Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gato posted:

lol this last part actually sort of happens - the al-Qaeda fighters you're up against have (seemingly infinite) modern weapons and armour provided by the Russians (or possibly looted off Blackwater). the protagonists are dismayed by this, presumably because (going back to what was said upthread) it's their god-given right to only get shot at by barefoot people with AKs

for those who haven't played, you actually do get to torture a guy at a black site in MW2019. that's not new for CoD (it happens in Black Ops and probably other ones I don't remember), but what is new is that the game lets you chicken out and wait outside if you want, but if you do the badass SAS dude will tell you you're a pussy

but yes, can't wait for the universally praised, harrowing first-person sequence where you stagger around in the woods dying after a drug deal gone wrong, hearing your buddies talking about how to make it look like an OD

Can't wait to play a mission where you're in Mali and instead of doing anything related to Mali, you're going to go light up the green beret who is gonna snitch on you for getting taking a taste of the bribery fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Danann posted:

yeah kojima's not making any more metal gear games these days

stephenthinkpad posted:

These MW plots are hilarious. Can't wait to see EA and Activeblizzard falling themselves over trying to make a video game Prigozhin and not nearly as funny as the real one.

Coup Voteman just doesn't roll off the tongue

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DougieCoullPics/status/1682830392582103040

not a sub guy but i don't think they're supposed to have rust on them

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's no way to climb out of a submarine and paint it because it lives under water, also nobody can see it anyway because it's underwater, qed everything is fine

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Danann posted:

Wait, outbound? It's leaving the pen for a patrol looking like that?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Danann posted:

Lol is that some kinda caulk paint skim coat? I guess their reported max depth is 1500 ft but maybe they just keep it close to the surface on patrols?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tom Clancy reliably informed me that American subs are covered in rubberized briquettes and super secret sonar stealth paint tho

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Hatebag posted:

Lol is that some kinda caulk paint skim coat? I guess their reported max depth is 1500 ft but maybe they just keep it close to the surface on patrols?

It's dazzle paint duh.

They'll never say of course, how they conduct their patrols.

I was reading a book by someone who served on P-3s and he said that the Soviets had a box they liked to operate in 1000 miles west of California, and their pattern became obvious as one boat left and another came in. He said they liked to operate nearer to the surface since it's nosier there, not that it stopped the P-3 from tracking them. I don't have the book with me, didn't finish it yet, and this was in the 60s/70s before they got DIFAR sonobuoys.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Well yeah if they're out there to do the apocalypse on a moment's notice there's no reason for them to be way down deep. I figure they're basically just hanging out in a $3B tin can fulla farts until they run low on food or have to murder millions of innocent people

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the Ohio class is also from the 1970s/80s and is pretty much the whole the US' counter-strike sub capability. no biggie

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I guess we also are just looking at a picture of a rusty submarine with no context. It might just be going between sub pens for repairs or something. Like it coulda come in at Connecticut and had to go to Virginia because it was all hosed up.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hatebag posted:

I guess we also are just looking at a picture of a rusty submarine with no context. It might just be going between sub pens for repairs or something. Like it coulda come in at Connecticut and had to go to Virginia because it was all hosed up.

No, it is showing the obvious downfall of the United States.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

yo what’s going on with us special forces? is there a series of articles or a book to explain how they went from the best of the best to drug smuggling murderers?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

poisonpill posted:

yo what’s going on with us special forces? is there a series of articles or a book to explain how they went from the best of the best to drug smuggling murderers?

They were always drug smugglers and murderers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

poisonpill posted:

There's a false assumption in here

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
our special little forces

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

KomradeX posted:

They were always drug smugglers and murderers.

Google Golden Triangle

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

poisonpill posted:

hth

https://www.theonion.com/clinton-deploys-very-special-forces-to-iraq-1819565019

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Relentless Strike is the best book on the creation of the GWOT SF machine, but you have to read between the lines in some parts.

There are some articles as well, Inside the Pentagon’s Manhunting Machine: A brief history of special operations, from Panama to the war on terror, The Truth About Afghanistan's Zero Unit Night Raids, THE CIA’S AFGHAN DEATH SQUADS: A U.S.-Backed Militia That Kills Children May Be America’s Exit Strategy From Its Longest War, The Crimes of SEAL Team 6 and the hilarious wired article Actually, Special-Ops 'Night Raids' Are Rather Gentle

Pictured: "Rather Gentle"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J1ctr877qs

Code Over Country: The Tragedy and Corruption of SEAL Team Six, Surprise, Kill, Vanish: The Secret History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators, and Assassins

The shortest answer I can give is that SF's fortunes ebb and flow with expeditionary wars. In periods of conventional war, they're tiny, and used to photograph beaches and take sand samples, maybe seize the occasional airfield or bridge. However, in the maintenance of empire, they rapidly expand.

