Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

What would people consider to be the main technological progression for the RX-78-2? Thinking about building them all in order for fun, probably just either HG or RG if the RG is better.

Gramps > MK 2 > Zeta > ZZ > Nu > Unicorn

Anything else? I know there's shitloads of test suits and prototypes around the Nu/Unicorn era but are those the big ones that appear on-screen?

I feel like the Alex should be part of this conversation, given it was supposed to wind up in Amuro's hands and the mag-coating from its joints was applied to the Grandpa

Understandable if it's a little too side-story though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There also isn't really a current HG of the Alex and lol if it'll ever get a real grade.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Dreqqus posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with the 3rd party metal frames? I've got the RG Hi Nu to put together but was interested in maybe getting the metal frame for it.

Why? The Hi-Nu’s frame as it is has no issues I’ve noticed.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dreqqus posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with the 3rd party metal frames? I've got the RG Hi Nu to put together but was interested in maybe getting the metal frame for it.

I've messed with them and you have no need to worry about their quality.

wdarkk posted:

Metal Robot Damashii at home?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Der-Wreck posted:

I built my first Gundam!

XXXG-01H HEAVY ARMS (clear color)

I never understood the appeal of clear kits until you posted that one under a blacklight.

Still not for me, but I definitely get it now.

Phy posted:

I feel like the Alex should be part of this conversation, given it was supposed to wind up in Amuro's hands and the mag-coating from its joints was applied to the Grandpa

Understandable if it's a little too side-story though

I mean, depending how thin you split the hairs, the tech progression gets really fuzzy really fast. About the only thing the Zeta and the RX-78/178 have in common is being called a Gundam. Nu Gundam is closer to the RX-78/178 than the Zeta is, and isn't even all that closely related to the Zeta/ZZ. There's a closer link between the Nu and the Unicorn, for example, in that rather than switching tech from Biocomputers to Psychoframe, the Unicorn basically saw what Nu Gundam did with a little bit of frame and went "great, get as much of that crap as you can we're going to build the entire frame from head to toe from it."

What they all have in common are bringing wild technical leaps to the battlefield. The RX-78 had wildly strong armor and weapons for its time, and its combat computer made it easy for the pilot to tune the suit based on past data. The 178 departed from the integrated armor/frame concept, which would be critical to the Zeta being an interface-capable mobile suit (capable of unassisted reentry and flight on Earth). The ZZ took energy output to the logical conclusion and also did that transforming gimmick for reasons. Nu Gundam integrated psycommu technology with the performance specs of a Gundam, as well as utilized psychoframe to improve the interface between the pilot and the psycommu (and also do wacky space magic). And the Unicorn saw what the Nu Gundam did with psychoframe and went, "hey if I cram enough of this stuff in here we could run the whole drat suit on thought alone. It'd suck to be the pilot though lol."

Anyway that's a lot of words on why I'm not a fan of suggesting that the original UC suits are a progression any more than an F-104, an F-4, an F-15, and an F-22 are a progression.

Someone tell me what my first backlogust kit should be. I'm finishing the Delta Plus first (assembly wise anyway). Options are:

RG God Gundam
RG Hi-Nu
HG Base Jabber
HG Gustav Karl
HG Alex
HG Pale Rider Space Type
HG Zaku Ground War
HG Zaku C/C-5
HG RGM-79[G]
HG Blue Destiny Unit 3
HG Grandpa
HG Jesta
MG Jegan
MG GM Dominance
Numerous hangar display bases.

Wildcard sends me to the regular Scale Modeling thread to build a Hasegawa F-15E in 1:72 scale.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 24, 2023

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Build Karl

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
For Karl. *Raises beer stein*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want thr Hathaway Karl to exist. It looks cooler

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

1st Stage Midboss posted:

If you're after technological links, the Narrative is a (tweaked) prototype Nu, and it has a movie named after it to boot, so you could build that before the Nu (or start building it, then come back to finish after the Unicorn).

Man, I still really wish for an MG Narrative someday, even if it has to be P-Bandai.

