Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

brocked posted:

It's gonna be Ebirah

Make it a really oddball choice and go with Gezora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1681338397300867075?t=9OIxUIQaKlhYMdkiUEq6eA&s=19

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Make it a really oddball choice and go with Gezora.

Gezora is underappreciated. As is Space Amoeba in general. Low key but charming.

I should get around to watching more of the lesser Kaiju/Toku movies.

Yet to see:
Atragon
Latitude Zero
Dogoro vs. Goliath
The Last Dinosaur
The War in Space

Is the Japanese version of Varan worth watching? Because the English version really isn't.

Should probably revisit Gorath, Battle in Outer Space, and The Mysterians as well. I thought they were all really boring, but I could have just been in a bad mood.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Failson posted:

Should probably revisit Gorath, Battle in Outer Space, and The Mysterians as well. I thought they were all really boring, but I could have just been in a bad mood.

At least in one of those cases, Mysterians is really slow.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Failson posted:

Gezora is underappreciated. As is Space Amoeba in general. Low key but charming.

I should get around to watching more of the lesser Kaiju/Toku movies.

Yet to see:
Atragon
Latitude Zero
Dogoro vs. Goliath
The Last Dinosaur
The War in Space

Is the Japanese version of Varan worth watching? Because the English version really isn't.

Japanese Varan is perfectly fine with some moody atmosphere. The Last Dinosaur has hot and cold FX but a blowout performance by Richard Boone and an amazing theme song.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1681691040556752897

4K Remasters of classics.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was expecting them to be WAY more expensive but ¥6600 is a goddamned bargain for a 4k disk in Japan (my UHD of Shin Godzilla cost me ¥10000 when I bought it on a trip there)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
LMAO at this poor guy who got a good one liner off at Godzilla in Godzilla vs Biollante then Godzilla destroying the building in response. RIP to a real one.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Love it when Godzilla just obliterates a guy. There's a good moment in vs King Ghidorah like that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hollismason posted:

LMAO at this poor guy who got a good one liner off at Godzilla in Godzilla vs Biollante then Godzilla destroying the building in response. RIP to a real one.

Since Charles Barkley Godzilla allows nobody else to dunk on him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baMFh69gp98

This video is neat

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Especially that shot at 3:34

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Whoo, finally got to see Gryphon in action. Wasn't expecting that

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay I give up I can't figure out how they shot the scenes for the underwater battle in Godzilla vs Mothra, like I know for some scenes they did it with a fish tank in front of the camera to give off bubbles, but how did they do it when the bubbles come from godzillas mouth and suit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Probably superimposed, don’t need to do a travelling matte because they’re supposed to be transparent

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Probably superimposed, don’t need to do a travelling matte because they’re supposed to be transparent

Do you think? I mean it really looks like the bubbles are coming up from the suit. I can't figure it out. I wish there were making of videos.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Looks like they filmed the fight on a set filled with smoke (which makes it look underwater on camera) and then superimposed the bubbles over the top

The Hunt For Red October used the same trick for the underwater sub shots

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Watched Gammera the Invincible last night, because I was too lazy to get out a disc.

It's okay! Not good, but a much better dub than the later version.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Looks like they filmed the fight on a set filled with smoke (which makes it look underwater on camera) and then superimposed the bubbles over the top

The Hunt For Red October used the same trick for the underwater sub shots

The US-shot inerts are hammy, but not awful, and it's fun to see Dick O'Neill in anything.

Wow, the Battra costume looks massive!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
poo poo I dunno now. Here's a "making of" video I found on Vimeo which shows that most of the wide action shots were done on a smoky set and they later superimposed bubbles over the footage but then there's several shots with Godzilla flailing around with the bubbles done on set. I guess for a small number of tighter shots they might have had a very wide but thin tank of water sitting in front of the suit, and maybe another one behind it?

https://vimeo.com/420534013

E: it's an edited down version of a special feature from the Japanese Blu-ray

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 23, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they drowned so many suit actors...

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

poo poo I dunno now. Here's a "making of" video I found on Vimeo which shows that most of the wide action shots were done on a smoky set and they later superimposed bubbles over the footage but then there's several shots with Godzilla flailing around with the bubbles done on set. I guess for a small number of tighter shots they might have had a very wide but thin tank of water sitting in front of the suit, and maybe another one behind it?

https://vimeo.com/420534013

E: it's an edited down version of a special feature from the Japanese Blu-ray

Just a guess, but it looks like the bubble tank is setup in front of a rear-project of the footage.

Mantis42 posted:

they drowned so many suit actors...

