Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KodiakRS posted:

Congrats! I'll be doing the same thing tomorrow morning! (at 7AM having been up all night flying a redeye) Hows the adjustment to the bus coming now that you've had a chance to fly it outside of the simulator environment?

So far so good, pretty standard sim-plane differences. The stick feels about the same but being able to feel lateral acceleration means directional control on the ground during takeoff and landing rollout is much, much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Zero One posted:

It is SOP to leave them at Flaps 1 when the temp is greater than 30C.

Or you may need to keep flaps fully deployed in icing conditions.

Oh neat! Thanks for dropping the knowledge

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

75 in actual under IFR

This seems like it would have serious unintended consequences. I definitely enjoyed the time I logged in actual, but it was always something that fell into my lap… I feel like incentivizing pilots to seek it out could go awry. Like Cessnas going up in convective conditions.

e: oh also - live in Arizona? Enjoy moving across the country, rear end in a top hat

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

kathmandu posted:

This seems like it would have serious unintended consequences. I definitely enjoyed the time I logged in actual, but it was always something that fell into my lap… I feel like incentivizing pilots to seek it out could go awry. Like Cessnas going up in convective conditions.

e: oh also - live in Arizona? Enjoy moving across the country, rear end in a top hat

Or just lie.

Edit: I looked it up (I lived in the desert for a few years) and I have 80 total actual and I'm getting ready to hit 3000 hours and am working for a legacy.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 22, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kathmandu posted:

They’d have to make night count.

I still maintain it must be some kind of helicopter related l’appel du vide.

edit: ah ha, I guess the “moonless night letter” would probably mean it’d be 75 hours at night?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 22, 2023

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I took a discovery flight this morning and :toot:, tons of fun. It was at Rocky Mountain Flight School here in Colorado, unfortunately they seemed to be booked out for lessons until winter time :(. Anyone in the area have recommendations? I don't mind commuting from Boulder. I've seen a few others mentioned in Longmont and even as far out as Watkins, theres one in Erie which is 10 minutes away from me as well.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 24, 2023

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Tenchrono posted:

I took a discovery flight this morning and :toot:, tons of fun. It was at Rocky Mountain Flight School here in Colorado, unfortunately they seemed to be booked out for lessons until winter time :(. Anyone in the area have recommendations? I don't mind commuting from Boulder. I've seen a few others mentioned in Longmont and even as far out as Watkins, theres one in Erie which is 10 minutes away from me as well.

I'm taking mine in a few weeks, pretty excited.

Started Sporty's this weekend, which happens to be onsale now for $229 so had to jump on it.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Arson Daily posted:

It's because old fucks want to raise the age to 67. And if they do 67 then they'll do 70 and if they do 70 they'll just do away with it completely and then you'll have 75 year olds in command of an airplane that can't stay awake for the 10 hour duty day their airline has them scheduled for leaving the FO who makes at least 30% less doing two jobs at once. Airlines don't want this, every pilot under 55 doesn't want it but old fucks and their sympathetic old fucks in congress seem to think this is a good idea. /rant over

Age 67 will probably end up being domestic only. Multiple countries let pilots go to 67/68 but they can't leave their territorial borders. If we raised ours, they'd be limited to domestic only unless they got a country to country waiver, so maybe Canada and Mexico. But they wouldn't even be able to fly to Hawaii because once you're 12 miles outside of the borders, you're in ICAO territory, baby.

So I guess I'm just gonna hide out in a 787 or a 777 for a while until this poo poo blows over.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rekinom posted:

Age 67 will probably end up being domestic only. Multiple countries let pilots go to 67/68 but they can't leave their territorial borders. If we raised ours, they'd be limited to domestic only unless they got a country to country waiver, so maybe Canada and Mexico. But they wouldn't even be able to fly to Hawaii because once you're 12 miles outside of the borders, you're in ICAO territory, baby.

So I guess I'm just gonna hide out in a 787 or a 777 for a while until this poo poo blows over.

Just imagine having all your lines being your choice of any EWR/IAD-SFO/LAX permutation.

Maybe this is a clever way to force some voluntary requirements?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Things I love since leaving charter: I woke up sick and had to call out sick the day before my second OE stint. I was a little worried calling out but the scheduler was just like “yeah it’s going around, call back when you’re better” and that was it.

None of this “oh no you’re costing us revenue” poo poo.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

^^^^wait until you call off fatigued for the first time. It's glorious :)

Rekinom posted:

My airline is like 98% CONUS so yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Officially signed up for flight lessons at a smaller airport near me :toot:.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Oshkosh (EAA Airventure) is going on this week. Anyone else gonna be there? I'm going saturday, I'll be sure to share my photos when I get back. Is there anything you'd like me to check out for you, if you're not going?

