Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Google map speed is actually very fast, I would only take 1/4 time off the google estimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think google maps just assumes a fixed speed of 10mph for biking so how accurate that is totally depends on your actual route

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Hollismason posted:

Realistically how long of a commute in a city could a 4 mile trip be on a electric bike. Google tells me 30 minutes but I think it should be shorter.

I just did a 10 mile trip in Chicago and it was around 30ish minutes. But I also don't stop at most lights or stops signs unless I absolutely have to, and I try to 25mph+ as much as I can.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Will the fact that you're on an ebike mean the authorities will be stricter on you stopping at stop signs and lights?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Does anyone have e mountain bike recommendations? Particularly stuff which has a very big largest size. Not as interested in downhill stuff, but would like to do more blue/green trails. It seems like some of the ones which keep showing up are stuff like the Spectral:ON, nukeproof megawatt, and specialized turbo levo? They’re all pretty $$$ but it seems like maybe that’s just how e mtbs are?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Hdip posted:

Will the fact that you're on an ebike mean the authorities will be stricter on you stopping at stop signs and lights?

lmao they can try. I can effortlessly just jump on the sidewalk and then go the opposite direction and dip through alleys and stuff. they'd be wasting their time trying to talk to me at all.

but this is Chicago. I passed a couple cops and they asked me what I was riding and they just said "cool" and I drove off through the light cause no one was coming. they don't care. ymmv literally and figuratively though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

hark posted:

lmao they can try. I can effortlessly just jump on the sidewalk and then go the opposite direction and dip through alleys and stuff. they'd be wasting their time trying to talk to me at all.
I don't think that running from the police is actually a great idea

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

mystes posted:

I don't think that running from the police is actually a great idea

then don't do it lol

I'd rather take my chances.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hollismason posted:

Realistically how long of a commute in a city could a 4 mile trip be on a electric bike. Google tells me 30 minutes but I think it should be shorter.

My 4.5 mile commute is ~20-30 minutes depending on the day, but my route has a few intersections where blowing a light would be suicidal, and sometimes I have to wait for a bridge.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
In my many years of riding, the cops have only gave out tickets to running the red light on 1 occasion and then the rest of the time they only pick on law abiding ebike delivery guys and e-vespa/gas vespas going over the bike lane of a bridge.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

hark posted:

then don't do it lol

I'd rather take my chances.

Chicago PD is famous for their even keeled, tempered responses when people run from them.

Seriously, do what you're going to do, but don't advocate for irresponsible poo poo.

stephenthinkpad posted:

In my many years of riding, the cops have only gave out tickets to running the red light on 1 occasion and then the rest of the time they only pick on law abiding ebike delivery guys and e-vespa/gas vespas going over the bike lane of a bridge.

Delivery guys Anybody riding gas scooters over narrow bridge bike paths can get hosed though.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hdip posted:

This will vary widely depending on where you live. I've been riding my ebike regularly for years without ever being asked about it let alone hassled by cops. Probably helps that I don't ride like an rear end and the average cyclist here is a dickbag.

If anything I ride much more by-the-book on the ebike because the incentive to maintain speed is so much lower. When its nearly effortless to get back up to speed why blow stop lights/signs?

mystes
May 31, 2006

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If anything I ride much more by-the-book on the ebike because the incentive to maintain speed is so much lower. When its nearly effortless to get back up to speed why blow stop lights/signs?
Yeah I feel like this too. It's easier to fully stop and slow down around pedestrians on an ebike because it's so easy to accelerate again compared to a normal bike, where it's tempting to try to maintain your inertia whenever possible

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hollismason posted:

Mine is about exactly this long and is 22-24 minutes; however I have to spend part of it on residential roads and I am a stickler for obeying stop signs even if the intersection is apparently dead. If you just had a straight shot I would say 15-20 is reasonable.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

No lock can protect you from a loud rear end angle grinder in board daylight. Sorry dude.
A decent chain is a complete PITA even with an angle grinder.

incogneato posted:

Is this normal for less expensive hub motors? I'm fine with it and I wouldn't be shocked to learn that a nicer Bosch motor is much quieter than whatever hub ones Aventon uses. But I wanted to make sure it wasn't a sign that I need to get it replaced under warranty or the like.
It's because cheaper hub motors are geared.

Hollismason posted:

fully depends on traffic/signals. Riding normally you can easy maintain ~18mph.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 23, 2023

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tildes posted:

Does anyone have e mountain bike recommendations? Particularly stuff which has a very big largest size. Not as interested in downhill stuff, but would like to do more blue/green trails. It seems like some of the ones which keep showing up are stuff like the Spectral:ON, nukeproof megawatt, and specialized turbo levo? They’re all pretty $$$ but it seems like maybe that’s just how e mtbs are?

You might have better luck in the mountain bike thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933905

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I'm in the Chicago area. Half the trip there is a bike lane all the way down. The other half is Mad Max danger zone that I have yet to figure out how to bike through. Like a 1 lane bike path turns into a 6 lane highway for a good distance then back to a 4 lane road. I'm trying to figure out the best path but its going to be difficult.

