Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah, Prigozhin went big on pr for his boys because of post-Blackwater tacticool media image and now the state catches up believing that calling a bunch of people unfit for military and mallcops "military company" gonna turn them into FOXHOUND

Samovar posted:

Sad, sad lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Flavahbeast posted:

No way they'd be around for 30 years, they were both pretty old, Saddam was 69 years old. Gaddafi was also 69 years old. Huh

Putin turned 70 in October so we missed a chance for a three in a row.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
Libya was going on full on civil war before the west got involved and the the arab league was completely onboard with intervention.
The state was on the verge of failure and was massacring it's own civilians.

No it wasnt a good outcome, but the root cause was Gaddafi being a piece of poo poo... Just like Putin.
Who knows how it would have turned out if no-one intervened - but Im going to guess it would have ended up something like Bucha with gratuitious murder and torture.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
:byetankie: is so good

Pigma_Micron posted:

Oh god, I'm going to stretch this metaphor way too far...

I didn't really read it that way. More along the lines of blaming the employee for the knock-on effects of both the revenue and the loss of respect the... I guess I'm talking about a library? would experience. It's a little post hoc ergo propter hoc-y, but I do think it's fair to, again, hold people to account a least a little for things like this. There's always going to be another one is all.

I blame the employee for being dumb enough to end up in a metaphor in the first place.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tai posted:

Libya and Iraq were massive fucks up and people were too quick to go guns blazing without trying other methods

steinrokkan posted:

Yes and it's crazy to see people who have apparently not read the news since 2004.

So what other methods do you think should have been tried? Sanctions? Embargo? What are your ideas for alternatives? The libyan civil war was already kicking off when the west intervened; what choices were left? Putin was so shook by what happened to Gaddhafi because he knew that's what would be waiting for him if the conditions were right enough.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 26, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

As with most dictators, you either get even worse children, or you get civil war once they die from whatever.

We don't, in fact, have to hand it to Gaddafi

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I've been out all loving afternoon/night.

:byetankie:

Oh that's good.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

So what other methods do you think should have been tried? Sanctions? Embargo? What are your ideas for alternatives? The libyan civil war was already kicking off when the west intervened; what choices were left? Putin was so shook by what happened to Gaddhafi because he knew that's what would be waiting for him if the conditions were right enough.

What would you would have done?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

A united front of democratically-minded anti-corruption sentiment, a pressure program to demand Gaddafi step down, followed by top-to-bottom transition into a parliamentary republic and a nationwide campaign of humanism and support?

I guess that wasn't in the cards. Maybe just some more cool underground tubes? That'd be neat I guess.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tai posted:

What would you would have done?

I asked you first. If you're going to criticize then bring your own ideas.

For me, I would've taken out Gaddafi and immediately landed stabilizing troops from either NATO or the UN (peacekeepers) to prevent a power vacuum while setting up a democratic political system. Would it work? I dunno. But it would've at least prevented a years-long civil war and it might have a stable government now instead of still using a provisional system and hell, may have even given strength to the remainder of the Arab Spring since countries would have a decent assurance that they would have new friends if they overthrew their oppressive governments.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 26, 2023

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

HonorableTB posted:

I asked you first. If you're going to criticize then bring your own ideas.

For me, I would've taken out Gaddafi and immediately landed stabilizing troops from either NATO or the UN (peacekeepers) to prevent a power vacuum while setting up a democratic political system. Would it work? I dunno. But it would've at least prevented a years-long civil war and it might have a stable government now instead of still using a provisional system and hell, may have even given strength to the remainder of the Arab Spring since countries would have a decent assurance that they would have new friends if they overthrew their oppressive governments.

So Occupation of Libya to go along with the Occupation of Iraq and the Occupation of Afghanistan.

I suppose if we do enough occupations we'll eventually have a sample size large enough to discern patterns in our failures in nation building.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1683868781372747778?s=20

even before the war you had to have a death wish to fly Aeroflot, if you do so now it's just a very expensive way to unalive yourself

i'll take the direct sewerslide to sochi, thanks. one-way, i won't be returning

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I wonder if putin has a spider hole ready

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Owling Howl posted:

So Occupation of Libya to go along with the Occupation of Iraq and the Occupation of Afghanistan.

I suppose if we do enough occupations we'll eventually have a sample size large enough to discern patterns in our failures in nation building.

It's a better alternative than allowing it to become what it is today, but this is getting increasingly offtopic

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I wonder if putin has a spider hole ready

he's just gonna squeeze in right next to lenin

hide in plain sight

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Toxic Mental posted:

As with most dictators, you either get even worse children, or you get civil war once they die from whatever.

We don't, in fact, have to hand it to Gaddafi

Gaddafi was specifically the kind of cult-of-personality dictator who ruled for decades by successfully playing factions against each other, designating no clear successor, building no independent institutions, and building tensions that only he could control so that a stable Libya without him as the linchpin holding it together was unthinkable. If he'd died in bed rather than been Mussolinied there was still an excellent chance of the whole country exploding into lawlessness without him, and that was entirely by intent because every day he went without assassination was a day he got to live in glory, and if it all blew up when he died fat and happy he wouldn't be there to care. And as said, he was 69.

