Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Moderator 6, this is Poster 3, OVER.

Poster 3 is in TIC, request FPF at my position, grid 12345678, OVER.

Bearing 180, distance 200, byetankie in the open, OVER.

Danger close, I repeat, danger close. Request immediate suppression, OVER.

How copy, OVER.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Egg Moron posted:

and in all honesty, I am not a tank spotting man, I don't know poo poo and I am wardumb

its actually very easy when you boil it down to instinct. the western tanks are the ones you just really want to stick something into while the russian tanks are the ones you get butterflies from

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
put a rocket in me (rap sheet)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

I guess it never passed through their heads that the Russians may actually be getting all this artillery in reserve for something, and they may be you know...outfitting hundreds of thousands of troops.

Same reason the Russian air power has barely been seen. You and I know why. They'll either figure it out or not. Doesn't matter.

We're all just different peanut galleries at the end of the day.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Same reason the Russian air power has barely been seen. You and I know why. They'll either figure it out or not. Doesn't matter.

Yeah, it is worth communicating what is going on though. The Covert Cabal stuff is just useful on a basic level of showing how the Russians are pulling a large amount of material out of reserve for something, and it isn't currently on the front line. And yeah, the VKS isn't going to put itself as risk if A. there are still some AD present (and there is, it is simply more sparse than before) and 2. there isn't a major all in attack that is going to require possible sacrifice. Otherwise, they will simply peck on the sides of the battlefield.

The Oryx stuff is about tediously filtering what they are actually talking about and running the numbers. Out of the 26 T-90Ms for example, 18 were "destroyed", and about 10-12 seem to be verifiable as totaled. Many of them seem to be drones dropping grenades into hatches.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:39 on Jul 26, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

fanfic insert posted:

put a rocket in me (rap sheet)

:byetankie:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bad news for the environment - ‘Nature is being destroyed’: Russia’s arms buildup in Barents Sea creating toxic legacy

www.theguardian.com posted:

The Barents Sea port of Severomorsk is the base of the Russian navy’s Northern Fleet and, since 2014 – when Russia first invaded eastern Ukraine – it has become the main administrative hub for all of Russia’s Arctic military activities.
As the war in Ukraine grinds on, Russia is not so quietly expanding its military activities in this region, too. In the past six years, Russia has built 475 military sites along its northern border. The Kola peninsula and the archipelagos of the Barents Sea have seen dozens of new airstrips, bunkers and bases.

But while the region has long been one of Russia’s most important commercial and military hubs, the deep waters of the Barents Sea are among the most biodiverse of any in the Arctic region, home to puffins, dolphins, seals, and rare bowhead whales, as well as being home to some of the world’s biggest fish populations. To its southern side, on the Kola peninsula, herds of wild reindeer can still be found and its eastern rivers, free from hydroelectric dams, are among the few remaining spawning grounds for Atlantic salmon.

The Barents Sea is one of the most biodiverse in the Arctic, with beluga whales among the species found there. Photograph: Andrey Nekrasov/Alamy“There are still villages without road systems, where they are maintaining a unique and traditional lifestyle,” says Tero Mustonen, a conservationist with Snowchange Cooperative, who has worked in the Kola region for 25 years.
The unprecedented new military buildup has experts concerned about devastating results for these delicate Arctic ecosystems. It is already among the most polluted places on Earth. Currents that carry warm water from the Atlantic Ocean into the Barents Sea make it one of the world’s great marine garbage patches, while decades of Soviet nuclear tests, the dumping of radioactive waste, and industrial pollution have left many waterways highly toxic, contributing to elevated rates of disease among local people.

The latest military buildup has already resulted in an increase in weapons testing and marine traffic, including from new and refurbished nuclear-powered icebreakers and submarines – with the attendant risk of nuclear accidents.

But that is not the only threat to the Barents Sea ecosystem spurred by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. As it finds itself increasingly alienated from the western economy, Russia has accelerated its efforts to open the region to commercial activity.
In April, after western nations suspended their participation in the Arctic Coast Guard Forum, which Russia chaired, it signed a cooperation agreement with the Chinese coast guard to conduct combined exercises to police its northern coastline. The move was widely viewed as an attempt to fulfil longstanding Chinese ambitions to assert itself as a “near-Arctic state”, gaining greater access to commercial activity and mineral resources in the region.

The Russian nuclear-powered icebreaker 50 Years of Victory in the Barents Sea. New and refurbished nuclear-powered icebreakers are part of the latest military buildup. Photograph: John Borthwick/Getty Images/Lonely Planet ImageBut Russia’s northern sea route, which halves the time it takes to ship goods between Europe and Asia, is still unreliable. Dozens of ships were stranded in early sea ice in 2021, while the longer route east to Asia is often far more ice-clogged and perilous than the alternative route westward.