No idea if I'd prefer B or C packs though. (Chaos option, A Packs :unsmigghh:)

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Warmachine posted:

I never understood the appeal of clear kits until you posted that one under a blacklight.

Still not for me, but I definitely get it now.

Tbf, the older hg kits in clear seem have really hard and brittle plastic.

I build the Gundam Base MG rx-78 as well and it was a lot nicer. Thr plastic seemed to be a different composition, who knows maybe the larger scale helps with it.

It looks great to boot as well.

E: nub discolouration also cleans up a lot easier with a nail polishing pad as well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Man, I still really wish for an MG Narrative someday, even if it has to be P-Bandai.

No idea if I'd prefer B or C packs though. (Chaos option, A Packs :unsmigghh:)

B pack, C pack is just a discount Unicorn.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

wdarkk posted:

Honestly because the one I'm looking at comes with metallic gold accents to replace the orangey gold bits of the kit.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I need advice.

I'm about to start building the MGEX Strike Freedom. Before I ruin it... is there anything I need to worry about using tamiya panel liner on?

It's got... Gold, Special coating gold, White gold, Copper Gold, and finally the gold colored photoetch parts.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nerobro posted:

I need advice.

I'm about to start building the MGEX Strike Freedom. Before I ruin it... is there anything I need to worry about using tamiya panel liner on?

It's got... Gold, Special coating gold, White gold, Copper Gold, and finally the gold colored photoetch parts.

Snip out a little piece of the runner with the part number flag on it, hit it with the liner, and see what happens.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

slapped together a little hexadude over the weekend. he's fine, very tiny. probably not worth the price I paid for him but a fun side project all the same. he came completely unpainted so I had to do some extra work in that regard - I'm particularly chuffed with myself over getting the red details on his helmet

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Buck Wildman posted:

probably not worth the price I paid for him but a fun side project all the same.
Kotobukiya kits tend to be more expensive, yeah. I'm a fan but I'm obviously not happy with that. Imo the level of engineering, color seperation, detailing and moving parts mostly justify the price. Those kits make me legit afraid to try and paint them due to all the details and joints on them. Depsite my love for them it's still a luxury purchase I can't do more than a few times in a year though. Hooray for birthdays and christmas lol. Sometimes you can get lucky on Ebay though. I shot three fresh Frame Arms kits for 80 bucks total and couldn't believe my luck. I think the seller was clearing out their stock because even one of those kits was listed at over 60 bucks on normal retailers.

I like this guy and he's on my list of "buy at some point especially when cheap". The helmet details do look nice! You may wanna put some more work into the legs though. I can see several nub marks that could be cleaned with some sanding tools. I can see a few more marks but the legs are the most obvious.

Hexagear is actually what brought me back into model kits near the end of last year. Behold the Blaze Boar!

This isn't really a mech and just a suit with a little guy in it. It was the first kit I built after over a decade of absence and now that I know what I'm doing I need to get back to it at some point and clean the various nub marks I left on it. I literally built this with a worn out pair of cable nippers, the file on a pocket knife and a random piece of sandpaper I found in the cellar.

I think he controls it with wi-fi handles which is weird since you could just shoot his fleshy arms but future tech = cool is kinda the theme of Hexa Gear.

There are a couple of cool things like the moving pincer on the shield and the cockpit top with a hinge. The twin-gun can also be split up and attached to the back with little arms like some AA autocannons. There is also an option part for the cockpit top, another antenna, two extra full helmet variants for the pilot with an extra variant piece for the top of the helmet of your choice and several small parts that you need when you want to combine it with some other kits.

You can fully open the suit and have the pilot seperate but that also brings me to the main problem with the kit. It's rather flimsy even with the extra strength when the pilot is in it. I'm cheating in this pic since I'm hiding the shield behind the pilot. Without the shield as a support on the ground it could not stand since it's very back-heavy. Like at least 1/3 of the weight is concentrated in the back and all the joints are small which is not a great design choice.

The legs are the worst. They're hollow to fit the legs of the pilot and are only connected with a tiny peg on a small swivel joint. They constantly fall off if you want to fiddle with the model and I'm almost willing to just glue them in place. I do hold most of the design in high regard but man those legs are a total pain. If they at least had made connections on the inside and the outside...

