Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
that’s my secret, Cap. I like all the space marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
That dreadnought list is wrong anyway because clearly the coolest dreadnought is the Space Wolf one with an axe and a shield.

Standard box dreadnoughts have always looked a bit goofy to me though. I think it's the lack of articulated points on the model which is why when you see them animated they always look daft.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Eej posted:

After all these years I'm very certain we'll never see Chaos Dreads again because of the de-emphasis on CSM as SM-but-spikey. Drop pods too. Instead of Dreads you have Helbrutes, Forgefiends and Maulerfiends. WE don't even have their own Terminators instead they have melee dudes who are better than Terminators except for when they are overcosted in 10th.

I think you could plausibly see Chaos Drop Pods but only after an update to the loyalist one.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Serious question - what does having a drop pod model do that just giving a unit deep strike doesn't?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

The Deleter posted:

Serious question - what does having a drop pod model do that just giving a unit deep strike doesn't?

Its like a hammerfall bunker except grants deep strike to units that don't otherwise get it, in exchange for weaker guns. It's a big model and can work as a line of sight blocker anywhere on the board.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Deleter posted:

Drop Pods can deliver any infantry on turn 1 instead of turn 2 or using the new Rapid Ingress strat on opposing player turn 1. Traditionally you'd do something like load it up with Devastators and then drop it turn 1 and alpha the gently caress out of someone.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Contemptors rock

Most dreadnoughts rock

The Brutalis does look kind of funny though, like storky

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Brutalis is fun because every time I imagine it tank shocking something I imagine it doing a cannonball dive into the enemy unit

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Games workshop yearly report is now up

https://assets.ctfassets.net/ost7hseic9hc/3Bxadr0YTIX0hGl1H7DPGe/8e1361726a8e0c8dfef9bcdae8299480/2022-23_accounts_-_final.pdf

the main points are

1- Games workshop is still growing it's profit margin, this year it's 15% increase, games workshop is doing great financially.

2- Surprisingly, the number of people subscribed to Warhammer+ is quite big, it's 133,000 subscribers, 30,000 people subscribed this year.

3- they claim they've fixed and overhauled their logistics and warehousing issues that was killing them in 2022.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What plastic glues/cement do folks use? I've been using Plastic Magic which is pretty thin, a lot of it seems to set by the time I've put the brush down and try to put the pieces together, and I've had a lot of bits pop off my last squad of Rubrics. I think I want something thicker, at least for certain joins where there may not be full contact.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

What plastic glues/cement do folks use? I've been using Plastic Magic which is pretty thin, a lot of it seems to set by the time I've put the brush down and try to put the pieces together, and I've had a lot of bits pop off my last squad of Rubrics. I think I want something thicker, at least for certain joins where there may not be full contact.

Tamiya Extra Thin, and it's far and away the best I've used. It's thin, but gives you plenty of time to position pieces.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Devorum posted:

Tamiya Extra Thin, and it's far and away the best I've used. It's thin, but gives you plenty of time to position pieces.

I'd been using Loctite Gel, and it's still really useful for some things (basing in particular) but ever since I picked up a jar of Tamiya Extra Thin, I can't believe I went years without it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I use both Tamiya extra thin and thick CA glue for different purposes. If I want to eventually break off an arm, CA glue. If I want to literally weld something together and then sand it down to remove any gaps between the pieces, plastic cement.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
CA glue is super glue, right? It's all I use because a non zero amount of the time I realize I need to break a piece off and change something; I think I've done it three or four times this year since returning to the hobby. Maybe other people plan better, lol.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
CA glue is often called super glue. I just wanted to be extra specific to prevent confusion.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

CA glue is often called super glue. I just wanted to be extra specific to prevent confusion.

Right, yeah, thank you. I legitimately didn't know and just wanted to ask for my own benefit.

I'd kind if like a cleaner way to apply my CA glue though, I messed up more than one of these models by accidentally squeezing on way too much. I'm using guerilla glue squeeze bottles.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you're gluing any type of resin, you want the thickest CA you can find and the spray accelerator.

The thick, gel CA - not regular CA that's gone bad.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jack B Nimble posted:

Right, yeah, thank you. I legitimately didn't know and just wanted to ask for my own benefit.

I'd kind if like a cleaner way to apply my CA glue though, I messed up more than one of these models by accidentally squeezing on way too much. I'm using guerilla glue squeeze bottles.

put glue on a toothpick first

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

I use Loctite Gel, and it has like squeezy grips on the side that make it very easy to apply the correct amount. It's pretty much the only type I can use with my tremors.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Devorum posted:

I use Loctite Gel, and it has like squeezy grips on the side that make it very easy to apply the correct amount. It's pretty much the only type I can use with my tremors.

Yeah I love the Loctite control gel. It’s more expensive than other brands (the tube inside the applicator is very small) but the convenience is worth it to me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah I love the Loctite control gel. It’s more expensive than other brands (the tube inside the applicator is very small) but the convenience is worth it to me.

Expense? In MY jewel like objects of wonder!?

