Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah this is definitely modern carpet, so its rather stiff. I mean it still rolls and folds and everything but its definitely stiffer than any other material I’ve worked with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
What I would do, personally, is cut the carpet to size, bind it with cotton or polyester tape while it is flat, and then sew the canvas gusset to the binding.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
That sounds like a good idea, thanks. Would you do that just for the carpet parts or for the parts where other fabric is connecting to the carpet as well?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'd hem or bind the canvas sides as well.

I might back the carpet with your lining fabric before binding it too.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
OK thanks, the whole order of operations to make this bag is screwing with my head. Like if I was using normal fabric I'd essentially make a second bag out of the lining material and then attach to the outer bag. I don't know if I'll be able to turn out a carpet bag though so I figured that normal way of doing things may be somewhere between difficult to impossible.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Ok I'm really curious what the story behind this carpet is, if you want to share?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Sure, so the carpet comes from the Indiana Convention Center, home of the Gen Con gaming convention. The carpet has a unique pattern and was a staple of the convention for over a decade. This year the convention center decided to replace the carpet with a new pattern and several people, including myself, were nostalgic for the old carpet and all of the good memories its design brings up from time spent at Gen Con. The carpet went to auction back in June and people were buying it by the pallet load for up to $400 per pallet. Those people have since been selling the carpet like me to do arts and craft projects with, or to just turn into area rugs. There has been enough demand that there isn't much carpet left to resale at this point.

FYI a similar thing happened a few years ago with some carpet at a Marriott associated with Dragon Con. People went even more nuts for that carpet than they did for Gen Con carpet, and turned it into costumes, storm trooper armor, all kinds of stuff.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I really like the idea, to make something you can presumably bring with you to the next con.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hi crafty people!

I don't know if this is the best thread for this question but I've been looking at Cricuts and Cricut alternatives to help me with cutting leatherette, thin cloth and paper for making camera leatherette coverings and bellows.

Does anyone have strong opinions on what's out there? Ideally I'd like something relatively compact I can keep in a cupboard when not in use that is also broadly compatible with DXF and SVG files so I can cad up my own designs easily.

This is the kind of stuff I make, currently sketched and cut by hand so you can see how much work goes into it. This is a bellows for a Century Speed Graphic camera.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I really like the idea, to make something you can presumably bring with you to the next con.

Yup, thats the plan!

There is a local sewing place that does consultations on projects by the hour that I think I might use for this. I am not that confident in my plan for this bag and I don’t want to waste the material I have on something that isn’t going to work.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

nesbit37 posted:

OK thanks, the whole order of operations to make this bag is screwing with my head. Like if I was using normal fabric I'd essentially make a second bag out of the lining material and then attach to the outer bag. I don't know if I'll be able to turn out a carpet bag though so I figured that normal way of doing things may be somewhere between difficult to impossible.

Ok this is the order I would do things in for a super simple bag:

--CLEAN THE CARPET
--back carpet with canvas (not sure if you'd need to glue it in place or not).
--bind carpet and canvas so you have a single finished piece of material.
--use canvas to make a very long strip with finished ends that will serve as both the strap and the sides of the bag in an upside down U shape.
--fold backed carpet into the trifold envelope shape of the bag and sew the canvas strip and the edging of the carpet together.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I started quilting with a 40+ year old Viking that I inherited, and it's time to buy a second machine with more modern features. The plan is to go to a local dealer or two and play with some options, but I really want to narrow things down to a few models first. Researching machines has been kind of a pain in the rear end because some of the manufacturer sites are a mess, and some brands list prices that are noticeably higher than what I'm seeing on the dealer sites.

I want at least 8" throat space, a needle down setting, thread cut button, speed control, and a couple of font options for making quilt labels. I'm also hoping to get something that comes with an extension table, a walking foot, a free motion foot, and a hard cover. An extra built-in LED light would also be a plus. Ideally this would be the only machine I buy in the next decade, so I'm willing to go as high as $2k. I mostly just make quilts, but I'd like to try a few bags eventually.

