Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

goodness posted:

Official Lorcana App came out this morning, all the cards are revealed now. The app even has a toggle to view the foil version of each card and they look great!

Ooof, yeah, the ability to look at specific cards in foil is really making my "I want pretty versions of My Favorites" tendencies act up something fierce.

Now to figure out what color best supplements Steel so I can justify wanting to play Tinker Bell, Giant Fairy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Magnetic North posted:

Still not sure what Storyborn or Dreamborn is but Floodborn seems to mean "Has Shift X as an ability." They all feel pretty expensive, but I guess paying in installments is worth it.

Storyborn: As they appear in the movie, full stop.
Dreamborn: Like, cool theming. An interpretation of them in the movie.
Floodborn: Straight up alternate version / alternate universe. Something to do with ink and illumineers and the story we'll get in Set 4.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
There's a few characters that have special abillities that match action cards. Beauty strange but special is definitely my favorite of the 1st set. I'm probbiyl going to build a saphire/amythist or saphire/steel deck as my first deck, and probibly include Tamatoa.

Giant tink is also very good.

(E: I feel like this game is going to have enough hype to have it's own thread)

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I have no clue where in the UK i'll be getting this but I'm definitely going to try it out. I think there's a prerelase event near me? Otherwise I think Amazon is probably where this is gonna be coming from.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Deleter posted:

I have no clue where in the UK i'll be getting this but I'm definitely going to try it out. I think there's a prerelase event near me? Otherwise I think Amazon is probably where this is gonna be coming from.

Probably ebay. Probably only ebay. FLGS allotments are being reported at 10-15%.

Edit: Lorcana IGN Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/disney-lorcana-tcg-preview-disney-fans-make-this-game-part-of-your-world

IGN posted:

In pretty much every game we played, both players inevitably ran out of cards in their hand and for the rest of the game they were at the mercy of their topdeck.

It’s easy to run out of cards because even though you start with a hand of seven and draw one card per turn, every turn you’ll typically be placing one card into your Inkwell and playing one or two characters/actions/items, so after four or five turns your hand will be empty. It's a bad feeling when you run out of cards because it feels like you’re not able to implement your strategy and the winner is whoever gets lucky enough to draw a game-swinging card first.

One game I tried to be extra conservative with my cards in order to avoid this problem, but by not playing many cards early on, my opponent was able to quest without consequence and gain a huge early lead. The game essentially forces you to play your cards out as soon as you’re able just to keep up with your opponent.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 25, 2023

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKeen posted:

Probably ebay. Probably only ebay. FLGS allotments are being reported at 10-15%.

Edit: Lorcana IGN Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/disney-lorcana-tcg-preview-disney-fans-make-this-game-part-of-your-world

Every LGS around me is charging inflated prices. $300 for a booster box is what they charge for those premium Magic sets with expensive reprints. Starter decks should be $15, $20 tops for a new game, but they're like $45. I've been through enough game launches like this to see that it's DOA.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
from what I’ve heard this is going to hit target and Walmart much harder than other ccgs and you should at least be able to get one of the collectors boxes pretty easily there

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

The Deleter posted:

The UK got surprisingly high allocations compared to the US, you'll have it easier than we do over here to start.

John Romero posted:

from what I’ve heard this is going to hit target and Walmart much harder than other ccgs and you should at least be able to get one of the collectors boxes pretty easily there

“Ravensburger also confirmed via press release that, starting September 1, Disney Lorcana product will be available at Target, Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, Barnes & Noble, FYE, Hot Topic, shopDisney.com, and select Disney stores in the U.S., as well as Toys R Us, Walmart, Mastermind, Indigo, and Gamestop in Canada.”

goodness fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 26, 2023

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

CitizenKeen posted:

I think thats largely an effect of them only having the starter decks, which are pretty limited. Its not really a problem on the digital client pixelborn with all the cards.

e: whoops double post

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

goodness posted:

I think thats largely an effect of them only having the starter decks, which are pretty limited. Its not really a problem on the digital client pixelborn with all the cards.

e: whoops double post

No, that allocation percentage is for boxes.

IP-violating digital implementations are convenient but don't usually carry a launch.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

No, that allocation percentage is for boxes.

IP-violating digital implementations are convenient but don't usually carry a launch.

I think they were referring to the quoted IGN review saying the game just came down to who topdecked harder, as that would be fixed possibly by a larger card base with better tuned decks.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Arivia posted:

I think they were referring to the quoted IGN review saying the game just came down to who topdecked harder, as that would be fixed possibly by a larger card base with better tuned decks.

Oh! Yeah, that makes sense. Quite possibly. I haven't bought a starter deck in two decades. How fun are they for other games, compared to having a broader card pool? Magic, Final Fantasy, etc. Is a starter deck usually indicative of a fuller version of the game?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Oh! Yeah, that makes sense. Quite possibly. I haven't bought a starter deck in two decades. How fun are they for other games, compared to having a broader card pool? Magic, Final Fantasy, etc. Is a starter deck usually indicative of a fuller version of the game?