Nonetheless, experts say, Russia’s increasing dependence on China is likely to increase traffic on the route. “More oil, more shipping, more resources will be transferred between those countries that are still trading … [including] more shipping with vessels that are not equipped for the Arctic Ocean,” says Mustonen. “The great concern there … is that the oil pollution from ships and tankers that are not equipped for the environment will greatly increase.”
More shipping also means increased concentrations of ozone and nitrate aerosol that are dangerous to human health, and nitrogen and sulphur deposits that could devastate marine ecosystems. In the Barents Sea that concern is particularly acute, as the region is already quite possibly the fastest-warming location on Earth.

It is not only the scale of shipping that is changing, but also the cargo being carried. Without access to Norwegian offshore technologies and investment, Russia has cooled on oil and gas projects in the Barents Sea – and turned instead to new open-pit mines in the Murmansk regionof the Kola peninsula to secure domestic supplies of minerals such as lithium that are crucial to electric-vehicle battery production.

Many of those mines will be on the lands of the Indigenous Sami people, which have come under unprecedented pressure since the invasion of Ukraine. Aleksandr Slupachik, a Sami activist from Kola forced to flee to Norway from Russia, says two mines have already been developed on traditional reindeer herding pastures. “I think it will cause big ecological problems in the future,” he says.
Areas once set aside as nature reserves – such as the Lake Seidozero region, a sacred Sami site – are also being opened to industry, according to Andrei Danilov, another Russian Sami activist in exile. “There is no question of any observance of international law and coordination with Indigenous peoples,” he says. “Vulnerable northern nature is being destroyed – and it cannot be restored.”

Relations with the west, experts say, have been key to preventing these kinds of ecological abuses in the Russian Arctic, and not only in the mining sector. Russia had recently started to invest heavily in Atlantic salmon farming, near important spawning sites across the border in Norway. “The fear is that [with] Russia removing themselves from the international regulation on salmon farming … diseases and sea lice and salmon parasites will proliferate from the big bins of Atlantic salmon,” says Mustonen. Likewise, Norway was one of the only countries investing in cleaning up the sea’s nuclear waste, toxic remnants of the cold war.
Yet if there is environmental destruction, it will be harder than ever for the rest of the world to know about it. Environmental organisations, including Greenpeace and WWF, have been outlawed in Russia, and collaborations on Arctic climate monitoring have almost entirely stopped. “It’s a pity that the network we managed to establish has broken down,” says Lars-Otto Reiersen, who for decades led climate-monitoring projects for the Arctic Council. “I don’t think the Russians are spending money on this.”

Western concern about the environment was critical,” says Florian Vidal, an expert in political ecology at UiT The Arctic University of Norway in Tromsø. “The Russians used to show at least some goodwill.” But with investment now coming primarily from China, India and the Gulf states, “environmental protection … is not a priority”.

This article was amended on 24 July 2023 to remove an image of the Akademik Tryoshnikov polar ship, which is a research vessel, not a military vessel.

Western concern was critical.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would like some ATACMS in my rap sheet please, my IMF loan will clear in a couple of days but you know I'm good for it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

speng31b posted:

anyone wants some byetankie on their rap lmk. the form is now perfected
what about the part where she's naked and straddling him but also firing guns and the blood covers her tits?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh my god they really have completely forgotten the lessons of WWI

you get the idea

lol a bunch of those figures look very similar to some sketches my dad would jot down from memory 25+ years after he got out when explaining how forming defensive lines works in the military. And he was never anything more than a loving truck driver in the army in the late 70s / early 80s.

Motherfuckers done forgot all their basic poo poo.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

My rap sheet is perfectly clean, so a single precision strike by wunderwaffen HIMARS is tone appropriate. secondary to this i also love blood, tits, and blood covered tits

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

comedyblissoption posted:

what about the part where she's naked and straddling him but also firing guns and the blood covers her tits?

violence and sex combining, 3rd impact begins

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
mods please smash my balls with a himar rocket

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
looks like the russians have made a significant step forward in the last week

https://twitter.com/armchairw/status/1684054400309030912?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Al-Saqr posted:

looks like the russians have made a significant step forward in the last week

https://twitter.com/armchairw/status/1684054400309030912?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

the scale is something to consider here. this could be a breakthrough or it could just be more line-shuffling. at the moment it's the russians overrunning some lightly held ukrainian positions in the middle of nowhere, but which could lead somewhere. we'll see!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

speng31b posted:

please

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

HIMARS me.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Some many wonderful posters lost....like tears in rain. Time to die.

(I wasn't going to take the bye tankie on the rap sheet, but if all the other posters are walking off a cliff, i'll be damned if i'm not going to join them)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Anyway, I guess there was a discussion about Oryx and Covert Cabal in the other thread, so might as well talk about it.