There's a lot of neat stuff that's finally turning the corner this year. Gueduck is there, I believe there will be a certified PBY... There's a few new engines coming to market, both a "private pilot scale" turboprop, and it looks like delta hawk is finally gonna have something ready to go.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

So I got laid off after covid hit, was just after moving onto the 787. Ended up unemployed for 3 years, some of it by choice to be fair, as I was the stay at home dad after our son was born. But I'm back flying short-haul on the 737 now and so far it's been great going back to work, even if the 73 is a complete dog after getting to fly a modern plane. Except I had forgotten or blocked out what some of the more eh eccentric captains could be like. Sector 1 yesterday's sermon was about crypto currency and sector 2's was casual racism. Maybe I should have like learned programming or something while I wasn't working?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
programming: famously free of cryptobros and racist practitioners

weeeelllll, i dunno. i guess there's a broad spectrum (heh). don't ever read hacker news though

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

programming: famously free of cryptobros and racist practitioners

weeeelllll, i dunno. i guess there's a broad spectrum (heh). don't ever read hacker news though

I could do computer touching from home and limit my interactions with old twice divorced captains to a minimum though?
I guess it's too late now, at least actually flying again after so long has been fun and satisfying. Muscle memory is amazing.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

So I got laid off after covid hit, was just after moving onto the 787. Ended up unemployed for 3 years, some of it by choice to be fair, as I was the stay at home dad after our son was born. But I'm back flying short-haul on the 737 now and so far it's been great going back to work, even if the 73 is a complete dog after getting to fly a modern plane. Except I had forgotten or blocked out what some of the more eh eccentric captains could be like. Sector 1 yesterday's sermon was about crypto currency and sector 2's was casual racism. Maybe I should have like learned programming or something while I wasn't working?

Get u a Bluetooth headset and drown that poo poo out with your music of choice. Or upgrade and then you'll always fly with your favorite captain.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

I've had to tackle both topics often ("The only racism left in the USA is against white males", "I took out a 401k loan to buy crypto!" (when it was topped out)). On one trip, both subjects by the same dude. Luckily I'm a captain, so I just politely tell them to shut the gently caress up ("wow that's crazy... hey can you load the ILS 15L autobrakes 3 flaps 25.. yeah I know we're still 3 hours away").

The new hot take seems to be that helping Ukraine is a waste of money and an injustice because really it belongs to Russia. I've already scripted the perfect counter "Did you know some people in France said the same thing about England and the colonies during our war of independence?".

Edit:
Oh and of course transgender people and gender subjects in school are currently in the Top 5 Rants, just behind the news that our hated former CEO just got hired as FedEx's new CFO.

Animal fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 26, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I actively keep tabs on Fox News. Not to support it but to have as few wait what are you upset about moments in the cockpit.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Animal posted:

"Did you know some people in France said the same thing about England and the colonies during our war of independence?".

This is good.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's just as bad in the helicopter world.

"My sisters inlaws niece can't get a job in Hollywood because she's white and blonde and they only want black transgender actors now"

Now, coming from the film industry, I for once had enough clout to tell him, that 90% of people in Hollywood are white and that's highly unlikely to be the reason she can't get a job, but yeah, it's brutal.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Watching some videos of Airventure arrivals and really wishing I was there. Maybe next year.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Can't you just tell them that you don't follow Q news

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, about 3 years ago, I started chasing a crazy dream of becoming a commercial helicopter pilot. (In Canada)
It took me about a year after my course to find an entry level (ground crew) job, but today, pretty much a year since I started, I've flown ~200 hours and now just passed my PPC and can now do actual revenue work....which is at least a year earlier than I imagined this would happen.
It's a huge milestone for me, but also shows that it's definitely possible.

So, for anyone else out there thinking about starting a pilot career, just loving send it. Sure, you have to work hard (and smart).
Beats thinking about the 'what if'

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'm working on getting ready to do an IPC since I'm way out of currency. When questioned about what has to be done to be current and discussing holds I asked if a Hold In Lieu of Procedure Turn in an IAP with one would count if you did it for a course reversal.
Everything I've looked up and that he then looked up was basically 50/50 for yeah or nay. Has anyone here ever encountered that?

edit:
I passed the flight portion of the actual IPC but did mess up a couple dumb things and will need to redo them in the sim, but I'm overall happy with my ATC comms, approaches, and general performance. The things I messed up were hold altitude and for some stupid reason since I totally know better and have ran through it over and over I pulled power on a nose up unusual attitude. I looked at airspeed, which was ~110 and for some reason went into reduce power mode. I hadn't done either of those in the actual plane, though, in about 15 years but definitely knew better.

In not so positive news, about 15 minutes after I landed a small plane crashed. The emergency vehicles were arriving as I went to my car and I haven't heard exactly what happened. That's the first time I've been in close proximity to an incident and it's rather sobering that I was just on that runway.
https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1686062610934906882

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 31, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have temporarily improved my Airbus landings. Absolutely greased two in a row today.

Time for Taco Bell I earned it baby.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Happy for your landings but I shudder for whoever must share the cockpit after Taco Bell ingestion.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Yeah bro you're on the amr payroll now at least upgrade to qdoba

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
No it’s fine a cheesy gordita crunch is like 6 bucks now. It’s high class.

