Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rowhouses are cool, all part of the missing middle housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
rowhomes generally seem fine from the idea that the development is at least generally more dense than your average garbage surburbia. Older shotgun homes rock because they actually usually have decent airflow as well.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
My city has buttloads of three-story rowhomes and it owns. The airflow is great and for decades and decades those neighborhoods had the highest population densities in the country.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Rowhouses ftw. Lots of older wooden ones here in Hali which are cool, all painted in fun colours. Should build more, the costs of giant concrete apartment buildings are insanely prohibitive compared to three/four story woodframes hence almost all new construction being luxury apartments/condos. Less density per building but like we're competeing with mcmansions on personal football fields here so whatever

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The town I just moved to has a bunch of apartment buildings like this

I wonder why these aren't more popular, they're basically cottage courts but with multi-unit buildings instead of single-family homes.

those are effectively illegal now because of parking minimums, the parking lot would have to be larger than the actual apartment buildings and no one is gonna pay for that

edit: the only way they can be built is in the exurbs where land is cheap as gently caress like this place https://www.google.com/maps/@40.432...i8192?entry=ttu

this is like a third of the parking lot

Maed has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Jul 26, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Airflow is actually surprising. I never thought about it before, but I've got two ceiling vents on the 3rd floor and that just funnels all the hot air upwards through the central staircase. The ground floor middle of the house maxes out at 81° during the worst of the summer 95-100° exterior heat waves, even with the oven on 500° for baking bread.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ardennes posted:

If you move around you can see there are connections between all the complexes, I guess having passes through structures saves some time, but usually on either end of a building there is going to be a path. Otherwise, if a group of structures has a local elementary school and basic retail (grocery/pharmacy etc), does it really need to be packed in, or can you just have people take a bike/bus to a nearby commercial zone? In this case, it is about 1 km away.

I am actually okay with the concept that you can have quiet residential areas with parks or play areas with standard amenities and then move your commercial areas elsewhere. You don't really need nightlife are peoples' on people's doorsteps or larger big box stores.
I don't necessarily have an issue with big apartment buildings with green space around them, I just think the implementation in the place you linked is not very good

eliminate the parking lots that some of the complexes have, connect everything properly in two dimensions in a way that lines up so you can actually walk efficiently, put other stuff on the ground level of all the buildings, and I think it would be much better with just as much green space

like, zoom out on the map:

this is not what a walkable place looks like (on a larger scale it looks a lot like an American suburb even though it's denser because of the apartment buildings). It's clearly designed intentionally in a way to discourage people who don't live in the complexes from walking through them. This comes at a huge cost to how many places you can walk to in 15 minutes. But if you were designing it from scratch you could fix it just by aligning everything properly, you just have to not try to make the complexes feel like gated communities

mystes has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Jul 26, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Maed posted:

those are effectively illegal now because of parking minimums, the parking lot would have to be larger than the actual apartment buildings and no one is gonna pay for that

edit: the only way they can be built is in the exurbs where land is cheap as gently caress like this place https://www.google.com/maps/@40.432...i8192?entry=ttu

this is like a third of the parking lot

lol of course it's murrysville

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

rowhouses ftw

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mystes posted:

I don't necessarily have an issue with big apartment buildings with green space around them, I just think the implementation in the place you linked is not very good

eliminate the parking lots that some of the complexes have, connect everything properly in two dimensions in a way that lines up so you can actually walk efficiently, put other stuff on the ground level of all the buildings, and I think it would be much better with just as much green space

like, zoom out on the map:

this is not what a walkable place looks like (on a larger scale it looks a lot like an American suburb even though it's denser because of the apartment buildings). It's clearly designed intentionally in a way to discourage people who don't live in the complexes from walking through them. This comes at a huge cost to how many places you can walk to in 15 minutes. But if you were designing it from scratch you could fix it just by aligning everything properly, you just have to not try to make the complexes feel like gated communities

Khrushchevkas are generally walkable from each other, they just aren't drivable, which is the point. If anything, the feeder streets are designed to be small and roundabout to keep speeds way down. There is parking, but it is really limited, especially compared to the US. You could walk straight through that area without an issue, you can just streetview to get a better look.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mauser posted:

Airflow is actually surprising. I never thought about it before, but I've got two ceiling vents on the 3rd floor and that just funnels all the hot air upwards through the central staircase. The ground floor middle of the house maxes out at 81° during the worst of the summer 95-100° exterior heat waves, even with the oven on 500° for baking bread.
There used to be a lot of thought towards this sort of thing. The tall turrets you see on some Victorian-era houses aren't mainly decorative. It actually utilizes the stack effect to pull hot air out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Khrushchevkas are generally walkable from each other, they just aren't drivable, which is the point. If anything, the feeder streets are designed to be small and roundabout to keep speeds way down. There is parking, but it is really limited, especially compared to the US. You could walk straight through that area without an issue, you can just streetview to get a better look.
I've been looking all around that area on street view and while some of the apartment complexes seem less car oriented than others, in the entire area it seems seems 100% impossible to walk efficiently in a straight line as a pedestrian except on the main roads because there would constantly be buildings in your way. Are you denying this or are you just saying because you can walk in a massively inefficient zig-zag pattern it counts as walkable?

Maybe the problem is that we're looking at different parts. Could you give an example of a specific apartment complex that you think is good in that area?

mystes has issued a correction as of 02:37 on Jul 26, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mystes posted:

I've been looking all around that area on street view and while some of the apartment complexes seem less car oriented than others, in the entire area it seems seems 100% impossible to walk efficiently in a straight line as a pedestrian except on the main roads because there would constantly be buildings in your way. Are you denying this or are you just saying because you can walk in a massively inefficient zig-zag pattern it counts as walkable?

It probably isn't possible to walk in a straight line, but there are foot paths and low traffic roads that you could get across very easily. I am looking in streetview and it looks very walkable to me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.901...i6656?entry=ttu

Here is an example

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The town I just moved to has a bunch of apartment buildings like this

I wonder why these aren't more popular, they're basically cottage courts but with multi-unit buildings instead of single-family homes.

Because living in them kinda sucks. If the courtyard is well maintained it can be a bit nicer, but units facing the courtyard don't get a ton of light, units in the sides and back are either facing a building, road, or alley. They're still pretty common here in Chicago and having lived in some because they were cheap it wasn't great.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

so I heard about this new theme park they're building off. a famous highway in America. innovatively, visitors drive around the park instead of relying on more traditional park systems like rail. how fitting.

quote:

Craig County, Okla. (July 19, 2023) – Today Oklahoma state and local officials joined American Heartland leadership to announce American Heartland Theme Park and Resort, a more than $2 billion entertainment destination development in northeast Oklahoma, just west of Grand Lake on Route 66. The development will be built in phases starting with a large-scale RV park with cabins scheduled to open phase one in spring 2025 and a world-class theme park and resort scheduled to open in 2026. The American Heartland Theme Park and Resort will offer a unique visitor experience rivaling the world’s top resort destinations.

“We are thrilled to make Oklahoma the home of American Heartland Theme Park and Resort,“ American Heartland CEO Larry Wilhite said. “At the crossroads of the heartland, Oklahoma is an attractive location for a family entertainment destination. The state’s business-friendly approach and innovative partnership efforts have helped make this possible. We look forward to bringing unforgettable generational experiences to Oklahoma.”

American Heartland will be a 1,000-acre development with a 125-acre theme park, which is comparable to the size of Magic Kingdom® Theme Park and Disneyland® Park. The park will feature an Americana-themed environment with a variety of entertaining rides, live shows, family attractions, waterways as well as restaurant-quality food and beverage offerings.

“Oklahoma is excited to welcome American Heartland Theme Park and Resort,” Oklahoma State Rep. Rusty Cornwell said. “Located on historic Route 66 just west of Grand Lake, the development will attract visitors from around the world to experience and celebrate the rich cultures and hometown values America has to offer.”

The adjacent 320-acre Three Ponies RV Park and Campground, designed by Oklahoma architects ADG Blatt, will be the largest campground in the central U.S. with 750 RV spaces and 300 cabins plus amenities.

“There’s no better place to represent the heart of America than northeast Oklahoma,” said Oklahoma State Sen. Micheal Bergstrom. “This $2 billion investment in our state will create more than 4,000 jobs and introduce a new category of entertainment to the region, and its long-term economic impact will be transformative. Tourism is already one of Oklahoma’s top industries and this project will elevate our state even further. Since tourism is a doorway to economic development, American Heartland Theme Park and Resort will draw new businesses not only to the surrounding area but also throughout the region and state.”

The developer is American Heartland whose leadership has deep Oklahoma roots. American Heartland is an affiliate of Mansion Entertainment Group, LLC, Branson’s leading performing arts, animation and studio brand.

Led by Executive Producer Steve Hedrick, the design team is made up of the world’s best theme park designers including 20+ former Disney Parks builders and Walt Disney Imagineers. Design firms include THG, FORREC and Cuningham, whose portfolios feature the world’s foremost theme park brands including Six Flags, Disney Parks and Universal Studios.

“We are pleased that American Heartland Theme Park and Resort has taken the first step and chosen Oklahoma to build a world-class entertainment destination,” said Hopper Smith, interim director of the Oklahoma Department of Commerce. “We look forward to assisting with this project as it develops.”

American Heartland Theme Park and Resort is a family-friendly park promising timeless fun and boundless adventure. The 125-acre theme park will feature a collection of six distinctly American lands to welcome guests on a journey through the best of the American story. Families will find thrilling rides and heartwarming shows as they discover Great Plains, Bayou Bay, Big Timber Falls, Stony Point Harbor, Liberty Village and Electropolis.

“American Heartland will be a place families can come together to create lasting memories, experience joy, laughter, imagination and wonder,” American Heartland Founder and Chief Creative Officer Gene Bicknell said. “There is so much to celebrate about our country: its landscapes, its cultures and most importantly, its people. No matter where you’re from, you’ll feel right at home at American Heartland.”

The development will also include a top-tier 300-room hotel and modern indoor water park.

“American Heartland will be an anchor tourist destination on Route 66 set to attract more than two million out-of-state visitors to Oklahoma each year,” Kristy Adams, senior executive vice president of sales and marketing for Mansion Entertainment Group, American Heartland and Three Ponies, said. “The scale and quality of the development will be unlike anything else in the region, making Vinita, Oklahoma a can’t-miss destination for families around the world.”

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mawarannahr posted:

so I heard about this new theme park they're building off. a famous highway in America. innovatively, visitors drive around the park instead of relying on more traditional park systems like rail. how fitting.

this will certainly save the american road trip on r66

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it's gonna be Disneyland for the chuds

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
novel experience while out on the bike this morning: there's a storm out today, and the headwind was so strong I had to shift almost all the way down to the granny gear to keep moving forward

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gradenko_2000 posted:

novel experience while out on the bike this morning: there's a storm out today, and the headwind was so strong I had to shift almost all the way down to the granny gear to keep moving forward

I loving hate this and it's why I don't ride my bike more. it's turbo windy here and I feel like a windsock pedaling at 2mph

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I live in Minnesota, and I am constantly getting my rear end kicked, either biking north or south.

Can't wait for the Chat Pile song about that CHUD Disneyland.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
i traveled exclusively by bicycle for five years in Wisconsin, it sucked less than driving.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hot Diggity! posted:

Because living in them kinda sucks. If the courtyard is well maintained it can be a bit nicer, but units facing the courtyard don't get a ton of light, units in the sides and back are either facing a building, road, or alley. They're still pretty common here in Chicago and having lived in some because they were cheap it wasn't great.

Living pretty much everywhere sucks though, nobody is getting what they want wrt to housing unless they're rich. The units in the picture are well-lit, in a nice area, and decently furnished. They're a four minute walk from a grocery store. surprised we insist on renting heterogeneous single family units instead of building more units like that.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i've only put 15k miles on my car in 3 years and i'm pretty happy about that

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mental health is so important
New Zealand justice minister resigns after car crash – DW – 07/24/2023

www.dw.com posted:

Justice Minister Kiri Allan was charged with reckless driving and offered her resignation after speaking with the prime minister. Allan acknowledged she needed to take care of her mental health.

New Zealand's Justice Minister, Kiri Allan, resigned Monday after police charged her with reckless driving.

Allan was involved in a car crash on Sunday in the capital city Wellington, Prime Minister Chris Hipkins said.

She was detained at the central police station and released four hours later. 

Police have charged her with careless use of a motor vehicle, as well as refusing to accompany a police officer.

She was handed an infringement notice after breath analyzers detected excess alcohol content.

## Allan apologizes for actions, talks about mental health struggle

Hipkins said he spoke with Allan on Monday morning and told her he thought she was no longer in a fit state to remain a minister.

Allan agreed and offered to resign from her position, Hipkins said. She will remain a member of parliament for now.

Allan said she was sorry for her actions, adding "Over recent weeks I've faced a number of personal difficulties."

"I took time off to address those, and believed I was OK to juggle those challenges with the pressure of being a minister," she said.

"My actions yesterday show I wasn't OK, and I've let myself and my colleagues down."

Allan had recently taken time off for her mental health after being involved in a public split with her partner and accusations of poor working relationships with staff.

Hipkins said that while "her alleged actions are inexcusable, I've been advised she was experiencing extreme emotional distress at the time of the incident."

"Her personal struggles with mental health have been well documented and it appears some of those issues came to a head yesterday" he added.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mawarannahr posted:

it's gonna be Disneyland for the chuds

so disneyworld

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

so disneyworld

presumably they're trying to woo the chud who is offended by woke Disney

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
my source in nyc says you will be arrested immediately if you try to ride the lincoln tunnel. It might be possible in some kind of flash/crank mob scenario

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i would be worried about air quality in there

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

imagine the road rage

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

my source in nyc says you will be arrested immediately if you try to ride the lincoln tunnel. It might be possible in some kind of flash/crank mob scenario

perhaps I am just no longer ‘with it’ but I haven’t heard of critical mass happening here in years

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
my biggest worry is you'll get trapped in there and you'll be forced to watch the 1998 sylvester stallone movie daylight

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Milo and POTUS posted:

my biggest worry is you'll get trapped in there and you'll be forced to watch the 1998 sylvester stallone movie daylight

i saw that movie in theaters and loved it, no idea if it holds up. i was like 10 or 11.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
i dunno it seems worth it to me. I also enjoyed daylight at the age of 10 and the air quality is pretty bad everywhere anyways.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

i saw that movie in theaters and loved it, no idea if it holds up. i was like 10 or 11.

I liked rambo when I was 10 and its still good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
daylight ftw

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

darkness ftw. gently caress the sun

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Maroon Hawk posted:

darkness ftw. gently caress the sun

:goonsay:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i've been enjoying getting out on my bike during hte day and getting as tan as my pasty rear end can get, which is not very, but it looks better than being pallid .sun ftw.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

i've been enjoying getting out on my bike during hte day and getting as tan as my pasty rear end can get, which is not very, but it looks better than being pallid .sun ftw.

make sure to put your sunscreen on or youll get a lobster face to match that shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Grassy Knowles posted:

make sure to put your sunscreen on or youll get a lobster face to match that shirt

lol my family and i went to the beach a few months ago and i got sunburned as hell, did not feel good at all