Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watched Atomic Blonde while Warhammering today and now I really want to rewatch Stalker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s just weird the people who don’t like barbenheimer are like “they tried to get me with doom and animal crossing!”

Like baby who hurt you

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

joylessdivision posted:

Andrei Tarkovsky would beg to differ.

What does the Powerpuff girls guy have to download with it?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://twitter.com/VTStatePolice/status/1682446149150466049

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

RBA Starblade posted:

I probably would have done the double feature thing if Oppenheimer weren't three hours long

That’s why you make a day of it with breaks.

We did:
- lunch & edibles
- Barbie
- hour and a half break with drinks and pie
- Oppenheimer

Perfect day at the movies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There was a new Beetlejuice?!?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

What does the Powerpuff girls guy have to download with it?

not much what's download with you

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shageletic posted:

There was a new Beetlejuice?!?

It was in the middle of filming and IIRC has everybody back with Jenna Ortega playing Lydia's daughter.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh looks like Keatons back for it which is most good!

Looks like Burtons back for it which is, hmmm, I'm going to go with, not the greatest sign.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Has there been another director who lost as much cred as Burton? Like, in 2005, he was still highly regarded, picking interesting, well received projects, and now it's perfectly understandable to see him joining a project with dismay.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Steven Spielberg

e: ok I didn't see the fabelmans yet but still I think the sentiment was there at least until that movie

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ok ok that's harsh, looking at his later movies, it's more like he has a few fuckups that made people more suspicious of him. But also he was probably starting from a position of way higher acclaim than Burton in the first place.

Also uhh George Lucas lol

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Robert Zemeckis

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Enos Cabell posted:

Robert Zemeckis

Going from the Back to the Future trilogy and the Academy Award Winning Forrest Gump to having his version of The Witches yanked off HBO Max in the first round of purges. Woof.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean there's Bryan singer. Not sure if that counts. M. Night Shyamalan maybe? Although I'd say now he's sort of settled into the, okay he does weird small budget horror movies thing and has regained some respect that. Like at least he's films usually have something interesting about them.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Spielberg having a couple duds in between fantastic movies isn't close to Burton's deal

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Spielberg having a couple duds in between fantastic movies isn't close to Burton's deal

Spielberg is a wild answer. Sure, he’s not making grand slams like Jaws, Jurassic Park, or Schindler’s List any more, but he still turns out decent movies, not total poo poo like Alice in Wonderland.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Taika Waititi? After Thor 4 it seems like a lot of people have had their fill of Taika for now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Are any of his dud's -outside the indy movies depending on your point of view- even actually that bad films. Seems mostly his failures are just, you know pretty bland, not unwatchably terrible like Burtons.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Martman posted:

Steven Spielberg

e: ok I didn't see the fabelmans yet but still I think the sentiment was there at least until that movie

Looking at his recent filmography, no, not at all.

dr_rat posted:

I mean there's Bryan singer. Not sure if that counts.

He didn't have the steady, noticeable professional decline that Burton had. Singer's output just ended really. Bohemian Rhapsody was five years ago and he's unlikely to get another gig. It was a poo poo film but more because he barely showed up and everyone else had to staple the film together from what existed. Then it turned out he was a serial predator. Before that, he was still capable of knocking out a decent X-Men film like 'Days of Future Past' as much as a deeply mediocre X-Men film like Apocalypse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

Ok ok that's harsh, looking at his later movies, it's more like he has a few fuckups that made people more suspicious of him. But also he was probably starting from a position of way higher acclaim than Burton in the first place.

Also uhh George Lucas lol

John Carpenter

Although I wouldn’t mind him back

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Tim Burton has never directed a good movie.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

CelticPredator posted:

John Carpenter

Yeah Carpenter or, as painful as it is to say, George Romero would be my picks.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Are any of his dud's -outside the indy movies depending on your point of view- even actually that bad films. Seems mostly his failures are just, you know pretty bland, not unwatchably terrible like Burtons.
I think I was just traumatized by Ready Player One to be honest

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

John Carpenter

I miss 80's- early 90's Carpenter. Although apparently he's having a pretty chill time getting stoned, making music, and playing video games, so you know good for him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He directed a movie or something from the comfort of his living room so lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Has there been another director who lost as much cred as Burton? Like, in 2005, he was still highly regarded, picking interesting, well received projects, and now it's perfectly understandable to see him joining a project with dismay.