I do not want to ride my bike on that 6 lane road.

There is fortunately a way to double back and get back on that simpler road though. Just this giant area though that turns into a 6 lane highway.

I think what I'm going have to do is take the bike path halfway there, then ride up, cross a bridge , go across and get on a bike path heading back the way I came then get on the lesser used road that's not a 6 lane highway.

Edit:

I don't want to dox myself but if anyones interested in helping me scout a route PM me and we can talk about it. I'm also on Discord as Hollismason

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 23, 2023

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I'm in the Chicago area. Half the trip there is a bike lane all the way down. The other half is Mad Max danger zone that I have yet to figure out how to bike through. Like a 1 lane bike path turns into a 6 lane highway for a good distance then back to a 4 lane road. I'm trying to figure out the best path but its going to be difficult.

I do not want to ride my bike on that 6 lane road.

There is fortunately a way to double back and get back on that simpler road though. Just this giant area though that turns into a 6 lane highway.

I think what I'm going have to do is take the bike path halfway there, then ride up, cross a bridge , go across and get on a bike path heading back the way I came then get on the lesser used road that's not a 6 lane highway.

Edit:

I don't want to dox myself but if anyones interested in helping me scout a route PM me and we can talk about it. I'm also on Discord as Hollismason

I used to be a messenger so I'm comfortable riding wherever.

are you doing a north/south trip? east/west? actually I'll just dm you about it lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

hark posted:

I used to be a messenger so I'm comfortable riding wherever.

are you doing a north/south trip? east/west? actually I'll just dm you about it lol

Cool just hit me up in PM. I'll explain my route.

Google maps wants to murder me. Its like "Hey yo just totally bike down this road all the way there NBD".

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hollismason posted:

Cool just hit me up in PM. I'll explain my route.

Google maps wants to murder me. Its like "Hey yo just totally bike down this road all the way there NBD".

Google Maps is insane and over-values the routes that cities have officially designed as bike routes. The Strava route planner is a better way, because it takes into account where people actually ride. We've got some absolutely heinous poo poo here in Nashville that's our official, city-approved bike route. One nice trick around town is that the bike lane frequently disappears on the steepest uphill part of a heavily-trafficked road, and then reappears at the downhill.

https://www.walkbikenashville.org/bike_routes_in_name_only?locale=en

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think strava is necessarily that great either because, especially if you live in a place that sucks and not many people are riding bikes, it's probably heavily weighted toward serious road cyclists who tend to buy into vehicular cycling

In the US in 2023 I think you just have to carefully manually check the routes

Some other countries have actual data on how much traffic roads get and more sane ideas about what a safe bike route is and in those countries I imagine that automated routing works a lot better

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mystes posted:

I don't think strava is necessarily that great either because, especially if you live in a place that sucks and not many people are riding bikes, it's probably heavily weighted toward serious road cyclists who tend to buy into vehicular cycling

In the US in 2023 I think you just have to carefully manually check the routes

In most of the country there is no alternative to vehicular cycling, I'd just ideally prefer to vehicular cycle on roads with a speed limit less than 50mph and where I can stay in the right lane.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I just want to show you guys this Super73 owner has been locking the bike in this corner on and off for the last half year. I am surprised it hasn't been taken yet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't bike on any road that is not max limit 35 miles per hour. I also avoid 4 lane roads as much as possible. I have a regular bike that gets me around but my ebike will be for commuting.

I think I've got my route planned, I mean it'll take just a slight amount of backtracking but its pretty much a straight shot bike lane then nice residential street that doesn't probably have a lot of traffice.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

This will vary widely depending on where you live. I've been riding my ebike regularly for years without ever being asked about it let alone hassled by cops. Probably helps that I don't ride like an rear end and the average cyclist here is a dickbag.

Yeah I've been thinking about this more and more lately. It's almost always the non e-bikes that blow by me while I'm stopped at red lights, give way signs or for pedestrians. Super dangerous behavior. I prefer cycling among cars compared to among cyclists since I ride my bike like I'm driving a car (i.e. follow the rules), and drivers here are generally chill. But it's not really allowed if there is a cycle lane.
Many cyclists here do whatever they want with no regard for anyone or anything but saving a second here and there.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Hollismason posted:

I don't bike on any road that is not max limit 35 miles per hour. I also avoid 4 lane roads as much as possible. I have a regular bike that gets me around but my ebike will be for commuting.

I think I've got my route planned, I mean it'll take just a slight amount of backtracking but its pretty much a straight shot bike lane then nice residential street that doesn't probably have a lot of traffice.

You could check if you’ve got a bike advocacy group in your area. Where I live they’ve got some nice established routes for common commutes they share out. The one other thing to avoid is left hand turns as much as possible imo. You can always hook turn, but it’s slow and I find myself getting lazy with it.

Nocheez posted:

You might have better luck in the mountain bike thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933905

Ty for this! Didn’t realize we had one

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
I've been looking at ebikes for a while, but still not sure what to get. Any decent brands to look at in the UK?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

hogofwar posted:

I've been looking at ebikes for a while, but still not sure what to get. Any decent brands to look at in the UK?

