Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This game better have *something* in it I can gently caress

A high bar has been set. I'm looking for tentacles here minimum.

gently caress the bear in zEro g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
starfield romances leaked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT0t5VBX3gc

ymgve fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 25, 2023

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cool videos. Now I want one for the pirate crew character

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Floor is lava posted:

This is definitely a stretch here but they said it was heavily inspired by SunDog: Frozen Legacy wherein the game starts with player collecting parts to get the ship functional.

Including little resistor looking doohickies:

And I spotted this in one of the animated shorts:

Would be cool if it were a nod to it.

Edit: Watch this end up in some dumb rear end easter egg or "things you missed" video.

Indeed, my sources are actually saying that the whole game is secretly a remake of SunDog, but I'm not supposed to talk about it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

that is a big resistor

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

StarBegotten posted:

From what I have gathered from watching those parts a few times (and some of my own speculation) I think the start of the game is more or less the following:

• Start on Mars.
  • Fade from black into Lift going down into Martian mine?
  • First day as a new recruit for Argos Extractors as a miner on Mars, i.e. a 'Dusty'.
  • Find alien artefact due to cave in or accident.
  • Lose some memory/have neurological damage due to touching artefact.
  • Barret from Constellation arrives due to being told of you finding the artefact, takes you to Constellation in the starting space ship the Frontier.
  • They cant fix the damage to your brain, they need more info from the artefacts in order to do that. This is the motivation to join Constellation and find artifacts.
  • You have a unique reaction or sense about the artefacts to help find them?
  • They give you the Frontier (the ship) and Vasco (the robot) to help you find more artefacts.

Now watch my list be totally wrong! :D

Yup, totally forgot that hah. I guess the eventual "Start Anywhere" mod will fully realize the dream.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

StarBegotten posted:

Yeah I hope the backgrounds have some more meaningful impact on the game than 'just' what skills or equipment you start with.

As for starting locations, it seems from the trailers that its the same regardless, in that you start as a new recruit for Argos Extractors on Mars.

From what I have gathered from watching those parts a few times (and some of my own speculation) I think the start of the game is more or less the following:

• Start on Mars.
  • Fade from black into Lift going down into Martian mine?
  • First day as a new recruit for Argos Extractors as a miner on Mars, i.e. a 'Dusty'.
  • Find alien artefact due to cave in or accident.
  • Barret from Constellation arrives due to being told of you finding the artefact, takes you to Constellation in the starting space ship the Frontier.
  • They cant fix the damage to your brain, they need more info from the artefacts in order to do that. This is the motivation to join Constellation and find artifacts.
  • You have a unique reaction or sense about the artefacts to help find them?
  • They give you the Frontier (the ship) and Vasco (the robot) to help you find more artefacts.

probably get knocked out after touching the artifact and character creation is the quiz/exam from the medic asking if you're OK

yes i predict there will be not one, but two fade from black moments in the intro/tutorial

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Red faction mars start?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The prothean beacons strike again

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

look it's either this or you can wake up on a prison cart

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Azhais posted:

The prothean beacons strike again

A NEW HAND TOUCHES THE PROTHEAN BEACON

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Still, it's reassuring that these 1-minute promo cartoons are telegraphing a space sandbox sim for your nobody character by playing Bingo with the DnD alignment chart through some of the archetypal professions like the resolute scavenger, neutral merc, and the underworld rogue, and their respective factions. I'm still sure there will be an overarching convoluted main quest for your Tamrielic Master Chief to reactivate some ancient Ayleid array to free/vaporize the Nine Divines in all of their tentacled glory, even if solely for universe building.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I hope you get a hard save after the intro/before you have to commit to a build.

Fallout 4 let you save right before you left the vault. I held onto and used that save for years.

1200 hours in FO4 and that was mostly just loving around in Survival mode/doing different combat builds/playing the hardcore overhauls (Frost/Charles/Horizon) but it was a lot of the same thing for the most part.

I already know I want to do:
-a standard boy scout/soldier
-a ghost assassin
-a non-combat diplomat (there are lots of skills that point to this from what I understand, with companions for when fuckers gotta die)
-a long-haul space trucker
-a pirate
-a cyber runner merc
-a cyber runner Rob Zacny (gently caress capitalism, invest all my creds in home theatre equipment and lewis bags)
-a drug-addicted chem junkie just trying to fund my next fix

and more, really. gently caress I'm going to play this game a lot.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm hoping to play the shitposter archetype

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

VostokProgram posted:

Video Games › STARFIELD - look it's either this or you can wake up on a prison cart

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm going to be the dude who runs away from the cart and gets an arrow space arrow in the back.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

StarBegotten posted:

Yeah I hope the backgrounds have some more meaningful impact on the game than 'just' what skills or equipment you start with.

