Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Why aren't the Hungarian hackers breaking John Deere DRM working on getting the standard HP firmware images onto their subscription printers :bahgawd:

John Deere hackers are Ukrainian. Also printers are WMD material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Why aren't the Hungarian hackers breaking John Deere DRM working on getting the standard HP firmware images onto their subscription printers :bahgawd:
I've wondered similar things for a while, and why no one has even reverse engineered one of those old indestructible units like the LaserJet 4 where all the specs are readily available, repair parts at least were common at one point, and patents have entirely expired.

Take one of those physical platforms, build some open source replacement control board based off a Cortex-M or RISC-V design, and then let a bunch of overseas vendors battle it out to build cheap clones just like what happened in the 3D printing world.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I would absolutely, 100% buy a clone of the LaserJet 4 for anyone who wanted a printer in my org. Those things would be hanging out with cockroaches and tardigrades at the heat death of the universe.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

We just switched to a managed print subscription at my place and it's great. Printer's broken? Call the vendor and they'll send someone out to fix or replace it. Oops, print server went down? Forward the ticket to the one guy responsible for the print server. Now we only have to support things like users who don't know how to change their default printer, or don't know how to set it to double-sided or something.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Somehow, IT has managed to get a secure print system up and running and it just works. I've had very few problems with it since I started working here 1.5 years ago.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Knormal posted:

We just switched to a managed print subscription at my place and it's great. Printer's broken? Call the vendor and they'll send someone out to fix or replace it. Oops, print server went down? Forward the ticket to the one guy responsible for the print server. Now we only have to support things like users who don't know how to change their default printer, or don't know how to set it to double-sided or something.

We do the same with Xerox on campus. Its def pretty cool.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I don't remember the details on this setup or why the customer's router was in bridge mode, I think a contractor we don't use anymore for assorted clownery like this was to blame, but anyway once upon a time a managed printer guy setting something up for a customer managed to statically assign a public IP to a printer that belonged to a different customer and take them offline :allears:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I have to upgrade my AIX print servers this summer and I'm really dreading it.

2 AIX LPARs running qdaemon that ships PCL right over the wire to target printers. It's ugly as gently caress, but it works for the very few things we print from that environment anymore.

I was hoping to let them die on the vine, but they're going to stick around JUST long enough that I have to do something about them.

I'm seriously considering just standing up new LPARs and shifting the configs over.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've got a rescued HP Laserjet 1320n that was going to get tossed out of an office years ago. Its at 130,000+ pages and shows no signs of slowing down.

They can build good printers that last, they just cant make as much money doing it that way and have instead decided to pivot to "Printing as a Service" with your own hardware that you already purchased.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Printers used to be good. Then enshittification became the business model of basically all IT companies.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Printers were never good

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I was gonna say. At what time did you have in mind

Like ... ImageWriter II era maybe

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
In all seriousness if you’re still printing stuff off and wasting paper and having these idiots continue to make printers you are part of the problem

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

i am a moron posted:

In all seriousness if you’re still printing stuff off and wasting paper and having these idiots continue to make printers you are part of the problem

We have to print off Fedex labels to send gear out to remote workers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Delta gates at the airports all apparently still use dot matrix printers stuffed into wall cubbyholes, I noticed on my trip last week

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The best thing you can possibly buy if you only need to print shipping labels is a thermal transfer printer and a roll of precut adhesive labels. That industry seems broadly immune to building everything out of flimsy plastic, and nobody has tried to DRM the thermal ribbons because they understand you might need to use specialty inks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

i am a moron posted:

You definitely have considered all possible use cases, so I guess the printer industry should tell everyone wanting to print that they're wrong and just fold up tomorrow.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Indeed I have, thank you for reading my Ted X Talk

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

I have to upgrade my AIX print servers this summer and I'm really dreading it.

2 AIX LPARs running qdaemon that ships PCL right over the wire to target printers. It's ugly as gently caress, but it works for the very few things we print from that environment anymore.

I was hoping to let them die on the vine, but they're going to stick around JUST long enough that I have to do something about them.

I'm seriously considering just standing up new LPARs and shifting the configs over.

Have you considered leaving before this comes due? It worked for me dodging some huge auth projects.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

xsf421 posted:

Have you considered leaving before this comes due? It worked for me dodging some huge auth projects.

lol, I mean, the clock is ticking already after last year's announcements, but I've got time and 2 juniors I can pawn most of the work off to.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Arquinsiel posted:

Printers used to be good. Then enshittification became the business model of basically all IT companies.