I've been looking at the Juki F600 and DX7, a few Janome Memory Craft machines, and a couple of Pfaff Ambitions. I'm Pfaff-curious mostly because there are models in my price range that include their integrated dual feed gadget, but I'm not sure how that would compare to quilting with a regular walking foot. Does anyone have any experience with those models? Or any sewing machines in a similar range they'd recommend instead? The options are a bit overwhelming, and the folks I'd usually ask for recommendations are all Bernina People.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

deety posted:

I started quilting with a 40+ year old Viking that I inherited, and it's time to buy a second machine with more modern features. The plan is to go to a local dealer or two and play with some options, but I really want to narrow things down to a few models first. Researching machines has been kind of a pain in the rear end because some of the manufacturer sites are a mess, and some brands list prices that are noticeably higher than what I'm seeing on the dealer sites.

I want at least 8" throat space, a needle down setting, thread cut button, speed control, and a couple of font options for making quilt labels. I'm also hoping to get something that comes with an extension table, a walking foot, a free motion foot, and a hard cover. An extra built-in LED light would also be a plus. Ideally this would be the only machine I buy in the next decade, so I'm willing to go as high as $2k. I mostly just make quilts, but I'd like to try a few bags eventually.

I've been looking at the Juki F600 and DX7, a few Janome Memory Craft machines, and a couple of Pfaff Ambitions. I'm Pfaff-curious mostly because there are models in my price range that include their integrated dual feed gadget, but I'm not sure how that would compare to quilting with a regular walking foot. Does anyone have any experience with those models? Or any sewing machines in a similar range they'd recommend instead? The options are a bit overwhelming, and the folks I'd usually ask for recommendations are all Bernina People.

I have been looking at the Jukie F600 and DX7 myself! There's a thread on PatternReview specific to Juki that has some good info. You'll need to be logged in to see more than one page, but the discussion starts about here-ish: https://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/Topic/71899/229#3049889

Basically all those machines have fans on PatternReview, so it'll come down to price and if you like the dealer better. The DX7 seems to be preferred over the F600, but if you don't need more motor power either seem to be fine.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I have a Pfaff Quilt Ambition and I loooove it. I was able to quilt a not quite queen size quilt on it. Literally my only complaint about it is that it's really loving heavy (which is good for sewing but bad for hauling around to sewing class).

Edit: I think I'm the only other person here who is primarily a quilter.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

The only Juki dealer near me and the only Pfaff dealer near me are the same place, and they carry the Pfaff Quilt Ambition but not any Juki DX7s or F600s. The same owners run the only other two Juki dealers within about 2 hours of here, so their inventory is exactly the same. The sales rep I spoke to on the phone helpfully mentioned that they have a "newer model" Juki that's similar to the DX7, but that one is $4,000, so... no? That's not really comparable at all?

One of the reasons I was interested in the Juki was that there seems to be a ton of info about them online. Coming from a weird vintage machine that I felt lucky to even find a manual for, it would be amazing to have YouTube tutorials on every little feature of the exact machine I'd be using. I also like the number of accessories it comes with. I'd be a little worried about buying one online if I ended up with a warranty issue though.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I have a Pfaff Quilt Ambition and I loooove it. I was able to quilt a not quite queen size quilt on it. Literally my only complaint about it is that it's really loving heavy (which is good for sewing but bad for hauling around to sewing class).

Edit: I think I'm the only other person here who is primarily a quilter.

My current machine is stupidly heavy, and that does put me off signing up for classes unless I'm really enthusiastic for them.

What do you think about that integrated dual feed on the Pfaff? Does it work well enough to use for most/all of your quilting, or do you still need a separate walking foot at times? And do you do any free motion quilting with it? The Pfaff website no longer has a page for the Quilt Ambition 630, so I had to find the manual to even see what it comes with. I'm guessing that means they've been discontinued?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Dealers have their own model numbers to keep them separate from internet sales-- there's a Juki equivalent to both of those with names like 2000QVP or HZL-DX7 or something. They have different accessory packages mainly. I'm surprised the dealer didn't steer you into their versions, instead of a ridiculously not appropriate $4k model!

And yeah it sounds like that Pfaff model is probably discontinued, but I wouldn't take it off your search. You might get a good deal on one for that reason!

