubs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/c...nt=1&utm_term=1

You may wonder why they didn’t say blank out their name or seat number for doxxing reasons… well, this may make that clearer https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6915162
Nice. I'd do that too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

At what age are the airlines no longer required to seat my child next to me. I think at 2 I am safe but I'm guessing the bean counters have the age set as low as possible, something like age 5 or 8

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Hadlock posted:

At what age are the airlines no longer required to seat my child next to me. I think at 2 I am safe but I'm guessing the bean counters have the age set as low as possible, something like age 5 or 8

It’s 13

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: nope

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

The sternest looking plane

:hai:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretty sure that's the bow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

From what I understand there’s not actually a legal requirement so if a seat is booked for a child of any age they can be separated by reservations. “Unaccompanied” means there isn’t an adult on the flight, not that they’re not sitting together. The cabin crews at least have the power to force people to change seats at boarding time.

The various airline subreddits for the legacy carriers that Reddit keeps recommending me have had a lot of conversations about these issues with the large number of seat switching requests and other issues that have only gotten worse since the pandemic.

I’m most familiar with delta, but I believe most of these issues apply to all airlines at some level now that so much stuff is hosed post pandemic, load factors are very high and everything is being nickel and dimed:
1. Inexperienced travelers booking through search engines get basic economy which does not include seat assignments. This makes it appear that it’s a southwest style system
2. If seat selection is available, without status/Amex you likely cannot reliably book 3 seats together because aisle/window in a large part of the cabin is preferred
3. Even if you pay for seat assignments/preferred they can be changed by the airline at any time and you’re out the money
4. With such high load factors irrops cause more severe issues and increase the chance of seats on the rebooked flights being scattered

To make things worse, with delays and cancellations even a family of 3 may not be able to be booked on a flight where they can travel together for days.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

“Hey they booked me and the kid/wife/travel partner away from each other. Would you be willing to swap with me so we can sit together?”

“Yeah sure”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warbird posted:

“Hey they booked me and the kid/wife/travel partner away from each other. Would you be willing to swap with me so we can sit together?”

“Yeah sure”

Then the same thing happens in the next seat. And then the person that actually had a ticket for the 3rd seat you’re in shows up and the entire mess has to be untangled and now the FA is mad at you.

A lot of the very frequent travelers had stories like that for why they will never ever trade seats again.

edit: without crew involvement

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023

Hadlock posted:

Pretty sure that's the bow

Japanese planes usually bow before taking off.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is there some distance compression effect from a long lens going on or did that big fucker take off in about a hundred yards of water

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

the milk machine posted:

is there some distance compression effect from a long lens going on or did that big fucker take off in about a hundred yards of water

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Meiwa_US-1A

quote:

The converted flying boat featured numerous adaptations, including a novel boundary layer control system to provide enhanced Short Takeoff/Landing (STOL) performance, ...

Apart from the boundary layer control system, which was powered by an independent gas turbine housed within the fuselage, the aircraft had a number of other innovative features, including a system to suppress spray during water handling,[1] and directing the propwash from the aircraft's four turboprop engines over its wings to create yet more lift.

Take-off distance: 555 m (1,821 ft) at 45,000 kg (99,208 lb) 40° flap, BLC on, on water
Max takeoff weight: 43,000 kg (94,799 lb) from water, 45,000 kg (99,208 lb) from land

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Warbird posted:

“Yeah sure”

Counterpoint: "no thank you, I paid to select this seat, and I shall have it."

ET_375
Nov 20, 2013

I think it's actually a US-2, which halves the takeoff distance of a US-1a to 280m/920', about the same as a 172. Boundary layer systems are pretty neat.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah in general we've usually lucked out and found a seating arrangement via good will. So far. Eventually the luck will run out

hobbesmaster posted:

To make things worse, with delays and cancellations even a family of 3 may not be able to be booked on a flight where they can travel together for days.

No joke this was a major bullet point for why we moved away from north carolina. Maybe it's just the pandemic but always needing to transfer through CLT was :psyduck:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

the milk machine posted:

Hehehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kDbUj5MB3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4iRXMOMm9M

Air boat is special.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hadlock posted:

No joke this was a major bullet point for why we moved away from north carolina. Maybe it's just the pandemic but always needing to transfer through CLT was :psyduck:

Many men have trouble navigating around that one.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Hadlock posted:

An airline I’ll decide to leave unnamed recently attempted it at 3 1/2. It took a considerable amount of pushback and (borderline get-off-the-plane) arguing with the guy in the adjacent seat to prevent it. I was bullshit.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Scramble posted:

Return of the Catalina?

During this year's Oshkosh AirVenture, Catalina Aircraft from Florida announced it has plans to relaunch production of a modernized version of the iconic Catalina flying-boat. According to the press-release, "interest in the rebirth of this legendary amphibian has been extraordinary" and they want to move the new program "forward rapidly".

Catalina Aircraft, which is currently the official type certificate holder of the original 28-5ACF Catalina, is planning to offer two versions of the new aircraft, which is called the Next Generation Amphibious Aircraft (NGAA) Catalina II and will feature new turboprop engines that are able to run on sustainable fuel.

The first version is the NGAA Special Use version, which is aimed to military and governmental operators. It will be able to operate in Sea State 3 conditions and able to operate up to 19-hour missions, depending on the configuration. Top speed is planned to be around 200 knots and it can also fly as slow as 62 knots. The maximum take-off weight (MTOW) is 40,000 pounds, which will enable the Catalina II to carry up to 30 fully-outfitted soldiers or 16,000 pounds of cargo. Examples for usage of the Special Use Catalina II are Intelligence, Surveillance, Anti-Submarine Warfare, Aerial firefighting etc. It will also be equipped with cockpit displays that are night-vision gear compatible and able to operate from (un)surfaced runways, rivers, sand, lakes, bays and seas.

The second version is the NGAA Civilian Catalina II, which should be able to operate in Sea State 2 conditions. This version will be able to fly up to 185 knots and carry up to 34 passengers or 12,000 pounds of cargo. On request, it can be outfitted with dual cargo doors. It's MTOW is planned to be 32,000 pounds.

Catalina Aircraft has said its now ready to take pre-orders but hasn't communicated any timelines regarding first flight, certification and potential entry into service.

The original Model-28 Catalina flyingboat, was built between 1936 and 1945. During that period a total of 3,308 Catalina's have been produced. Of these, 620 were licence-built in Canada, and 27 in the Soviet Union. It was the most widely used flying-boat during the second World War and served with all branches of the US armed forces.

https://www.scramble.nl/military-news/return-of-the-catalina?fbclid=IwAR26ijwGcZ9n37SrWAEtq43-jRnzz0zPB2JouWkLXnJWIfFLMATF4xhdNoU

Right after those guys who are definitely gonna build new Grumman Albatrosses, presumably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

https://catalinaaircrafttrust.com/ngaa-special-use-variant

Ok, cool render bro. What engines are you using? What avionics package? How does having a boat-only version without gear not change the TC?

I want this to succeed so badly, because civilian new-build Catalinas are a dream of mine, but this whole venture is very light on details.