Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

If this thread hates stuff.com so much, why are they constantly being posted? Why are you reading their site?!

I know some people who work there and are kinda high up and coming from the outside knowing very little, I am geniunely impressed by their efforts at journalistic integrity, they certainly dont not care about it

that said, the challenge in making money is jsut forever getting worse, which does actually make this worse

if people were prepared to pay for news it could be good, but everyone just expects someone else to pay for it and in fact actively avoids trying to financially support good journalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ledge posted:

Someone was defending Stuff. I can't let that stand.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/pou-tiaki/our-truth/300162006/our-truth-t-mtou-pono-over-three-centuries-weve-failed-to-represent-mori-fairly

this was a huge undertaking that as far as we know perhaps no other news organisation has done.

I mean, you get what you pay for

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Serephina posted:

If this thread hates stuff.com so much, why are they constantly being posted? Why are you reading their site?!

Because it's still better than the alternatives.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
tapping the op

exmarx posted:

Our media landscape is really small and incestuous and they do a bunch of content sharing.

Stuff – Largest and best news website.
NZ Herald – Editorially right-wing, Auckland focus, unusable website.
RNZ – Public broadcaster. Pretty good, but used to be better. Mediawatch is still the best news product in the country.
The Spin Off – Centrist Auckland middle class handwringing, riddled with awful advertorials.
Newsroom – Fair to good in-depth journalism, plus the worst opinion section I’ve ever seen. Very funny comments policy.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

One might also say there is 82 days till election day.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

echinopsis posted:

I know some people who work there and are kinda high up and coming from the outside knowing very little, I am geniunely impressed by their efforts at journalistic integrity, they certainly dont not care about it

that said, the challenge in making money is jsut forever getting worse, which does actually make this worse

if people were prepared to pay for news it could be good, but everyone just expects someone else to pay for it and in fact actively avoids trying to financially support good journalism

I offered to give them 10 bucks if they never published another Damien grant article but they didn't go for it :shrug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hahahahaha

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/300934025/kiri-allan-resigns-as-minister-charged-with-reckless-driving-and-resisting-arrest

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/300934025/kiri-allan-resigns-as-minister-charged-with-reckless-driving-and-resisting-arrest

In hindsight, she probably needed to leave earlier. Some mental health struggles take a lot more than a holiday to work through.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I mean if I had a couple of years where I got cancer, divorced, got engaged again, and then separated while working one of the most stressful jobs in the world and being constantly hounded by racists online, I'd probably crack too.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Don't get me wrong, this is rightfully gonna end her political career, I just think it's pretty sad.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

cptn_dr posted:

Don't get me wrong, this is rightfully gonna end her political career, I just think it's pretty sad.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strange, I don't feel sad at all and in fact, I feel like laughing

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A minister of justice resisting arrest is extremely based tbf

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Didn't the pigs know who she was?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

She recognized that acab and took appropriate steps

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

Didn't the pigs know who she was?

I imagine she loudly and repeatedly asked them this at the time

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Me because I still haven't updated my enrolment.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Finally, the chance to elect a good, forward-thinking, competent government is at hand.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Finally, the chance to elect a good, forward-thinking, competent government is at hand.

Yeah man, the Green Party have some great, radical ideas and some fantastic people to execute on them. I'm excited for what the new Maori Party have to offer and as I've said here before I think the Labour Party have done right by this country and will continue to do so.

There's a lot to look forward to!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Slavvy posted:

I imagine she loudly and repeatedly asked them this at the time

Not sure why she expected the cops to know who Li Gang was, though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I look forward to this definitely happening

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

I look forward to this definitely happening

I hope this person never exits their cave because I worry about their innocent psyche being shattered

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Alternatively

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kane [✓]
Nod [✓]

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
I would like to vote for this seal I found in Kaikoura last week.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Spyderizer posted:

I would like to vote for this seal I found in Kaikoura last week.

Did the phone image correction go hard on the rocks and road there or is it just my eyes? Almost looks painted

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
lovely OnePlus 6T camera.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Kinda hosed up that the Extinct Giant Penguin got into Kemono Friends but the Little Blue never did.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
shouldn't have made the korora sanctuary the only electorate

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300935062/kiri-allan-crashed-outside-wellington-home-of-senior-official

quote:

Kiri Allan’s late-night crash took place outside the home of a senior Justice Ministry official.

[...]

Stuff can reveal the smash – in which the white Hyundai Kona Allan was driving rounded a gentle bend and collided with a ute – happened in the street outside the home the advisor shares with her husband, and young son.

lol if vance is pretending that a senior advisor is a 'senior official'

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A lil 'think of the children!!' at the end there too

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

quote:

Stuff has been unable to reach anyone at the address, or the family for comment.

The Ministry of Justice has not commented. However, it is understood the two have never met and the event is thought to be a co-incidence.
Just a real titan of journalism

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

lol if vance is pretending that a senior advisor is a 'senior official'

some ministries have "lead advisors" or "senior advisors" as roles in the management team I guess?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
she's clearly extremely mad that this story gazzumped her investigation into the bullying stuff, this one was equally tonedeaf

https://www.thepost.co.nz/a/nz-news/350041661/kiri-allans-career-over-were-red-flags-ignored

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Is anyone else concerned that the senior advisors home location (even if it's just approximate) is being aired by journalists? Say some psycho far right lunatic has a grudge against the ministry of justice or just the government - now they have more information on how to locate an employee.
I mean unless the senior advisor in question told the journalists they live there but for some reason I doubt that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nah, it's a dumb nothing story but you can't tell who it is or where they live.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyl...5JRKFCAYYUIG2U/

Just take everything, ruin everything who even cares anymore this country is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

just as long as they dont touch are precious blue v