The biggest issue with the Oryx numbers probably isn't the destroyed numbers of certain tanks but the general flim flam of the entire way they count losses. Damaged doesn't mean destroyed, and doesn't mean a loss, and I don't know why you would count them as such. Also, abandoned/"captured" doesn't mean a loss unless it can be verified as taken by the other side, and a selfie doesn't count (if Russian soldiers can selfie with a Leo2, it doesn't count as a loss either). That is literally a little less than half the number right there.

Then you get into the actually destroyed tanks, and either you get something completely undefinable or large numbers of tanks that Ukraine only suspiciously uses and probably wouldn't be in general Russian service. Some may be old separatist weapons or whatever, but they are way too many of them, especially of T-64s/T-72a and the general "we don't know" category. There is a good chunk of these.

Then you finally have the "meat" which is destroyed tanks of identifiable Russian models, and yes, there are still hundreds of these. That said, there are still duplicates or only damaged tanks. In the end, I will give the most benefit of the doubt to this category because it is a war and things blow up. If you want to say that Russia probably lost at least 500-700 tanks (based on these identifiable numbers), that is fine, but the rest is just mostly on faith, and that dramatically changes the context of what is occurring.

Finally, Covert Cabal came out of a video that 5,000 SPGs/artillery pieces came out of Russian reserves, and he came to the conclusion that they destroyed (even Oryx claims only 700 got destroyed). I guess it never passed through their heads that the Russians may actually be getting all this artillery in reserve for something, and they may be you know...outfitting hundreds of thousands of troops.

It is a just a much of now unfunded hucksterism, but a fight was picked in the other thread, so might as well laid it out...again.

Also quite independent from any particular issue with the Oryx methodology it seems unlikely to give correct results should there be a concerted effort to juice the numbers. And how could there not be? Ukraine absolutely needs to tell the story of how they are a good investment and a lot of our indisputable observations point to this being an important factor in their decision making, e.g. starting the offensive in time for the NATO summit, throwing enormous amounts of resources into Bakhmut after it became important for the narrative. Russia doesn't have to go to that much effort to convince anyone of anything since the people they'd need to convince are in comfortable police baton reach.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
there's a strange lack of a firm origin for all the data because of this osint poo poo. When the leaks came out we found out that the US military is using Oryx data as their primary source of intel on Russian losses. Which is weird to me because i would think they'd do this stuff themselves? But instead everyone is using data from just some guys? And they're not getting it from a military source, because they're 'osint' so they just look at photos and guess. And then all the other OSINT's all use each others data in one giant ouroborus of bullshit. At no point is anyone questioning the quality of the intel which is weird when its just a bunch civilians.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

right, with the invasion the state has been going hard at joining the western economic order (and has been empowered to do so; things which would previously be unheard of even in a state like ukraine have become routine since the invasion) and that is a deep threat to the oligarch class. what i'm talking about is more the "anticorruption"/westernisation angle from the maidan project

the rules are selectively enforced against inconvenient members of the power elite; what makes the post-soviet model so weird is that the most powerful local bigwigs could effectively make themselves invulnerable, acting on the state with relative impunity. to put it this way: elon musk works for the US-led system, and is rewarded for it. post-soviet oligarchs wield their states directly, they are able to exert individual agency over the local economy through a combination of political clout, underworld connections and clever positioning. none of that helps when the state has another direction and you could genuinely be jailed or killed for protesting too loudly. this kind of selective enforcement is also quite common in other systems - in china, for instance, bo xilai is imo a good example of something like this; the guy got out of line, and so he no longer got away with it.

putin's biggest achievement in russia was dethroning the oligarch class and establishing some ground rules for the russian elites; effectively, he offered them silver or lead and made some very clear examples out of oligarchs who refused to fall in line. the deal was, essentially, that they could keep their status as political capitalists connected to the regime, but that they would be politically loyal within certain limits - and that once putin said "stop", they loving stopped. he has been able to navigate this position fairly well through the years, though the prigozhin fiasco was imo a case of him making a fairly serious blunder. i suspect that he's past his prime, which is a concern; it is not clear who else could take up his mantle as power broker and elite umpire.

I would quibble with the timeline. Ukraine's oligarchs used to happily skip between the western and eastern blocks without a care in the world, but that stopped with maidan. I'd at least partly claim that as a success for the US personal sanction policy that escalated in the last decade (and has the downside of forcing the Russian bourgeoisie to become national again)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

Some many wonderful posters lost....like tears in rain. Time to die.