That doesn't absolve anyone else of their role in shaking the bomb or failing to clean up the mess, but let's not forget the man who made building it and lighting the fuse his life's work. There's a reason that kind of autocracy is awful independent of the ideology behind it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Killer robot posted:

Putin was specifically the kind of cult-of-personality dictator who ruled for decades by successfully playing factions against each other, designating no clear successor, building no independent institutions, and building tensions that only he could control so that a stable Russia without him as the linchpin holding it together was unthinkable. If he'd died in bed rather than been Mussolinied there was still an excellent chance of the whole country exploding into lawlessness without him, and that was entirely by intent because every day he went without assassination was a day he got to live in glory, and if it all blew up when he died fat and happy he wouldn't be there to care. And as said, he was 70.

That doesn't absolve anyone else of their role in shaking the bomb or failing to clean up the mess, but let's not forget the man who made building it and lighting the fuse his life's work. There's a reason that kind of autocracy is awful independent of the ideology behind it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Keep in mind Gaddafi was a literal terrorist that ordered the bombing of a civilian airliner and got away with it clean

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103?wprov=sfla1

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Keep in mind Gaddafi was a literal terrorist that ordered the bombing of a civilian airliner and got away with it clean

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103?wprov=sfla1

Yeah, Bucha know, he did some good.

(So the intent is clear, I'm making it clear "Oh but he did some good" is a really dumb argument when he was so actively evil.)

Kchama fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 26, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

got away with it clean

He had a knife shoved up his rear end, op

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Mokotow posted:

He did not have a knife shoved up his rear end for blowing up an airliner in 1988.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Do we truly know what the knife guy had in mind tho

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Mokotow posted:

First time I saw that was Tosh.O on Comedy Central.

From blowing up a bomber to getting mocked for having a knife up your butt on a comedy channel.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Disco Pope posted:

Just thinking about how with Russia's use of the letter Z and the recent Twitter rebrand, the weird letters in the alphabet are really having a poo poo time of it right now. Thinking of poor Y right now.

really? y?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I thought it was a piece of rebar that went up the pooper

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The impression I've gotten is that leaving Gaddafi in power would have just led to an atrocious massacre, followed by basically the exact same civil war once he inevitably lost power through other means. The exact same dynamic we see playing out now where Gulf rivals are background different horses work would be playing out.

Intervening to stop the immediate massacre was the right decision. I'd be curious what alternatives folks would propose, because those who cite the current civil war tend not to have a solution beyond letting Gaddafi persist.

To bring it back to Ukraine: whether it's Gaddafi murdering Libyans, Putin killing Ukrainians, or Erdogan and Salman killing Libyans, it's important to stop paying footsy with authoritarian scum.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

HonorableTB posted:

You don't get people hating you enough to shove a knife up your rear end unless you did something to deserve it, bar none.

Nah. Some people just enjoy sticking knives up other people's asses, as wretched as that is. Saying he earned it is circular logic to justify it. He got a knife up the rear end because he had to have deserved a knife up the rear end, ergo, anyone with a knife up their rear end deserved it because they must have done something to deserve it.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This is a dumb derail because what's happened has happened so "What If"ing it is meaningless. It's more interesting to talk about how to prevent these things going forward. If you want to talk about that directly I recommend taking it to the Middle East thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839774

So let's :sweep: and get back to being cringe about Ukraine

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I'm still thinking about raw sewage leaking into the tap water in Moscow

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Add in the “ladies’ braps” and the brapping woman and you’ve got OP quality material

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Intervention in Libya was probably good.
Kinda-sorta pulling one over on the UNSC to do so was probably not great.
The followup was most assuredly awful.

These have been deep thoughts from SRQ.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1683868781372747778?s=20

even before the war you had to have a death wish to fly Aeroflot, if you do so now it's just a very expensive way to unalive yourself

Airlines are getting BAD, even in the US. Repairs and mantainance are more frequently being delegated to 3rd party contractors rather than in-house mechanics. These cheaper mechanics SUCK, btw. Constantly messing up jobs, misaligned holes for rivets and they like, fudging paperwork, etc. Lots of shortcuts.

How do I know this? My dad worked for united airlines for over 30 years as a mechanic. At some point, they started getting contracted maintainance for their plains in Texas and Alabama where labor is cheaper and regulation is more lax. All plains still get double checked in-house, and which almost always results in having to redo the work.

I can only imagine how bad it is for poorer countries....

:byetankie: I helped make this! :byetankie: See mom I achieved something!!! :byetankie:

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Close, but there's an outhouse on top of the hole.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Where is the horse cum?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Where is the horse cum?
"Yogurt"

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Mokotow posted:

Do we truly know what the knife guy had in mind tho

No, just what he had in butt

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

:sickos:

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Kchama posted:

Yeah, Bucha know, he did some good.

(So the intent is clear, I'm making it clear "Oh but he did some good" is a really dumb argument when he was so actively evil.)

Request to make the official spelling of that word "butchya". I got real confused about Gadaffi in Bucha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Vaginaface posted:

Request to make the official spelling of that word "butchya". I got real confused about Gadaffi in Bucha

I was actually spelling it like that just to give a jab about Gaddafi also being a horrible warcrimer in a similar vein.