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Their website has all the models they carry, and in the Jukis, their stock skips from the $600-800 range right into the $4k models. I called just to double check, and yeah, those are the only ones they sell. The same place sells Pfaff, Janome, and Brother machines, so I'm guessing it's an issue of space. I do find it a little annoying that the only Juki dealers in our entire area don't stock the mid-range models. I may check for dealers near my parents' house because at least I have other reasons to go to that area just in case there's a problem.

And while I'd rather have the new shiny thing soon, I could also wait for QuiltCon in February and see if they have any good show deals.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

deety posted:

What do you think about that integrated dual feed on the Pfaff? Does it work well enough to use for most/all of your quilting, or do you still need a separate walking foot at times? And do you do any free motion quilting with it? The Pfaff website no longer has a page for the Quilt Ambition 630, so I had to find the manual to even see what it comes with. I'm guessing that means they've been discontinued?

I really like it! As far as I'm concerned, there are only two feet: the quarter inch foot (for piecing) and the other foot (for everything else). Unless I am doing a zipper or button, those are the only feet I use.

I will admit to not doing much free motion because I'm not very good at it, but a woman in my sewing class does a ton and she has a similar Pfaff model.

I also just got a really cheap lightweight Brother machine for taking to class. I had one for 10+ years and it served me well in every way, and now I can leave it in my car while I keep the Pfaff set up at home (since the Pfaff is probably worth more than my car at this point). I'll sew at home way more often if I have a machine set up all the time, too.

PS my mom works at the quilt store so I texted her to see if they can order a Quilt Ambition.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

This is great info. Thank you! Someone in my guild has a different machine with an even feed that she's had mixed results with, but it's good to hear that the one on these works well. I make a lot of smaller quilted projects, so it would be convenient not to have to keep changing out the walking foot.

Thankfully the local dealer has several in stock, and they're having a sale through the end of the month. So I can definitely go in and play with the Pfaff and see how it feels.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Do we have any weavers in here or is there a better thread? I'm slightly confused by the layout of this draft on the page and just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

I think the box under the tie up is the treadling and the one to the right is the lift plan if you're just using hand levers, is that right?

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I've never seen a draft laid out like that but I'd lean to the same assumption as you. Is it from a book? Sometimes they'll have a little section about how they write drafts to avoid confusion.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Jinxie Monroe posted:

I've never seen a draft laid out like that but I'd lean to the same assumption as you. Is it from a book? Sometimes they'll have a little section about how they write drafts to avoid confusion.

It's from Ashford's magazine and I'd hoped for a key like that, but I've had no such luck in this issue or on their website.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.

BonerGhost posted:

It's from Ashford's magazine and I'd hoped for a key like that, but I've had no such luck in this issue or on their website.

I found this article on lift plans vs tieup & treadling on their website that pretty consistently refers to the table loom version specifically as the lift plan so seems like that's the right idea.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Jinxie Monroe posted:

I found this article on lift plans vs tieup & treadling on their website that pretty consistently refers to the table loom version specifically as the lift plan so seems like that's the right idea.

Awesome, that's the one I saw too. Thanks for looking at it.

Here's what I've got so far:

It's not quite as crooked as it looks in the pic, but I'm probably beating it too tightly. This one's practice anyway, I warped up enough to make three of these to have plenty of room to mess with it.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.

BonerGhost posted:

It's not quite as crooked as it looks in the pic, but I'm probably beating it too tightly.
I generally stick to my inkle or tablets for belts but the one time I used my floor loom I did find it tricky to not beat too hard. Are you using the beater bar or a belt shuttle?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nesbit37 posted:

This web page has an excellent summary; haven't tried it myself, but it looks sensible.

https://www.betterdressesvintage.com/blogs/from-my-closet/making-a-victorian-carpet-a-bag

e: The dowel handles would get very painful very fast, so I'd suggest doing what the Victorians actually did and use applied handles. https://emmalinebags.com/products/shoulder-bag-straps-24-9-genuine-leather-braid-style-2-straps is one option; another is adding strap hangers to the top of the bag. https://emmalinebags.com/collections/bag-hardware/bag-hardware_strap-connectors-anchors

God, Google search is *hosed* for buying stuff nowadays.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 8, 2023

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thanks, I just skimmed those links quick and this all looks very helpful. I just got some fabric I am hoping to use to line the bag with this past weekend. I don’t know when I am going to get to actually start sewing this bag but I am guessing its going to be this fall when the sewing place that does consultation for projects like this opens up more slots.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Jinxie Monroe posted:

I generally stick to my inkle or tablets for belts but the one time I used my floor loom I did find it tricky to not beat too hard. Are you using the beater bar or a belt shuttle?