Hey so what headsets are you airline guys using? I want something smaller than my Bose A20’s. They’re great for GA and loud jets but I want something lighter and simpler, like a decent Telex with ANR.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

Hey so what headsets are you airline guys using? I want something smaller than my Bose A20’s. They’re great for GA and loud jets but I want something lighter and simpler, like a decent Telex with ANR.

I use off the shelf Sony 1000XM3 with an aviation adapter that a dude sells online. That way I only need to carry one headset for work and also use it for entertainment when I deadhead. Same concept as the Bose with UFlyMic

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Rolo posted:

Big time Bose Proflight2 fan here. You know the jump in freedom and comfort when you went from the Clamps or whatever lovely student headset, to the A20? Well it was like that, all over again.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rolo posted:

I use my Bose QC35s with a uFlymike and absolutely love it. I'm home based so I spend more time in the back of airliners so it's nice to have noise cancelling bluetooth that blends in with the rest of the pax without having to carry around anything else. Also I don't like in-ear stuff.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rolo posted:

I use the Bose Proflight 2. The ANR is just ok and it takes a little getting used to because of the form factor but it's lightweight and for people with normal sized heads apparently very comfy.* The best part is that I'm a headsets all flight long kind of guy and the ability to just pull out one of the earbuds if the captain wants to take them off is a lifesaver.

Also I would recommend getting a dual plug headset with an XLR adapter rather than the other way around. We're *slowly* transitioning to all dual plugs on the bus and IIRC the other fleets are 100% dual plug.

*I have a massive noggin (size 8 hat) the headset pinches me slightly above my ears, I can still wear it for hours on end but it's not as comfy as A20s.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 1, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

I use my Bose QC35s with a uFlymike and absolutely love it. I'm home based so I spend more time in the back of airliners so it's nice to have noise cancelling bluetooth that blends in with the rest of the pax without having to carry around anything else. Also I don't like in-ear stuff.

I really wish Bose or somebody would sell a legit version of this. I had an early uflymike with the QC-15's but the mic was too janky, the QC-15's too fragile for airline abuse and its failure modes were not fail passive. Plus the hoops uflymike had to jump through to make it TSO'd made the whole thing just a mess to deal with. Maybe one day.....

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Tenchrono posted:

How much are one of these discovery flights?

I'm life long simmer and I probably wouldn't qualify for a full medical for a big boy license, but it would be fun to go up and get a taste of flying.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

skooma512 posted:

How much are one of these discovery flights?

I'm life long simmer and I probably wouldn't qualify for a full medical for a big boy license, but it would be fun to go up and get a taste of flying.

Some places have a special deal for like $99, but expect it to be $100-250. On the higher end of that you should expect (and receive) at least an hour of real intro lessons with a bunch of hands-on time.

FYI, you may qualify to fly under BasicMed. Look it up!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

sleepy gary posted:

Some places have a special deal for like $99, but expect it to be $100-250. On the higher end of that you should expect (and receive) at least an hour of real intro lessons with a bunch of hands-on time.

FYI, you may qualify to fly under BasicMed. Look it up!

I bought a friend a discovery flight for $160 IIRC. I think my first lesson was $150.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
We (not my employer, but rather our airport) had a big fatal on the weekend.

Don't fly in MVFR (SCT014 SCT021 OVC037) into the mountains. Especially do not so on the edge of night. But if you must, very much do not do so while overloaded. It will end poorly.

I feel bad for five of six people on board, who probably didn't understand the risks that were being taken without their knowledge or consent.

EDIT: Some will say this is armchair quarterbacking. I agree, it is. I was literally sitting in an armchair owing to cancelling my flights on the day in question due to poor weather. Make of that what you will.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 2, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m so sorry to hear that happened. I practically grew up at a regional airport and all the fatalities that happened in the area were preventable. Not one freak accident or mechanical fluke, just huge pilot error chains.

When I was an aircraft mechanic I did some light work on an airplane and put my name in the logbook a few days before the owner died in it. I was a wreck until the report came out that he flew into the ground looking for an airport in IMC.

Another time was much weirder. Some guy had a tie-down that was out of inspection, hadn’t flown in forever and he himself was way out of currency. Suddenly decides he wants to get the thing in the sky again and asks the shop to estimate a cost. The fuselage had standing water, everything on the engine that can dry rot or rust did just that, the shop manager quoted a lot of money. He turned it down and said he’d have someone else look at it. He then came out before the FBO opened, fired it up and got halfway through the pattern before going down in the trees and burning up. I helped the NTSB with the investigation and now I have smell memories I wish I could delete.

Too many wealthy weekend pilots have the ‘invulnerability’ harmful attitude after a life of relative ease. That’s my angry old man takeaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

My 172G (O-300) has been sitting for more than 2 years. Should I pull the spark plugs off and put some oil in the cylinders before pulling it through a few times and starting it? Or is pulling it through a bunch of times adequate? There's no rush so I can take my time to do it as gently as possible to the engine.