Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Update from Discord:

quote:

As you can imagine, it's been a busy day with lots going on. We fully support the SAG-AFTRA strike and all production is currently on hold while we navigate the situation (and while we wait for the AMPTP to be crushed by the righteous pressure of labor solidarity). From your perspective, Dropout content will not be drying up - we shoot stuff well ahead of time, and we're confident that the strike will force the studios back to the table for a fair deal soon. We'll keep you updated! In the meantime, if you're looking for ways to support striking writers, actors, and others in the entertainment community, here's where you can go to donate to those affected by the strike: https://entertainmentcommunity.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, from reading Sam's statements, my main takeaway is that they'll keep rolling out content since they've got a huge lead but since Sam himself and so many of their big folks are SAG, they'll be honoring the "no promoting" rule, at least personally. So Sam isn't gonna make a new video or a tweet or whatever going "Hey watch the new season of X."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, from reading Sam's statements, my main takeaway is that they'll keep rolling out content since they've got a huge lead but since Sam himself and so many of their big folks are SAG, they'll be honoring the "no promoting" rule, at least personally. So Sam isn't gonna make a new video or a tweet or whatever going "Hey watch the new season of X."

Grant and Katie have said they aren't promoting their web-series
Edit
https://twitter.com/KatieMarovitch/status/1679958457980719106?t=eLZjPzMiuoGkNapK7Zew6g&s=19

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 15, 2023

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That's good to hear.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Joke's on them because I had no idea that show was coming so they've just promoted it to me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Twitter thread by Sam
https://twitter.com/samreich/status/1680274115029270528

And as someone posted in the replies, this clearly was inevitable for Sam

https://twitter.com/JasonMBryant1/status/1680300727015550983

EDIT

Here's the thread of it, because gently caress Elno

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 16, 2023

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You can’t read threads on Twitter without having an account now, so posting screenshots or a rolled up version is helpful for embedding stuff here

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sam's good people

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Now’s the perfect time to launch the non-union Dropout America

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

whydirt posted:

Now’s the perfect time to launch the non-union Dropout America

We’ll need his non-union Mexican equivalent, Señor Sam Reicho.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Why does Sam hate Stanley Tucci's grandmother so much?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
What the gently caress did I just watch? The Evelyn Tucci bit was amazing.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
That was a wild episode. I feel like Sam really used everyone’s talents, all the bits were fun, I’m gonna watch that one again in a couple days

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Pout one out for Evelyn Tucci.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
That was absolutely a solid crew and a solid round, although Vic might've managed to be my favorite. Her climbing up onto the podium destroyed me.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

vic always seems like a bundle of heartwarming chaos

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Jiavani had some incredible work too. Her bits with karaoke and the accordion were very, very good.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Jiavani!

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

seaborgium posted:

I think it gets weird though. An independent production, which basically means no one from the AMPTP is involved can negotiate their own deal. So if Dropout is free and clear of the AMPTP, they could negotiate a deal for a season of D20, or some Um Actuallys if they wanted to. Letterman did that during the last writers strike with his production company and the WGA.

It does sound like SAG-AFTRA will be working out provisional contracts to allow independent studios to keep working. Dropout/CH is not a constituent of the AMPTP.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They've just granted the first wave of waivers for indies, as long as they agree to abide by the terms of the latest offer that SAG-AFTRA's made to the studios, and they've said they're happy to waive it for any non-AMPTP production that'll work on those terms. Apparently right now the only holdup is the speed they can get through the backlog of applications and vet them to make sure there's zero AMPTP involvement. So it's probably looking good for Dropout.

Right now Sam has covid again and his dog Finnegan is sadly going to be passing on soon, so things have been really been piling up all at once, poor guy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 19, 2023

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

MikeJF posted:

Right now Sam has covid again and his dog Finnegan is sadly going to be passing on soon, so things have been really been piling up all at once, poor guy.

Ugh, that sucks. I know he’s been suffering some really nasty long covid symptoms from his last bout. Hopefully he’ll get through this one without incident. And losing a pet is awful no matter the circumstance.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Highlight of the episode.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That Make some Noise episode was great and I'll need to watch more, I think. Also the newest season of Breaking News is exceptional, even if it is hard for the other episodes to compare with Grant going nuclear on Sam.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPYJFpEuWE8

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Yeah Katie get them dollars

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah Katie get them dollars

That final line. :respek:

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
... Terrific

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I love that Katie can be so stone faced and cold to people as an act, but that as soon as the game is done she immediately breaks and can be all smiles and really personable. I don't know how she manages it, beyond being a good actress but it's really impressive and entertaining.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think her technique is that she goes so full zero emotion stoneface monotone that she's barely interacting with the words she's reading at all, she's almost just sounding out noises without processing them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you still have to resist the emotional connection with your fellow actors who are also talking, though

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Is the next one seeing who can make Amy break 100 laughs

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
For me, Breaking News is a delicate balance. It's not super entertaining to get someone like Katie who's too good at it or someone like Amy who's abominable (after the novelty of the first chortling meltdown, at least). You need to get contestants who have a baseline stoicism but can be driven over the edge by the sight of the boss drinking sterilized urine. I still like some of their improv prompt response segments though.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Fobby posted:

For me, Breaking News is a delicate balance. It's not super entertaining to get someone like Katie who's too good at it or someone like Amy who's abominable (after the novelty of the first chortling meltdown, at least). You need to get contestants who have a baseline stoicism but can be driven over the edge by the sight of the boss drinking sterilized urine. I still like some of their improv prompt response segments though.

Yeah, one of my all-time favorite Dropout bits is seeing Brennan lose it in True Facts About Grant O'Brien Part 2. Brennan's ordinarily very stoic, but the one-two punch of "Hello, I'm 50" and the Bernie Sanders line just sent him reeling.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 25, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I think her technique is that she goes so full zero emotion stoneface monotone that she's barely interacting with the words she's reading at all, she's almost just sounding out noises without processing them.

Nah, that's Lily's technique. She's literally said during one of them that she's basically not even taking the words in as she says them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, that's Lily's technique. She's literally said during one of them that she's basically not even taking the words in as she says them.

Yeah, I don't think Katie is doing that because she tends to add some sass in via odd little movements or how she reads the lines so I think she is aware of them and just has really good control. I do think those movements and inflections help though actually, since it means she can pause for a half a second when necessary in order to squash any building laughter. It also helps her readings feel less monotonous. She was a child actress if I recall, wasn't she? So she probably just has a lot more experience around actors trying to make each other break as well as just acting experience generally.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Finally a use for my ability to disassociate away from stressful situations

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tsob posted:

Yeah, I don't think Katie is doing that because she tends to add some sass in via odd little movements or how she reads the lines so I think she is aware of them and just has really good control. I do think those movements and inflections help though actually, since it means she can pause for a half a second when necessary in order to squash any building laughter. It also helps her readings feel less monotonous. She was a child actress if I recall, wasn't she? So she probably just has a lot more experience around actors trying to make each other break as well as just acting experience generally.

Which is really funny considering her performance on the Heart Monitor Game Changer.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Fobby posted:

I too demand more Tao.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Magitek posted:

Yeah, one of my all-time favorite Dropout bits is seeing Brennan lose it in True Facts About Grant O'Brien Part 2. Brennan's ordinarily very stoic, but the one-two punch of "Hello, I'm 50" and the Bernie Sanders line just sent him reeling.

The key to getting Brennan to break is to make him genuinely concerned for his friends. He cannot escape his compassionate nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

whydirt posted:

The key to getting Brennan to break is to make him genuinely concerned for his friends. He cannot escape his compassionate nature.

Wrong facts also break him.