What’s your budget?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

kimbo305 posted:

What’s your budget?

Something around £2k, though I'm pretty flexible. I think I would prefer a mid-drive bike with torque sensors at the very least.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You need to raise your budget for a middrive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

stephenthinkpad posted:

You need to raise your budget for a middrive.

The pound is worth more than the dollar/euro still. I glanced at cycle-heaven.co.uk because I don't know any UK bike retailers, and you can get a fair number of Gazelle mid-drives for 1800 GBP. What kind of riding did you have in mind? Any specific features?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 25, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Check what electroheads are shilling for that price. Just be careful of the Vanmoofs of the industry.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can't help you with UK, but if you are in the US I would recommend Priority Current with the costco discount.

There are also a couple Canadian shop carry Bafang M600 middrive, they can be brought for under 2k USD.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I am hopefully going to be moving in the next month and change. I have had a 20-minute walk to work for the last decade, haven't owned a car in... I don't know, 12 or 13 years? And my new place has an almost hour-long commute, whether I choose to ride the bus and deal with traffic, or take the longer walks and the light rail but with a lot of hill (or a transfer to a street car). I don't relish the idea of an hour-long commute, and a car is right out (the cost just for parking at work would be ~$4000 a year, to say nothing of the car payment, insurance, maintenance, registration, etc.). I haven't definitively settled on e-bike as my preferred commute method (I may go with a scooter or something instead), but even if I bike to and from light rail instead of handling it the whole way, I figure it would shave ~20 minutes or so off my commute each way, every day, which is a ton of loving time. The commute itself is 6.5 miles of hills (Google Maps says 440' of ascent, 300' of descent on my way to work). My work starts fairly late in the morning (9:30am), so here in the Pacific Northwest, my morning commute will pretty much always be in the daylight (unless I have to come in early in the winter) and my evening commute will be in the dark probably 7-8 months a year.

When it comes to biking, I am basically a complete neophyte. I haven't been on a bike in well over 20 years, I'm a fatass, and I am something of a klutz. While the drivers in Seattle aren't any more aggressive than drivers in most places (probably significantly less so), they are terrible drivers. I also tend to be a fairly confrontational pedestrian, in that I'm very disinclined to put up with bullshit from drivers; I will smack a car hard enough to hurt my hand on its side or hood if they take my right of way or block a crosswalk, I have hit cars that drive past in crosswalks I'm in, I will stand in front of a car that honks at me for crossing the street through a couple of light cycles just to extract a price from them. I don't know if that would necessarily translate to being an rear end in a top hat cyclist--I feel like I'd be a lot less confident at it than I am at being a pedestrian--but there's a good chance it might. Which all makes this seem like maybe not a great idea (but I figure I'd lay it out for the thread so I get informed advice).

I also have a grocery store that's not quite a mile away that I think it'd be nice to be able to bike to as well, though I'm not sure if I should be looking at a different kind of bike for that purpose (the new place has lots of storage, could definitely have two bikes there).

It seems like with the hills, the distance, and my lack of fitness, e-bike is the way to go (even if I take light rail, I have hills at both ends), but I figured I'd start here and see what people can recommend, and any tips for commuting you'd have. I read through the OP, and it seems like a class 1 or class 2 would probably work for me; one concern is weight, since I'd be occasionally hauling this thing on public transit; how heavy are these things? I know batteries aren't light, is it possible to haul them around on light rail/get them into front-of-bus racks relatively easily?

EDIT: I meant this for the bike commuting thread, but I'd actually love some input from here as well.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 26, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just get a good looking bike, you can ride 6 miles on any ebike. Also spend a decent amount on the lock.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think I would use any bike for .75 miles at both ends of a light rail commute. A scooter might make more sense for that.

If you can find a nice route commuting the whole way on bike/ebike would make sense imo (if you get an ebike make sure there's a good place to secure it at work though)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

I don't think I would use any bike for .75 miles at both ends of a light rail commute. A scooter might make more sense for that.

If you can find a nice route commuting the whole way on bike/ebike would make sense imo (if you get an ebike make sure there's a good place to secure it at work though)

Work has a large bike cage. Worth noting that the .75 miles is 115' of the descent and 320' of the ascent on my way to work, so a lot of the hill is in that spot (though my coworkers seem to do okay with their e-scooters).

mystes
May 31, 2006

If the light rail allows bikes, maybe see if you can borrow any normal bike from someone and try biking one direction of your possible route on a weekend or something and taking the light rail back to see how it is?

If you like it then maybe buy an ebike if you feel like it would be easier to do both ways every day that way

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 26, 2023

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

KC Metro bus racks are limited to 45lbs, iirc, and many ebikes blow way past that.

You can find lighter ebikes, but you will often spend for it (carbon frames ain't cheap) and it will probably mean an integrated battery. Specialized SL models come to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
.75 miles is a silly distance for an ebike. I'd probably use the time as my exercise for the day, or get a foldable e-scooter.