Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't even play these games but man I love Johnny Cage, as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

PostNouveau posted:

Liu Kang's like the only elder god now and controls all time? That's him hanging out with the Outworld princess in that released scene though? He's just slumming it for fun?

Liu Kang isnt an elder god, Raiden wasnt an elder god

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

PostNouveau posted:

Liu Kang's like the only elder god now and controls all time? That's him hanging out with the Outworld princess in that released scene though? He's just slumming it for fun?

He introduces himself in the reveal trailer as "Earthrealm's protector and the God of Fire." Either Kang doesn't have Kronika's power anymore, or he's not inclined to run off to reset the timeline whenever any little thing goes wrong. (You hear that, Barry Allen?)

Either way, in MK cosmology, there are the Elder Gods (unthinkably powerful, rarely directly active), the Titans (Kronika, Shinnok, Cetrion), the gods (Raiden, Fujin, Argus), and then demigods like Rain. Kang's acting like Raiden, which means he's willing to take a direct hand in things if it means keeping Earthrealm safe.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/uck_shuck_iv/status/1683697168014606338?s=46&t=a6CxCWIxrD6TbXwVPFPXpg

in a press release they announced a bunch of kameos, don't mind the lore implications

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 25, 2023

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if anything I'm glad it puts the latest fake leak going around to rest, which had loving Deathstroke and Harley Quinn listed as DLC Pack 2 fighters.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

MK3 dumb hat Stryker is a kameo fighter and that's fuckin great

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Liu Kang likes to watch. He's a prankster.

He's a fan, of man.

Wanderer posted:

Either way, in MK cosmology, there are the Elder Gods (unthinkably powerful, rarely directly active), the Titans (Kronika, Shinnok, Cetrion), the gods (Raiden, Fujin, Argus), and then demigods like Rain. Kang's acting like Raiden, which means he's willing to take a direct hand in things if it means keeping Earthrealm safe.

Shinnok and Cetrion are Elder Gods, I think Kronika's the only "bigger than" that's been brought up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

He's a fan, of man.

Shinnok and Cetrion are Elder Gods, I think Kronika's the only "bigger than" that's been brought up.

Isn't there also some many-faced singular omni-god?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't there also some many-faced singular omni-god?

I remember one or more MK9 endings involved the Elder Gods turning out to have splintered off one primal being, and were, I think, merged again against their will. But it's kind of iffy whether those get treated as canon.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

According to Mortal Podkast, The One Being was who originally created reality and the Elder Gods, but they cut him up and his pieces made the Realms. They then made Gods to protect each Realm and make sure The One Being was never inadvertently brought back to life by too many of the Realms merging through cKonquest. Titans are a new addition to the lore, and seem to be just above the Elder Gods and in charge of more universal and abstract concepts like Time. They may have made the Elder Gods given Kronika was mother to Shennok and Cetrion.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's one of the things I appreciate about MK. You have these ancient deities representing absolutely fundamental domains such as Death, Nature, or even Time itself, beings that exist on a wholly different scale and plane than mere humanity. And they absolutely can and will get punched in the dick by a washed-up stunt actor until they die to death. :allears:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

It's one of the things I appreciate about MK. You have these ancient deities representing absolutely fundamental domains such as Death, Nature, or even Time itself, beings that exist on a wholly different scale and plane than mere humanity. And they absolutely can and will get punched in the dick by a washed-up stunt actor until they die to death. :allears:

Kronika should have spent more time in the gym and less time staring at that hourglass!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Wanderer posted:

He introduces himself in the reveal trailer as "Earthrealm's protector and the God of Fire." Either Kang doesn't have Kronika's power anymore, or he's not inclined to run off to reset the timeline whenever any little thing goes wrong. (You hear that, Barry Allen?)

you got me nerd raging

Kronika is the only named Titan that we are aware of. Shinnok is a fallen/banished Elder God. Cetrion is just an Eder God.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yeah, one of the underlying things in the MK lore is that the One Being is the force nudging all the big bads into conquering and merging the realms. Shao Kahn, Onaga, and Shinnok are unknowingly pawns to bring the One Being back to life to destroy reality as we know it. This happens in Onaga's unused Deception ending and Shinnok's MKX ending.

