Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I mean there were plenty of VAR calls as bad as that early in the EPL season but they eventually stopped calling it so absurdly. Seems like FIFA could have taken some inspiration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo what a save

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
gently caress me what a save that was.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
:negative:

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Well that was an intense game, wouldn't call it the most beautiful to watch.

NZ got completely hosed but good work Phillipines

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

harperdc posted:

If the Philippines hang on then the final matchday for this group could be Real Spicy.

Switzerland can go through today if they beat Norway. The race for the second place will be something to watch in the last round.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

saw that offside call against NZ in a replay and had to come complain

what the gently caress was that

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
It's pretty much the sort of result I expected from NZ prior to the tournament but it still stings.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Here we go, time to feel like poo poo for 90+ minutes.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Uhhh...

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

What's going on?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Supposedly Ada picked up a groin injury at the last warmup before the game was about to start, but still... Seeing the best striker just walk off the pitch as everyone is lining up for the game to start is uhhh... it's not the best way to start a crucial game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Wait, so Hegerberg is out? I missed the beginning of the match.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Norway are doing way better than in the first match.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Wait, so Hegerberg is out? I missed the beginning of the match.

Yep. She was in the lineup and sang the national anthem and then the next time we saw her she was walking down the player tunnel as the teams lined up for the kickoff.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Grimson posted:

Supposedly Ada picked up a groin injury at the last warmup before the game was about to start, but still... Seeing the best striker just walk off the pitch as everyone is lining up for the game to start is uhhh... it's not the best way to start a crucial game.

Welcome to how everyone was in the first Australian game.

"Where is Kerr wtf"

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Luckily for us Roman Haug is a pretty decent player in the own right, but still...

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

the foxsports panel seem utterly perplexed by Hegerberg's late scratch, but that makes some sense to me to retain the option of subbing her in if she isn't 100% bc of a freak tweak, rather than subbing her out early

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Let Hørte play, cowards!

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Fiskerstrand tucking Hegerberg in though, that's a cute image.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Clutch save by the Swiss goalie.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

TDepressionEarl posted:

the foxsports panel seem utterly perplexed by Hegerberg's late scratch, but that makes some sense to me to retain the option of subbing her in if she isn't 100% bc of a freak tweak, rather than subbing her out early

About that:

Official FIFA WWC '23 Rulebook posted:

33.5 If any of the 11 players submited on the start list are not able to begin the match due to injury or illness, they may be replaced by any of the eligible substitutes as long as the FIFA Match Director and the referee are ofcially informed thereof prior to kick of. Within 24 hours, the team concerned shall also provide FIFA with a medical report issued by the team doctor responsible (in one of the ofcial languages of FIFA).
33.6 Further to the above, *any injured or ill player who is removed from the start list will no longer be eligible to take part in the match, and thus cannot be selected as a substitute player at any time during the match*. Such a change to the start list will not reduce the number of ofcial substitutions that may be made by a team during the match in accordance with the Laws of the Game. Although no longer eligible to play as a substitute, the injured or ill player who was removed from the start list before kick-of may be seated on the substitutes’ bench.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

CGH is on!

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

whypick1 posted:

About that:

well poo poo, i thought lineup cards got handed in when they exchanged banners

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Nope, 90 minutes before kickoff.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

CGH just went HAM there

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Been a much better game than against New Zealand, but we still can't seem to score a goal to save our lives.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Only saw the second half, fair to say both teams seemed equally likely to (not) score?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Graham Hansen went on a rant against the coaching staff after the game.

quote:

- I feel I have been stepped on for a year. People talk all the time about standing together as a team and nation, but I feel that in the last year I've just taken it and it's not like you get anything for free in this life, but I thought I had earned a certain respect, says Graham Hansen.

Just after Martin Sjögren was fired after the EC last year, Graham Hansen chose to take a break from the national team. She is obviously not satisfied with what she encounters after her return.

- The Jante law is clearly strong in Norway. I will not go into who here in the press, but you can read between the lines and figure out who I'm talking to, she continues.

Graham Hansen was dropped for the 0–0 draw against Switzerland, but came on after an hour.

- I don't think I should comment on that. Caro will be responsible for that. I haven't seen it or heard it, so I can't relate to that, says national team manager Hege Riise at the press conference after the match.

She says the choice to sack Graham Hansen was a choice she still stands by, and that she made the decision based on what she thought was the best for the team.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
This is the world cup content I crave

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

New Squires cartoon:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

This is the world cup content I crave

Every tournament needs a team in active rebellion, so often for the men it’s been France but it’s nice to see some variety coming from the women.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
France sensibly got their rebellion out of the way a few months in advance this time.

Just saw highlights but Colombia looked dangerous going forward against South Korea. The overall quality seems to be improving in the middle teams, too.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

south korea has both the youngest player and the highest average player age

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Japan will have wanted to not kick each other and instead score a goal there.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

a real chump posted:

Japan will have wanted to not kick each other and instead score a goal there.

Would’ve been a fantastic last-ditch block if they weren’t on the same team

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Neat and efficient goal there for Japan

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Oh dear, keeper gave her front post away . Big no no

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Phwoar thassa nice goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Fabiola Villalobos made a neat leap and kick over the crossbar to clear a dangerous loose ball in the box when Costa Rica's goalie collided with the Japanese attacker, no foul play.

Solera needs a couple minutes, no GK sub.