Anyway that was my Hexa Gear presentation thx for comming. They are smol bois & girls with Metal Gear Solid future tech and I love them.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 25, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Looking at the God Hands GH SPN-120, anyone know what the deal is with this Amazon link showing a "newer model of this item" for $10 more? Sort of assume they are the same (both say SPN-120 5.0) and the $10 is the extra shipping maybe, since all the reviews on the "newer" one are in Japanese. Just curious if people knew if there were actual changes. Can't wait to immediately break them, whichever one I choose!

Second question: people have mentioned not to panel line with Tamiya Panel Line Accent, the oil-based wash, due to parts weakening. Will a layer of acrylic or lacquer varnish first prevent penetration? I know I run the risk of capillary action carrying the enamel or enamel thinner to joints/structural pieces that may be uncoated if I mask them, but I was looking for options aside from the gundam marker route. Maybe I just need practice with the markers...

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

uwaeve posted:

Second question: people have mentioned not to panel line with Tamiya Panel Line Accent, the oil-based wash, due to parts weakening. Will a layer of acrylic or lacquer varnish first prevent penetration? I know I run the risk of capillary action carrying the enamel or enamel thinner to joints/structural pieces that may be uncoated if I mask them, but I was looking for options aside from the gundam marker route. Maybe I just need practice with the markers...

It should. The really dangerous thing is lining assembled parts. I had a Wing Zero Ver. Ka’s forehead crumble to little pieces within minutes after a drop of panel liner wicked its way under the cockatoo crest, where the solvent couldn’t evaporate freely. If you’re looking for a ready mixed option, some Nuln Oil is safe for all parts, and is my go-to for those panel lines that hide the seam between two parts. Really the only thing to watch out for is not trying to clean it up with alcohol when you’ve done an acrylic top coat underneath.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Tin Tim posted:

I like this guy and he's on my list of "buy at some point especially when cheap". The helmet details do look nice! You may wanna put some more work into the legs though. I can see several nub marks that could be cleaned with some sanding tools. I can see a few more marks but the legs are the most obvious.

yeah, it was tough to get in some of those smaller areas - you can't really tell in the photo but those legs actually curve inward away from the front. gonna be getting some nicer clippers sometimes soon. anyway, I'm untroubled - it was just a fun little weekend project and I'm saving all my try hard energy for the psycho zaku

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

God Hands seem to do limited production runs, and then 'discontinue' the tools until the next one, even for the exact same item. I guess they don't necessarily know when their next factory slot will be and don't want people on an indefinite waiting list. HLJ seems to make a new listing for them every time there's a production run, so those two listings are probably a similar situation. Or, more likely, it's just amazon marketplace shenanigans.

Be careful about buying stuff from amazon in this hobby that isn't sold and fulfilled by amazon itself - arguing about serial numbers and the difference between HG and RG is a pain. Check the reputations of the sellers as well, not just the reviews of the item - God Hands in particular were scalped and scammed to hell two years ago.

There's a lot of different types of gundam marker and different routes to panel lining. There's four main types of paint - lacquer, enamel, acrylic, and oil, but I've never seen a lacquer based panel lining product before. Subdivisions exist, so there's "solvent" (often called alcohol based) and "aqueous" (water based) acrylics, with the former being more dangerous to bare plastic than the latter.

But to keep things relatively simple; (no specific ordering here, beyond stuff up top being more likely to harm bare plastic)

