Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Jonny 290 posted:

Finished the 5.x quests. Time to walk the end.

(think im gonna give myself a day or two and run through the niers and otherwise gently caress around a bit)

Absolutely do that. The Nier raids are amazing (even though I have no loving clue what the story was about and yes I read all the dialogue and watched the cutscenes. I still don't.)

They are only beaten by the Endwalker alliance raids which are even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

The Nier raids are a spectacle, but if there is one piece of side content that I'd recommend to do for ShB, then do the normal raid series.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mainwaring posted:

If you're in a FC that has a house you can get a private room in that house for cheaper than a public apartment (300000gil instead of 500000)
With the downside that you will lose it if you're ever removed/leaving that FC. 500k apartments are forever, and they also act as another preferred (ie. very cheap) teleport location.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Infected posted:

The Nier raids are a spectacle, but if there is one piece of side content that I'd recommend to do for ShB, then do the normal raid series.

Contrariwise, I'd suggest if you find yourself in the unenviable position of only being able to do one type of ShB side content, the Trial series, The Sorrow of Werlyt, is where it's at. Although it sort of depends on which RPG was your favorite in the PS1 era. If it was 7, do the trials. If it was 8, do the normal raids. If it was Drakengard (Why would it ever be Drakengard?), do the alliance raids.

The Nier raids give better gear for glam than the Eden raids, if that's your driving force. Although that's very subjective, gothic lolita fashion just does nothing for me, and especially not on a male Roegadyn.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Jonny 290 posted:

Finished the 5.x quests. Time to walk the end.

(think im gonna give myself a day or two and run through the niers and otherwise gently caress around a bit)

make sure you've completed all of the cool shadowbringers content, like the trial series, the normal raid series, and bozja first!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Sorrow of Werlyt is just a Gundam series set in XIV, it rules.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Yeah you really want to have done all the side content before going into Endwalker.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Ehhhhh. EW certainly has a lot of little bonuses for people who've done lots of side content but most of them boil down to "hey it's that guy from that one thing!" My advice to someone just starting the game is to take their time going through the MSQ and do lots of side content (especially all of the trials and normal raids) and level a few different jobs but I don't think I'd tell someone who just finished 5.55 to take a lot of time to go back and do everything before they start EW.

That said if you are going to do one piece of ShB optional endgame content, my vote would be the normal raids.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Stop at every expansion and do at least the normal and alliance raids imo, ideally alongside the patch content they were released in

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yeah you really want to have done all the side content before going into Endwalker.

Mister Olympus posted:

Stop at every expansion and do at least the normal and alliance raids imo, ideally alongside the patch content they were released in

yeaaaaahhhh You miss so much story if you skip the side content. Some of that side story is self contained (the 80 alliance raids), but a lot of it touches the main story in Endwalker

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Theris posted:

Ehhhhh. EW certainly has a lot of little bonuses for people who've done lots of side content but most of them boil down to "hey it's that guy from that one thing!"

Which is extremely cool and gratifying in the context of EW's MSQ. :colbert:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Eden raids are the most "essential" I'd say, they're a nice cap on the story and Ryne and Gaia are just the cutest omg

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Qwertycoatl posted:

You probably noticed while you were making the fourth bar per-class, but you actually get ten bars. I'm fairly restrained so I only use nine of them

I am a humble beginner so I'm only using 8 of them, myself. 3 of them are dedicated to the collapsable job bars Runa mentioned.

I was going to post a screenshot, but all the ones I took look like garbage. So I guess figuring out how to take high quality ones is next on my very important agenda of things to set up to get back into this game.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Do side content you want but there’s no reason to feel compelled to do it before EW regardless of peoples imagined importance to it. The extra cameos are neat but mostly just amount to “thanks for the help earlier, I’m here to get your back now”. it’s all cool but non-essential.

