Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

H13 posted:

That's kinda what I was thinking.

'Cos then I can just swap out either the S\S pickguard with the H\H pickguard depending on what I'm trying out.

Does anybody know if Harley Benton sell pickguards? Or what sort of after-market pickguard would fit something like this?

https://harleybenton.com/product/te-90flt-orange-blast/

If that's the guitar you're wanting to swap to SS it's going to be more complicated than just a pickguard swap. The tron-sized routes should fit a single but they're mounted directly into the body so you'd have to get a custom guard designed and cut to go over the routes - the guard on that doesn't actually cover anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's a cabronita style tele guard, but yeah that's not the guitar to try swapping out for a more traditional style tele.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
nice to see that people are getting out there and playing! i finally dragged myself to the open mic at a local brewery and am so happy i did. super small, only 6 performers that night so we went through the rotation twice. did 3 originals first time through then a couple covers. felt great to play and network with some musicians, definitely going to follow up and start playing with people.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

nitsuga posted:

What about some gaffer tape? Probably good enough even if you are throwing the little amp around.

The batteries stay in there pretty tight so yeah that’s probably all it needs for a little insurance.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

a.p. dent posted:

nice to see that people are getting out there and playing! i finally dragged myself to the open mic at a local brewery and am so happy i did. super small, only 6 performers that night so we went through the rotation twice. did 3 originals first time through then a couple covers. felt great to play and network with some musicians, definitely going to follow up and start playing with people.

Yeah you should do it, as stressful as it can be at times to manage band relationships, its still worth it. When it comes together it’s pretty cool and you just can’t pull that off without people and the issues that come with them.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I multi-track recorded the whole show. I felt like I was kinda all over the place after the show and wasn’t super happy with my performance. Listening back though I think we did pretty good! We had some mix issues early on cause we have no sound guy, just a buddy in the crowd who was like (vocals up, bass down, lead guitar up) between songs until we had it right. Sound guys are kinda worth it.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I feel like I’m always thinking I did terrible, probably just a brain disease because normally it sounds at least ok if I hear it back. Stuff that during the moment I’m like oh poo poo that’s a huge mistake, when I’m listening to it back I can barely pick it out in the mix. That’s why bands are great and I still get nervous if it’s just me and an acoustic. Haven’t booked a show like that before, I’ve done stuff like them without getting paid but I always get nervous. Feel like there is money to be made there and fans to gather to see the full band. Should probably start working on it.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

nitsuga posted:

What about some gaffer tape? Probably good enough even if you are throwing the little amp around.

The batteries stay in there pretty tight so yeah that’s probably all it needs for a little insurance.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

If this comes in a color I like, I’m buying one.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Firefly/guitars garden doesn’t currently have any regular Joe Schmoe Telecasters… anyone experienced with Harley Benton? I’m itching to pull the trigger on a Tele to fiddle around with, but HB has a bunch of different Tele-style series (TE-52, TE-62, TE-20, etc) at massively varied price ranges, so not sure which to really be looking at. FWIW, I’m currently eyeing the TE-62CC SFG in surf/mint green.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Related:

https://www.fender.com/en-AU/squier-electric-guitars/stratocaster/affinity-series-telecaster-deluxe/0378250569.html

Would this work with my pickguard swapping HH\SS idea?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Gin_Rummy posted:

Firefly/guitars garden doesn’t currently have any regular Joe Schmoe Telecasters… anyone experienced with Harley Benton? I’m itching to pull the trigger on a Tele to fiddle around with, but HB has a bunch of different Tele-style series (TE-52, TE-62, TE-20, etc) at massively varied price ranges, so not sure which to really be looking at. FWIW, I’m currently eyeing the TE-62CC SFG in surf/mint green.

I've bought one and played a few. I'd say shoot for the midrange models generally, TE-62 and TE-52 taking that space currently. Some of their more decked out models are cool too, but I don't think you will be disappointed by their more straightforward offerings.

You'll probably have to buy or make a custom pickguard for that. It does make one thing easier where you're not messing with the bridge plate cutout though.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Much better, once you have the pickguard.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Bigsby B7 installed. That wasn’t bad at all. Thank God for the Vibramate adapter kit. Completely reversible. And my Dunlop Straploks work 100% with it.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Anyone have any experience sanding or scuffing a glossy neck? I've been toying with the idea for a while for my strat which, especially in hot weather, is not as comfortable to play as I'd like. I really don't want to screw it up though, nor is it that bad, so if there's a high chance of it making it worse I probably won't bother.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Scotch-brite pad in your hand and run up and down the neck until the gloss wears off. You're only aiming to take the very surface layer off so eventually will buff back up again under your hand. Don't use steel wool of any kind.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You're not even looking to remove a layer, just rough it up a bit so it doesn't feel glossy. I used 0000 steel wool and got great results after maybe 5 minutes total, micromesh pads are another option.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I've used 000 synthetic steel wool recently to degloss and smooth out dints on necks recently. You'd have to be at it for a long time to gently caress up your neck.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Thanks for the tips. I will pick up some scotchbrites. Still waiting to hear back about that Jazzmaster, frustrating when you've convinced yourself you need retail therapy new guitar day but the stupid local sellers are all on holiday or selling something crappy. Prioritise people, please.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Elissimpark posted:

I've used 000 synthetic steel wool recently to degloss and smooth out dints on necks recently. You'd have to be at it for a long time to gently caress up your neck.