• Enamel washes also exist from other manufacturers, but tend to not have as good capillary action as the Tamiya stuff. Still has some, just like 70%ish. Otherwise, treat as Tamiya stuff, including risks to bare plastic.
  • Tamiya Panel Line Accent is enamel based and runs hot, which means it can damage plastic. For safety a clear GLOSS varnish is typically recommended. Lacquer types will be better than acrylic ones, as the thinners used to clean up (whether lighter fluid or various odourless enamel thinner offerings) can eat into acrylic gloss. Some people risk it by lining on the runner, but it produces a far greater number of posts about cracked plastic than...
  • Pour Type Gundam markers (sometimes called Flow Type or Ultra Thin) are oil paint based, but the thinner means they can still run a little warm / have minor risk associated with it. Capilliary action is pretty decent but not quite as good as Tamiya. If you use Pour Type on bare bandai plastic the only time you'll really have a problem is if you really pool it in or if there was already an invisible flaw. I haven't had a problem with them.
    • Some folks recommend lining on the runner and flipping it over whilst it's drying to minimise the stress on the part whilst the thinner evaporates.
    • Grey ones (good for white armour) only seem to be sold in sets with several less desirable colours, but at least the supply has improved since the pandemic so prices have come down a lot if you shop around.
  • Fine tip type Gundam markers are also oil based according to the manufacturer, but very difficult to create pools with. The brown version also tends to run a bit over time for some folks.
  • Real touch Gundam markers are... I have no idea what, but they're basically like dry-erase markers; if you don't seal that stuff in with a topcoat you can rub it off even years later. They're bare plastic friendly, and meant for blending up weathering effects (stipple different colours then rub them about to give a stained, beaten look), but some folks do use them for panel lining too.
  • Soft/felt tip gundam markers are pretty much universally safe, but difficult to get a fine line with. I only have a couple of these because they came with other markers. Generic acrylic paint markers probably come in around here.
  • Sakura Micron Pigma pens (I tend to go for the 003 size) are finer than Fine Tip gundam markers and pretty safe, but realistically you only get black, which may be harsh on white. Red and sepia ones exist, but I've never bought one. Not sure about how they react with different types of plastic.
  • You can also try stuff like acrylic miniature washes (Games Workshop's Nuln Oil being most famous, but there also offerings from Vallejo etc) but they don't seem to get used very often by gunpla builders. They do, from distant memory, leave a thin layer of pigment over all surfaces as well as pooling in recesses, so you may want to wipe the excess up afterwards.
  • There's also the 'grunge wash' (or gunk wash or a dozen other names) technique using oil paints, where you basically paint a layer of oil paint (which is very safe as is) over the model, and then rub it away leaving grunge in the recesses and panel lines. "Starship filth" by Abteillung/MIG (I think?) is a nice colour for this, being slightly green-brown rather than pure black.
    • I've done this with acrylic markers too, zealously applying down white or light grey on darker models and pushing the nib into panel lines (tbf this does kind of damage the marker so not recommending it) and then removing the excess with a 1000 grit sponge or toothpick

Specifically for plastic in joints that manages to avoid top coats because you've already built the kit or whatever, I'd consider the acrylic miniature wash stuff. If the pigment on flat bits later gets rubbed away by moving the joint (acrylic not being the strongest of paints), it'll look like genuine use of the joint.

BIG CAVEAT: Do NOT use enamel washes (tamiya or otherwise), pour type markers, or fine tip (manufacturer specifically warns against it) gundam markers on bare ABS plastic.

The thinners react really harshly and crack it with ease.

ABS plastic is usually indicated by a tag on the runner or a call-out in the manual; it's fairly uncommon on modern gundam kits, but older ones had inner frames of it, and kotobukiya used to make models entirely out of ABS (though they've moved on a bit; the recent Muv Luv series is PS like gundams)

Finally, a bit of a plug of something I learned earlier in the thread - when tidying up panel lines using the right type of cotton bud can save immense pain and having to reapply lines over and over. A loosely spun one from the supermarket will pull stuff out of lines, whilst a tight one will only take stuff off the surface, leaving the line itself intact. In my case the only option for tight spun buds is Tamiya, which is expensive but worth it. In the States and Canada, I've heard people say gun cleaning swabs tend to be tightly spun, but I can't confirm.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

uwaeve posted:

Looking at the God Hands GH SPN-120, anyone know what the deal is with this Amazon link showing a "newer model of this item" for $10 more? Sort of assume they are the same (both say SPN-120 5.0) and the $10 is the extra shipping maybe, since all the reviews on the "newer" one are in Japanese. Just curious if people knew if there were actual changes. Can't wait to immediately break them, whichever one I choose!