It’s all good content and I would recommend doing it eventually, but it’s not going anywhere any time soon so you might as well be in the mood for it when you do get around to it. It already sounds like you wanna do the nier stuff so that’s a good place to start

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Theris posted:

but I don't think I'd tell someone who just finished 5.55 to take a lot of time to go back and do everything before they start EW.

No this is all actually great advice and i'm gonna breathe a bit. I started on EW release weekend without realizing it (and thought this game was run like dogshit with 4000 person queues all the time lol) and i'm trying to pace myself so that I don't have too much thumb twiddling time between when I finish and when 7.0 comes out. Plus i've got a new gpu coming for my streambox today and i promised all my slack buddies i'd stream myself going thru the first few hours of EW knowing absolutely nothing about it, so i gotta get that set up first

Plenty of time.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Do some side content but lol at the person who said do all of Bozja first.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ojjeorago posted:

Do some side content but lol at the person who said do all of Bozja first.

I wanted to do Bozja before starting into EW, but I couldn't find anyone on my server who was doing any of the raids past the first one, so I gave up on it. It's the only piece of raid-related Side Content I didn't finish before starting Endwalker. I even went through the grind to hit max level in Eureka and run the Baldesion Arsenal.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Somehow I missed out on doing warring triad until I finished shb which is a shame, there’s some awesome lore/tying up loose ends from HW there.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah the raids have been dead for while, which is kind of a pity because they are good fights. They really should be added into the alliance roulette somehow.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

BlazetheInferno posted:

I wanted to do Bozja before starting into EW, but I couldn't find anyone on my server who was doing any of the raids past the first one, so I gave up on it. It's the only piece of raid-related Side Content I didn't finish before starting Endwalker. I even went through the grind to hit max level in Eureka and run the Baldesion Arsenal.
Delubrum Reginae was a genuine loving mistake.

You have to use Party Finder to get into it these days. If you get three or four people together and use Lost Actions properly you can clear pretty easily.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GilliamYaeger posted:

Delubrum Reginae was a genuine loving mistake.

You have to use Party Finder to get into it these days. If you get three or four people together and use Lost Actions properly you can clear pretty easily.

If they do something similar to Bozja again, the "raid" instances should probably have their own party finder like the V&C one.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I did most of Bozja after EW and while Delubrum Reginae took a while to pop there was always something going on in the zones, so definitely not impossible or dead as side content.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I would always suggest doing the normal raids before moving on if you care about the story at all. They all have a ton of important information and world building in them.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I did a relic weapon quest and I can't add it to my armoire or the glamor crate.... why????

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

That Little Demon posted:

I did a relic weapon quest and I can't add it to my armoire or the glamor crate.... why????

The level 50 relic weapons are assholes, and you have to get a Replica to put in a Glamour Dresser - and to get a replica, you have to upgrade the Relic all the way to the final stage, which is a monstrous grind for even one weapon. I hate it and I wish they'd change it.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

BlazetheInferno posted:

The level 50 relic weapons are assholes, and you have to get a Replica to put in a Glamour Dresser - and to get a replica, you have to upgrade the Relic all the way to the final stage, which is a monstrous grind for even one weapon. I hate it and I wish they'd change it.

what the gently caress??

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

what the gently caress??
The grind is also soul-destroying. If you want a glowy weapon, either go buy one off the Marketboard or beat Heavensward so you can do the level 60 relics (which are much better, but one step wants you to have a crafter levelled...which is easy enough with the Ishgard Restoration).

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
they changed those rules for every subsequent relic but never bothered going back to do it for the first one

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

The grind is also soul-destroying. If you want a glowy weapon, either go buy one off the Marketboard or beat Heavensward so you can do the level 60 relics (which are much better, but one step wants you to have a crafter levelled...which is easy enough with the Ishgard Restoration).