(I wasn't going to take the bye tankie on the rap sheet, but if all the other posters are walking off a cliff, i'll be damned if i'm not going to join them)

Not so much off a cliff, more into well prepared layered defenses with no support or surprise

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Not so much off a cliff, more into well prepared layered defenses with no support or surprise

They heroically walked into a giant woodchipper.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Also quite independent from any particular issue with the Oryx methodology it seems unlikely to give correct results should there be a concerted effort to juice the numbers. And how could there not be? Ukraine absolutely needs to tell the story of how they are a good investment and a lot of our indisputable observations point to this being an important factor in their decision making, e.g. starting the offensive in time for the NATO summit, throwing enormous amounts of resources into Bakhmut after it became important for the narrative. Russia doesn't have to go to that much effort to convince anyone of anything since the people they'd need to convince are in comfortable police baton reach.

Yeah, Oryx themselves wear their bias on their sleeve, they don't give additional information (which is a real issue considering a lot of their stats are based on faith, and they clearly at least had a background with other OSINT/INT groups. It doesn't help that they are also walking away in a few months.

There could potentially be some useful info in there, the Russians have some losses, as one would expect in a peer to peer (ish) war. Not all of the videos are fake (although there is plenty of chicanery as well), and it is a real war. You do get some weird assumptions, like the Covert Cabal thinking anything taken out of storage is a loss, but yeah the bits of information out there to help create a picture of what is going on.

That said...I don't think the Russian people are being kept in line with police batons, it is just the war isn't affecting them that much, and in all honesty, it is making people some money. Arguably, the Russian government has been using more carrots than sticks.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't trust oryx to tell me the correct price for a latte even if the prices were on the wall behind them. Waste of time going through their output.

You can see why the funding didn't continue.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

there's a strange lack of a firm origin for all the data because of this osint poo poo. When the leaks came out we found out that the US military is using Oryx data as their primary source of intel on Russian losses. Which is weird to me because i would think they'd do this stuff themselves? But instead everyone is using data from just some guys? And they're not getting it from a military source, because they're 'osint' so they just look at photos and guess. And then all the other OSINT's all use each others data in one giant ouroborus of bullshit. At no point is anyone questioning the quality of the intel which is weird when its just a bunch civilians.

if you have no basis for your claims then they can't be disproven either

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, Oryx themselves wear their bias on their sleeve, they don't give additional information (which is a real issue considering a lot of their stats are based on faith, and they clearly at least had a background with other OSINT/INT groups. It doesn't help that they are also walking away in a few months.

There could potentially be some useful info in there, the Russians have some losses, as one would expect in a peer to peer (ish) war. Not all of the videos are fake (although there is plenty of chicanery as well), and it is a real war. You do get some weird assumptions, like the Covert Cabal thinking anything taken out of storage is a loss, but yeah the bits of information out there to help create a picture of what is going on.

That said...I don't think the Russian people are being kept in line with police batons, it is just the war isn't affecting them that much, and in all honesty, it is making people some money. Arguably, the Russian government has been using more carrots than sticks.

I mean, they are in the general sense. Unless you're very sure that the state will collapse tomorrow you'll have to go to your job, no matter how you feel about that or the war. Ukraine has a much less direct claim on the productive capacity its war effort depends on.
Edit: Basically what I'm saying is that it's not a reasonable assumption to treat oryx numbers as a floor for losses, there's considerable uncertainty on both sides.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Jul 26, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

I mean, they are in the general sense. Unless you're very sure that the state will collapse tomorrow you'll have to go to your job, no matter how you feel about that or the war. Ukraine has a much less direct claim on the productive capacity its war effort depends on.
Edit: Basically what I'm saying is that it's not a reasonable assumption to treat oryx numbers as a floor for losses, there's considerable uncertainty on both sides.

It is also just where the burden of proof is so far: we have seen how the offensive has gone, we have heard lengthy complaints from the Ukrainian side about of a wide variety of issues, and the general contour of the battlefield itself has shown itself. If you want to convince me the Russians are losing or taking far worse trades, you need more than some blurry pictures of unidentifiable wreckage. I wouldn't go to the other threads to talk about it because it is simply a waste of time.

It is just this site in particular is probably one of the most bipolar on the internet, ironically enough, specifically on this issue. It is so old, compartmentalized fully in the same way as other sites, and you get some interesting interactions.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:30 on Jul 26, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

lol

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

speng31b posted:

oh hell yes

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

speng31b posted:

Hit me

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
man, i sure hope there are no byetankies homing in on my smartphone as i prepare to hit submit reply on these internet posts

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Glenn’s right

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Egg Moron posted:

Glenn’s right

extremely funny that libs got themselves in a huff over whether👌 was a secret nazi code and then gleefully supported Ukranian nazis not too long after

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
That scene in Rome, ox blood covered deranged Roman naked noblewoman.

speng hit me up.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

So the Pentagon intentionally uses juiced numbers to lie to themselves? Why would you do that its not going to give you more funding? This is Biden's war not Pentagon's war.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

:byetankie: :blaster: :blastback:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Oh god take your wunderwaffen and hit me right in the foxhole