Nearly all French troops in Indochina were paratroops or marines, with each having Tier One and Tier Two units. In Algeria, there was a larger French regular army presence, but in a garrison role. The "mobile forces" were marines, commandos or airborne. French SF then shrinks for decades before expanding rapidly again after 2004.

The BAOR was the star of the show for most of the Cold War, with hardly anyone applying to the SAS before the Iranian Embassy Siege. On the other hand, the Paras were sent to Northern Ireland, and a half dozen other places. SAS was also active in Northern Ireland. Royal Marines were in Suez, Malaya and a half dozen places as well. Marines and Paras stole the spotlight in the Falklands.

US SF units went from unimportant in Korea and WW2, to huge in Vietnam, to small again, to growing from a few hundred guys at most in 2000 to ~50k now - the size of an army corps.

Someone on CSPAM has articulated it more succinctly, but there's a good deal of evidence that the role of Special Forces in western militaries, in colonial campaigns, is basically to carry out widespread murder and terror, while the rest of the military either stays put in fortified base camps or patrols handing out candy or whatever. That describes Malaya, Indochina, Algeria, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:32 on Jul 26, 2023

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Tom Clancy reliably informed me that American subs are covered in rubberized briquettes and super secret sonar stealth paint tho

pretty much everyone uses the rubber tiles now, the Russians love those things and most modern American subs are also covered in them

so long as they stay stuck on the boat they make it dramatically quieter, like, 90% quieter

unfortunately they're glued on and over the last few years there have been major problems with the glue failing and huge patches of the tiles falling right off of US submarines, with the Brits apparently experiencing the same problem

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't need to know anything about the topic to bed certain that the glue fails because of substandard materials grift

I imagine the Russians screw them on or something

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
What is the payout odds for "they came from china and we blame ccp for our own greed"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It isn't always greed admittedly

Sometimes it's just raging incompetence, like the steel brittleness tests for the subs being totally falsified because the lady just cbf doing her job

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

No, it is showing the obvious downfall of the United States.

Oh, ok

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If I remember, the idea of rubber covering started with U-Boats, where it was codenamed Alberich. I seem to recall adhesive was used instead of screws because if some screws fell out but others remained it created a whistling or rattling or something, where an adhesive will peel away without the same acoustic signature. I could be completely wrong, but I'd start by reading up on Alberich, since it was one of those late war things that was supposed to turn the war around but had some sort of technical shortcoming.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Frosted Flake posted:

Relentless Strike is the best book on the creation of the GWOT SF machine, but you have to read between the lines in some parts.

There are some articles as well, Inside the Pentagon’s Manhunting Machine: A brief history of special operations, from Panama to the war on terror, The Truth About Afghanistan's Zero Unit Night Raids, THE CIA’S AFGHAN DEATH SQUADS: A U.S.-Backed Militia That Kills Children May Be America’s Exit Strategy From Its Longest War, The Crimes of SEAL Team 6 and the hilarious wired article Actually, Special-Ops 'Night Raids' Are Rather Gentle

Pictured: "Rather Gentle"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J1ctr877qs

Code Over Country: The Tragedy and Corruption of SEAL Team Six, Surprise, Kill, Vanish: The Secret History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators, and Assassins

The shortest answer I can give is that SF's fortunes ebb and flow with expeditionary wars. In periods of conventional war, they're tiny, and used to photograph beaches and take sand samples, maybe seize the occasional airfield or bridge. However, in the maintenance of empire, they rapidly expand.

Nearly all French troops in Indochina were paratroops or marines, with each having Tier One and Tier Two units. In Algeria, there was a larger French regular army presence, but in a garrison role. The "mobile forces" were marines, commandos or airborne. French SF then shrinks for decades before expanding rapidly again after 2004.

The BAOR was the star of the show for most of the Cold War, with hardly anyone applying to the SAS before the Iranian Embassy Siege. On the other hand, the Paras were sent to Northern Ireland, and a half dozen other places. SAS was also active in Northern Ireland. Royal Marines were in Suez, Malaya and a half dozen places as well. Marines and Paras stole the spotlight in the Falklands.