Brother still makes solid laser gear, for anyone in the market.

EDIT: The Washington Post is running an entire week of printer articles and calling it "Printer Week" https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/07/10/printer-home-hacks-tips/

guppy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 14, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I was gonna say. At what time did you have in mind

Like ... ImageWriter II era maybe
LaserJets II through IV were good printers. It's all been downhill from there.

Honorable mention to the LaserJet 4250, as long as you didn't try to use it over that new-fangled USB port, which just didn't work.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

The best thing you can possibly buy if you only need to print shipping labels is a thermal transfer printer and a roll of precut adhesive labels. That industry seems broadly immune to building everything out of flimsy plastic, and nobody has tried to DRM the thermal ribbons because they understand you might need to use specialty inks.

I have bad news for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzSDJRC0F6c

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dymo has never made a decent printer in their company life. If you need a cheap thermal printer, Brother has the QL series(only consumable is the rolls), otherwise you can jump onto the industrial brands like Zebra (Dymo is smb/prosumer stuff) where even a used one has plenty of life to offer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I'm talking about the Zebra and Honeywell level of products. Once you're doing a decent volume the ability to use any roll media you can source and printing with thermal transfer outweighs the initial higher cost of the printer, and also you don't have any problems of heat making your label turn black.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
I work in local government. The third party application we use to run all the courtrooms and jail records has a critical bug with the latest version of Office apps. Vendor says they’re not fixing it anytime soon. I spent the last two weeks getting everyone downgraded to a previous version; thankfully the Office Deployment Tool can downgrade without much fuss.

Today we're finding out that the Office version required to use our courtroom app has a huge bug where it crashes when opening more than one file from OneDrive. The fix as recommended by MS is to update to the latest version. Which is again incompatible with our app. loving hell.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sunblood posted:

I work in local government. The third party application we use to run all the courtrooms and jail records has a critical bug with the latest version of Office apps. Vendor says they’re not fixing it anytime soon. I spent the last two weeks getting everyone downgraded to a previous version; thankfully the Office Deployment Tool can downgrade without much fuss.

Today we're finding out that the Office version required to use our courtroom app has a huge bug where it crashes when opening more than one file from OneDrive. The fix as recommended by MS is to update to the latest version. Which is again incompatible with our app. loving hell.

I'll take a wild guess that the support contract for that mission critical software has a SLA inbetween "lol, lmao" and " go gently caress yourself".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's sector-specific bespoke software so the support contract probably costs the GDP of a small country and every bug report is treated like a change request with its own contract and price tag.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

It's sector-specific bespoke software so the support contract probably costs the GDP of a small country and every bug report is treated like a change request with its own contract and price tag.

Eh, if it's software for medium to small government it's usually a badly negotiated tender, where adding the proper level of support would have costed 1% of the overall software tender. Please don't ask me how i know :negative:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Weedle posted:

are you loving serious? what are the model numbers so we know to never buy them

"HP"

Just don't buy any of them.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Girlfriend emailed her doctor's office some paperwork for an upcoming appointment. She got a reply asking her to fax it instead because it was "getting cut off" when trying to print it from the email.

I recommended she find a new doctor.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Knormal posted:

We have this, it would be better if our finance team actually PAID the contracts so that when there's a problem and we call the company they aren't like "lol you didn't pay, no support"; there's also multiple contracts depending on when we leased/bought the printer(s) instead of co-terming everything.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Last week while I was out apparently the company was delivering a new printer and dropped it four feet off the back of the truck, then tried to give it to the office anyway. So it's definitely not an entirely painless solution and still requires some degree of dealing with another company's customer support at times.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/hilare_belloc/status/1683797122628321280?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

got to see that unfold live in the secfuck thread, it was fun

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

some aftermath

stoopidmunkey posted:

it was performed by a third party and apparently I made someone cry. my boss thinks it’s hilarious.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I just came to add that. What a ride lmao

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lmao

The gall to send it to someone's personal phone too. They deserved what they got.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

some aftermath

stoopidmunkey posted:

it was performed by a third party and apparently I made someone cry. my boss thinks it’s hilarious.

I like to imagine Juliet gets to the office at 8:05 AM, sits down with her first cup of coffee, and begins to read responses to yesterday's phishing attempts. Suddenly, she's sobbing.