Jimmy Cameras applauds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1683257620491038723?t=OfkRHB8v88ANoRQOkcisbg&s=19

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Why are Japanese studios so utterly incapable of finding a song that matches the tone of their anime trailers

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

At least as far as the kaiju themselves, that's easily the coolest looking of the animated kaiju stuff I've seen of the recent wave of such material. drat that looked great, gorgeous stuff.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Godzilla Final Wars is totally loving insane

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Godzilla Final Wars is totally loving insane

Listen, kid. There’s 2 things you don’t know about earth. One is me. The other is Godzilla

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Just finished a rewatch of the original Godzilla and an idle thought came into my head, where would things go if Serizawa wasn't able to use the Oxygen Destroyer on Godzilla(like say during Godzilla's second rampage through Tokyo had gone in a different direction and Serizawa and his lab had ended up getting destroyed), if it's the Showa timeline I'd imagine either Mothra gets involved earlier or maybe King Seesar gets awoken earlier to try and deal with him, if it's the GMK timeline then the same applies to the Guardian Monsters, in either case they might actually succeed since we don't really know how capable the 54 Godzilla is in a fight against other Kaiju compared to the 2nd Showa Godzilla, nor is he being magically empowered by a bunch of angry ghosts like the GMK Godzilla

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Listen, kid. There’s 2 things you don’t know about earth. One is me. The other is Godzilla

Don "The Predator" Frye's lack of Oscar is tragic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm just gonna say it that despite being balls out totally batshit Not a big fan of Final Wars. I've seen it before but really didn't care for it. Overall Heisei is still my go to era for Godzilla.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Since Final Wars made Zilla canon they should have her come back in new toho movies

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

She'd make for a fun horror twist on the usual Godzilla plot

She's not as large, so it's easier to hide
She reproduces asexually
The babies rapidly mature

Toss her into a midsize city and play around with the Xenomorph formula of people trying to find the source of the zillas to put a stop to them before they're overrun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
And of course as the TV cartoon showed it's very easy to shift Zilla over to a more sympathetic and even heroic role by leaning into her more animalistic nature in different way than how they work for her as an antagonist

Heck now I'm picturing a version of the 98 film in the Showa timeline where it's after Monster Island is established* and rather than trying to exterminate her or her offspring the crux of the plot is to capture them all while also minimizing casualties and property damage

*it is fascinating that the Showa timeline officially wraps up with humanity finding a way to live peacefully with the Kaiju

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Hollismason posted:

I'm just gonna say it that despite being balls out totally batshit Not a big fan of Final Wars. I've seen it before but really didn't care for it. Overall Heisei is still my go to era for Godzilla.

I used to hate Final Wars with a passion, but, as with my former hatred for G'98, it sort of cooled off as I got older and discovered that both movies are really fun to watch with friends. Not sure I'd ever sit down by myself to watch either of them again (outside the context of a semi-masochistic total Godzilla rewatch scenario) but I've made peace with their existence in a way that would surprise, say, 16 year-old me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HannibalBarca posted:

(outside the context of a semi-masochistic total Godzilla rewatch scenario)

I attempted this once, watching at least 1 movie every day. I didn't get every far. :(

It's still on my big 'to do' list, someday I'll watch do a total Godzilla movie rewatch, all in order

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pretty sure Zilla is still coded as male albeit with a sexual reproduction because iguana nukes. The cartoon which followed Jr. had an episode where the original Zilla's corpse was rebuilt ad a mecha/cyborg Zilla and they referred to him as Jr.'s father.

I'd actually like to see some of the kaiju from Godzilla The Series again. There were some neat ones.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember there was an episode where they go to the future and Ghostbusters 3 was playing at a theater.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Didn't they have an episode where Zilla was being hunted by hobbyist mecha pilots who were a legally distinct but easily recognizable version of the main cast of King of the Hill?

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 26, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's odd to watch G'98 for me with all the weirdness like having what feels like half the cast of The Simpsons or not-even-disguised analogues of Siskel and Ebert (remember Roger complaining "And they didn't even kill us") in a weird petty move or the fact Emmerich didn't even really like Godzilla in the first place and the movie is really just a Beast From 20,000 Fathoms remake.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 3, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just dropping this here for your lunch break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoaDq5loQC0

Good retrospective review/look on it form one of the greats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I attempted this once, watching at least 1 movie every day. I didn't get every far. :(

It's still on my big 'to do' list, someday I'll watch do a total Godzilla movie rewatch, all in order

I don't have a schedule for it because there's other things I also want to watch but I've been doing this very slowly over the last few months in order and really enjoying it. Except for All Monsters Attack.