US SF units went from unimportant in Korea and WW2, to huge in Vietnam, to small again, to growing from a few hundred guys at most in 2000 to ~50k now - the size of an army corps.

Someone on CSPAM has articulated it more succinctly, but there's a good deal of evidence that the role of Special Forces in western militaries, in colonial campaigns, is basically to carry out widespread murder and terror, while the rest of the military either stays put in fortified base camps or patrols handing out candy or whatever. That describes Malaya, Indochina, Algeria, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Related to that, I've been needing a few citable papers on the light infantry mafia and rebutting their arguments for a bit. Got any good examples of the type?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It isn't always greed admittedly

Sometimes it's just raging incompetence, like the steel brittleness tests for the subs being totally falsified because the lady just cbf doing her job

Granted, it would be kind of funny if the company are deliberately better producing substandard products for years and she was just the fallperson for it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StratGoatCom posted:

Related to that, I've been needing a few citable papers on the light infantry mafia and rebutting their arguments for a bit. Got any good examples of the type?

I would just read Defeating The Russian Battalion Tactical Group while showing slides of the past two months of footage in Ukraine.

More seriously, someone in the West Point journal put out an article a few months ago about this, though the title escapes me.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Just make the subs out of rubber, bing-bong so simple. Actually I’ll create a startup that does that for 10 billion per submarine. Any pentagon officials in the thread pleas PM me, I have compromising photos of you, if that makes the process easier.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
the rubber submarine tiles are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anechoic_tile?useskin=vector

wikipedia article but if anyone wants to rabbit hole that has the terms you'd want to be using

gonna put in an order for some https://www.andhrapolymers.com/submarine_acoustic_rubber.html

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cuttlefush posted:

the rubber submarine tiles are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anechoic_tile?useskin=vector

wikipedia article but if anyone wants to rabbit hole that has the terms you'd want to be using

So I was right about Albrich?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

outer hull being a bit rusty is mostly a non-issue but it does both paint a funny picture about the "richest country in the world" and have the crew wonder what shape the pressure hull is in i bet :v:

Truga has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Jul 26, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

So I was right about Albrich?

yeah. im not clear on the physics of the holes (they're baffling :v) in alberich but they were rubber too. which is kind of funny given germany's rubber woes

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
we all live in a rubber submarine…

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i almost ran into a submarine once. they are sneaky fuckers

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Hatebag posted:

37% of the nuclear attack sub fleet is being repaired or waiting for repair currently. The goal is less than 20%. Presumably this number is lower for ballistic missile subs, but it still indicates how overstretched the repair facilities and workers are.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

StratGoatCom posted:

I posted this a couple pages ago fwiw: https://ndupress.ndu.edu/JFQ/Joint-Force-Quarterly-108/Article/Article/3264605/americas-special-operations-problem/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The photo captures the entire thing, really

Navy SEALs conduct High Altitude Low Opening airborne operation in support of exercise Arctic Edge 2022, in Deadhorse, Alaska, March 4, 2022

The Navy underwater demolition team needs to deploy by parachute, from extreme altitude, over the frozen tundra to do what exactly? It's a capability in search of a purpose, only it's become self-sustaining and self-mythologizing to the point where purposes will be created for it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

The photo captures the entire thing, really

Navy SEALs conduct High Altitude Low Opening airborne operation in support of exercise Arctic Edge 2022, in Deadhorse, Alaska, March 4, 2022

The Navy underwater demolition team needs to deploy by parachute, from extreme altitude, over the frozen tundra to do what exactly? It's a capability in search of a purpose, only it's become self-sustaining and self-mythologizing to the point where purposes will be created for it.

quote:

This growth is not confined to operational units. Today, USSOCOM is far larger than the Army staff, which oversees a force that is seven times larger.4 Today, Army Special Forces consists of five Active-component groups and one training group, each commanded by a colonel—and 19 generals. The Navy Special Warfare community, with fewer than 10,000 Sailors, boasts 13 admirals. The push to super-empower the SOF community is seen clearly in recent efforts to elevate the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operations and Low-Intensity Conflict to Service secretary status.5

jesus christ lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the president sits down in the situation room to deal with the exploding conventional land war in europe and all twelve of the generals in the room with him have huge beards and oakleys