I'll check that out ... when I run out of Guerilla glue. I front loaded a year or more of hobbying by buying the HH box, the Levithan box, and all the necessary supplies. And damnit, every week that goes by knowing I don't need to buy anything else feels good.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Kitchner posted:

Standard box dreadnoughts have always looked a bit goofy to me though. I think it's the lack of articulated points on the model which is why when you see them animated they always look daft.

i bought a lil metal box dread recently and boy howdy do i regret not buyin more of those cute lil guys

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I just get the glue that is made by the bob guy and has my lgs logo on it

speaking of which my lgs is moving to a different location with a huge downstairs area that will have a cafe/bar

should either be sick/close immediately

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Re: helbrutes, my plan is to buy a recast Mk4 box dread to run as Iron Warriors helbrute. Speaking of which, how does this list look?

quote:

iron Hounds (1000 points)
Chaos Space Marines
Incursion (1000 points)
Slaves to Darkness

CHARACTER

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour (140 points)
• Mark of Chaos: Chaos Undivided
• Warlord
• 1x Combi-weapon
1x Exalted weapon
• Enhancement: Liber Hereticus

Warpsmith (70 points)
• 1x Flamer tendril
1x Melta tendril
1x Plasma pistol
1x Warp hammer

OTHER DATASHEETS

Chaos Terminator Squad (195 points)
• 1x Terminator Champion
• 1x Accursed weapon
1x Combi-weapon
• 4x Chaos Terminator
• 4x Accursed weapon
3x Combi-weapon
1x Heavy flamer

Forgefiend (165 points)
• 1x Armoured limbs
2x Ectoplasma cannon
1x Ectoplasma cannon

Havocs (135 points)
• 1x Havoc Champion
• 1x Power fist
1x Power fist
• 4x Havoc
• 4x Close combat weapon
1x Havoc autocannon
1x Havoc heavy bolter
1x Havoc lascannon
1x Havoc missile launcher

Helbrute (155 points)
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Heavy flamer
1x Helbrute fist
1x Twin heavy bolter

Venomcrawler (140 points)
• 2x Excruciator cannon
1x Soulflayer tendrils and claws

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

How hard would it be to convert Azrakh the Annihilator into a Thousand Sons Sorcerer in Terminator Armor?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Cease to Hope posted this boss article which goes over different glues

And I'll just quote my own recommendation:

The Demilich posted:

Those are insanely good articles.

As far as glue goes I basically just use Bob Smith Industries Maxi-Cure Extra Thick (2 oz) I got for $11. It's a great deal compared to the gel glues (Loctite, Gorilla Glue) I previously used, but the hole in the nozzle is rather large which leads to drying/nozzle issues. For example you should probably never take the chance applying glue to a model directly.

To avoid this issue entirely I use PH PandaHall Glue Tips, you can but 100x of them for $6. They're lifesavers, allow for accurate glue placement, and the tip never dries out or gets stuck to the original nozzle. I leave the drat things on the bottle 100% of the time, and just throw the cap loosely over the PH tip; the glue has never dried out on me doing this.

Also buy Uhu glue. It's perfect for making gross strings and you can color it.

I have 2x bottles of Tamiya extra thin as well. I agree with the article on its preferred usage. One bottle will become sprue glue as soon as it gets to the right level.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Does anyone have a rough size comparison between a maleceptor and psychophage? I’ve got 2 nid halfs of leviathan and I’m thinking of using the second neurotyrant/psychophage for a conversion.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cease to Hope posted:

like, if you put these in with a squad of pre-leviathan terminators, they'd look a little static but comfortably part of the squad.

the old metal lumpinators are actually noticeably shorter than my old assault on black reach and assault squad terminators

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah I ran Deathwing back in the 90s and early 00s, those early terms do not match at all. I had at least some of every kind available at the time, mostly the really old metal ones. They are noticeably shorter, and the pose is very static in a push-fit marine kind of way. I love them, but I wouldn't mix them like I did back then.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cease to Hope posted:

the oldest metal terminators look almost exactly like they do now though?

like, if you put these in with a squad of pre-leviathan terminators, they'd look a little static but comfortably part of the squad.

Yeah about that...

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Eej posted:

Yeah about that...

"Don't talk to me or my son or my grandson ever again"

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Just an FYI that Tamiya Extra Thin is the best but if you want more of it at a discount, just buy the Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner as it is literally the same thing for less expense. I keep my Tamiya Extra Thin bottles because I like the brush, but I just refill them with the Cleaner.

I also love Bob Smith glues.

Also don't cement your models to your bases everybody! If you just superglue them, then when you drop the model, they'll just break off the base instead of tearing like they would with cements.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Eej posted:

Yeah about that...

That first one is still a great sculpt though! Looks like it is straight out of the black & white art from the 90s.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Eej posted:

Yeah about that...

Guy on the left is just missing his booster rock, give him a nice piece of outcropping and he'll be in busines!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
blanking this post, posting screwup

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 25, 2023

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Oh hey, I have that guy. He rules.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Captain Magic posted:

Just an FYI that Tamiya Extra Thin is the best but if you want more of it at a discount, just buy the Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner as it is literally the same thing for less expense. I keep my Tamiya Extra Thin bottles because I like the brush, but I just refill them with the Cleaner.

I also love Bob Smith glues.

Also don't cement your models to your bases everybody! If you just superglue them, then when you drop the model, they'll just break off the base instead of tearing like they would with cements.

For ready made glue I prefer Mr Cement SP over Tamiya as it's "hotter" and dries faster. Makes closing seams with the bead method a breeze. However if can be more difficult to find compared to Tamiya.

For cheap though you can buy Methyl Ethyl Ketone (Butanone) off eBay for £10 a litre which is the active ingredient of Mr Cement SP (the glue is 45% MEK with some additional solvents that make it cure faster). That's a whole lotta plastic glue.

There's also dichloromethane aka Tenax Plastic Weld but that's increasingly hard to find and you can't buy it in bulk from chemical suppliers anymore on account of it having a nice collection of hazard warnings.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

the second one is standing on a 4mm base (rather than the older 3mm) and a hero rock and that is the entire difference i am pretty sure

https://i.imgur.com/RjgBKwf.jpg

It isn't, I had a ton of them, the early metal ones are shorter and stouter, boosting them up does help a lot, but they still stick out like a sore thumb.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Is that head two feet tall or does he store his torso in the legs of his armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Is that head two feet tall or does he store his torso in the legs of his armor?

yes