In my personal experience, no, because you've often got simple cards that trade 1 for 1 and often the players don't have a good idea of the underlying mechanics so they can eke out some card advantage. Going to topdecking is not uncommon. This might have been solved in Magic with the good Jumpstart releases, but I haven't played those myself so I can't say for sure.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

To be fair, that's a problem with every TCG's starter decks. Hard to strike a balance between teaching the rules and enjoyable to play beyond base strategy.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
If I was considering buying into this game, this art would be making me so nervous.

https://starwarsunlimited.com/articles/a-taste-of-unlimited-possibilities

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

HidaO-Win posted:

If I was considering buying into this game, this art would be making me so nervous.

https://starwarsunlimited.com/articles/a-taste-of-unlimited-possibilities

I actually really enjoy the art, but I'm almost certainly in the minority.

I'm going to wait until next week when we see the promos, though. I stand by my working theory that tame base art incentivizes variant art as chase cards. But that's pure speculation.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I figure Unlimited is a big enough project that it incentivized them to find some kind of unifying art style with unique pieces of work. They've been repurposing their library of Star Wars art for loving ages. Probably what they're hoping to be an ongoing, successful thing with theoretically tens of thousands of eventual cards made them say ok we can't be beholden to the old existing stuff anymore. I'd guess it leads to a simple style guide when you commission an artist and then tell them to just go with a flat heavily shaded lightly cartoonish look and have it more or less fit in.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The art isn't the problem. It's the stupid 90s-looking frames.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The art is fine, but compared to the other big Disney ccg, it looks bad.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Toshimo posted:

The art isn't the problem. It's the stupid 90s-looking frames.

I feel like the frames are aping mobile games instead of other CCGs. It's closer to Hearthstone and Runeterra than FAB, etc.

Edit: Not saying I agree with the decision, I just think that's what they're aiming for is familiarity to a slew of people who never played a physical CCG.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Long shot here but… There was a gentleman many years ago who had a website where he posted reviews of dozens of dead ccg/tcg games as he played through them. I probably last accessed it ten years ago, and at that point he had worked through maybe fifty games or so, posting short reviews, a summary of whether it was worth seeking out or not, and, iirc, some example deck lists if you wanted to give the game a try.

It was a pretty cool resource (akin to https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43296/my-journey-back-ccgs if anyone hasn’t seen that geek list yet).

Someone should crowd source something like the crpg book, but for dead ccgs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Not quite on-topic but I tried to make my own card game in college, based around my own setting with robots inspired by like Megaman and Ghost in the Shell and poo poo. I lost it all in a computer switch.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

snickles posted:

Long shot here but… There was a gentleman many years ago who had a website where he posted reviews of dozens of dead ccg/tcg games as he played through them. I probably last accessed it ten years ago, and at that point he had worked through maybe fifty games or so, posting short reviews, a summary of whether it was worth seeking out or not, and, iirc, some example deck lists if you wanted to give the game a try.

It was a pretty cool resource (akin to https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43296/my-journey-back-ccgs if anyone hasn’t seen that geek list yet).

Someone should crowd source something like the crpg book, but for dead ccgs.

I worked at a hobby store in the 90s, and my boss assigned me to play every new TCG. I had a big collection of starter decks of so many TCGs, but I tossed them all in a move.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not quite on-topic but I tried to make my own card game in college, based around my own setting with robots inspired by like Megaman and Ghost in the Shell and poo poo. I lost it all in a computer switch.

It'd be interesting to see who played TCGs and didn't try their hand at making one. Hell, as I'm typing this, my daughter is working on her own card game. It's like Magic, but with cats, dogs, and capybaras. She even came up with the idea to rename Magic mechanics on her own, ha.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

I worked at a hobby store in the 90s, and my boss assigned me to play every new TCG. I had a big collection of starter decks of so many TCGs, but I tossed them all in a move.

I’ve ditched a number of ccgs that I regret, but even so, I probably have playable collections of 25 or so, most of which I’ve never played. Several I haven’t seen mentioned yet, some for good reason (simcity). I’m not as good a writer as the previous effort posts, but maybe this will spur me to get some stuff out and type something up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LifeLynx posted:

It'd be interesting to see who played TCGs and didn't try their hand at making one. Hell, as I'm typing this, my daughter is working on her own card game. It's like Magic, but with cats, dogs, and capybaras. She even came up with the idea to rename Magic mechanics on her own, ha.

:3:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

snickles posted:

I’ve ditched a number of ccgs that I regret, but even so, I probably have playable collections of 25 or so, most of which I’ve never played. Several I haven’t seen mentioned yet, some for good reason (simcity). I’m not as good a writer as the previous effort posts, but maybe this will spur me to get some stuff out and type something up.