I started with a belt shuttle, but it was harder than I liked to get a straight fell line and even picks. I know some of that was poor warping and this is a sampling section anyway, so I'll try it again after a couple more inches of the reed-beaten stuff. It shouldn't be too hard to not beat so hard if I need to, I have one of those Ashford looms where the beater bar is hinged from the top and pulls itself back with elastic.

Originally I beamed it up without the reed as instructed, but after 3 failed attempts at keeping the threads in order, I used a 12dpi reed and sleyed 4 threads/dent. I'm a super beginning weaver so I'm not sure of the rationale in not using a reed, does it fundamentally change the fabric or was that just an equipment consideration (the main part of the project calls for a 10dpi reed sleyed 3/dent)?

E: Deborah Chandler recommends 30epi for the 10/2 cotton I'm using for twill, so I figured 48epi should be within the 1.5-2x sett that she recommends for warp-faced fabric, if I'm understanding it correctly. I could just sley it 5t/d if that's not warp-faced enough, but I'm not sure which way will be a more durable fabric.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 9, 2023

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I'm not used to thinking of belts in terms of epi at all, usually I'm using thrums or cards to keep the threads in order and just adjust my selvedge until I like the feel of the belt. I'm also usually just winging it on my inkle loom as a little one off and not actually following a plan. Weaving is like 90% gently caress around and find out, so I say go for it and see if you get some results you like.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Does anyone have good resources for costumes for Halloween? I want to sew one up this year. Mens in particular which seems to be under served overall.

You'd think I might start with a costume I wanted but I wanna do it the way we did when I was a kid and pick something and (have my mom, now me) make it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

StormDrain posted:

Does anyone have good resources for costumes for Halloween? I want to sew one up this year. Mens in particular which seems to be under served overall.

You'd think I might start with a costume I wanted but I wanna do it the way we did when I was a kid and pick something and (have my mom, now me) make it.

How much effort are you willing to put in? Cholyknight has some free patterns for turning a hoodie into a costume:

https://cholyknight.com/accessories/

And a paid pattern for making one from scratch with more options:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/515492512/unisex-mens-relaxed-cosplay-hoodie

(It shouldn't be too hard to imagine how to adapt that into different characters.)

And if you're more confident in your sewing and want something more sophisticated, try stuff like this: https://simplicity.com/costume-patterns/

I feel like you can also have good results looking for PDF patterns on Etsy. Note that you'll need to get them printed on wide-format paper, but this is a pretty cheap and available service these days. (You *can* glue them together from individual printer paper sheets, if you're a masochist.)

Try a search like this: https://www.etsy.com/ca/search?q=halloween+costume+sewing+pattern+mens+pdf

Or search more specifically for the costume you want. Jedi and Vikings are pretty popular and easy to find.

If you're still just browsing and looking for inspiration, I think those links should get you started.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Thanks for the notes on hem lengths (I have a lengthy call with my mother planned for this weekend to talk this through too).

Regarding making a giant sail: yes absolutely. One thing I noticed when doing a test rigging with a bed sheet is that the shock cord slides VERY easily on metal grommets and eye bolts so I think in an emergency I'll just cut the rigging and remove the screen material ASAP. I also just don't plan to use it if it's stormy or windy outside.

Update: through chance I was able to offload the materials for this to my mom and she said it took her hours just to square the raw material. She ended up mounting the entire piece onto her quilting rack and rolled it back and forth to line it up to trim it down.

I'm sure I could have managed something on my own but I think her finished product is going to look way better than anything I could have done. I just don't have all the tools she has.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Lead out in cuffs posted:

How much effort are you willing to put in? Cholyknight has some free patterns for turning a hoodie into a costume:

https://cholyknight.com/accessories/

And a paid pattern for making one from scratch with more options:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/515492512/unisex-mens-relaxed-cosplay-hoodie

(It shouldn't be too hard to imagine how to adapt that into different characters.)