It's not about loving up your neck, but using steel wool around magnets. If you don't mind hairy pickups then knock yourself out.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

There's quite a variety of Scotch Brite pads at different abrasive strengths. You do want to be careful you don't get one meant for taking industrial adhesive off of metal or something.

The Scotch Brite equivalent to 0000 steel wool is the 7445 (white) hand pad. This is the one I've seen mentioned for working on guitars specifically (like knocking oxidation off of frets).
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066283/

I think the green and blue pads you can get for cleaning pots and pans are more aggressive than the white hand pad.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i love to play and sing Torn by natalie imbruglia

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

a.p. dent posted:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

a.p. dent posted:

Same. I tell people I'd be happy if I could pull off some J Mascis style melodic noise, but when I sit down, I'm all about jangly cleans, country double stops and mid-90s break-up songs.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

a.p. dent posted:

Same

I also play Disney songs for my daughter

Under the sea on tenor ukulele :discourse:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
everything's better

as a guitar fretter

take it from meeeee

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Tommy the Newt posted:

Anyone have any experience sanding or scuffing a glossy neck? I've been toying with the idea for a while for my strat which, especially in hot weather, is not as comfortable to play as I'd like. I really don't want to screw it up though, nor is it that bad, so if there's a high chance of it making it worse I probably won't bother.

You could just clean them....I got some nice soft guitar polishing clothes and some musicnomad 'one' gloss cleaner/polish and it does wonders on making gloss necks feel very nice. I usually spray a tiny bit on the cloth and clean the neck daily if I play daily.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

darkwasthenight posted:

It's not about loving up your neck, but using steel wool around magnets. If you don't mind hairy pickups then knock yourself out.

Yeah, which is why I used SYNTHETIC steel wool which is nylon or some other polymer, not actual steel wool.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I love a gloss neck now. My hand position makes it so I’m kinda backed off from the back of the neck a lot though, so I get why people have to do it.

When I did it on my squire Strat I just used fine grit sandpaper, but I’m sure there’s some reason you don’t wanna just do that.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Tung oil necks for life

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ColdPie posted:

I played around with it. I ended up alternating between fingers 1 and 2 on strings 3 (G#) and 4 (E) respectively, and, fingers 1 2 and 3 on strings 2 (C) 3 (A) and 4 (F). I use finger 4 to reach the D, keeping finger 1 in place on the C for security.

The following phrase is the same, except I use finger 3 for the D and finger 1 on the 1st string.

Ugh, I was hoping I wouldn’t have to switch fingerings like that. I find it really awkward :( How fast can you alternate between the two shapes? Maybe I just need to practice swapping between them a lot…

mewse
May 2, 2006

I built a strat with a 3d printed body and ever since I strung it, it was buzzing like crazy and I didn't know what the problem was. I shielded the pickup cavities with copper tape, still buzzing. I rebuilt the whole wiring harness with a new 5-way switch to make sure everything was wired correctly, still buzzing. I found out last night I had the wires to the output jack reversed

:ughh:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Please post a pic of the 3d printed strat, you're giving me expensive ideas that I don't want to have but may have to pursue.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

mewse posted:

I built a strat with a 3d printed body and ever since I strung it, it was buzzing like crazy and I didn't know what the problem was. I shielded the pickup cavities with copper tape, still buzzing. I rebuilt the whole wiring harness with a new 5-way switch to make sure everything was wired correctly, still buzzing. I found out last night I had the wires to the output jack reversed

:ughh:

I had a two week fiasco of this and then found I soldered a wire to the wrong pot lug. These things happen.

mewse
May 2, 2006

fullroundaction posted:

Please post a pic of the 3d printed strat, you're giving me expensive ideas that I don't want to have but may have to pursue.

the design is called voronoi stratocaster on printables

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Mother of god

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheMightyBoops posted:

I had a two week fiasco of this and then found I soldered a wire to the wrong pot lug. These things happen.

I also thought last night that I had killed the volume pot with heat somehow because there was literally no signal coming from it, the amp was dead silent like it was bridging signal + ground. The volume pot was dialed to zero

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I call this image "parenthood"

The stock speaker in the orange cab sucks rear end, so I put in a Jensen I had lying around. Sounds much better now and not like a box inside of another box

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
you can nicely fit a stack of newborn diapies in the little storage compartment in that guitar case eh just fyi4u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Parenthood has just spurred me into getting more gear. I think in a very childish way I've been trying to prove to myself that I can still have nice stuff and exist as my own entity, as if trebling my previously frugal pedalboard would achieve that... and now I'm looking for Jazzmasters while feeding an infant, like an rear end in a top hat. Good luck with your nappies and oranges, friend.