:justpost:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

snickles posted:

Definitely post! Don't worry about the writing. I was going to make a run at SimCity myself, but I realized I don't remember enough about it to write on it any better than someone who googled it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LifeLynx posted:

I made a game I intended to give a Christmas present to my dozens of cousins and nephews. I never got it printed, but if anyone wants you can check out the cards and rules here.

https://gofile.io/d/i1ikCJ

MSE for the frames, Stable Diffusion for the art.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

LifeLynx posted:

It'd be interesting to see who played TCGs and didn't try their hand at making one. Hell, as I'm typing this, my daughter is working on her own card game. It's like Magic, but with cats, dogs, and capybaras.

Please tell me these are the colours.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
I'm a huge fan of CCGs with a particular fondness for dead ones. Not really sure why they appeal to me; many of them are simply inferior to other games. Others are fine, but aren't really suitable for the collectible format. I've collected far more games than I've played, and the majority of what I own I probably purchased with no intention of ever playing. Maybe one day. My Dead CCG career started with MTG sometime in the summer of 1994. Early enough to be new and mysterious, but too late to have acquired a collection of the most expensive and sought after cards. By the time I realized how the collectible aspects of the game worked, Legends was no where to be found and the game lost some of it's luster with The Dark and Fallen Empires. During this time I dabbled with a few other early games, most notable Middle Earth: The Wizards, a game that, in my opinion, has never been matched in scope. It was damaged by having some of the most obtuse, jargon heavy cards of any CCG ever released, as well as the overall complexity. Since then, I've dabbled in various CCGs and other collectible games, usually after they hit the bargain bin. I've found a few winners (Dreamblade, On The Edge), and a lot of losers (Sim-City, Warlord - based on the PC game, not the other, well regarded CCG). One of the best games, and one of my most recent acquisitions, is the Nightmare Before Christmas TCG released in 2005.

Nightmare Before Christmas TCG

Gameplay:

The point of the game is to score the most points by creating the best version of Halloweentown. The game takes place over the 12 days of Christmas, with each player putting Characters and Creations into play to make their own Halloween town the scariest. Each player's personal Halloweentown is composed of 6 locales - one starting local and five others dealt out randomly over rounds 2-6. Each locale has a threshold number in the upper right, which, once enough characters are at that locale, can activate that locale's function. Your initial location will have a scare threshold of zero and three basic functions, of which you can activate one without having any characters in play. As you add more locales and move characters to them, more options will open up as you reach the thresholds in those locations and can access the associated functions. For example, the cost for playing characters and the other two cards your deck is made up of, creations and surprises, is paid in pumpkin points. Your initial locale may be able to generate 2 or 3 pumpkin points when activated, giving you resources to start putting playing other cards. In general, you can only use the function of a single locale per turn, regardless of how many locations are "active" (i.e. the threshold for that location has been reached). A more advanced location, once active, may be able to draw cards and generate pumpkin points with a single action. Other locale functions may allow you to move characters around, search for specific cards in your deck, or have other novel effects.

Characters are the second main card type. You play these out of your hand by paying their cost (Scare Number) in pumpkin points. They can be deployed to any legal location, and if the total number of scare points at that location reaches the threshold, they can cause it to become activated. Most characters have special abilities in the card text that provide other benefits or combinations with other characters and/or locales. For example, Oogie can be deployed to his home location for 1 fewer pumpkin point but he doesn't really like to leave - normally if a card allows movement, you can move any character one card per movement point, but Oogie requires a little extra. Oh, yeah, movement. Generally characters cannot move on their own, but you can use the functions of theseholds or Surprise cards to move them from location to location. So a locale that generates 3 movement can move 3 characters 1 locale each, or 1 characters 3 locales, or any combination of 3 individual movements. Ideally, you'll try to get as many characters into place to keep your locales active to open up your options for future turns.

Surprise cards are NBC TCG's version of instants or sorceries. They let you break the rules, or react to an opponent, or myriad other things. They cost pumpkin points to play and often give you a choice of two functions, which may prove useful at different points in the game. Electric Lights, for example, acts as a tutor to find Jack; you draw the top six cards of the deck, take any that are named "Jack" and put them into your hand, and discard the rest. Alternatively, if Jack is already in play you can move him with a little more freedom than the normal movement rules. Any surprises that take effect immediately and then discarded are replaced by replacement card draws at the end of your turn - generally, you don't get to replace any cards played unless you use the function of a locale or other card. In other words, it usually behooves you to use surprises ASAP, but on the other hand, you could've used those valuable pumpkin points to try and deploy characters to keep your locations active. It's a constant struggle to determine the best use of your limited resources.