And if you're more confident in your sewing and want something more sophisticated, try stuff like this: https://simplicity.com/costume-patterns/

I feel like you can also have good results looking for PDF patterns on Etsy. Note that you'll need to get them printed on wide-format paper, but this is a pretty cheap and available service these days. (You *can* glue them together from individual printer paper sheets, if you're a masochist.)

Try a search like this: https://www.etsy.com/ca/search?q=halloween+costume+sewing+pattern+mens+pdf

Or search more specifically for the costume you want. Jedi and Vikings are pretty popular and easy to find.

If you're still just browsing and looking for inspiration, I think those links should get you started.

Thank you so much! That helps a lot. I'm a weirdo and I've not made clothes yet so idk how hard I want to start out with. I did sew a couch, from the cushions to a scratch built frame and it came out just fine, so I have the ability to join fabric together accurately, however I know I don't know a lot about how clothes fit a body and lots of techniques outside of piping. But it's Halloween so if it's janky it'll be fine. I just want my date to say wow you did this!?

Also I do have a lot of confidence from other skills that could be considered unearned confidence but it seems like it works out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Update: through chance I was able to offload the materials for this to my mom and she said it took her hours just to square the raw material. She ended up mounting the entire piece onto her quilting rack and rolled it back and forth to line it up to trim it down.

I'm sure I could have managed something on my own but I think her finished product is going to look way better than anything I could have done. I just don't have all the tools she has.

Oh hey I thought of you last weekend, we borrowed an outdoor projection screen. It was two vertical poles and a top pole, the screen just stretched out from there. I made some curtains for one of my bedrooms as a room divider with EMT conduit and I would say that could be a great frame if you needed. Cheap as hell, 1/2" 10' long is $5. I think larger sizes are still pretty cheap. Bends easy tho.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

StormDrain posted:

Thank you so much! That helps a lot. I'm a weirdo and I've not made clothes yet so idk how hard I want to start out with. I did sew a couch, from the cushions to a scratch built frame and it came out just fine, so I have the ability to join fabric together accurately, however I know I don't know a lot about how clothes fit a body and lots of techniques outside of piping. But it's Halloween so if it's janky it'll be fine. I just want my date to say wow you did this!?

Also I do have a lot of confidence from other skills that could be considered unearned confidence but it seems like it works out.

Yeah that's what patterns are for. You don't need to figure out how to make it all work on a human body. Somebody else has done that already. You can just take some measurements and then follow the instructions. If you can do basic seams and hems you should be fine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like this is the right thread here. I wanted to hem my pants while my tailor is on vacation so instead of looking for another one, I borrowed my mom's sewing machine. The result was definitely not perfect but easily good enough since nobody's going to be examining it from up close. I also took in the sides of a t-shirt to make it less square. That's the entire sewing experience so far so maybe this is getting too ambitious.

I also wanted to to the the sides on this shirt that have this double stitching going on with the triangle thing at the bottom :v: The way I did the t-shirt was by running a single straight stitch and then blending it into the original armpit seam. Here though there's no simple way to do it without ripping everything out, is there? Or am I missing something?

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I also wanted to to the the sides on this shirt that have this double stitching going on with the triangle thing at the bottom :v: The way I did the t-shirt was by running a single straight stitch and then blending it into the original armpit seam. Here though there's no simple way to do it without ripping everything out, is there? Or am I missing something?

I'd probably do waist darts instead. Those can run up from the hem and then you don't have to mess with the seam to make the shirt less boxy.

Here is a video I haven't watched all the way through that has more information:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSW9BHkQ28s

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I'm still futzing with the support posts to remove the sagging on the horizontal beams... I think my guy wires need to be mega tight and as far out as possible.

Here's a close up of the hem:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Looks solid! Glad you got it sorted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I need advice. I got a second hand grappling dummy that I have had fun throwing around for the past two months and sadly it seems that I played with it too hard and drat near ripped a decently large gash where his arm pit would be [picture of the dummy below], the material on the label says vinyl. Can I patch this up? how do I do that? do I just go to the hobby store and buy some generic vinyl #1 and a vinyl needle and patch it with some heavy duty thread? I have SOME sewing experience, in so far as I can hand sew a patch on a shirt.