Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

why are there two rotor avatar havers now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jesus WEP posted:

that's his nemesis :rolleyes:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
look closer, nemesis is the mad one

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

look closer, nemesis is the mad one
it already takes too much effort to tell kellytars apart without also having to look at sixteen specific pixels

burning swine
May 26, 2004

good Ole Benny shaps

a never-ending font of self-ownage

much like my posting

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

the people demand a Barbie Dream Trinity Test Gadget

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

jesus WEP posted:

i screwed up and picked the wrong image a few weeks back, been on the hunt for a new one again

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

`Nemesis posted:

i screwed up and picked the wrong image a few weeks back
that doesnt sound like the behavior of a sophisticated computer user tbh

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FMguru posted:

is there one for "no good copycat impersonators"?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I was scrolling through looking for one like that and does Tori still post because...

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FMguru posted:

frankly as a semi-computer literate person i was thinking of picking up the tab and fixing it for them it's so annoying

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
todays kelly

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I was scrolling through looking for one like that and does Tori still post because...

it'll stick for all of ten minutes

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i think thats exactly what happened

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

he don't miss

also lol wtf why is this a webp

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

he don't miss

also lol wtf why is this a webp
probably because some sites will automatically generate webp for supported clients to save bandwidth?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

probably because some sites will automatically generate webp for supported clients to save bandwidth?

i'm skeptical that would make a difference with a black and white line drawing

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah that's where the automatic part comes in

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm skeptical that would make a difference with a black and white line drawing

mystes posted:

yeah that's where the automatic part comes in

i can't speak to the protocol comparisons generally but the .webp is 3x bigger than the jpeg straight from the onion site lol

does appear to be higher resolution though

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That webp is 3270 x 2289. Turning it into a png bloats it to 3x its size, and an 80 quality jpg is twice as large as the webp.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Antigravitas posted:

That webp is 3270 x 2289. Turning it into a png bloats it to 3x its size, and an 80 quality jpg is twice as large as the webp.

yes my point is that perhaps there are other steps to be taken besides random conversions of an unnecessarily large picture

also i don’t know if it is real resolution or some sort of screenshot since i don’t know where the original images are from

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

it looks like there are some grays mixed in with the black and white (for anti-aliasing), so png doesn't do as well as you'd hope. posterizing to black and white only and saving as png reduces by a bit more than half.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
the greedy and corrupt onion editors convert to webp* to prevent honest computer users from downloading as a normal image file

*latest fad

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Roosevelt posted:

the greedy and corrupt onion editors convert to webp* to prevent honest computer users from downloading as a normal image file

*latest fad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
is an image format a latest fad or a some gizmo

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

at least it's not heic

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
working with some web designers who, on their own website, have a grid of client logos that are all 3000x2000 full colour jpgs clocking in north of 3MB each, scaled down to 400x300 for display

their site takes more than a minute to load on a 940mbit connection, and they don't appear to know why.

they have asked me for ftp access to my client's hosting because they have some assets that are too large to upload via wordpress.

i am seeing a pattern

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Roosevelt posted:

*latest fad
:latestfad:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

lmao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rofl

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

infernal machines posted:

working with some web designers who, on their own website, have a grid of client logos that are all 3000x2000 full colour jpgs clocking in north of 3MB each, scaled down to 400x300 for display

their site takes more than a minute to load on a 940mbit connection, and they don't appear to know why.

they have asked me for ftp access to my client's hosting because they have some assets that are too large to upload via wordpress.

i am seeing a pattern

this is really common and i’ve been hailed a hero many times for just cropping and saving images appropriately and fixing peoples poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

git apologist posted:

this is really common and i’ve been hailed a hero many times for just cropping and saving images appropriately and fixing peoples poo poo

it bugs me in the sense that this is part of their job, to know and understand how images are stored and displayed on a web page, so that they can make the web page do that without it falling over. and they don't, and seemingly have never considered why their poo poo runs like garbage.

and yeah, it's depressingly common with people in design fields

do you need a 20 megapixel print resolution image for your team thumbnail? no, you do not. spend five loving seconds and think about the thing you are doing before doing it, or at least afterwards when it's clearly not working

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 25, 2023

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

infernal machines posted:

i am seeing a pattern

one time i had to figure out why a client's site was slow and they had the same thing with a big grid of logos.

"we were told SVGs were better for logos so we converted them all and it's still slow"

can you guess what happened?

if you guessed they ran every 3000x2000 png through the first "convert png to svg" website they found, which just embedded the original png as a base-64 string within an svg container, you would be correct.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and then the other case where they're scaling an 80x120 image up 10x

ugh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

polyester concept posted:

if you guessed they ran every 3000x2000 png through the first "convert png to svg" website they found, which just embedded the original png as a base-64 string within an svg container, you would be correct.

:kiss:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

and then the other case where they're scaling an 80x120 image up 10x

ugh

last year i was consulting on a digital ad display product and the pilot involved getting assets from venue owners and advertisers, ostensibly made to spec for the device, and what we got was a great mix of that or the aforementioned full print resolution files

pretty much just one or the other.

and sometimes a bunch of landscape oriented video/images for something that was a portrait display

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I genuinely don't understand how that happens. Wranging webshit is literally their job. It's not my job to know image formats or how to make vector graphics; I'm a sysadmin. I make inscrutable things happen in the background.

Why do I have to do their job? Why do I know their job? Why don't I replace them with a shell script?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
our students broadly have a lot of trouble with the concepts of pixel dimensions and resolution/dpi. we don't expect them to know this stuff before they start training (although really? in 2023?), but we of course teach it in their first semester and reinforce it constantly. but they either ignore it, forget it, or never got it in the first place, because there are still some students in their fourth year who are submitting final comps with visible pixelation, or raw 20-megapixel scans of a single pencil doodle.

i increasingly believe that there was a certain era (the time that most yosposters were growing up) in which using a personal computer meant knowing some key principles of how a computer works with data, and that era was a one-time thing. if your primary interaction with digital images has been through a smartphone and its built in photo editors, do you even see a pixel figure anywhere? all that stuff is hidden and abstracted now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
oh and last semester i got an illustrator file set up like this

ok, yes, filled circle. very good.

wait, what's that going on at the edge?

and there's a little glitch inside the perimeter too. well let's just take a look at that in outline mode and

no way, they couldn't possibly -- let's reduce the stroke weight a bit and

:shepface: