Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I watched some enterprise episodes recently and evey time it cut for a commercial I got panicky that the theme was going to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Okay but the song sucks and is bad

So does Enterprise, is the point I was getting at.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

Submarines tend to be very low-polygon in real life

Famously the Titan is now a single polygon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They didn't Tax Hole Prodigy, they just removed it from Paramount+ when they cancelled it. You can still legally buy it and the blu-ray for the 2nd half of the season was just announced last week.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Deepflight 1, the submarine in Enterprise.
https://web.archive.org/web/20120201142419/http://deepflight.com/subs/df1.htm
https://twitter.com/HumanoidHistory/status/1675209350829178880
Can't really find all that much significant about it online, I guess it was just the sub that the show could find footage from. Alvin would've been a better choice. Or maybe Jacques Cousteau's sub.

Tunicate posted:

Famously the Titan is now a single polygon.

More of a particle effect.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh that subs going to do a number on your back if you tried to use it for any significant amount of time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

MuddyFunster posted:

Okay, I was complaining about the out of tune timpani in the TNG theme, but now I'm starting an episode and it's... Not. It all sounds pretty good actually!

Did they redo the theme between the first two seasons? I'm irritated that it's taken me this long to notice.

I believe so, yes. I don't remember precisely which season but it used to sound much more '80s synth at the beginning.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Oh that subs going to do a number on your back if you tried to use it for any significant amount of time.

God I hope so

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
My Trek two-fer for tonight has been; A Matter of Honor, in which Riker flops out his massive balls over some Klingons and it's generally badass, no notes, though I've always harboured some confusion over the Klingon/Romulan Birds of Prey. Klingons and Romulans in general, actually! I feel like they have traits that get switched around a lot between generations, as it were. Wasn't the behind the scenes idea for The Bounty from III & IV that it was actually a stolen Romulan ship, hence cloaking or am I misremembering that bit of info? It's information that's left out of the films, so it doesn't really matter. You kind of just look at it and go "That's the Klingons alright!"

Second episode: The Measure of A Man, powerhouse stuff, the first I can truly say is a proper classic bit of Trek. A classic bit of science-fiction in general. Great acting from everybody, some real knockout speechifying from Patrick Stewart. With regard to Data, I think I prefer him taken at least SLIGHTLY seriously as opposed to wacky comic relief titting about on the holodeck with Joe Piscopo.

A great pair of episodes filled with great things!

And Pulaski is there too!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MuddyFunster posted:

My Trek two-fer for tonight has been; A Matter of Honor, in which Riker flops out his massive balls over some Klingons and it's generally badass, no notes, though I've always harboured some confusion over the Klingon/Romulan Birds of Prey. Klingons and Romulans in general, actually! I feel like they have traits that get switched around a lot between generations, as it were. Wasn't the behind the scenes idea for The Bounty from III & IV that it was actually a stolen Romulan ship, hence cloaking or am I misremembering that bit of info? It's information that's left out of the films, so it doesn't really matter. You kind of just look at it and go "That's the Klingons alright!"

Ah, for the alternate universe where TNG went with John M. Ford's Klingons, and Diane Duane's Rihannsu/Romulans.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The Measure of a Man has a great extended scene of Data's farewell party in Ten Forward where Maddox wanders in and Riker has to hold Worf back from ripping off his head :3:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MuddyFunster posted:

My Trek two-fer for tonight has been; A Matter of Honor, in which Riker flops out his massive balls over some Klingons and it's generally badass, no notes, though I've always harboured some confusion over the Klingon/Romulan Birds of Prey. Klingons and Romulans in general, actually! I feel like they have traits that get switched around a lot between generations, as it were. Wasn't the behind the scenes idea for The Bounty from III & IV that it was actually a stolen Romulan ship, hence cloaking or am I misremembering that bit of info?

In TOS' The Enterprise Incident, Spock says that Starfleet Intelligence reports that the Klingons and Romulans have been sharing technology (which is the on-screen explanation for why the Romulans are using Klingon D-7s; in reality, Wah Chang smashed the original Romulan Bird of Prey model after he got ratted out to the propmakers' union).

As originally written, the enemies in Star Trek III were Romulans. Then they became Klingon renegades who had stolen a Romulan ship. This is when the Bird of Prey was designed by ILM. Then the script was revised again and the ship just became part of the Klingon fleet (despite the Klingons never having used avian imagery in the past).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Timby posted:

In TOS' The Enterprise Incident, Spock says that Starfleet Intelligence reports that the Klingons and Romulans have been sharing technology (which is the on-screen explanation for why the Romulans are using Klingon D-7s; in reality, Wah Chang smashed the original Romulan Bird of Prey model after he got ratted out to the propmakers' union).

As originally written, the enemies in Star Trek III were Romulans. Then they became Klingon renegades who had stolen a Romulan ship. This is when the Bird of Prey was designed by ILM. Then the script was revised again and the ship just became part of the Klingon fleet (despite the Klingons never having used avian imagery in the past).

Wanting to steal a planet killing weapon is way more in line with how the Romulans operate. I guess they wanted something more visually distinct than 'vulcans, but not'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

The best one was S3’s Extinction, where the happy-go-lucky rendition of the theme was immediately preceded by an alien getting burned to death via a flamethrower while screaming horribly.
There's another season 3 episode with a cold open where several of the crew are dragging a crazed T'Pol through sickbay, strapping her down to a bed, she screams, and then cut to happy theme

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
How much of the enterprise intro is new footage? Is the ISS assembly stock footage? Then there's that shuttle launching. They also have that one shot of the phoenix from first contact before finally showing the enterprise.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Timby posted:

Wait, what?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

Wait, what?

Wah Chang is responsible for designing some of TOS' most iconic props and models, including the Romulan Bird of Prey, the communicator, the Talosian makeup, the tricorder and more.

However, he was not a part of the propmakers' union. Bob Justman devised a scheme where the accounting and purchase orders for the show said that they were renting the props off-the-shelf from Chang, as opposed to Chang making them for the show. Someone ratted Chang out to the union, and he destroyed the Bird of Prey in his backyard in rage.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Boxturret posted:

How much of the enterprise intro is new footage? Is the ISS assembly stock footage? Then there's that shuttle launching. They also have that one shot of the phoenix from first contact before finally showing the enterprise.

The ISS shots are all special effects. They had to be, since only the first few pieces of the station had been launched by 2001.

The rollout of the shuttle Enterprise is at least partially faked -- Enterprise never had her name on the forward fuselage below the windows, it's always been aft of that, on the payload bay doors. (My best guess is that that's actually footage of the rollout of Endeavour, and they photoshopped the name. I haven't found the actual original footage but I've seen photos of the event that look similar.)

And of course they did a bit of animation to add movement to some photos, like the bootprint on the Moon and the Sojourner rover rolling up to the Mars rock.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Powered Descent posted:

The ISS shots are all special effects. They had to be, since only the first few pieces of the station had been launched by 2001.

Yeah I was just wondering if it was something they made for the show or some render made by NASA.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Try not to think about the shuttle Enterprise in the intro too hard. Iirc, the shuttle Enterprise was named that by NASA after star Trek fans asked for it, and they gave the name to a shuttle that was never intended to go to space. So the lineage of the Enterprise name for the NX-01 is a shuttle named after a future iteration of the starship Enterprise. Now there's some time loop poo poo there. I'd love to see an episode of SNW deal with that actually.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Boxturret posted:

Yeah I was just wondering if it was something they made for the show or some render made by NASA.

Ah, okay. Yeah, as far as I know, it was made internally by the show's special effects people.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Timby posted:

Wah Chang is responsible for designing some of TOS' most iconic props and models, including the Romulan Bird of Prey, the communicator, the Talosian makeup, the tricorder and more.

However, he was not a part of the propmakers' union. Bob Justman devised a scheme where the accounting and purchase orders for the show said that they were renting the props off-the-shelf from Chang, as opposed to Chang making them for the show. Someone ratted Chang out to the union, and he destroyed the Bird of Prey in his backyard in rage.

Note that he was not permitted to join the propmakers' union, although he would have liked to (to get paid for his work above the table). The problem is that he was of Chinese ethnicity.

Kinda makes the rage a little more understandable.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
BIG RECOMMEND: check out the Wah Chang Vimeo channel. Uploading lots of archival special effects tests, behind the scenes footage, and HD versions of some of his commercial effects work.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Fighting Trousers posted:

It sounds like it was the lead single of a 90s Christian pop-rock band trying to make their break into mainstream radio.

(it's also an insidious earworm)

Just like the Federation!

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

feedmyleg posted:

BIG RECOMMEND: check out the Wah Chang Vimeo channel. Uploading lots of archival special effects tests, behind the scenes footage, and HD versions of some of his commercial effects work.

Jesus, sifting through all of that, getting especially transfixed by the workshop footage, only to finish on the Oscars win where his name was left off. loving hell, devastating.

Looking through his wiki page and seeing just how extensive his Star Trek stuff was. Balok's SCARY face! That very image on the end credits that haunted me throughout childhood! SPOCK'S HARP, CHRIST.

MuddyFunster fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 25, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Futurama in 4k is really crisp.

Come to think of it, has any other show done the SD->HD->4k progression before?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Have any of those soap opreas that have been going on for 50 years or so gone on to 4k, as if so might even get B&W SD -> 4k.

I was going to say Dr Who but the latest season seems to just be on HD.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Law & Order almost counts, except it was never in SD (it was always shot on film).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Looking at what's actually available in 4k, and wow they really isn't nearly as much as I thought there would be. Haven't bothered to check for a while. Seems netflix started 4k streaming in 2014 apparently, and getting near ten years on from that it's still very, very far from universal.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Eimi posted:

For general music in the shows, TNG really suffers once they lose Ron Jones. His scores like The Borg Engaged add so much and I hate the trend for music within an episode to fade away and not be important.

Losing Ron Jones was unfortunate but it really came down to Berman bringing the hammer down mid-TNG and insisting on the sonic wallpaper. Dennis McCarthy was plenty capable of big bombastic space opera music, too; some good example episodes include The Arsenal of Freedom and Contagion.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Jay Chattaway's music for Tin Man was also pretty energetic.

MuddyFunster posted:

Okay, I was complaining about the out of tune timpani in the TNG theme, but now I'm starting an episode and it's... Not. It all sounds pretty good actually!

Did they redo the theme between the first two seasons? I'm irritated that it's taken me this long to notice.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it got re-recorded at least once or twice during the show's run.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 25, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's funny is Ron Jones went on to do Family Guy and Seth asked him to do similar music to the ending of BoBW to the cliffhanger of Stewie Kills Lois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtZ2S2gWngo

Complete with TNG font for the end credits.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 25, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I want to retract every negative thing I've ever said about Seth MacFarlane. (Mostly from the writing of the Orville but still.)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Eimi posted:

I want to retract every negative thing I've ever said about Seth MacFarlane. (Mostly from the writing of the Orville but still.)

Let's not go crazy now!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh man "Distant Origin" is a good episode. Probably Chakotay's best outing on the series so far.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

Try not to think about the shuttle Enterprise in the intro too hard. Iirc, the shuttle Enterprise was named that by NASA after star Trek fans asked for it, and they gave the name to a shuttle that was never intended to go to space. So the lineage of the Enterprise name for the NX-01 is a shuttle named after a future iteration of the starship Enterprise. Now there's some time loop poo poo there. I'd love to see an episode of SNW deal with that actually.

There's an easy sidestep: flip the name origin around. They named OV-101 after the most decorated carrier in WWII. That's who the Enterprise is named after.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've got to go with the classic: TOS theme is the best.

My man :respek:

Best modern one without a doubt.

Arivia posted:

Law & Order almost counts, except it was never in SD (it was always shot on film).

I think OTA NTSC transmission counts as SD.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think the thing I like most about Prodigy's theme (amongst a lot, it's dope) is the opening notes of the TOS intro at the coda, down to the instrumentation

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh hey, does the viewing order of TOS matter all that much? I'm realizing that Paramount+ is showing them in remastered order which is different from original broadcast order, though I'm guessing in general everything is standalone enough that I'm not gonna miss much just watching in the default remastered order.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh hey, does the viewing order of TOS matter all that much? I'm realizing that Paramount+ is showing them in remastered order which is different from original broadcast order, though I'm guessing in general everything is standalone enough that I'm not gonna miss much just watching in the default remastered order.

There’s no significant plot arcs and only vague continuity. “Where No Man Has Gone Before”and “Corbomite Maneuver” were produced first but aired later, so some stuff in those might look a bit off relative to all the other episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FISHMANPET posted:

There essentially was no order originally, so you're fine. There's no "real" first episode, just whichever one the network finally decided to air. The only continuity you'd notice at all would be if you jumped between seasons.