Creations are the final type of card. They are played permanently into your play area, and are largely a source of Scare Points at the end of the game. Some of them will have additional effects when they are played, and most of them are expensive. They often will have special abilities that discount their price based on having certain characters in play, or at certain locales. Essentially, you want to play as many cards as efficiently as possible to try and build up Scare Points.

The game lasts twelve turns, after which the Scare Points from characters, creations, and some surprises are added up and a winner is declared. During the first part of each turn, the players alternate as Pumpkin King, who selects a minor action that players can do based on certain criteria, sort of a proto-role selection mechanism. Each player then takes their individual turn. Each turn is fairly rapid, with each player activating an active locale, then playing as many cards as they are able to. Often, especially in the beginning, this may mean playing a single card and ending your turn. Ideally, some synergies will start to develop that let you make the most of your resources. Once you've got the hang of the game, you can finish in twenty minutes, and the built in time limit keeps the game quick and light. The cards are generally very simple and easy to understand, even for young children. The starter decks, of which there are 4, are well tuned out of the box and seem to be relatively balanced. There's definitely a lot of archetypes that they expect you to build decks around, but often you can use one subset of cards without being locked into a specific deck. The combos do often revolve around specific named combinations of cards, like the Characters Lock, Shock, and Barrell, and their respective locations. Deck building often seems like taking several subsets of cards that work well together to make a cohesive deck, as opposed to MTG or other CCGs in which you might decide on a strategy and select individual cards to support it. I honestly haven't done much deck building with the game, because the stock starters are fine. In fact, this game, moreso than many CCGs, seems to me to be a great candidate for a one-box release. I'm not sure that the collectible aspects really make it any more compelling.

There is very little interaction between players, which may limit the appeal of the game for some people. Also, while the art is still shots from the (fantastic) movie, the cards aren't particularly good looking. They're clean, simple, and easy to understand, but sort of pedestrian. The game is also simple, almost to a fault. It's one of the simplest CCGs I've ever played and, per BGG, roughly the same complexity as Carcassonne. There were two sets released, the initial set and a single expansion, Christmas Town. They are both relatively small, easy to collect, and still relatively inexpensive. A box of each will get you enough cards to play the game comfortably, except for one thing. The game has ultra-rares, which come 3/4 to a box. I think there's twelve in the original release, and six in Christmas Town, which makes it impossible to complete a set without buying several boxes of each or trading for them. I've never played with any of the ultra-rares, as far as I know there's nothing particularly special about them, but it is still an obnoxious practice, in my opinion. A second expansion focusing on the real world was never released. The company still has a pretty good website, https://www.quixoticgames.com/nightmare/index.html, from which I borrowed the card images.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Good write-up! I'll add it to the OP. Also, you joined MTG at about the same time I did. I (and probably a million other kids who are 40 now) missed the boat on Legends by a few months. The Dark was my first set.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

Good write-up! I'll add it to the OP. Also, you joined MTG at about the same time I did. I (and probably a million other kids who are 40 now) missed the boat on Legends by a few months. The Dark was my first set.

Clearly I’m enamored by CCGs in general, but I’m not sure that I’d have the same affinity for them if I had come around a few years later. There was something amazing about that time period. We didn’t know all the cards. If you were lucky, you might have a rough photocopy of the card list but who knew if it was accurate or not. We were totally enamored with dopplegangers and shivan dragons, probably considered totally subpar cards these days. I’d like to say I started playing in June; I think technically I could’ve come across some legends for sale, but at the time, even the base set was sold out everywhere.

To get this back on topic, the difficulty in obtaining magic cards also resulted in us buying everything mtg adjacent we could get our hands on and probably kickstarted my collection of (often mediocre) dead ccgs.

So, any others I’ll have to pull out and refresh my memory before writing anything up, but that was kind of fun. Would anyone be interested in hecatomb or firestorm? Or maybe dreamblade or navia drapt or range wars? I’ll have to see if I’ve got anything more obscure than that.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
there's a shop opening up in my local dead mall that is only going to sell japanese CCGs. idk if the market is big enough, the rent is cheap enough, or if someones uncle needs to launder money. its never been a better time to like weird card games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
well two of the big three card games are Japanese unless you mean they're selling like, exclusively import stuff

that's cool as hell though

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Lorcana 6th rarity revealed at gencon, Enchanted. They are the alt/full arts of the sets. Image is a little fuzzy, not the cards themselves.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

goodness posted:

Lorcana 6th rarity revealed at gencon, Enchanted. They are the alt/full arts of the sets. Image is a little fuzzy, not the cards themselves.

...oh no.

Time to do the same thing I do with FFTCG and pray none of my favorites get the FA treatment for the sake of my wallet. :ohdear:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pretty. If anyone tells Mrs Randalor those exist, I will hunt you down and I will make your life as miserable as mine will be until she gets all of them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

gently caress :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Lorcana is tearing the roof off the joint here, it’s insane.