As for the Titans, though we never see them identified by name outside of Kronika, we do see a handful of them in Scorpion and Shang Tsung's MK11 endings.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Yeah, one of the underlying things in the MK lore is that the One Being is the force nudging all the big bads into conquering and merging the realms. Shao Kahn, Onaga, and Shinnok are unknowingly pawns to bring the One Being back to life to destroy reality as we know it. This happens in Onaga's unused Deception ending and Shinnok's MKX ending.

As for the Titans, though we never see them identified by name outside of Kronika, we do see a handful of them in Scorpion and Shang Tsung's MK11 endings.

I'm confident that within 3 more games, a 90-year-old Johnny Cage will punch the One Being in the dick and put everything right with the realms.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So the ultimate evil in the universe is corporate consolidation. I get it now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The One Being, Diznay Go’ogl

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/MortalKombat/status/1684598288245460993

Pre Order Beta (august 18th) roster announced

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is it gonna be MP only like the last one or will you actually have a chance to lab around in practice mode.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Since mk1 is gonna be at evo, I wonder if we'll get a new kharacter there

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Smoking Crow posted:

Since mk1 is gonna be at evo, I wonder if we'll get a new kharacter there

Boon already said new kharacters, a trailer, possibly more will be revealed at Evo

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Somebody was asking around for people who know way too much about MK lore, so I got to step out of the crowd like David Bowie in Zoolander.

https://www.ign.com/videos/mortal-kombat-1-all-timeline-differences-weve-noticed-so-far

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Really wish NRS had taken a page from Capcom and stopped putting PC on the back burner

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1685368442319216640?s=20

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

well, geras got announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72okJYRJWDI

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
so they kind of made Geras kind of like Tremor huh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, Liu Kang's shooting kamehamehas and creating black holes now.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

They made Geras and Liu Kang so loving cool...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Liu Kang chooses Final Destination, no items.

Your flesh is an item.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

lmao at the Liu Kang fatality

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1685433610801651712

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

ImpAtom posted:

Man, Liu Kang's shooting kamehamehas and creating black holes now.

Who among us would not use their ultimate god of the universe powers to be Goku

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Lol that they bothered putting in Darrius just to make him have some of the most boring generic looking moves in the entire game so far

Guess it's true to the source material, the weird hardcore 3d era fans must be thrilled

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

pretty soft girl posted:

Lol that they bothered putting in Darrius just to make him have some of the most boring generic looking moves in the entire game so far

Guess it's true to the source material, the weird hardcore 3d era fans must be thrilled

They've got him, Reiko, AND Li Mei - they're eating like they haven't eaten in years. Any day now Kai is gonna show up.

Also, it's hilarious that Geras of all people got an entire reveal trailer. As if the WHOLE WORLD was waiting to see if he made it back.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

pretty soft girl posted:

The fact that you can tell Darrius is from the 3D era of MK because all of his kameo moves are so boring is actually an extremely funny bit

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

Did you miss the assist where he helps you beat rear end by letting you spin him around you in circles? Maybe we just have different ideas of what constitutes a boring generic looking move.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

maruhkati posted:

They've got him, Reiko, AND Li Mei - they're eating like they haven't eaten in years. Any day now Kai is gonna show up.

Also, it's hilarious that Geras of all people got an entire reveal trailer. As if the WHOLE WORLD was waiting to see if he made it back.

MK4 is 3D but it’s not part of that era, plus they already redeemed(ish) 4 in X.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I know I'm probably expecting too much from MK compared to other fighting games but why does Geras have such an oppressively dull design and personality. The time and sand gimmick feels like it should open things up to all kinds of cool ideas.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

khwarezm posted:

I know I'm probably expecting too much from MK compared to other fighting games but why does Geras have such an oppressively dull design and personality. The time and sand gimmick feels like it should open things up to all kinds of cool ideas.

WHAT??!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

AndyElusive posted:

Did you miss the assist where he helps you beat rear end by letting you spin him around you in circles? Maybe we just have different ideas of what constitutes a boring generic looking move.

Aside from that everything he does is just karate-ing your rear end and its not especially entertaining karate, his fatal blow is just plain sad compared to what everyone else has shown off

I say this as a dumb moron who thinks the cast of virtua fighter are underrated and have a lot of personality. Dude is like a fighter maker preset