Terrence Malick. I don’t know if his post-2011 films are any good, but there sure are a lot of them for a guy who used to be famous for having directed four movies over 30 years. I never hear anyone talk about them at all.

Tobe Hooper, probably. From auteur to directing tv pilots is not a great trajectory, although I think the pilot to UPN’s Nowhere Man looks very good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
John McTiernan went from making Predator and Die Hard and The Hunt for Red October to serving time for trying to spy on his producer for Rollerball.

Action directors seem to get hit pretty hard, must be how styles change and how blockbuster filmmaking has evolved.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I AM GRANDO posted:

Terrence Malick. I don’t know if his post-2011 films are any good, but there sure are a lot of them for a guy who used to be famous for having directed four movies over 30 years. I never hear anyone talk about them at all.

Tobe Hooper, probably. From auteur to directing tv pilots is not a great trajectory, although I think the pilot to UPN’s Nowhere Man looks very good.

Malick's modern stuff is all fine to great, even if it's lower profile. Hooper though, yeah, that's a real hard dropoff after 2000.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah Carpenter or, as painful as it is to say, George Romero would be my picks.

I used to hate Land of the Dead but I’ve come around in a big way on that movie.

Wish I could say the same about Diary and Survival.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MH Knights posted:

Taika Waititi? After Thor 4 it seems like a lot of people have had their fill of Taika for now.

Taika’s issue seems more like a combination of oversaturation and spreading himself too thin between dozens of projects than any real decline in talent. Give him a few years for his various Disney projects to stall out and return to mid-budget comedies and he’ll be fine.

CelticPredator posted:

John Carpenter

Carpenter’s a weird one because you can assume Memoirs of an Invisible Man was a result of Chevy Chase being impossible plus studio poo poo, then he bounces back with In The Mouth of Madness.

Village of the Damned is a forgettable gun-for-hire job, Escape from LA is dogshit that he clearly just made so he and Kurt could hang out and get paid, and Vampires is bad but it’s mostly fun bad. Ghosts of Mars is back to dogshit and then he takes almost a decade off to do two episodes of Masters of Horror and The Ward, all of which are mediocre and forgettable.

But I don’t think it’s because he declined or anything, he’s pretty clearly a guy who got continually hosed over by suits and just had his fill. I’d be willing to bet money that if he got a script he was super passionate about today he could probably still turn in a really solid movie. But he won’t because it’s not worth the hassle to him when he can just play video games, smoke, and do the occasional album with his son.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

It was in the middle of filming and IIRC has everybody back with Jenna Ortega playing Lydia's daughter.

is b-juice gonna lech on her this time

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Snowman_McK posted:

Looking at his filmography to see where it all went wrong:

2005 was kind of a bad year. Charlie was awful and Corpse Bride didn't hit for me like it did for other people.

I think Sweeney Todd is the last movie he did that I genuinely enjoyed.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The bigger budget you give Tim Burton the more you’ll regret what he does with that money.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

conversely John Carpenter should be given an unlimited special effects budget to make music to

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think Dario Argento can definitely go on a list of folks whose movie quality fell off a cliff after certain point and never recovered. Went from that to having some failed IIRC Kickstarter with Garetta Garetta for some Demons-adhacent flick and a few years ago had a failed Kickstarter for a low budget horror game.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 26, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Robert Zemeckis

I'd love to know what his career would have looked like had he not made Roger Rabbit. The drive to pull off a comparable cinematic magic trick again gives you his pretty solid 90s flicks but then rapidly eats away at whatever talent he had after that

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Robert Zemeckis

Yeah, everything else he did pales in comparison to Beowulf

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I never saw Frankenweenie but I remember it getting good reviews. Came out roughly the same time as ParaNorman, another stop motion kids' horror (which owns btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

But I don’t think it’s because he declined or anything, he’s pretty clearly a guy who got continually hosed over by suits and just had his fill. I’d be willing to bet money that if he got a script he was super passionate about today he could probably still turn in a really solid movie. But he won’t because it’s not worth the hassle to him when he can just play video games, smoke, and do the occasional album with his son.

As ehhhhhh as The Ward is, he did a good job directing it, but there was only so much he could do to salvage that boring script.