The worst part is that the stage I wanted to glamour... was the second stage of the ARR relic. The Zenith level Ninja daggers; only daggers I've seen that sorta look like they're on fire without the design of the dagger itself being FIRE, FIRE, MORE FIRE, FIRE-SHAPED BLADE AND HILT

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I've got some zenith weapons too but I've settled to keeping a stack of glamour prisms to transfer the look manually.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The HW relics are all really nice looking. I'm glad they aren't hard to get.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

relics are all (except for the current expansion's relics) "how can we make the player burn as much time as possible doing insane busywork grinding over the next two years until the next expansion comes out"

i had never gotten beyond the first stage of any relic in the game until EW sliced the Gordian knot and just let you play the game as you like to get there

absolutely skip relics until you catch up

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

what the gently caress??

Also, this is an insanely important point, but if you do finish an ARR relic you must either keep it on you or in a retainer forever OR hand it in to an NPC in Mor Dhona for some Heavensward relic quickstart crystals if you ever want to get replicas in the future. Relics from Heavensward onwards will use achievements to track which relics you have available to buy replicas for, but ARR was jank as hell and there are no flags for individual relics past the first step so they can't do that, which is why you need to either have it on you or hand it in to trigger a flag.

Do NOT delete the relic after you're done thinking that you can just get the replicas again later. Don't be like me.................. the man who has to do 11 relics out of 10 to have a full ARR collection..............

(I had actually deleted 2 ARR relics but luckily customer service was able to restore one to me. Sadly the second one was out of the time frame possible for item restorations so I'm poo poo out of luck for my ARR MNK relic.)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Side content you can mostly ignore:

- Yellow sidequests that don't have a picture, so they're mostly just extra loot and worldbuilding filler
- Job quests for jobs you aren't interested in (including crafters)
- Triple Triad and other Gold Saucer stuff
- Relic weapons, beyond the initial trial unlocks

Has lore, but is annoying enough these days to mostly not bother:
- Eureka
- Bozja (not as bad as Eureka but harder to finish the story for these days)

Has payoff but takes time, make sure you unlock flying first:
- all the Beast Tribe quests

Everything else is worth doing in the expacs it was part of. Every trial, raid, alliance raid, optional dungeon, etc, including stuff like Hildibrand and rolequests. Even Doman Restoration is a good way to dump old dungeon gear.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
did the first nier raid, TONS of fun. i enjoy the followup questy stuff and will be doing the other two this week. Hell yeah.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

hexwren posted:

relics are all (except for the current expansion's relics) "how can we make the player burn as much time as possible doing insane busywork grinding over the next two years until the next expansion comes out"

HW relics are mostly just buying things for poetics. There is only one "grind" step for light near the end, which takes about 40 minutes if you can find a party finder group doing it (typically you run a savage raid encounter unsynced repeatedly. it dies in seconds, it's not hard but it is boring). Other steps that aren't just poetics are "do a bunch of normal trials and dungeons once each", "run leveling roulette a couple of times as any job", and "do a fate in each HW zone".

You still probably do not want to get one while playing through the actual 3.x patch content or while you have other things to spend poetics on, but the Heavensward relics are much less work than the relic weapons in any other expansion other than Endwalker.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
correct me if i'm wrong, but if i only sge my only relic option is the EW one right

Been thinking about trying to eventually get a little blinged out idk

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

correct me if i'm wrong, but if i only sge my only relic option is the EW one right

Been thinking about trying to eventually get a little blinged out idk

Yep, pretty much. Same with Reaper.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So far my favorite nouliths are the coat hooks from the 80 crafted set but the 84's are growing on me. I like how they're not identical and would love to see more weird setups like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

GilliamYaeger posted:

You don't need to be a crafter yourself for that step, the materials can be bough either on trading post or with company seals.

If you want a glowy weapon then the second stage of the Shadowbringers relic is also an option but the 60 memories you are asked to grind is way worse than HW relics.

I suppose ther is also Stormblood/Eureka but I have no clue how that even works, I have never even been there.

Also, re: ARR relics: if you unlock the base one on all classes, you get a title!