As far as I can tell. The high end single blade god hand cutters have a working lifetime, with the end being a snapped blade. And that ~suuuuuucks~.

I don't know what nippers you're using now. But it's a good bet that the Stedi MS-100's are gonna absoltuely change your world. But, assuming you have something nice.

Here's a $25 single blade cutter, that is ~very good~: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BF4JKZDK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 They're $25, the Stedi MS-106.

I also tried these last weekend, and they're very, very, slightly better. The Mister Hobby MT106: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FCDS8ZX/ They're also $25.

If you're absolutely not going to break out glass files or other things on your kits... maybe the $50 for godhand 120s. But... they require special treatment that none of these will.

Tamiya panel liner works fine on modern kits. It's best to do before you assemble the kit so it doesn't suck into joints.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nullkigan posted:

Sakura Micron Pigma pens (I tend to go for the 003 size) are finer than Fine Tip gundam markers and pretty safe, but realistically you only get black, which may be harsh on white. Red and sepia ones exist, but I've never bought one. Not sure about how they react with different types of plastic.

These are my go to and I've never had a problem with them. They're also available in several other colors like green, blue, and red.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I didn't realize they went to down to 003. I've only ever been able to find the 005 tips at my art store.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Midjack posted:

These are my go to and I've never had a problem with them. They're also available in several other colors like green, blue, and red.

Amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/0D423ACF-8AE0-4E88-BC49-21B2C1F7581C

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Buck Wildman posted:

yeah, it was tough to get in some of those smaller areas - you can't really tell in the photo but those legs actually curve inward away from the front. gonna be getting some nicer clippers sometimes soon. anyway, I'm untroubled - it was just a fun little weekend project and I'm saving all my try hard energy for the psycho zaku
When you're happy with your results then you're doing it right :cheers:

If you find yourself wanting to clean up curved surfaces in the future then I can recommend sanding sponges since they are flexible and can be cut into small shapes if needed. I use a different brand but something like this will set you up.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Finished my RG MK2 today. It's definitely a better kit than the MG version but man I am tired of 1/144 stuff. My next kit is the MG Aerial so I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to working in a larger size after like five consecutive HGs/RGs.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Mmmmm love me a good before and after gunpla pic

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pierson posted:

My next kit is the MG Aerial

You're gonna be waiting a long time then before you build another kit. :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Full Mechanics I meant. Need to ignore all my shop links for a few months and get busy building:

KOG is definitely going to be last or near-last while I learn to paint good metallics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just realized i can make a nice family unit with these so I went and picked up the demi-trainer since I already have a few egg boys.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Synthbuttrange posted:

Just realized i can make a nice family unit with these so I went and picked up the demi-trainer since I already have a few egg boys.

Please update us with the family photos

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaashajvfakjshvfslhvflkbasklubkvbs;vlb

I got this gunpla custom kit(but the red version) years back and it sat taking up a bunch of space because it comes with a shitload of extra sprues for the many, many extra chainguns and missile pods. so I started building it because I both want it built and to free up that space. and things were going good, until I went to attach the right arm, and the shoulder joint snapped right off at the peg connection. ffuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk.

I know I can fix it with a pin vice but MAN it sucks that the peg is so small and fragile for such an important joint.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Finished this guy over the course of a week:

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Gundam fight on my bookcase:

Anyone else have gunpla action scenes going on on their furniture?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Qylvaran posted:

Gundam fight on my bookcase:

Anyone else have gunpla action scenes going on on their furniture?

That's some good posing :allears:. Kinda think maybe the Aerial's shield should be raised a little more and closer to it to fend off the Strike's sword maybe? But otherwise it looks really good and mid-motion.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/yurikanakanaka/status/1685338937462530048?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

The legs on the Dilanza are so chunky it's hard to make it look dynamic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/SayaDoesStuff/status/1685461421776359424

Want.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I can finally own a Striker Eureka... :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A review of the Caliburn from WfM. tl;dw It's a really nice HG, super poseable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rzh-S75IOg

Come for the review, stay for Backpack Fashion Show.