As for starting locations, it seems from the trailers that its the same regardless, in that you start as a new recruit for Argos Extractors on Mars.

We got shot in the head by Space Benny, got it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ymgve posted:

I can guarantee that your character background will mean gently caress all for the intro plot progression. It will not be some Cyberpunk-esque thing.
Good.

Don't get me wrong, Cyberpunk intros are great for helping to define your character and immersing you in the world, but there were only three of them in that game for a reason. I would like more origins and more varied origins. If you just pick them from a list, that's what you can have.

It's great they're giving you little videos to go with them. That's a good amount of effort to get you immersed in a backstory without making a whole level that only 1/16th of your players are going to see, but has to be super polished because it's the first thing they'll see.

(I'm assuming we're going to be getting more of these background videos before launch.)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's not like any of the cyberpunk intros matter either. They're just three doors that lead to the same "welcome to night city" montage

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Can't wait to play this. Constellation is going to give me a spaceship so that I can find the secrets of the universe and I'm going to immediately use it to smuggle drugs.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

VostokProgram posted:

Busting out of your jail cell to take over the prison ship would be a pretty awesome way to start the game, not gonna lie. Even naturally sets you up to have a crew (the other prisoners) and an obvious progression path (getting your stolen ship licensed).

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

John F Bennett posted:

Looks like the promo-train is starting up

I liked those videos but it really makes me hope for multiple start locations. Bethesda has a pretty piss poor records of doing that kinda thing though. I wouldn'ty mind if it was as shallow a difference as CP2077s intros, just so long as you started on different planets.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lexorin posted:

I liked those videos but it really makes me hope for multiple start locations. Bethesda has a pretty piss poor records of doing that kinda thing though. I wouldn'ty mind if it was as shallow a difference as CP2077s intros, just so long as you started on different planets.

I was going to say I think some of the backgrounds give you a different start location, but if the start is you touching the alien artifact and passing out, than yeah different start location isn't happening.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Eh, the footage from their preview makes it look like background is about on par with Cyberpunk's. They showed a few dialogue options that referenced your background in there, which is basically all they amounted to in Cyberpunk beyond the into scenes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

I was going to say I think some of the backgrounds give you a different start location, but if the start is you touching the alien artifact and passing out, than yeah different start location isn't happening.

If the first alien artifact is found on a ship that mysteriously jumps in, it could orbit any starting planet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

If the first alien artifact is found on a ship that mysteriously jumps in, it could orbit any starting planet.

I thought it was shown being uncovered in a mine? I mean if your mining an Asteroid it could be anywhere, but going to assume to assume if the game does start you with touching the artifact, the starting location will be the same for every player.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I actually would've been pretty amused at a prison ship

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

I actually would've been pretty amused at a prison ship

"We told you stop touching ancient alien artifacts. That's Prison for you pal!"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

is mr. ryujin going to have an impossibly sexy voice

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
mr ryujin is akatosh.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The emperor of the universe is being hunted by alien assassins and there's a secret passage to the escape pods through your cell.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I would so loving love if they rehired the voice actors from Skyrim and had them doing the same bad Norse accents for the NPCs in this, not gonna lie.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
They could be the Dron people from the planet Miryks.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Valatar posted:

I would so loving love if they rehired the voice actors from Skyrim and had them doing the same bad Norse accents for the NPCs in this, not gonna lie.

"I used to be a space explorer like you. Then I took a particle beam in the knee..."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dwesa posted:

"I used to be a space explorer like you. Then I took a particle beam in the knee..."

I fully expect this to be in the game.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I fully expect this to be in the game.

SUBSYSTEM TARGETING: Landing Gear. End their whole career

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Valatar posted:

They need to bring back the lady who pronounced the W in sWord. She was the best.

EDIT: This one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgiTizgKoiI

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I am pretty sure they hired the same voice actors again.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Almost certain I heard the “another settlement needs our help” guy from Fallout 4 in the trailers. Bethesda strikes me as a company that likes its clique of VAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BigglesSWE posted:

Almost certain I heard the “another settlement needs our help” guy from Fallout 4 in the trailers. Bethesda strikes me as a company that likes its clique of VAs.

I mean what else is there accounting department meant to do between tax seasons?

(I do miss 90's, let's just grab whoever's walking down the hallway while we're recording style voice for games.)